Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm Awards - Staff Picks For 2008

With the Metal Storm Awards 2008, you, the metalhead, were given your say in which albums were the best of their respective genres in 2008.

We, the staff of Metal Storm, also had our own internal polling done to determine our selections for "best in show" of each genre. Just like you, we spent the month of February reviewing our final nominees for each category and voted for who we thought represented their respective genres best during the last calendar year.

As with some of the general MS awards (see Sludge, nearly a three way tie that was decided with, literally, Two Minutes to Midnight on the final day of voting), we had some close calls of our own to hash out. After much deliberation, much alcohol consumption, even more metal consumption, some heated words, a few fist fights, and one kick to the junk (sorry, Lucas, hope your "boys" are feeling better!), we've compiled our list of who we, as the staff, would hand out our awards to.

Now that you've had nearly two weeks to digest your results, and the initial furor over how "Band X should have won their genre, Band Y is complete bollocks and they should never have won, and Band Z should have been in a different genre" has died down, we figure the time is right to unveil our selections and let the bitching resume anew.

You may direct your comments, concerns, or outrage here.

Alternative Metal - Textures - Silhouettes
Atmospheric/Symphonic Metal - Haggard - Tales Of Ithiria
Avantgarde Metal - Transcending Bizarre? - The Serpent's Manifolds
Black Metal - Darkspace - III
Death Metal - Hail Of Bullets - ...Of Frost And War
Doom Metal - Mar De Grises - Draining The Waterheart
Extreme Doom Metal - Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale
Gothic Metal - The Eternal - Kartika
Grindcore - Misery Index - Traitors
Hard Rock - AC/DC - Black Ice
Heavy Metal - Enforcer - Into The Night
Melodeath/Gothenburg Metal - Hollenthon - Opus Magnum
Metalcore - Heaven Shall Burn - Iconoclast
Pagan/Viking/Folk Metal - Thyrfing - Hels Vite
Post-Metal - Cult Of Luna - Eternal Kingdom
Power Metal - Helstar - The King Of Hell
Progressive Metal - Enslaved - Vertebrae
Sludge/Stoner Metal - Ufomammut - Idolum
Thrash Metal - Hexen - State Of Insurgency

Best Cover - Heaven Shall Burn - Black Tears [Edge Of Sanity cover]
Best Debut - Hail Of Bullets - ...Of Frost And War
Best Video - Dark Suns - The Chameleon Conflict

- The Metal Storm Staff

Source: metalstorm.ee
Posted: 15.03.2009 by wrathchild

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 62   Visited by: 567 users
15.03.2009 - 17:12
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Interesting, the only band i've actually heard of in this list is AC/DC. Maybe I should check out a few of these bands.
15.03.2009 - 17:18
Elio
Red Nightmare
I want to know the details of what happened to Lucas' "boys" xD

Great writing skillz
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
15.03.2009 - 17:41
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
Written by Elio on 15.03.2009 at 17:18

I want to know the details of what happened to Lucas' "boys"

Some things are best left in the dark
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
15.03.2009 - 17:58
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Bas on 15.03.2009 at 17:41

Written by Elio on 15.03.2009 at 17:18

I want to know the details of what happened to Lucas' "boys"

Some things are best left in the dark

maybe you are right after all
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
15.03.2009 - 18:02
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
The true progressive metal album of the year...
15.03.2009 - 18:18
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
And also the true Thrash metal album of the year!!!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
15.03.2009 - 18:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Now here we have the real winners...

I agree with almost all the winners except avangarde [voted for Akphaezya]

... But Black metal, C'mon guys... Darkspace is eally good. But I've has seen more people being blowed away by A Forest Of Stars so I really thought you guys would put that album on the best Black or the best debut. But well... just two things I disagree, nothing seriours.

Really good list anyway, specially with doom, stoner and thrash, those bands trully deserved the price.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
15.03.2009 - 18:47
MetalManic
This is a great list! Not as skewed! Oh, and Textures is on it
15.03.2009 - 18:56
Karamunin
Yes! Mar De Grises as best Doom metal is definately the real winner there.
Great choices of winners. Agree with just about everyone of them.
15.03.2009 - 19:08
a MasT
Really guys, Vertebrae is better than Watershed?..........:nogood:
15.03.2009 - 19:38
VPeter
Wwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy better then "our" picks.
Only find Alternative Metal and Atmospheric/Symphonic Metal picks lame. And what's with Hail of Bullets? did Marcel bribe the rest of the staff?
15.03.2009 - 19:42
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by a MasT on 15.03.2009 at 19:08

Really guys, Vertebrae is better than Watershed?

for me Watershed was one big disappointment
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

