Metal Storm logo
Obscura

16.03.2009 - 13:40
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
I guess it's time for Obscura to have their own topic! So here you can discuss everything about this new band which fame after "Cosmogenesis" looks to grow on a lot!

For those who don't know the band: Obscura, formed in 2002, is a German band. They play a mix of Technical with Progressive Death metal and have released two albums till now: Retribution (2006) was their debut album and it is a decent effort not very promissing but good for a new band. Cosmogenesis (2009) is their second album, an excelent album which took very high ratings from the reviewers. After releasing "Cosmogenesis", Obscura is mentioned as a very promising band...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
21.03.2009 - 05:26
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I ordered Cosmogenesis off amazon the other day and i'm still doubtful as to how good it is, so as insurance i also ordered Atheist's 'Unquestionable Presence' which i already know, is one hell of an album.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
21.03.2009 - 12:10
RockeRoy
I have listend to Cosmogenesis three times now, and it's like i realy want to like it, but i don't think i will dig it, it's sound pretty cool, but i don't listen to pretty cool music it has to be realy cool, but i have to give it another spinn or two before i can make up my mind:)
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
21.03.2009 - 16:45
Elio
Red Nightmare
Their debut is good indeed, maybe not the most original album ever but it is still the best death album I've lsitened from 2009.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
21.03.2009 - 19:27
frontpage
Cosmogenesis is not their debut btw

But its a great album, one of the best albums of 2009
----
http://www.last.fm/user/frontpage2
24.03.2009 - 22:25
RockeRoy
I have listen to it some more now, and i am starting to like it more and more:) they sound a little bitt like a mix between Necrophagist, Death, Cynic and Between the buried and me
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
25.03.2009 - 00:55
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
So i received my amazon package yesterday and gave Cosmogenesis a spin on my computer and i have to say (at least with the single listen last night) that i was wrong about Obscura. The album is actually really good and the songwriting is creative as well as varied.
Somehow after listening to their myspace songs a while ago i had the impression that they were the average technical death band showing up a little to late to the party.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
02.04.2009 - 19:33
frontpage
Everyone should check these guys out!
----
http://www.last.fm/user/frontpage2
04.04.2009 - 05:21
TheVonBraun
Account deleted
THEIR BASS IS ORGASMIC!!

Def check them out for some awesome tech-death.
04.04.2009 - 23:56
mankvill
I really wish I could see them live.
05.04.2009 - 10:47
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 04.04.2009 at 05:21

THEIR BASS IS ORGASMIC!!

let me second this... indeed the bass sometimes provides amazing melodies and feelings... "The Anticosmic Overload," "Incarnated..."
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
05.04.2009 - 13:37
ForeverDarkWoods
I don't see the appeal really. Cosmogenesis is an allright album I guess, but it's not that good. There's definitely better tech-death out there. Sure, it beats Necrophagist, Beneath The Massacre, Decripit Birth and the rest of the generic shitfests of the genre but it doesn't hold out for very long in a conflict against the really good tech-death albums. Some Psycroptic stuff (most of it except the most recent) molests this shit. Anata also makes short work of Obscura.

The debut was much better, but still not as good as people like to hail it as being.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
05.04.2009 - 19:29
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 05.04.2009 at 13:37

I don't see the appeal really. Cosmogenesis is an allright album I guess, but it's not that good. There's definitely better tech-death out there. Sure, it beats Necrophagist, Beneath The Massacre, Decripit Birth and the rest of the generic shitfests of the genre but it doesn't hold out for very long in a conflict against the really good tech-death albums. Some Psycroptic stuff (most of it except the most recent) molests this shit. Anata also makes short work of Obscura.

The debut was much better, but still not as good as people like to hail it as being.

I don't see how you can compare Anata to Obscura, the music is to different to do so. In any case, how can you take the time to enjoy a band's music if all you're doing is matching them up against other bands of the "same" subgenre. It's a waste of time don't you think, let the music do the talking.
it's like if i would ask you : "what do you think about Obscura's music ?" ... "shit man, Anata kicks their ass" ..lol.
----
06.04.2009 - 07:44
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by Visioneerie on 05.04.2009 at 19:29

Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 05.04.2009 at 13:37

I don't see how you can compare Anata to Obscura, the music is to different to do so. In any case, how can you take the time to enjoy a band's music if all you're doing is matching them up against other bands of the "same" subgenre. It's a waste of time don't you think, let the music do the talking.
it's like if i would ask you : "what do you think about Obscura's music ?" ... "shit man, Anata kicks their ass" ..lol.

