01. Into The Light
02. Delusion
03. Don't Forget
04. Echoes
05. Belief Means Nothing
06. All Is Lost
07. Waters Deep
08. Hope

There is a band of the Great Britain Doom scene which is growing and growing and growing? Maybe that you still don't know The Prophecy but if you like My Dying Bride, Mourning Beloveth or even stuff like Katatonia, I'm ready to bet some beers that you'll like their new and second album "Into The Light". In the Doom Death Metal category with clean vocals, we're just in front of a real potential new leader of the genre!

What I like the most in "Into The Light" is the really good alternation between the aggressive Doom Death passages and the really beautiful clean vocals ones. From the beginning to the end of the album, you'll listen to great Doom Death Metal, ok not the most depressive and dark one but still if you like My Dying Bride you'll like this release. The songs all follow a simple but effective structure, slow depressive Doom/Death passages separated by cool atmospheric and melodic ones (which could remind you Mourning Beloveth on some of their songs). This is maybe a bit too "cute" sometime (I'm a bit exaggerating here) but if you're not looking for extreme Doom, believe me it will be perfect (and a lot better than Swallow The Sun for example). "Into The Light" is a really good album and in the genre I truly believe that The Prophecy deserves to be known a lot more by the metalheads.

"Into The Light" is a perfectly recorded release and its cover is nice too. Of course the guys are still good musicians and I even believe that Matt Lawson voice is better this time. All in all, The Prophecy is just improving with time and that's great really. It's never easy to do a good album when your first release was already great. They did it so now let's just hope that they will follow this road and The Prophecy will score the goal!

If you're an aficionados of the British Doom Death Metal scene "Into The Light" is highly recommended to you. Have a look at this release seriously you'll have some good surprises. Be aware though that this is not extreme Doom and that if you're looking for really depressive dark music, you'll not find what you're looking for. Being accessible, "Into The Light" will probably find a lovely success but I'm quite sure too that the fans of strong Doom Metal will find good things for them too. Give a chance to The Prophecy they deserve it!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by Jeff | 14.03.2009

Comments

Comments: 15   Visited by: 114 users
15.03.2009 - 16:27
Ag Fox
Angel No More
V good review as usual. Will check them out

Offtopicness:
the cover reminds me of delain's lucidity
http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u160/blackbartolomeu/JUNHO%202007/?action=view¤t=Delain-Lucidity2006.jpg
----
loves 小巫
15.03.2009 - 19:56
MetalManic

Vocalist Matt Lawson is sending a copy of this album for me to review. I really look forward to this Jeff. You are the 'Grand Poobah' of band introductions and recommendations!
16.03.2009 - 08:45
Rating: 9
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Definitely going to be on my listening list for this week - I'll post my thoughts later once I get a good opinion of the disc!
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
16.03.2009 - 22:36
Dest

Great review! I agree their first album was a masterpiece and it's hard to top it, but they did a really good job. Matt's clean voice is amazing, but I find it less melodic compared to their last album, which had amazing solo's and riffs.

All in all it's a good album, I can't wait to hear them play it live, because I believe the songs will be even more brutal then!
18.03.2009 - 11:04
Tony Harrison
I have no arms..
Nice review Jeff! I'm really pleased with this album, I was worried for a while that they'd struggle putting out a third album which lived up to the previous two.
----
This is an outrage...
10.04.2009 - 09:17
Rating: 9
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Okay, I just received the retail copy this week - and I'll confirm too, it's a great disc.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
15.04.2009 - 22:30
Dest

The more I listen to this album, the better it's becoming. These guys have really matured and are getting better and better with each album and gig. It's a shame they can't seem to breakthrough and get the attention they deserve.
21.06.2009 - 11:53
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
This is great. I really like their CD covers too.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
13.09.2009 - 21:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I was looking for extreme doom and didn't find it, as you pointed out. I loved the music, but the clean vocals outweighed the growls and in my opinion, that doesn't fit well with the atmosphere. I would have rated this higher if the clean vocals were reserved for the "quiet parts" and the growls were the focal point, behind the instruments of course.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.09.2009 - 23:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.09.2009 at 21:22

I was looking for extreme doom and didn't find it...

Why were you looking for some extreme doom when listening to The Prophecy? They never played extreme doom. Hell, imo My Dying Bride's latest offering is more extreme doom than this. Although The Prophecy's album is vastly superior to My Dying Bride's.
Although nto extreme doom I really do enjoy this album a lot. But the clean vocals do tend to get on my nerves from time to time and making it sound a bit too gothic inspiored at times as well.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.09.2009 - 00:42
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.09.2009 at 23:08

Why were you looking for some extreme doom when listening to The Prophecy? They never played extreme doom.

I think I was focusing too heavily on the use of "death" in the death/doom tag, and thus expected more extreme elements in their music. Maybe I have the genre confused? I've never been good with genres.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.09.2009 - 01:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.09.2009 at 00:42

Why were you looking for some extreme doom when listening to The Prophecy? They never played extreme doom.

I think I was focusing too heavily on the use of "death" in the death/doom tag, and thus expected more extreme elements in their music. Maybe I have the genre confused? I've never been good with genres.

I can understand the confusion in this case.

Okay maybe I can try and explain.
Death/doom is mostly doom metal with some to very slight death metal influences.
Doom/death is death metal with some to very slight doom metal influences (ie. Apshyx, Winter, Coffins)

So the most right hand part of the word denoting the actual main genre of the music.

Hopefully this makes sense. As it does to linguists (who adher to the right-hand head rule, meaning the part most right is the header)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.09.2009 - 02:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.09.2009 at 01:41

Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.09.2009 at 00:42

I can understand the confusion in this case.

Okay maybe I can try and explain.
Death/doom is mostly doom metal with some to very slight death metal influences.
Doom/death is death metal with some to very slight doom metal influences (ie. Apshyx, Winter, Coffins)

So the most right hand part of the word denoting the actual main genre of the music.

Hopefully this makes sense. As it does to linguists (who adher to the right-hand head rule, meaning the part most right is the header)

That was a very informative explanation. Thanks for the input, I'll be sure to look for more doom/death bands as opposed to death/doom.
----
16.10.2009 - 23:44
Rating: 8
InnerSelf
proofread free
The album is very good overall
but as Marcel said the clean vocals tend to be annoying some times even though in other times it is very good
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
17.10.2009 - 00:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by InnerSelf on 16.10.2009 at 23:44

The album is very good overall
but as Marcel said the clean vocals tend to be annoying some times even though in other times it is very good

I have got used to the clean voclas by now though.
The clean parts remind me a lot of the French band The Old Dead Tree.
will be seeing them in little overa week's time. Wonder how they come across live. Thois album has grown immensely on me.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 6616 | This month: 8