Metal Storm logo
French Black Metal

Original post

Posted by Lucas, 20.03.2009 - 22:59
Ok, we have topics on UK Black metal, US Black metal, Canadian Black metal and Swedish Black metal, and most of these scenes are pretty interesting, but in my opinion they are all beaten by the French Black metal scene. (Some Swedish bands can give the Frenchies a good run for their money, though.)

So, French Black metal. A very diverse scene, containing both old, 'true' bands and new, innovative ones. I personally think that if you like Black metal, there is no way there is no single French Black metal band that doesn't appeal to you. Whether you love Deathspell Omega's powerhouse, testosterone-fuelled philosophical (awesome) ramblings, Neige's melancholic work with Mortifera (highly underrated) or you're a Les Légions Noires guy, the Frenchies seem to have something for everyone.

In this topic you can discuss the known, big bands or bring new, interesting acts to light. I'd like to start off by saying that Mortifera's "Vastiia Tenebrd Mortifera" (the album that inspired this thread), is highly recommended to anyone that likes his/her Black metal melancholic and sensitive, yet incredibly raw and distorted. A pearl, in my humble opinion.
10.06.2012 - 11:54
The Turbanator

Just found out about this band Drastus. S.V.E.S.T ex drummer Sad is in it. Check this EP out.

----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
23.06.2012 - 17:34
deathexhortation

One band I think was unmentioned here is the very obscure Diamatregon. Or at least 2009's Crossroad was wicked, I have yet to hear their other stuff.
This song is instrumental, but I think it's great, they have an interesting and variable style, so you should listen to their other songs too.
13.09.2012 - 20:43
Vombatus
Potorro
TRUE FRENCH FASHION BLACK METAL hahahahaha

I am speechless.
13.09.2012 - 22:50
Dinruth

Written by Vombatus on 13.09.2012 at 20:43

I am speechless.

o_O wtf is that???
13.09.2012 - 22:56
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
^ Music is beyond awful, but the video has some perks, douchebags aside.
13.09.2012 - 23:11
Vombatus
Potorro
I was a bit surprised to know that the guy behind it was the dude of Mütiilation (yep, that grim kvlt LLN band...).

The original version of the song, and the whole album itself, is average modern BM but he seems to want create some sort of controversy by replacing all the "running in the forest with corpse paint" with chicks taking drugs/alcohol/partying (like on the "Aut Caesar Aut Nihil" video) while destroying copies of DMDS and similar stuff... looked pretty absurd to me.
20.10.2012 - 03:03
Savopipo

Think it qualifies here .. the new album by Peste Noir! In my opinion a masterpiece .. opinions?
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
20.10.2012 - 03:08
Savopipo

I am speechless.

Not for me .. sorry .. to much trance and to little black.
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
24.10.2012 - 07:04
Persona

Written by Savopipo on 20.10.2012 at 03:03

Think it qualifies here .. the new album by Peste Noir! In my opinion a masterpiece .. opinions?
One of my favorites from last year. It's quirky, but it works. The sillier parts seem to me satirical, still grounded in something serious. They give of a vibe of cynical irony rather than anything-goes experimentation like Sigh. It all seems calculated, like each genre has been carefully chosen to support the songs theme. Of course I may be way off base, I don't speak a word of french so I don't really know what the album is about. But yeah, it's good. I really love the riffs aswell. Peste's got a pretty unique style of riffing, these distorted, folky melodies, very catchy and beautiful.
30.11.2012 - 03:29
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Have been revisiting Kristallnacht a lot recently (actually I've been listening to a fair amount of this kind of black metal for the first time in many years). They, he, is really a very good band. On the surface it may sound quite generic but the songwriting and kind of warm-feel of many of the records keeps it a step above virtually everything else in the field. Use to listen to 'Of Elitism and War' the most but this time round I feel 'Warspirit' may be my favourite of his. Thankfully the 'Blooddrenched Memorial 1994-2002' compilation, which has his whole discog, is on Spotify.

13.10.2014 - 19:29
nikja

Et si on mettait à jour ce sujet ?

