09. Cold, Deathless, Unrepentant
10. Immaculate Facade
11. Burying The Hatchet
12. Beg, You Dogs
13. Betrayer [limited edition bonus]
14. They Bleed [limited edition bonus]
15. Seeing Through My Eyes [Broken Bones cover]
16. Largactyl [Amebix cover]

The last time I'd heard the music of Benediction, "Barney" Greenway was still in the band. With the brand new album "Killing Music" brought to my attention, and my like for their current vocalist Dave Hunt (and his work with Anaal Nathrakh), I figured it was about time to give this band another try in their new era. Listening to Killing Music though instantly reminded me why I liked Benediction in the first place and there isn't much to not like about Killing Music.

Some albums you hear straight away launch into what you're going to experience for the most part. Seeing the track list for Killing Music, I saw that it had an intro track to begin things. Expecting a solid guitar and drums type thing I was surprised to hear some symphonic music. I apprehensively waited for track two?which launched into a solid fast riffing/cleverly spaced drumming combination. Phew! A Symphonic/Death Metal Benediction would seem a little weird. The band have really brought a winning formula to the table though; brutal guitars, very talented and fast drumming and vocals which have pretty much the perfect amount of decipherability and aggression for Death Metal. The guitars swap between a lower Grindcore style and really solid brutal riffing. Dave Hunt's vocal work is deep and full of absolute strength, its great picking some of the words he says and at the same time enjoying the complete harshness and force behind them. Nicholas Howard Barker's speed and precision shines through on Killing Music too. Apart from the sound of his drums being perfect, the variation and ability to blast out when required is second to none. Benediction borrows a little from Napalm Death's best work on this album but why wouldn't you; it's a brilliant formula. Plus the modern spin put on works excellently.

While just about every album sounds better on a better sound system, with Killing Music it's close to a necessity. The production is a highlight of the album, so it seems a waste to mask it. When played loud on a decent set of speakers though, the brilliance and brutality will just flow through you.

Killing Music really won't stop making you headbang though; it's heavy but well written and you can't help but get into it. I'd actually love to hear some of this stuff live, but for the moment I'll settle with having it pound out of my speakers!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 10

Written by Raiden | 09.03.2009

Comments

Comments: 21   Visited by: 245 users
09.03.2009 - 14:34
Rating: 7
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
I'm gonn hear it live in 50 days!!!
also NICE review!!!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
09.03.2009 - 19:43
Damnated
Churchburner
"The band have really brought a winning formula to the table though; brutal guitars, very talented and fast drumming and vocals which have pretty much the perfect amount of decipherability and aggression for Death Metal."
yes, that is benediction. they are bringing this "winning formula" for 20 years now. decent old-school death metal. nothing to be excited about.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
09.03.2009 - 21:50
Rating: 8
sq_xeper

"The last time I'd heard the music of Benediction, "Barney" Greenway was still in the band"
That means that you've only listen to one record of Benediction 'cause Barney only did the Subconcious Terror album.
Killing Music its a great record, not their best one but the sound its better than the last ones and its has a lot of heavy riffs that makes the album very enjoyable
----
The only way to learn is be aware and hold on tight...
10.03.2009 - 00:27
Galar
Wicked Mung
FLAWLESS album!
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
10.03.2009 - 00:32
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Written by sq_xeper on 09.03.2009 at 21:50

"The last time I'd heard the music of Benediction, "Barney" Greenway was still in the band"
That means that you've only listen to one record of Benediction 'cause Barney only did the Subconcious Terror album.
Killing Music its a great record, not their best one but the sound its better than the last ones and its has a lot of heavy riffs that makes the album very enjoyable

Yep pretty much... I haven't heard many of their other albums in their entirety.
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
10.03.2009 - 04:00
Andreas666

Let me tell you something, in this review it seems like you missed the best benediction's era... Dave Ingram's. Do you really call yourself a death metal fan (& review a benediction album) without hearing to Transcend the rubicon or The dreams you dread...????
man, Killing music is a decent work in death metal, but has nothing to do against the 90's benediction line-up.
10.03.2009 - 06:13
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Written by Andreas666 on 10.03.2009 at 04:00

Let me tell you something, in this review it seems like you missed the best benediction's era... Dave Ingram's. Do you really call yourself a death metal fan (& review a benediction album) without hearing to Transcend the rubicon or The dreams you dread...????
man, Killing music is a decent work in death metal, but has nothing to do against the 90's benediction line-up.

I wasn't reviewing an old Benediction album so I didn't realise it was essential to mention Dave Ingram...

I'm sorry I "didn't get into Death Metal in the right order", once I die if I find myself reincarnated I'll make sure to try my best to listen to Benediction's middle era before checking out even a skerrick of any other Death Metal...

