01. Divine Step (Conspectu Mortis)
02. Son Of Lilith
03. Semtex Revolution
04. Sirens
05. Metamorphosis
06. Pale Sister
07. About Life
08. I Want You (She's So Heavy) [The Beatles cover]

Coroner is one of those Thrash Metal bands that got disbanded in the early nineties as a result of the overall decline in the scene. However this similarity with other bands of the genre is probably the only one because no one played like Coroner. Of course, there were other bands labeled as Technical Thrash, but not one of them was as cool as them, especially concerning the technical side itself. When this trio play, nothing is static; the music flows with so many changes that it's impossible to get bored.

Mental Vortex, the band's fourth album, is no exception. The music isn't extremely fast in the thrash meaning of it, but the songs are very catchy, and despite the frequent tempo and time signature changes, the sense of melody is definitely present, and songs sound structured. With Mental Vortex Coroner continued with the complex sound of No More Color and took it to even a more amazing level with superb songwriting. The solos are as always skillfully executed and are greatly written, and therefore fit into the songs just fine, not to mention their originality. Tommy T. Baron is one of the best Metal guitar players, both for his mastery of the guitar and great riffage. He is one of those overlooked guitar heroes that every Thrash fan should know, just like Coroner as a band. Markus Edelmann's grunts fit the music as well and are even classic in a way. The quality of recording as usually could be better, but the dark and a bit blurry production goes well with the vocals and atmospheres and themes of the songs. For instance, the beginning of "Metamorphosis" used to absolutely freak me out with its whale wails. Nevertheless the sound quality did become better overall. Mental Vortex can actually be considered the band's best album, and well-deserved I must say. This review wouldn't be full if I didn't mention the cover of The Beatles song "I Want You (She's so Heavy)." This is one of the two covers in Coroner's discography, both amazing pieces (the other one is a Jimi Hendrix song "Purple Haze"). The only thing I am going to say about it is that it's one of the best covers I've ever heard. Listen and see for yourself.

Mental Vortex is a Thrash classic like every other Coroner album basically is. If you are a Thrash fan, and have read to this point, get this album as soon as you can and share the message with those who haven't heard of Coroner and this album in particular. Hail to the true masters of Thrash!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written by K✞ulu | 10.03.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 30   Visited by: 186 users
10.03.2009 - 00:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Nice review and i agree Coroner are overlooked and this album is brilliant.

But just to correct you... they have recorded more than two covers, besides covering Jimi Hendrix and The Beates they also covered D.A.F.'s Der Mussolini
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.03.2009 - 06:58
Rating: 9
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Thank you, but why not correct me during the proofreading stage? and you as usually dig good thrash, and that's why my review got published so quickly
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
10.03.2009 - 17:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by K✞ulu on 10.03.2009 at 06:58

Thank you, but why not correct me during the proofreading stage? and you as usually dig good thrash, and that's why my review got published so quickly

I am asking myself the same question now. Me liking good thrash has noooothing to do with this review getting published that quickely
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.03.2009 - 16:41
Thryce
Retired Staff
Very good album indeed. Most probably one of Coroner's best works, like you said. This is actually the album that got me into Coroner.
But of course the music isn't extremely fast since technical thrash is almost by definition more mid-paced.

It's just too bad you blew so much sunshine up their ass. By over-praising the album that much, the review kind of loses a certain amount of credibility.

PS: don't know if you know Watchtower yet. They might be worth your time too.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
13.03.2009 - 19:15
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Thryce on 13.03.2009 at 16:41

Very good album indeed. Most probably one of Coroner's best works, like you said. This is actually the album that got me into Coroner.
But of course the music isn't extremely fast since technical thrash is almost by definition more mid-paced.

It's just too bad you blew so much sunshine up their ass. By over-praising the album that much, the review kind of loses a certain amount of credibility.

PS: don't know if you know Watchtower yet. They might be worth your time too.

I think it does deserve that high of a rating although I didn't think like this even a month ago. As far as Watchtower, I listened to Control and Resistance, and I remember that it's good, but probably not as good as Coroner, but thanks for reminding me about them; I should definitely listen to it again some time soon.

PS: did I really overpraise it that much? Doesn't it deserve it? Not all their album are as cool.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

23.03.2009 - 17:57
Rating: 8
Dominus
The Shooter
Cool album
05.04.2009 - 12:04
keschte
Account deleted
I absolutely concur, its one the best trash albums ever. you got something wrong there, still. its the bass player ron doing the vocals not marky the drummer: http://www.designvortex.com/coroner/players.htm
05.04.2009 - 13:11
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 05.04.2009 at 12:04

I absolutely concur, its one the best trash albums ever. you got something wrong there, still. its the bass player ron doing the vocals not marky the drummer: http://www.designvortex.com/coroner/players.htm

crap, that's a mistake... hmm... i somehow need to edit this... thanks for pointing out.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

