03. My Dark Desires
04. The Dawn No More Rises
05. When Angels Forever Die
06. The Fire Eternal
07. Satan's Mayhem
08. Shadows Over Transylvania
09. Bloodfrozen
10. Satanic Blood [Von cover]
11. Dark Are The Path To Eternity (A Summoning Nocturnal)

Disc II [2007 Regain Records reissue]
01. Shadows Over Transylvania
02. The Dawn No More Rises
03. The Secrets Of The Black Arts
04. Satan's Mayhem
05. Bloodfrozen
06. My Dark Desires
07. Dark Are The Path To Eternity (A Summoning Nocturnal)
08. The Fire Eternal
09. Call From The Grave

After a good mini-cd published in 1994, one of the most malicious bands came back with a beautifull full length called "The Secrtes of The Black Arts" (great title and catchy artwork of the cover that represents a sect coming from an ancient temple carrying a kind of coffin). Eleven songs of pure strength, devotion to Satan and screams that we had never heard from other black metal bands; Themgoroth dedicated odes to his lord like no one had done before and Blackmoon wrote some of the best lyrics in all the BM world.

Songs like "My Dark Desires" and "The Dawn No More Rises" are really catchy, though they're in a black metal album we can perfectly hear the chorus. The voice of Themgoroth is great, it never disappoints, it's never repetitive; one of the best BM screams ever. The singer's voice changes from a very- well done scream to a kind of growl (or deeper scream) in the song "Satanic Blood" (VON cover). The structure of this CD is quite simple, all the songs are made of one or two main riffs with the same fast notes for both the guitars; during the riff one of the guitar, in the case of the titletrack Lord Ahriman's one, starts its own part always standing by the riffing in a really catchy way. Though there aren't solos this album is always good, the ability of the band is this; they managed perfectly to take the listener into a tempest in the infernal abyss for 40 minutes of mere Black Metal like the Norwegian masters have taught us.

This is a great album, from which a lot of bands have taken ideas, but this band is unique and is still making fuckin noise in the name of the strong power of BM. To all the Black metallers: "This is a cd to have!"

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written by dark awakening | 08.07.2006

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 122 users
11.07.2006 - 04:43
Susan
Smeghead
Great review. I only listen to BM on occasion but after reading this review I had to hear the album. I found some songs online from this album and love it. The opening song The Secret of the Black Arts is on the band's myspace page and it really really blew me away. Thanks
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
11.07.2006 - 16:02
Rating: 9
dark awakening

Thank you for the compliments
----
Baptized in a lake of acid tears...
19.07.2006 - 18:36
Doommaker
Account deleted
HAIL DARK FUNERAL:banger:
20.07.2006 - 04:04
Damnated
Churchburner
Damn good review, I just have to listen to it, although I really hate Dark Funeral.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
02.08.2006 - 22:15
Southern Wind
Account deleted
This is a good album but it's dreadfully full of fillers... it has 4 very good songs and all the rest suck, I think a 6 would be a fair rating...

I think Dark Funeral released one very good album (Diabolis Interium) and all the rest are between mediocre and decent.
02.08.2006 - 22:19
dark awakening

@ Southern Wind:
Diabolis Interium is the first shitty album of this band, The Secrets of the Black arts is the masterpiece
----
03.08.2006 - 00:30
Damnated
Churchburner
I listened to it, and I don't think it's that good. It has it's moments, but it's not a good album.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
06.08.2006 - 04:37
Geist

Themgoroth doesnt do Vocals on "Satanic Blood", Blackmoon does. Say's it in the booklet itself.
06.08.2006 - 10:28
dark awakening

oh, thanks. I didn't know that.
----
14.12.2006 - 12:07
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Good review friend,
This review can give a true picture of this album.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
21.04.2009 - 23:16
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Average album. Doesn't deserve a 9 in any way. ''The Dawn no more rises'' is a great song thou.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
09.05.2009 - 22:37
visionaire

Nah, it's a good one! The Secrets of Black Arts is so warm to me, I dunno why=)
30.10.2009 - 22:51
Rating: 8
Slayer666

Written by Uirapuru on 21.04.2009 at 23:16

Average album. Doesn't deserve a 9 in any way. ''The Dawn no more rises'' is a great song thou.

Sure as hell not average, man! I agree that it doesn't deserve a 9 though.... 7.5-8 from me.

Hits total: 8358 | This month: 9