03. Nyctophobia
04. Entombed In Silence Above
05. Beneath The Embers Of Time
06. Deathless
07. Slashed By Shards Of Existence
    1 - I: Wounds
    2 - II: Echoes
    3 - III: Exit

Necronoclast – proof that first impressions are not always right. In fact, they can be very deceiving. Of course everyone knew that already, but sometimes you just need a little reminder. Well, let me tell you, I just got one. From my first encounter with the band I wasn't expecting much, but when I put the album on for a spin I ended up on the other end of the room, haircut ruined and the room itself ravaged: blown away.

"Haven", third album in two years, is a beast of an album and Black metal in its darkest and most sardonic form. Key influences for this album have surely been Katatonia (Dance Of December Souls) and Shining (mostly old Shining, first three albums). What this album portrays is powerful, ecstatic raw depression. "Haven" is full of dark, heinous bursts of power that possess you while listening.

Each and every song is interesting, diverse and coherent. Slower and softer moments morph into full-out hymns of hatred with a completely natural flow. Some of Edwards' vocals have the same vomit/throat ripping/warped touch to them that Kvarforth also portrays in Shining. Both the drums and the bass are very supportive of the dark mood, through really varied yet entrancing drums and eerie bass lines.

And the riffs, oh man, the riffs. They're dark, powerful and always far above average, with a spellbinding touch to them. When the riffs go completely overboard – fast, furious and harsh – and Edwards throws out one final utterly dismal scream; very Shining-esque. The album culminates in the three-piece opus "Slashed By Shards Of Existence", a magnificent work of razor-sharp riffs, haunting basslines, eerie vocals and an atmosphere more oppressive than 1.000 bar on your head.

It pleases me to say that even with strong influences Edward (sole member of) has managed to create a sound of his own, fresh and malicious. "Haven" is a must-check for the fans of old Katatonia and early Shining and anyone else that likes his Black metal dark, depressive, disturbing and demonic. Judging by the MySpace songs, this album has been a great improvement from the last one, so I'm already craving for a fourth release!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written on 07.03.2009 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 99 users
08.03.2009 - 15:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
O shit... The beginning of the song "Entombed In Silence Above" was so good.

It really remains me of old Katatonia and early Shining but without being a copycat of those bands.
And the vocals are also very good. Like Kvarforth's but way lower.

A great band... I will check them out.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
31.01.2011 - 18:19
Windrider
Raureif
Without the little number on the left side your review sounds like >9.5... But interesting to read, I think I'm gonna check them out!

Hits total: 4834 | This month: 11