13.05.2009 - 12:22
Rattlehead.cz

I like Coroner and this album is great, but to be honest, I like more the previous three albums.
Best song for me is probably the first one, really amazing song, and I like the cover of Beatles as well.
12.07.2009 - 17:56
In Bone Factory

One the best thrash albums ever.
oh god forgive me coz i've just discovered this great band.16 years after their disbandation.so sad.
----
The End Is Nigh ...
13.07.2009 - 21:55
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Really great album.They should be there in the teutonic thrash hall of fame along with kreator,sodom and destruction
13.07.2009 - 22:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Maxx666 on 13.07.2009 at 21:55

Really great album.They should be there in the teutonic thrash hall of fame along with kreator,sodom and destruction

Why in the teuonic thrash hall of fame? They sound nothing like the big German three.
Okay, they don't play Bay Area Thrash either but also not Teutonic thrash.
If one wants to tag Coroner's brand of thrash it should be technical thrash metal and nothing else.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.07.2009 - 16:19
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.07.2009 at 22:13

If one wants to tag Coroner's brand of thrash it should be technical thrash metal and nothing else.

Nah.. I would say "BRILLIANT Technical Thrash" suits them better.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.07.2009 - 22:38
Maxx666
Meshuggahian

Why in the teuonic thrash hall of fame? They sound nothing like the big German three.

Yeah you got a point there:yes: I mean they are teutonic thrash in the sense that they came from countries neighbouring Germany:
14.07.2009 - 22:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Maxx666 on 14.07.2009 at 22:38

Yeah you got a point there:yes: I mean they are teutonic thrash in the sense that they came from countries neighbouring Germany:

That's what I realised later onn, that that's what you might have meant. But then again Artillery from Denmark also plays Bay Area Thrash
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.07.2009 - 22:50
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.07.2009 at 22:43

Written by Maxx666 on 14.07.2009 at 22:38

That's what I realised later onn, that that's what you might have meant. But then again Artillery from Denmark also plays Bay Area Thrash

Yeah it works kinda like that
14.07.2009 - 22:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Maxx666 on 14.07.2009 at 22:50

Enough nitpicking from me... this is one awesome band, although I am not too much a fan of their debut album. But Mental Vortex is certainly a grande album.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.07.2009 - 22:12
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.07.2009 at 22:51

Written by Maxx666 on 14.07.2009 at 22:50

Enough nitpicking from me... this is one awesome band, although I am not too much a fan of their debut album. But Mental Vortex is certainly a grande album.

Whatever, afterall you are the expert
12.03.2010 - 14:34
silenius

Love this album^^
01.05.2010 - 02:39
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Their is no bigger fan of Coroner than me. However, this album just isn't as good as Punishment for Decadence & No More Color. It can't touch Grin either. Maybe it's the production...the album sounds "processed" 7/10
----
rekt
30.08.2010 - 19:30
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Saw it at disc-go-round for 25 bucks is it worth 25 bucks... i mean i got four albums there for twenty...
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
30.08.2010 - 22:46
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Boxcar Willy on 30.08.2010 at 19:30

Saw it at disc-go-round for 25 bucks is it worth 25 bucks... i mean i got four albums there for twenty...

Well, if I were you I would buy it.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

31.08.2010 - 00:44
Darkside Momo
Retired

It is worth it, but don't forget that Coroner re-unites.... I don't know who holds the rights on their recordings right now, but maybe re-issues will come out next year? Pure guess, but not impossible.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
31.08.2010 - 07:24
Rating: 7
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt

No, this album is not worth $25. Their first three are much better than this release. I'd say preview it on YouTube and then make a decision, but I'm sure you can order it online for much cheaper.
31.08.2010 - 15:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Like Dangerboner said the albums before this one are much better. And are the best they released. But Mental Vortex and Grin are still ver good albums nonetheless. Why a lot of people consider MV to be their best is I think due to the fact that MV saw to it that Coroner all of a sudden got the recognition they deserved due to it being a little more accessible.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.08.2010 - 19:37
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Seems i should buy it on the interweb... Btw for 20 bucks i got...
Korn-Follow The Leader
Entombed-Serpant Saints
Metallica-...And Justice For All
Prong-Cleansing
so...
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
31.08.2010 - 22:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
No offense, but I take Mental Vortex over those 4 albums any day of my entire life.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.09.2011 - 19:29
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
One amazing album, got me headbanging after the first 10 seconds.
02.12.2012 - 15:00
AndMetalForAll
kual21
Agree with your review all the way!! It's almost a perfect example of thrash, only don't agree with your opinion about the The Beatles' cover, I don't find so amazing as you say. Still congratulations for the review...
----
greets,
kual21
26.01.2020 - 17:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Opening statement is right , they did broke up in time, look at sodom, kreator (they came back after gothic albums) , but this genre , noplays it and even other bands, new bands non can catch what this band had, Suisse has 2 good classic bands, and what came later dont counts,
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 9419 | This month: 11