Sale Freux

Caverne (nothing too fancy but i like the vibe)

Baise ma hache

Autarcie

Sühnopfer

Feigur

Mourning Forest

Sa Meute

Elhaz

Epheles

Quintessence

I focus more on french lyrics and no NS associations for the bm bands i listen to, so there must be plenty others of french black metal band out there ! It's not about being vltra trve, i just enjoy my French BM in French.
13.10.2014 - 19:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by nikja on 13.10.2014 at 19:29

Et si on mettait à jour ce sujet ?

English only here or whit English translation
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.10.2014 - 18:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----

apos;'
[image]
16.10.2014 - 04:16
FOOCK Nam

I remember there is a French band that play suicidal depressive bm. The band's one man who play all instrument and vocal, especially his music have piano composition which make the first album very beautiful. All that first album is in French, releasing around 2009.
16.10.2014 - 04:26
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos

This is actually good.

And yeah, I'm quoting a 2 yo post. Because I'm that behind when it comes to music
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
16.10.2014 - 06:34
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by FOOCK Nam on 16.10.2014 at 04:16

I remember there is a French band that play suicidal depressive bm. The band's one man who play all instrument and vocal, especially his music have piano composition which make the first album very beautiful. All that first album is in French, releasing around 2009.

Sui Caedere? Its actually Québécois but somehow I feel that is what you're thinking about.

EDIT: Actually, its probably not it. But ehh.
16.10.2014 - 06:35
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 13.10.2014 at 19:39

Then how are YOU not banned? Cause half the time that ain't English
16.10.2014 - 12:48
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by Karlabos on 16.10.2014 at 04:26

This is actually good.

And yeah, I'm quoting a 2 yo post. Because I'm that behind when it comes to music

Wait... whaaaat ?

Guess you just have odd tastes

Even if that song is fucking awful, the actual album it is taken from (Sektemtum debut) is quite competent orthodox bm with an interesting concept behind it.
16.10.2014 - 14:20
FOOCK Nam

Written by Guest on 16.10.2014 at 06:34

Written by FOOCK Nam on 16.10.2014 at 04:16

Sui Caedere? Its actually Québécois but somehow I feel that is what you're thinking about.

EDIT: Actually, its probably not it. But ehh.

Not that band but very good music, I feel somehow Sui Caedere is style like as Deinonychous, the Dutch band.. Anyway, very good music indeed, my ears get orgasm. I'll find out the band in 2009, as far as I listened, one man band that have classical element musical piano..
16.10.2014 - 15:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 16.10.2014 at 06:35

difference between me and that post is, I misspell and make grammar errors in English , but guy post 100% French

but if it happens I and Troy make a deal, staff will delete all 20 000 edits what I made and ordinary users will need to re add those in 3 day time (and wait 4 years before be accepted)
----

apos;'
[image]
02.01.2015 - 14:26
Infernal Eternal

A N T A E U S . Now we're talking, people!
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
11.03.2016 - 00:42
Vombatus
Potorro
Gonna necro this, diggin some more underground french BM atm. French definitely sounds great for ugly BM.

Short-lived user nikja has a nice selection up there.
13.03.2016 - 01:01
vinnie vincent

Entorned and dark thorne
are pretty dark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
13.03.2016 - 01:24
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by vinnie vincent on 13.03.2016 at 01:01

Entorned and dark thorne

This thread is about French black metal. Learn how to read and stay on point, instead of just spamming band names that aren't even in the same region...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

13.03.2016 - 01:47
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos

Entorned and dark thorne

Someone seems stoned today
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
15.03.2016 - 23:05
Auba

16.03.2016 - 03:08
Lord_Regnier

Written by psykometal on 13.03.2016 at 01:24

Entorned and dark thorne

This thread is about French black metal. Learn how to read and stay on point, instead of just spamming band names that aren't even in the same region...

I guess he meant Enthroned (Belgium) and Darkthrone (Norway), though it is horribly misspelled. Nothing to do with French BM anyway.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
16.03.2016 - 03:09
Lord_Regnier

Written by Guest on 16.10.2014 at 06:35

Ah, ah! Good one.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
16.03.2016 - 05:12
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Lord_Regnier on 16.03.2016 at 03:08

I guess he meant Enthroned (Belgium) and Darkthrone (Norway), though it is horribly misspelled. Nothing to do with French BM anyway.

Honestly, I thought he meant Entombed at first, but then it occurred to me that he might have meant Enthroned. But yea, either way, neither Sweden nor Belgium are France. (we need a smiley for :moron:, lol)
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~