15.03.2009 - 20:12
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Weird yet oddly predictable picks. Outside of Hollenthon I dont think I agreed with anything else (aside from the best video, which is just awesome). I probably ould have gone with Darkspace and esoteric as well but couldnt get my hands on anything by them by the end of the awards but enslaved for best progressive? I guess it would have been a descent album if the vocals just didn't conform to the entire black metal thing (really, they just dont fit). And my LAST cwalm is for the balck tears cover. It seems that every couple of years, someone covers the song, except with harsh vocals. Eternal tears of Sorrow did a cover of this awile ago and it sounded mostly the same. Dont get me wrong the original is a fucking MASTERPIECE of hooks (and this is usually a bad thing cept' for this case) but when they add harsh vocals, it just loses the haunting (if not barely audible) vocals of Dan Swano, and just doesn't do anything to the song. Now the cover of "would", THATS a good cover.
15.03.2009 - 20:22
MetalManic
Written by Ellrohir on 15.03.2009 at 19:42

I wouldn't say it is a disappointment but really not quite as 'wowing' as I would have liked. I hope they do not get 'Dream Theater Syndrome' by sticking with the formula that works for the next decade
15.03.2009 - 20:56
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Written by MetalManic on 15.03.2009 at 20:22

Written by Ellrohir on 15.03.2009 at 19:42

I wouldn't say it is a disappointment but really not quite as 'wowing' as I would have liked. I hope they do not get 'Dream Theater Syndrome' by sticking with the formula that works for the next decade

I dont know why people are saying that watershed was not creative. It continued the progression of their sound from the previously recorded album, which has beena tradition of them for awile now.
15.03.2009 - 22:33
MetalAlex
They've needed to wait until April first before posting the list Hollethon and Thyrfing are good but not best. And Power, thrash and symphonic metal winners are just bad!
15.03.2009 - 22:44
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Not a lot of artists/albums I recognised, haha... but the post metal pick was absolutely right
15.03.2009 - 23:16
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
A lot closer to my votes....still pretty off from my picks though. Interesting nonetheless.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
15.03.2009 - 23:39
mankvill
Fuck yesh, Hail of Bullets and Helstar!
15.03.2009 - 23:45
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 15.03.2009 at 18:34

... But Black metal, C'mon guys... Darkspace is eally good. But I've has seen more people being blowed away by A Forest Of Stars so I really thought you guys would put that album on the best Black or the best debut. But well... just two things I disagree, nothing seriours.

I was really close between the two of them, but Darkspace won... not two minutes to midnight, but maybe one hour to midnight
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
15.03.2009 - 23:46
HardSide
Transcending bizarre - avantgarde? i know fighting about genre is stupid and its like beating a dead horse, but its definately not avantgarde. not the last album anyway.
16.03.2009 - 00:06
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Darkside Momo on 15.03.2009 at 23:45

I was really close between the two of them, but Darkspace won... not two minutes to midnight, but maybe one hour to midnight

actually it wsa Coldworld and Darkspace that were tied and needed a run-off. the black metal category was extremely strong with no clear cut winner...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
16.03.2009 - 00:09
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 16.03.2009 at 00:06

Written by Darkside Momo on 15.03.2009 at 23:45

actually it wsa Coldworld and Darkspace that were tied and needed a run-off. the black metal category was extremely strong with no clear cut winner...

Oops, memory lapse! (hides in shame)
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
16.03.2009 - 01:58
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Totally surprised that Austrian Death Machine wasnt picked for best hardcore album.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
16.03.2009 - 02:48
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
Yes even the staff picks are a democratic voting process so not everyone voted for the same thing even amongst the staff
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
16.03.2009 - 04:11
Symmachus
Good choices for the most part. Some I didn't expect on there, although still nice choices. The metalstorm staff have my respect.
16.03.2009 - 04:36
Ahto
I'm gonna check Hexen - State Of Insurgency and if it's really better than Testament's Formation of Damnation i'll go to the USA and shake their hands personally
16.03.2009 - 04:52
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Ahto on 16.03.2009 at 04:36
I'm gonna check Hexen - State Of Insurgency and if it's really better than Testament's Formation of Damnation i'll go to the USA and shake their hands personally
I wish I had the money to pay for your fuel costs.

Hmm... I even would have taken Metallica's album over the one by Enforcer Surprised HSB won out over PTH, and Textures over Burst, but it's nice to see something that isn't totally lame claimed Best Video
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
16.03.2009 - 09:10
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Yeah, Hollenthon and Mar De Grises really deserve something like this, and also the video for "The Chameleon Conflict" (still gives me creeps). Nice picks, I have to check some of them.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
16.03.2009 - 13:48
Enissa
Is this list of Unknown nominated bandsor what???

Hits total: 7573 | This month: 17