Ok, so I think Obscuraa's music is stale, boring, not much in the vein of special and somewhat pretentious compared to a lot of other bands in the genre who are better. Psycroptic was probably a better example, but I didn't want to study Obscura's music extremely in-depth for the aforementioned reasons. I've listened to it a few times (like 5 or something). Especially the last album was boring, and even if they have some potential at times I don't think they're very good.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
23.04.2009 - 21:23
Shadowcross
The Summoner
I updated lyricwiki with all of Obscura's lyrics, if anyone else has had trouble finding them.

www.lyricwiki.org/obscura
10.06.2009 - 13:33
I think Obscura are a great "Tech Death" band, overrated maybe, I have certainly heard better in this syle of music. All in all, their latest album was great, definately a keeper.
10.06.2009 - 19:28
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Jared_Scirocco on 10.06.2009 at 13:33

I think Obscura are a great "Tech Death" band, overrated maybe, I have certainly heard better in this syle of music. All in all, their latest album was great, definately a keeper.

they are very young so that's why they may be a bit overrated cause people likes it when he sees new bands doing nice albums!!! but the future is going to prove if they deserve it or not...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
10.06.2009 - 19:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Deadmeat on 10.06.2009 at 19:28

they are very young so that's why they may be a bit overrated cause people likes it when he sees new bands doing nice albums!!! but the future is going to prove if they deserve it or not...

Well most of them are young. EXCEPT the bass player. Jeroen is a little older than me remember he also played on Spheres by Pestilence.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.06.2009 - 19:37
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.06.2009 at 19:32

Written by Deadmeat on 10.06.2009 at 19:28

Well most of them are young. EXCEPT the bass player. Jeroen is a little older than me remember he also played on Spheres by Pestilence.

wow i didn't know that! basically i never searched about their line up. to be honest, on cosmogenesis the most impressive part is the bass. his playing style reminds me a lot Individual Thought Patterns bass parts (di giorgio) from death.
----
13.06.2009 - 23:26
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Pretty cool album, not your average robotic tech DM band, i enjoyed the bass work on the album, reminded me of sickening horror actually.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
14.06.2009 - 02:13
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by Spirit Molecule on 13.06.2009 at 23:26

Pretty cool album, not your average robotic tech DM band, i enjoyed the bass work on the album, reminded me of sickening horror actually.

Yeah dude Sickening Horror ! They're better than Obscura in my opinion. Can't wait for that next album, is any record label smart enough to sign these greek monsters, for fuck sakes.
----
16.06.2009 - 22:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Elio on 21.03.2009 at 16:45

Their debut is good indeed, maybe not the most original album ever but it is still the best death album I've lsitened from 2009.

Cosmogenesis is not their debut

Btw, review is finally on-line http://www.metalstorm.ee/pub/review.php?review_id=6847&page=&message_id=
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.06.2009 - 11:23
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.06.2009 at 22:49

Written by Elio on 21.03.2009 at 16:45

Cosmogenesis is not their debut

Yeah, but I was pretty sure about that. I found out on the review that this is "their sophomore album".
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
10.08.2009 - 07:42
wormdrink414
Elite
Written by mankvill on 04.04.2009 at 23:56

Fellow American, I feel your pain.
10.08.2009 - 12:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by wormdrink414 on 10.08.2009 at 07:42

I thought they had already toured the US? Maybe I am mistaken.
But they are on an American label so who knows.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.08.2009 - 01:36
wormdrink414
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.08.2009 at 12:02

Written by wormdrink414 on 10.08.2009 at 07:42

If they did it was before I knew of them. Technical death metal is hardly a passion of mine, I tend to respond to greater simplicity and/or more melody. Bands like Decapitated and Obscura are exceptions due to the truly wonderful mix of death metal "movement" (for lack of a better term) and seemingly unmatchable levels of technicality.

I thought they had already toured the US? Maybe I am mistaken.
But they are on an American label so who knows.
11.08.2009 - 01:54
mankvill
They did a tour last year (or earlier this year, like in the winter) with Cannibal Corpse.
11.08.2009 - 07:13
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Yeah, I saw them with Cannibal Corpse and stood right up to the stage, closest to Jeroen, and it was fuckng amazing to behold him play the shit out of his bass for their short set. Awesome!
11.08.2009 - 12:28
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by spirit_inblack on 11.08.2009 at 07:13

Yeah, I saw them with Cannibal Corpse and stood right up to the stage, closest to Jeroen, and it was fuckng amazing to behold him play the shit out of his bass for their short set. Awesome!

Didn't your eyes suffer though? It's hell when you're near the stage.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
11.08.2009 - 13:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by BloodTears on 11.08.2009 at 12:28

Written by spirit_inblack on 11.08.2009 at 07:13

Didn't your eyes suffer though? It's hell when you're near the stage.

Why would one's eyes suffer when you're right up against the stage?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996