Metal Storm logo
How do you listen to music?

Original post

Posted by corrupt, 02.03.2009 - 21:48
How do you listen to music?

This is about your whole approach to music, known and new.
Say, you are interested in an album, what do you do? Do you buy it and listen to the CD/LP or do you download it and listen to mp3s? Do you really spend time exclusively with an album, reading the booklet while listening or is music just playing all the time in your stereo and whatever is new will just play while you do something else. Or do you not even care about albums but just listen to songs and random playlists? And also, where do you listen to music? At home, in the car, on the move with a portable player, I'm interested in all that.
I often hear from people who buy a CD, put it in the player and then listen to it actively. Tried it many times and I have to say it's not for me. I always need to do something else, not to get bored. The only place where I can actively listen to music is on the move. When I sit on the underground and don't have anything else to do, that's my time for that.

When I get interested in a band I usually check MS for a good album to start with and then download that one. When I was younger I just bought CDs at the prospect of getting good music and was disappointed far too often. If I like an album, I can always buy it later. But buying an album and later finding out that it sucks balls is a horrible experience (not only for the wallet). The important thing is of course to actually buy it later and not just use it as an excuse for downloading.
When I have it, I just play it on my pc until I leave the house next time. I found that listening to music with earphones makes the whole thing much more enjoyable. There are quite a bunch of albums I only started to like because of the earphone experience. So I usually get deeply into music when I sit on the underground doing nothing else than listening. And of course it takes time. Usually, to fully grasp an album I have to give it about a months time to work on me. Sometimes I even longer. Those are mostly the albums that finally end up as my very favourites. Music that might even seem repelling at first slowly starting to make an impression and getting me to appreciate aspects I never realised before. And of course I revisit all those albums in the following months. Sometimes just to check if the experience has changed over time but most often because after starting with something else I find out that I really wasn't finnished with the old one and really just like to listen to it again.
I guess this sounds more algorithmic than it is. It's really a very natural way of getting into new music. And the time it takes sometimes, and the new aspects of music you discover in that time are mostly the best part of it all.

And of course I always have something playing when I'm at home. That is mostly driven by a mood for certain music.
03.05.2011 - 16:00
Hellios
Account deleted
I usually listen to death and black metal during night, when everything is dark in my room. (And i mean the real death and black metal not some poser crap like job for a cowboy or dimmu borgir) I listen to thrash and heavy during daytime, Listening to metal is like a religion to me, I don't listen to metal while doing other things because i can't concentrate listening to the music, I like it when METAL is the only thing in front of me and nothing else will bother me, Also i don't like IPODS and all the other new shit, i like it in the stereo loud! the old school tr00 way..now that's metal!
05.05.2011 - 01:46
ANGEL REAPER
With headphones ,carefully analyzing each tone in every song i hear....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
05.05.2011 - 05:55
U47
Basically depends on my mood, but usually over my speakers during the day and with headphones in the evening, because of my neighbours .
23.05.2012 - 01:00
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.02.2011 at 02:01

I catch on to albums very quickly - meaning I don't usually need to give something 10 complete listens to "get it" and I rarely need to give my undivided attention to anything.

Does it mean that on your second spin you listen to the songs as if you've listened a lot of times before (As if you've memorized it)?
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
23.05.2012 - 05:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Oaken on 23.05.2012 at 01:00
Does it mean that on your second spin you listen to the songs as if you've listened a lot of times before (As if you've memorized it)?

More or less, ya. I'm not one of those people who "discover" new things with every listen. I normally just absorb everything from the get-go. :/
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
23.05.2012 - 05:21
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 23.05.2012 at 05:16

More or less, ya. I'm not one of those people who "discover" new things with every listen. I normally just absorb everything from the get-go. :/

I used to think i was like that, but I found if I listened a few more times, I noticed riffs or beats that I didn't notice the first time, or even overlooked.

I used to think Despised Icon's Consumed By Your Poison was just average, but now after repeat listens, it's one of my favourites.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
23.05.2012 - 05:26
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Boxcar Willy on 23.05.2012 at 05:21
I used to think i was like that, but I found if I listened a few more times, I noticed riffs or beats that I didn't notice the first time, or even overlooked.

There are still some albums that take me at least two listens to understand, but it's very rare. To be honest I can't think of anything I've listened to recently that took me more than the first go to get it. Further listens haven't revealed anything new.

The last album I remember listening to that I initially disliked and later "learned" to like... I can't think of one right now but I'll come back to this with an answer.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
23.05.2012 - 11:58
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Troy Killjoy on 23.05.2012 at 05:16

That's quite impressive. Personally,I've never had good listening habits, it's always tryhard. I've decided to make June (when school ends) a "Beta" version month for listening habits. If I still have the "tryhard" problem, I guess I'll have to look for something other than music to be interested in.
----
23.05.2012 - 12:15
Fredd
Account deleted
I listen in two settings. First, on public transport on my way to college and back (an hour in traffic) and this is where I listen to new stuff. This is how I usually give a new album its two listens. Second is at home while studying, usually to albums that have impressed me on the first listens.
23.05.2012 - 12:27
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Guest on 23.05.2012 at 12:15

I listen in two settings. First, on public transport on my way to college and back (an hour in traffic) and this is where I listen to new stuff. This is how I usually give a new album its two listens. Second is at home while studying, usually to albums that have impressed me on the first listens.