Killing Music simply seemed worth checking out (and I had to review it) since I liked their debut...
----
- Bruce Dickinson

10.03.2009 - 15:45
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
This interests me. I'll buy it if I EVER see it in a store
----
Coldgrits
11.03.2009 - 02:31
Andreas666

Written by Raiden on 10.03.2009 at 06:13

I wasn't reviewing an old Benediction album so I didn't realise it was essential to mention Dave Ingram...

I'm sorry I "didn't get into Death Metal in the right order", once I die if I find myself reincarnated I'll make sure to try my best to listen to Benediction's middle era before checking out even a skerrick of any other Death Metal...

Killing Music simply seemed worth checking out (and I had to review it) since I liked their debut...

Ok man, for future reviews try to focus only in the record you're writting about... most of all, don't compare to things you don't have complete knowledge, because you're exposed to hurt susceptibilities...
P.S. If you liked K.M. I highly recomend the two recordings above mentioned.
11.03.2009 - 02:41
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Written by Andreas666 on 11.03.2009 at 02:31

Ok man, for future reviews try to focus only in the record you're writting about... most of all, don't compare to things you don't have complete knowledge, because you're exposed to hurt susceptibilities...

What comparisons are you even talking about?
----
- Bruce Dickinson

11.03.2009 - 04:11
Andreas666

Written by Raiden on 11.03.2009 at 02:41

Written by Andreas666 on 11.03.2009 at 02:31

What comparisons are you even talking about?

"Benediction borrows a little from Napalm Death's best work on this album" not agree!!!
but we're going too deep into this topic, I'm pretty sure you've got my point & I've got yours...
cool review for a guy of your age, congrats!!!
12.03.2009 - 17:04
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Well... I'm stunned. The few tracks I heard a while ago sounded really lame, but I guess I'll keep my mind open to the rest of the album (Andres is right about some Ingram stuff being quite good)
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
12.03.2009 - 17:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Syk on 12.03.2009 at 17:04

Well... I'm stunned. The few tracks I heard a while ago sounded really lame, but I guess I'll keep my mind open to the rest of the album (Andres is right about some Ingram stuff being quite good)

But then again imo Benediction's stuff has also be lame, just like Cancer's. Somehow the English should stick to (and should have stuck to) grindcore instead of proper death metal.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.03.2009 - 03:51
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.03.2009 at 17:49

But then again imo Benediction's stuff has also be lame, just like Cancer's. Somehow the English should stick to (and should have stuck to) grindcore instead of proper death metal.

What's wrong with, say, Bolt Thrower?
----
- Bruce Dickinson

13.03.2009 - 17:48
MetalManic

Thanks for this review. The album is pretty good. I too have no knowledge of their mid era. Actually, until I read this review I did not even know of this band. The way I see it is that a review is written based upon what you like about that particular album. Sure you can cast comparisons to previous work and progressions but when it all comes down to it, the more important portion of the topic is the album at hand. This review describes the album wonderfully and upon listening I too agree with many of the points you have made.

---You gotta love getting review advice from non staff (as previously posted). You wouldn't be in your position (as I am sure many envy) with MS if you didn't know what you were talking about
Keep up the great work man!

J
14.03.2009 - 13:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Raiden on 13.03.2009 at 03:51

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.03.2009 at 17:49

What's wrong with, say, Bolt Thrower?

They are the exception to the rule for me
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.03.2009 - 06:05
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Written by MetalManic on 13.03.2009 at 17:48

Thanks for this review. The album is pretty good. I too have no knowledge of their mid era. Actually, until I read this review I did not even know of this band. The way I see it is that a review is written based upon what you like about that particular album. Sure you can cast comparisons to previous work and progressions but when it all comes down to it, the more important portion of the topic is the album at hand. This review describes the album wonderfully and upon listening I too agree with many of the points you have made.

---You gotta love getting review advice from non staff (as previously posted). You wouldn't be in your position (as I am sure many envy) with MS if you didn't know what you were talking about
Keep up the great work man!

J

Thanks for the comment! If a band makes a good album then it's gotta be a good thing that people find out about it and enjoy it too Cheers!

@Marcel: Hehe that's right, got you there
----
- Bruce Dickinson

24.06.2009 - 16:57
Rating: 7
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Imo the production here is SHITTY. the guitars sound awful. it is surely different but this does not mean it is good. i've seen them live and i have to say that this album is very good but the production makes it sound worse... on the live it sounded much, much more better!!!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
09.08.2010 - 16:50
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I've never listened to Benediction. I should probably remedy that.
10.08.2010 - 03:08
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 09.08.2010 at 16:50

Start with their first two albums, then hit up Organised Chaos. These guys are pretty good.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
10.08.2010 - 12:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.08.2010 at 03:08

Written by Guest on 09.08.2010 at 16:50

Start with their first two albums, then hit up Organised Chaos. These guys are pretty good.

Cheers, I'll do just that I haven't been able to get a handle on what people think of this band as opinions seem all over the place.

Hits total: 8677 | This month: 10