03. The Gift Of Providence
04. Mystical Pentagram
05. Half Identity
06. Ancient Reflection
07. Circles And Crosses
08. Passione Della Carne
09. XI Comandment
10. Textures Of Delight

...A Splendid Chaos is the third album of the Italian melodic death metal band Coram Lethe.
The fact that they have a female vocalist is bound to draw in comparisons with Arch Enemy, so let's address it now. Erica's voice does resemble Angela's angry vocals, as their tones are quite similar; but Erika sometimes sound like a female Chuck Schuldiner too. Plus, she can do some nice deep growls!

This said, let's check the music, shall we?
Well, even if we're speaking of melodic death, it's not Arch Enemy. Coram Lethe are much more technical and progressive in their songwriting. In fact, the songwriter is obviously a huge fan of Death (the band), because the music sounds a bit similar to the middle and late eras of Chuck Schuldiner's lifework. However, Coram Lethe are a bit more extreme (as can be heard with the numerous breaks, for example), and more melodic too, especially in the soloing.

At this point of the review, you might think something along the lines of 'bah, just another copycat'. Well, that's not really true. While the band should certainly move a bit further from their roots, this album has its good points too! The melodies range from 'quite good' to 'really cool' (check the interlude Ancient Reflections), some bass lines are quite groovy (as on the intro Splendid Chaos) and Circles And Crosses is really catchy, as are the riffs of XI Commandment.

So, apart from the two big similarities outlined above, Coram Lethe are a good and interesting combo. All fans of the aforementioned bands, but also also lovers of proggy death metal should have a pleasant time listening to ...A Splendid Chaos...

Written on 03.03.2009 by Once your regular Hellfest reporter, now retired. I (strangely enough) listen to a lot of metal. And enjoy good beers, comics, novels and role-playing games.

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 96 users
03.03.2009 - 02:34
Rating: 8
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Hey thanks for reviewing them, I was not familiar with the band before And the samples on their page sound quite good! Not too over the top with progressive death so there are some catchy parts, but still complex and, great aggressive vocals. I'll definitely look for the rest of the disc.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
03.03.2009 - 06:55
Rating: 7
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Crap, why did you mention Death and Chuck Schuldiner? Now I have to download and listen to this
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
04.03.2009 - 03:16
Piranha

Written by K✞ulu on 03.03.2009 at 06:55

Crap, why did you mention Death and Chuck Schuldiner? Now I have to download and listen to this

Me pasó lo mismo al leer el nombre de Chuck Schuldiner en la review. Lo escuché y suena bastante interesante.
04.03.2009 - 03:44
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Piranha on 04.03.2009 at 03:16

Me pasó lo mismo al leer el nombre de Chuck Schuldiner en la review. Lo escuché y suena bastante interesante.

Only in english please!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
04.03.2009 - 16:18
Piranha

Written by Darkside Momo on 04.03.2009 at 03:44

Only in english please!

I'm a little lazy to write in english everything i said before but f*ck it.
What i said was that the only reason that appeals me in this review to listen the album was when you compare Erika's voice with Chuck's, then i started to look A splendid chaos. I've listened it and it sounds interesting. Nice review, good album and a promising band. 7/10 for me
04.03.2009 - 17:15
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Piranha on 04.03.2009 at 16:18

Written by Darkside Momo on 04.03.2009 at 03:44

Only in english please!

I'm a little lazy to write in english everything i said before but f*ck it.
What i said was that the only reason that appeals me in this review to listen the album was when you compare Erika's voice with Chuck's, then i started to look A splendid chaos. I've listened it and it sounds interesting. Nice review, good album and a promising band. 7/10 for me

OK! Thank you
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
05.03.2009 - 21:05
Rating: 7
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Erika's voice does resemble Angela's voice, and the music they play is similar to Arch Enemy, but I didn't notice many Schuldiner influences.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
13.09.2009 - 14:06
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I'll get this album. I like Arch Enemy and Death, so let's see what they have to offer.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
15.09.2009 - 12:27
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I think the album is interesting, you're rating is about right. It was better than I was expecting. I see the resemblance with Angela's vocals but I also find differences, she has her own thing.

As for the music, it is very different from what Arch Enemy are doing, which is a good thing. Some really catchy riffs in this album combined with heaviness.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram

Hits total: 6259 | This month: 13