Metal Storm logo
Ambient/black metal

Original post

Posted by , 11.07.2006 - 17:15
More and more we see black metal bands merging their sounds with a really "ambient" approach. Was wondering if anyone here knows a few of those bands.

Most known and talented bands include :

Nocternity (nothing short of AMAZING albums)
Vinterriket (he's got maybe too many albums but he's really good, and he joined Nocternity as keys player)
Paysage d'Hiver (great raw ambiance and some vinterriket styled keys passage)
25.03.2010 - 12:29
Alphafemale

Ulver
----
'Proud forest rises towards the sky,
in awe I stand silent
Green path of life amalgamates
With my own belief'
25.03.2010 - 23:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Went through a big phase of ambient black metal and is still a favourite for that unbeatable hypnotic atmosphere.

I've yet to hear a Velvet Cacoon beater but In Vino Veritas and Marblebog are a couple of pretty good virtual clones, not to mention Wrath of the Weak's first album before he abandoned black metal.
25.03.2010 - 23:39
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
One of the most brilliant ambient black metal bands I've come across has got to be Astral Luminous. They have only released one album consisting of four songs so far, but I can already tell that they are fantastic. If you want to listen to them, I took the liberty of uploading the songs to DailyMotion (Lunaric Tide, Astral Luminous, Binaural Vibrancy, Cosmic Dream). I am already waiting in eager anticipation for their next album.
26.03.2010 - 22:33
The Turbanator

Look no further than Trist (Germany). Listen to the full 'Hin' song from his album 'Hin Fort' and you'll know which is the best ambient black metal band. That track will space the fuck out of you.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
08.04.2010 - 23:32
Inlé

Although the ambient black metal buzz seems to be dying down I still love it as a black metal subgenre when done well. Nice to see Nocternity mentioned first! Anyone else here like Vhernen? Grimlair? Nae'Blis? Evilfeast? All good stuff :3
13.04.2010 - 19:56
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I'm clearly doing this whole black metal thing backwards if I'm only just sitting down to listen to Forest Silence. It's been a long time since I've heard an album that epitomises the wintery sound of black metal the way Philosophy of Winter does. I really need to stop ignoring bands with silly, kitsch names. It's nice to hear a band who know how to use synths effectively, even if the album does rarely move out of the mid-paced aesthetic.
16.04.2010 - 05:20
KernelofInfinity

How about ambient projects by metal bands/musicians? Suuri Shamaani by the members of Beherit is excellent.
03.03.2011 - 01:22
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Written by The Turbanator on 26.03.2010 at 22:33

Look no further than Trist (Germany). Listen to the full 'Hin' song from his album 'Hin Fort' and you'll know which is the best ambient black metal band. That track will space the fuck out of you.

I dunno man, I listened to Hin/Fort a couple times a few weeks ago and had a lot of trouble getting into it. Although to be totally honest Fort is one of the creepiest albums I've ever listened to.
03.03.2011 - 03:25
The Turbanator

Written by Marcus on 03.03.2011 at 01:22

Written by The Turbanator on 26.03.2010 at 22:33

I dunno man, I listened to Hin/Fort a couple times a few weeks ago and had a lot of trouble getting into it. Although to be totally honest Fort is one of the creepiest albums I've ever listened to.

Yeah it is well done. That's the main idea of that album. Make you get into atmosphere. The Axis of Perdition is another band that creeps you out. Listen to the album 'Urfe' by them.

Just found a gem of a band. Atmospheric black metal. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM0LAxIsLTM
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
08.06.2011 - 14:05
The Turbanator

Velnias released a new EP last year and it's very well done! I love these guys. More atmospheric than ambient though.
----
11.06.2011 - 23:17
InnerSelf
proofread free
Did not know where else to put this .... it is a song by Ahmad ( my band mate )
he did this for a competition in MA and I wrote the lyrics

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10233260/Adrift%20in%20an%20inner%20tempest.mp3
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
12.06.2011 - 00:09
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
This thread died on the first page imo... Right in the minute when someone said "Lurker Of Chalice".

Call me a fanboy or whatever... It just doesn't get better than that fantastic album.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
12.06.2011 - 02:36
The Turbanator

Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.06.2011 at 00:09

This thread died on the first page imo... Right in the minute when someone said "Lurker Of Chalice".