Thanks for teh reply.
----
23.05.2012 - 13:18
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Oaken on 23.05.2012 at 12:27

Written by Guest on 23.05.2012 at 12:15

Thanks for teh reply.

What reply?
23.05.2012 - 13:30
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
As long as music phone and internet is with me, I don't have any problem.
23.05.2012 - 14:24
Lit.
Account deleted
I create music videos in my head.
23.05.2012 - 14:34
Zealot644
Depends. I like listening to it and excluding everything else (Hooray noise cancelling headphones!).

Whole album listens are definitely a must though... It used to not matter to me when I was a kid with a few MP3's, but now that I've got actual full albums from a bunch of bands I cant simply skip through to a certain song - it just feels wrong.
23.05.2012 - 14:34
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 23.05.2012 at 14:24

I create music videos in my head.

I thought I was the only one!

I also imagine preforming certain songs on stage lol.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
23.05.2012 - 17:01
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Boxcar Willy on 23.05.2012 at 14:34

I do this more often than is healthy.
----
24.05.2012 - 00:29
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 23.05.2012 at 17:01

I do this more often than is healthy.

If there's something more brutal than singing an extreme metal song in the shower is to also play an invisible instrument. I also do this way too often
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
24.05.2012 - 01:45
Edmund Fogg
Written by X-Ray Rod on 24.05.2012 at 00:29

If there's something more brutal than singing an extreme metal song in the shower is to also play an invisible instrument. I also do this way too often

The instrument I play with in the shower is very real Back to topic. I listen to music in public transportation, at work and when I'm back at home. I also like to listen while reading. And sometimes when I'm not discovering new bands, I like to watch movie clips on mute and try them with different song samples. My best so far is Sky is Mine from Amorphis with the Plane Crash scene from Breaking Bad.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
24.05.2012 - 12:55
snake? snaaaake!
Account deleted

I do this with almost every song, i cringe at myself sometimes
24.05.2012 - 23:05
Written by Guest on 24.05.2012 at 12:55

I do this with almost every song, i cringe at myself sometimes

dont feel bad, I air-rock out in imaginary concerts when no one else is around.
blast the metal
bounce around and make metal-ish faces like imthe front man
look like an idiot
enjoy life

...at least I don't own a skullet wig if I wanted to pretend to be Devin Townsend
24.05.2012 - 23:11
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by chronic-headache on 24.05.2012 at 23:05

...at least I don't own a skullet wig if I wanted to pretend to be Devin Townsend

I'd rather pretend to be bald Devin anyway.
21.02.2013 - 21:49
Well, despite the fact that I do not have much time for music this year because of my school tasks, I listen to music while I go to school in the school bus. This year my time for music is so limited. When I go to bed I wish to wake up quickly to listen to music.
23.02.2013 - 12:10
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
If I'm interested in an album, I listen to it at Spotify. If I like what I hear, I buy the CD. Then, I listen to the CD, while following the booklet. How I listen to music, depends. Sometimes I listen to music exclusively, sometimes in the car, and I'm always listening to music when I'm sleeping
25.02.2013 - 20:09
Jtbmetal123
I watch videos on Youtube to see if i would like their music and If I do, I go to a record store down the road and buy everything they have. I listen to everything and go through the booklet. Or I pre order albums and wait till it comes in the mail and listen to it.
27.02.2013 - 15:04
Wargus
Account deleted
I only listen to metal (call me narrowminded if you want), but I don't have the financial resources to buy everything. So if I choose, I choose things metal.
Sometimes I download music, depends on what other people on the net have to offer. Youtube is also a nice source. If I really like what I hear, I buy the cd. I buy most of my cds online, I hardly go to recordstores anymore. Sometimes make I blind purchases, based on reviews I've read.
I listen to music on a daily base. Everytime I take the train to work and back I listen to music on my Creative Zen. Friday evening is my music-evening, then I listen to cds with the booklet in my left hand and a pint in my right hand. I always listen with my headphones on.
08.03.2013 - 20:13
squidrick420
I listen to music most of the time and in various different ways. First of all I buy and collect all of my music; everything from cd's to vinyl (including cassettes and im getting an 8 track player soon). The places i listen to music are commonly...
A) In the car, something about driving and blasting metal is a religious experience almost. I love making the music match the atmosphere of wherever I am driving, it also helps ease the boring/long daily commute over the same stretch of highway everyday.
B) At home in my room through speakers. Most of the time when I am blasting music in my room I'm either working on homework, hitting the bong, or playing an rpg video game (metal + skyrim rules).
C) Working out or running. I work out like its the fucking 80's! Short shorts, walkman blasting mixtapes in my big headphones (usually listening to 70's + 80's heavy metal mix with Mercyful Fate, Witch Cross, Omen, Megadeth, Bathory, Sabbath, and stuff like that.)
09.03.2013 - 06:05
nasmith
I'm a cheap-ass. I just get on my computer and listen to videos via YouTube for free. Gives me inspiration on what to play on my one guitar (sorry for the link, I had to), which I play just about every day.
09.03.2013 - 23:43
skrog1
Either surfing YouTube, in my car (mp3) or off my iPhone while I'm working out.
----
LIKE THE OFFICIAL SKROG FACEBOOK PAGE TODAY!!!!

http://facebook.com/Skrogband