Metal Storm logo
French Black Metal

Original post

Posted by Lucas, 20.03.2009 - 22:59
Ok, we have topics on UK Black metal, US Black metal, Canadian Black metal and Swedish Black metal, and most of these scenes are pretty interesting, but in my opinion they are all beaten by the French Black metal scene. (Some Swedish bands can give the Frenchies a good run for their money, though.)

So, French Black metal. A very diverse scene, containing both old, 'true' bands and new, innovative ones. I personally think that if you like Black metal, there is no way there is no single French Black metal band that doesn't appeal to you. Whether you love Deathspell Omega's powerhouse, testosterone-fuelled philosophical (awesome) ramblings, Neige's melancholic work with Mortifera (highly underrated) or you're a Les Légions Noires guy, the Frenchies seem to have something for everyone.

In this topic you can discuss the known, big bands or bring new, interesting acts to light. I'd like to start off by saying that Mortifera's "Vastiia Tenebrd Mortifera" (the album that inspired this thread), is highly recommended to anyone that likes his/her Black metal melancholic and sensitive, yet incredibly raw and distorted. A pearl, in my humble opinion.
30.08.2010 - 21:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 30.08.2010 at 20:54

Never could get into MoRT. Pretty atmospheric though, as is pretty much all of their work, but I never found it particularly enjoyable.

There's no getting round the fact that the MoRT has extremely limited appeal; it's pretty much made for people who like experimentation and stuff that's generally different. It definitely helps if you're into noise and ambient.
Quote:
What Once Was... Liber I also left me with a rather standard impression, but I've only heard lo-fi vinyl rips of certain parts.

While I suppose it's fairly "normal" its continual bombardment and aggressive nature appealed to me quite a bit.
Quote:
Early work also left me... feeling like something's lacking (Ultima Thelee and MVI, although the latter was alright to an extent).

I can take or leave their early stuff. I never listen to it.
Quote:
Odinist was decent.

Yeah, it's decent, not groundbreaking but often ignored by many fans. I think it's a little underrated to be honest, it has some great tunes.
Quote:
As for The Work, I found it had some truly great parts, but dragged on, felt bland at others and the vocals never struck me as particularly great. I really like "Procession of the Dead Clowns" though, very chilling.

It's kinda funny that The Work is typified as a black metal record. I vaguely added up all the black metal sections and it only came to something like 18 minutes worth. It's more industrial metal/dark ambient really. Equally strange how virtually everyone mentions Procession of the Dead Clowns as their fave song considering how unblack it is. Along with the latter half of Our Blessed Frozen Cells it's the highlight of the album.
Quote:
Maybe it is simply me, but the bleak, desolate feeling is the highlight of BaN. Rest doesn't pack much of a punch for me.

Pretty much the same with me. It helps to be invested in what the band tries to go for; a kind of philosophical anti-human post-apocalyptic vibe. As I've always said they're at their best when they experiment. It's a waste of time for them to mess about with ordinary dross like MVII.
30.08.2010 - 21:58
vezzy
Stallmanite
That probably explains it, seeing as I have generally limited myself to certain genres and have little interest in finding others, for the moment, at least.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
26.11.2011 - 22:24
JD
Account deleted
26.11.2011 - 22:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Just about any Otargos song is a great suggestion.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.01.2012 - 09:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.01.2012 at 02:08
Written by Guest on 13.01.2012 at 00:40

You guys will never guess what I just listened to...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.01.2012 - 11:58
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.01.2012 at 09:16

Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.01.2012 at 02:08
Written by Guest on 13.01.2012 at 00:40

You guys will never guess what I just listened to...

Lucky I saw this as I didn't get a notification...

Um, I give up. It's gonna be good though, rite?
13.01.2012 - 12:02
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 13.01.2012 at 11:58
Um, I give up. It's gonna be good though, rite?

HINT: It's been a while...
----
13.01.2012 - 12:16
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.01.2012 at 12:02

Ah, I always forget he's a Frenchy. So what did you reckon?
13.01.2012 - 12:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 13.01.2012 at 12:16
So what did you reckon?

Fantastic album. Probably a high 8 after 2 listens tonight. It was a bit to take in with the electronic-ish elements or whatever but on the whole it's a sweet piece of music. It's got the whole eerie space vibe like the first Alien movie... which is a complete win in my books.
----
13.01.2012 - 12:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.01.2012 at 12:18

Fantastic album. Probably a high 8 after 2 listens tonight. It was a bit to take in with the electronic-ish elements or whatever but on the whole it's a sweet piece of music. It's got the whole eerie space vibe like the first Alien movie... which is a complete win in my books.

Yep sounds like a description that I would concur with! My only real critique is that it's too short and that there probably won't be any more albums from the band.
13.01.2012 - 12:26
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 13.01.2012 at 12:23
...there probably won't be any more albums from the band.

Trve fvcking kvlt blk methul.
----
13.01.2012 - 12:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.01.2012 at 12:26

Trve fvcking kvlt blk methul.

It is. Even though it isn't particularly black metal. My kind of paradox.
13.01.2012 - 12:30
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 13.01.2012 at 12:27
Even though it isn't particularly black metal.

Kind of like how I explain Darkthrone = more black metal nowadays than before by not playing black metal.
----
13.01.2012 - 15:47
pisymbol

So what did you reckon?

Troy, I can't WAIT for you to review this record. This is one of those secret little gems no one will notice (maybe now?).

