Metal Storm logo
Ambient/black metal

11.07.2006 - 17:15
Ruines
Account deleted
More and more we see black metal bands merging their sounds with a really "ambient" approach. Was wondering if anyone here knows a few of those bands.

Most known and talented bands include :

Nocternity (nothing short of AMAZING albums)
Vinterriket (he's got maybe too many albums but he's really good, and he joined Nocternity as keys player)
Paysage d'Hiver (great raw ambiance and some vinterriket styled keys passage)
11.07.2006 - 22:51
Daru Jericho

Some of Black Funeral's stuff is ambient. Rather enjoyable to me.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

11.07.2006 - 22:57
Ruines
Account deleted
So i've been told.

Yet i haven't take a listen yer since i di not really enjoyed their standard black metal stuff. What does the ambient album sounds like ?
12.07.2006 - 00:13
ItalktotheWind
Wood Troll
I like a lot of ambient black metal, and dark ambient music in general. I havent heard of any of the bands you listed so ill have to check them out. I highly enjoy Xasthur and of course Burzum (the originator of ambient bm).
----
"A witty saying proves nothing."
-Voltaire
12.07.2006 - 00:26
Damnated
Churchburner
Velvet cacoon, but they're more abient then black metal. Hate Forest uses some ambienece, but on a minor level.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
12.07.2006 - 05:19
Ruines
Account deleted
Nocternity - Onyx

check this album out if you haven't, guys. It's my fav in the genre.
13.07.2006 - 11:28
Vakshay
Account deleted
Mmmmm yes Velvet Cacoon but probably only certain albums of Vinterriket, as some are exclusively ambient while others are more the bm/ambient combination you're after . Might be a bit clean and polished for some but I enjoy it, the Winterschatten album anyway.
13.07.2006 - 13:44
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
im not really into ambient black metal stuff anymore. got a bit bored of it.

Vomit Orchestra are excellent though. its completly ambient but with a black metal approach to creating atmosphere
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
02.08.2006 - 12:42
Highlander
Account deleted
Paysage d'Hiver and Vinterriket are just two belters of bands. The Schnee/Das Winterreich split was a great example.

I've got a Nordlicht album somewhere. It's a good album. The guy who does Nordlicht is in a band with the guy from Paysage d'Hiver.
02.08.2006 - 15:58
Ruines
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 02.08.2006 at 12:42

Paysage d'Hiver and Vinterriket are just two belters of bands. The Schnee/Das Winterreich split was a great example.

I've got a Nordlicht album somewhere. It's a good album. The guy who does Nordlicht is in a band with the guy from Paysage d'Hiver.

I don't know Nordlicht, what does it sounds like ?
02.08.2006 - 17:16
Highlander
Account deleted
A bit like Paysage d'Hiver. The guys are in Darkspace, how I found Nordlicht.
02.08.2006 - 19:46
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
ive only heard one song by nordlicht. it was on a compilation (along with an exclusive paysage d hiver track). it sounded quite a lot like xasthur but not so sad (for lack of a better word). i don't know how representative of the band this one track is but im looking to get more at some point.

vaguely similar reccomendation request: does anyoneknow of a band that combines post rock style ambience (like red sparrowes kind of guitar tone and melody) with black metal? ive been thinking about this recently and thought it could be potentially great.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
03.08.2006 - 06:24
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
"So i've been told.

Yet i haven't take a listen yer since i di not really enjoyed their standard black metal stuff. What does the ambient album sounds like ? "

Have you heard their album Ordog?
04.08.2006 - 18:46
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by -tom- on 02.08.2006 at 19:46

vaguely similar reccomendation request: does anyoneknow of a band that combines post rock style ambience (like red sparrowes kind of guitar tone and melody) with black metal? ive been thinking about this recently and thought it could be potentially great.

Ever heard Meads of Asphodel? I wouldn't call them post rock BM, but very experimental. Worth checking out.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
05.08.2006 - 02:53
Fimbulvetr
Account deleted
Maybe you should try Summoning. All their albums utill "Stronghold" are amazing, after "Stronghold" they became more ambient than black and i didn't liked that very much. Anyway still a great band.
05.08.2006 - 03:04
Ruines
Account deleted
Anyone heard of Hithlum ? It's a really obscure band with all tolkien-related songs and they rely heavily on the use of keys to create ambiance (not a la dimmu borgir keys, i mean, really nice keys atmospheres ). Definitely worth the download !
05.08.2006 - 11:48
W-Lash
Metal Master
Try Void of Silence (you will find info about them here on MS).
05.08.2006 - 13:00
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by W-Lash on 05.08.2006 at 11:48

Try Void of Silence (you will find info about them here on MS).