Call me a fanboy or whatever... It just doesn't get better than that fantastic album.

there are many many bands that are better than what Lurker of Chalice has produced. Not saying that LoC is bad, but still alot of bands out there deserves more credit than they get.

http://youtu.be/8J0-Z3vi0xg is one of them.
----
12.06.2011 - 02:41
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
The difference is that the atmosphere of LoC was truly unique. I fail to see such a calm yet eerie as hell atmosphere, it's almost elegant at times. Music for the ghosts. Also, the bass son that album is one of the best I've heard ever.
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.06.2011 - 02:44
The Turbanator

Different people with different opinion, in my opinion. LoC is brilliant though, one of the best in the genre hands down. Xasthur comes close as well.
----
12.06.2011 - 08:00
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.06.2011 at 00:09

You get a +<3 for that. coz it's true and ting. "calm yet eerie" is a perfect description of that equally perfect record. It's one of those albums I physically don't understand when someone doesn't love it and don't drop to their knees in it's awesomeness.
13.06.2011 - 18:17
(((O)))

I don't like LoC I don't know why but I just don't like it, maybe it will grow on me if I listen to it more.
14.06.2011 - 06:17
Wolfesblood218

Cryptic Throne

www.facebook.com/crypticthrone
www.myspace.com/crypticthronefl
www.reverbnation.com/crypticthrone
11.07.2011 - 00:36
(((O)))

From the land of the kangaroos comes Nekrasov, they mix black metal and ambient with noise, it's very chaotic and noisy and don't blame me if you get a headache. They released a split with Ondo a while ago, you might want to check that out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkCTMEL4oVs&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXaB_hb65LU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awKsNX6Eue8&feature=related

Three good tracks, the last one is pure sonic torture.
11.07.2011 - 04:10
rekkuza-

Ooh, I don't know if I like to intentionally cause headaches to my poor head... I was born with chronic migraines.

But Lurker of Chalice is definitely worth the patience... Listen to it some more, light some candles or drink or something. They are pure magic, I can't say much more. ^^
----
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it- Oscar Wilde
11.07.2011 - 04:22
ß
Problem?
I quite enjoy LoC but I can't stand Leviathan.. or Xasthur for that matter.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
11.07.2011 - 04:27
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by ß on 11.07.2011 at 04:22

Tis funny, I quite enjoy LoC but I can't stand Leviathan..

Heheh I understand that. I enjoy Leviathan a lot though (the latest Leviathan album is pretty much LoC tbh).
Leviathan is way more Black-driven which is the huge difference since Lurker Of Chalice has very very little Black and a huge load of ambient music.

The dude is pretty talented, that's all I can say about it.
----
Rod, let me love you.
11.07.2011 - 04:28
ß
Problem?
I personally don't see him as being all that talented but that's just me aha. I'm just picky as hell when it comes to my Black Metal
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
11.07.2011 - 08:36
Plague

Beherit is pretty ambient to me. Demon Advance is an awesome song!
----
Darkness is part of your nature...embrace it and emancipate your evil wickedness!
Infernal soldiers demonized,
Fucked up angels sodomized,
Face of the earth dechristianized
The universe...SATANIZED!
11.07.2011 - 21:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yeah the LoC self titled is basically an honourary black metal record as it really contains naff all black metal. Damn it's good.
11.07.2011 - 22:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 11.07.2011 at 21:47

it really contains naff all black metal

Naff?
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.07.2011 - 00:16
rekkuza-

Oh, it is only sad that he has only released one LoC album before descending into obscurity.
----
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it- Oscar Wilde
12.07.2011 - 02:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.07.2011 at 22:20

Naff?

Lulz, naff-all means "none" as in no black metal =P
12.07.2011 - 02:24
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 12.07.2011 at 02:18

Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.07.2011 at 22:20

Naff?

Lulz, naff-all means "none" as in no black metal =P

Well, there are some moments but they don't last long. The only moments were black metal is clearly a big influence is in "Piercing Where They Might" and some parts of "Granite". But yeah.. the rest... not black metal at all.
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.07.2011 - 14:52
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
True but by the same token this isn't an ambient album either. It makes up part of the sound but it's still very structured in a conventional sense with melody, rhythm and a general memorable construction throughout etc. I don't know what it is to be honest.