EDIT: When is this due out and on what label? I still can't find a CD for his first.
13.01.2012 - 18:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by pisymbol on 13.01.2012 at 15:47

Troy, I can't WAIT for you to review this record. This is one of those secret little gems no one will notice (maybe now?).

EDIT: When is this due out and on what label? I still can't find a CD for his first.

I was already reviewed by Lucas quite some time ago, so why another review by a staff member who will also praise it/
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.01.2012 - 18:49
X-Ray Rod
Skandino

His debut and as far as I know only album was released in march 2010 in 100 casette copies, then in the same year Paradigms recordings re-released it in cd format with 500 copies... They are sold out.

I own one, weeee!

So what did you reckon?

I'm so glad you liked it, It's a piece of art imo... and best of all: Unique art.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
13.01.2012 - 19:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.01.2012 at 18:49

His debut and as far as I know only album was released in march 2010 in 100 casette copies, then in the same year Paradigms recordings re-released it in cd format with 500 copies... They are sold out.

I own one, weeee!

And also been released on vinyl in 500 copies half way through 2011. I own both the cd and vinyl version
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.01.2012 - 20:01
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.01.2012 at 19:40
I own both the cd and vinyl version

Cool cool, apart from the fact that you get a bigger artwork, is there any differences between the cd and vinyl version of that album? I don't meant about the sound or anything like that... But stuff like bonus tracks, extra artwork or something.
Also, what color? Black? Do you know if it's sold out?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
13.01.2012 - 20:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.01.2012 at 20:01

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.01.2012 at 19:40
I own both the cd and vinyl version

Cool cool, apart from the fact that you get a bigger artwork, is there any differences between the cd and vinyl version of that album? I don't meant about the sound or anything like that... But stuff like bonus tracks, extra artwork or something.
Also, what color? Black? Do you know if it's sold out?

there is some extra artwork. Black vinyl indeed. I am not sure if it's sold out or not. The distro where I ordered it doesn't have any more copies though.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.01.2012 - 20:46
pisymbol

Where can I get the CD of his debut and when is the new one due? Anyone want to sell me their copy? :-)
13.01.2012 - 21:26
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by pisymbol on 13.01.2012 at 20:46
Where can I get the CD of his debut and when is the new one due?

Probably all sold out, and probably won't ever be a follow-up.

And I won't be reviewing it since there's no need. It's not like Wintersun's debut.
----
13.01.2012 - 23:03
pisymbol

Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.01.2012 at 21:26

Written by pisymbol on 13.01.2012 at 20:46
Where can I get the CD of his debut and when is the new one due?

Probably all sold out, and probably won't ever be a follow-up.

And I won't be reviewing it since there's no need. It's not like Wintersun's debut.

For some odd reason I thought you were listening to new Murmuure? My mistake. Murmuure in my opinion is a 9ish album.

This album is truly a work of art.

In most black circles, an aggregation of dissonance, distortion, and riff help produce an "atmosphere" in which the listener is sonically immersed in. For many, the immersion can backfire and what is supposed to serve as an atmospheric revelation is nothing more than white noise.

Murmuure's release not only delivers an atmospheric "black nirvana" in spades but combines other sonic flavors to produce something that is both eclectic and just downright eery. If black metal is a form of musical language to express one's inner vision, I really don't want to know the artist behind this album known as "One."

If anyone is interested in this journey, checked out the album Murmuure on Bandcamp.

EDIT: I can't read.
13.01.2012 - 23:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by pisymbol on 13.01.2012 at 23:03
Can I pay (gift?) someone for a FLAC copy? Its really one of my all-time favorites and I am at a loss on what to do.

Why not just pay to download from the Bandcamp page...?
----
13.01.2012 - 23:10
pisymbol

Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.01.2012 at 23:05

Written by pisymbol on 13.01.2012 at 23:03
Can I pay (gift?) someone for a FLAC copy? Its really one of my all-time favorites and I am at a loss on what to do.

Why not just pay to download from the Bandcamp page...?

Because clearly I can't read.
13.01.2012 - 23:57
pisymbol

Also (sorry for a bit of thread jack), in the track "Torch Bearer" in the middle....does not sound a bit like the original TRON movie of the 80s? Or is that just me?
14.01.2012 - 00:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by pisymbol on 13.01.2012 at 23:57

Also (sorry for a bit of thread jack), in the track "Torch Bearer" in the middle....does not sound a bit like the original TRON movie of the 80s? Or is that just me?

Mmmm, will check it out when I get home. I saw the orignal Tron movie in the cinema when it was released in the 80s hahaha
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.01.2012 - 02:33
Savopipo

No offense but isn't that a very geeky comment? I will listen to it and get back with you .. what is "in the middle" some timing would be nice?
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
14.01.2012 - 02:35
Savopipo

Mort is simply genius!!
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
14.01.2012 - 06:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Tron was awesome. The sequel was pretty but poor story and character-wise. End transmission.
14.01.2012 - 14:32
pisymbol

Written by Savopipo on 14.01.2012 at 02:33

No offense but isn't that a very geeky comment? I will listen to it and get back with you .. what is "in the middle" some timing would be nice?

Offense not taken. I am geek by day.

2:05 in...then for about a minute or two....total 80s sci-fi...

Since Troy has given me the gift of literacy, I just bought the album on FLAC (gave "One" extra too and picked up a few other Bandcamp releases while I was at it, i.e. "I curse you cassette tape, I curse you!").