02. Ascension
03. Primal Eleven
04. Wings Of Insanity
05. Frozen By Fire
06. The Lone Spaniard
07. Molecular Intro
08. Molecular Heinosity
09. So Far Gone

Talking about Derek Sherinian is not so easy? I mean that I could one more time tell you that Derek has been the fantastic keyboardist of a famous Progressive band but I won't do it again. On the other hand, his work is so big that's it would be really long to talk about his whole discography and history. If there is one thing to know today, this is maybe that Derek uses to release solo albums and his new one "Molecular Heinosity" is out now! Progheads, this is for you as you can guess, but the other metalheads should maybe have a look at it because again, the lead guitarist is just? well you'll see

Have you ever dreamed to listen to Zakk Wylde playing in a Progressive Metal band? If you ever dreamed about it, Derek Sherinian did it for you! This is not the first time that Derek and Zakk have this collaboration between them but every time this is just cool and original on a side. Of course we don't have to talk about his guitar musical skill but this is great to listen to Zakk playing true Progressive Metal. "Molecular Heinosity" is classic on a side because this is pure technical instrumental Prog, with demonic soli (keyboards like guitars) and a ton of breaks and crazy melodies but this is also a bit surprising (if you don't know Derek's other CD) in reason of the guitarist. If you're looking for extremely technical Prog with heavy riffs, you're just knocking at the good door. And note by the way that Zakk Wylde sings on the last song "So Far Gone", a really good dark and melancholic long song. On the other hand, despite all those good points, there is nothing really new here and I even think that "Blood On The Snake" was probably better. This new release is solid but without taking any real risks, Derek Sherinian just produced to me a strange sensation of déjà vu?

I talked a lot about the guitarist but of course all the other members are impressive, including of course Derek Sherinian who still has this fantastic groove in his way to play with keyboards. Complex as hell, each musical lines of the different instruments are perfectly interpreted by the musicians.. With a great recording and production (made by Derek himself), "Molecular Heinosity" is a nice album which suffers by the way of its really average cover (but after all we're here to listen to music right?).

At first I found that "Molecular Heinosity" was maybe a bit too pretentious and elitist. This album is definitely not an easy of access one but the more you'll listen to it, the more you'll like it and of course this is just great to hear such a fantastic line-up. On the other hand keep in mind that Derek Sherinian just followed his road here and if you're expecting to discover something new, you just won't have any real surprises. Well at least the ravaging riffs and soli of Zakk Wylde will kick your ass and still this is good Prog so?

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 9

Written by Jeff | 22.03.2009

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 80 users
22.03.2009 - 22:05
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
"I mean that I could one more time tell you that Derek has been the fantastic keyboardist of a famous Progressive band but I won't do it again."

Planet X? Platypus? Oh... you meant Dream Theater lol

I feel that Black Utopia has a much better lineup of guitarists: Al di Meola, Yngwie, Zakk

Nice review, I feel that his solo albums are always consistent, but lack something to put them further. I am still waiting for this to arrive, thanks for giving me something to ease the anticipation.
23.03.2009 - 03:29
JohnDoe
Account deleted
I haven't heard this album yet, but I'll look for it.
BTW, my favourite guitarist Derek collaborated with is Steve Lukather (from Toto; his solo stuff is great as well) - on Inertia and Black Utopia.
24.03.2009 - 23:18
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by Guest on 23.03.2009 at 03:29

I haven't heard this album yet, but I'll look for it.
BTW, my favourite guitarist Derek collaborated with is Steve Lukather (from Toto; his solo stuff is great as well) - on Inertia and Black Utopia.

Oh crap I forgot about Lukather... Stony Days is one of my favorites too
26.03.2009 - 18:06
Richard Numbah

You forgot to mention the other guitarist to this album, Rusty Cooley. Since listening to the album it is clear that Wylde is not the only guitarist, I figured it would be worth mentioning.

The track Frozen by Fire is a Cooley/Sherinian battle-fest. Amazing.

Great album.
09.04.2009 - 02:38
RockeRoy

Wow, great hearing zack playing like this, i thought he only played bluesy
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell

Hits total: 7115 | This month: 9