I always thought of Void of Silence as an interesting doom metal band, or something like doom, but not black metal. A great band, nevertheless
----

05.08.2006 - 18:38
W-Lash
Metal Master
Yes, it's interesting and it's hard to say what style is that. But is has something common with black metal so i call it black metal band.
05.08.2006 - 20:06
Highlander
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 05.08.2006 at 03:04

Anyone heard of Hithlum ? It's a really obscure band with all tolkien-related songs and they rely heavily on the use of keys to create ambiance (not a la dimmu borgir keys, i mean, really nice keys atmospheres ). Definitely worth the download !

Vinterriket style? Love the ambience by him
02.09.2006 - 23:44
Damnated
Churchburner
I knew that Lurker Of Chalice was a good band, but only now I'm starting to really get into them. It is not even ambient bm anymore, but psihedelic. Another band I was listening lately is Marblebog,ambient bm from Hungary, a lil more then a Burzum clone, 'Forestheart' is a good album, worth checking out.
----

02.09.2006 - 23:52
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Don't know if it is what you are looking for, but I recommend 'Mystic Forest'. (http://www.mysticforest.tk/)

Mix of Black, Ambient, French Waltz and some Chopin. Damn good stuff.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
02.09.2006 - 23:55
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Lucas on 02.09.2006 at 23:52

Don't know if it is what you are looking for, but I recommend 'Mystic Forest'. (http://www.mysticforest.tk/)

No, Mystic Forest is not ambient black metal. it's romantic
----

02.09.2006 - 23:58
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Damnated on 02.09.2006 at 23:55

Written by Lucas on 02.09.2006 at 23:52

No, Mystic Forest is not ambient black metal. it's romantic

Yeah, that's what they call it. Not another sub-genre war.

It is awesome music at least, so those who don't know, try them!

PS: Isn't the correct spelling Ambient?
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
02.09.2006 - 23:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Damnated on 02.09.2006 at 23:44

I knew that Lurker Of Chalice was a good band, but only now I'm starting to really get into them. It is not even ambient bm anymore, but psihedelic. Another band I was listening lately is Marblebog,ambient bm from Hungary, a lil more then a Burzum clone, 'Forestheart' is a good album, worth checking out.

Lurker of Chalice sprung immediately to mind when I saw this thread. I am a hge Leviathan fan but IMO LoC is superior to Wrest's Leviathan.
LoC can be really spooky too at times. Great music to play at night with only a couple of candles lit. Just sit back enjoy a good Cuban cigar some great Islay single malt whisky and let the music take you down to the darkest deepest abysses of your mind.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.09.2006 - 00:00
Lucas
Mr. Noise
@Ozman. Though I have never listened to it that way, I can imagine and totally agree.
----

03.09.2006 - 00:03
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.09.2006 at 23:58

Written by Damnated on 02.09.2006 at 23:44

Great music to play at night with only a couple of candles lit. Just sit back enjoy a good Cuban cigar some great Islay single malt whisky and let the music take you down to the darkest deepest abysses of your mind.

Might even try that sometimes, although I don't smoke. Maybe a pipe....

According to MA According to a 2004 interview with Wrest there are 4 unreleased full-length albums by Lurker of Chalice.. I say, HOLY SHIT. And what a loss. These albums might not even see the daylight.

@Nervel yeah, it's ambiEnt
----

03.09.2006 - 00:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Xasthur is another band I recommend f you are looking for ambient black metal. Especially Xasthur's latest album (soon to be released by Hydrahead) has a lot fo ambient shit in it. ambient and dronish bm. Great to sit back and listen to and be envelopped by it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.09.2006 - 12:42
Lucas
Mr. Noise
A pipe is smoking too, isn't it?

Anyway, doesn't really matter. I don't really like Leviathan and Xasthur, I think they are much overrated. But yes, Lurker Of Chalice is some real good shit.
----

03.09.2006 - 14:26
Basso
Account deleted
I also thought Xasthur / Leviathan was overrated but they grew on me, they are kinda good imo. About ambient BM I would like to second the recomendation Ruines gave about Vinterriket. very good stuff