05. I Am Abomination
06. Altered Boy
07. Going Going Gone
08. Now Thy Death Day Come
09. 44 Magnum Opus
10. Shovel Headed Kill Machine
11. Problems [Sex Pistols cover] [Japanese / 2-LP bonus]
12. Purge The World [limited digipack / 2-LP bonus]

Let me just start off by saying that I'm reviewing the U.S. version of this album, the one that DOES NOT have the added hidden bonus track. Now, having said that, Exodus welcomes some new members into the band on this effort. Paul Bostaph on drums formerly of Slayer, Testament, and Forbidden is replacing long time drummer Tom Hunting. Lee Atlus is now the other guitar player (formerly of Heathen and Angel Witch) replacing Gary Holt's longtime axe partner Rick Hunolt. And Rob Dukes is now the new permanent vocalist taking over for the departed Steve "Zetro" Souza. This is a very solid album, and one that will hopefully go a long way towards putting thrash metal back on top of the mountain. The sound was really clear and clean, especially the backline bass that shone through.

The first couple of songs do a pretty good job of introducing the listener to the new members of the band. Rob Dukes is a very competent vocalist with small echoes of the styling of Steve Souza.

The third song, Karma's Messenger, is a straight ahead thrash attack. It has a very old school 80's feel to it. I really liked the vibe that this song gave me. It took me back to a time where the thrash bands were the kings of the land.

The three songs in the middle lag a little bit compared to the rest of the album. They aren't bad songs at all, but I just don't think that they are as good as the rest of the album is.

Now we move on to the best part of the album. These last 4 songs provide that unrelenting neckbreaking thrash til death attack. Going Going Gone, Now Thy Death Day Come, 44 Magnum Opus, and the title track, Shovel Headed Kill Machine provide an incredibly potent assault. Listening to this string of songs, one can't but help be reminded of the 80's glory days of thrash. It's songs like these that really make a person be proud of being a thrash metal fan.

Overall, the album made a really good impression on me. Exodus has really proven to be comitted to making quality albums after their lengthy absence, and I for one am very excited about the future of this band.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by EvilOstrich | 12.07.2006

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 17   Visited by: 127 users
12.07.2006 - 12:17
Baz Anderson

yes. i LOVE this album!!
very good review - you are exactly right with the last four tracks. they are so good all together.
this album is a must for all thrash metal fans, it really is! its been a while since i heard an album as good as this
15.07.2006 - 19:43
Rating: 9
Ahto

great review but i am not agree with the quality of the sound because opening the volumes of the guitars isnt the quality... i cant hear the bostaph's drum tackles well and so the bass! but i agree that after the great "tempo of the damned" album, exodus proved their quality again. Deathamphetamine and Kharma's Messenger are my favorites.
03.08.2006 - 06:35
Thrash666

ALL HAIL EXODUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
this album kicks fucking ass. i am a huge Exodus fan and love the old stuff and i was pumped when this cd came out. i listen to it almost every single day. "Going Going Gone" or "I Am Abomination" is my favorite song from the album and Rob is an awesome vocalist and i love having Paul Botasph playing drums for Exodus now. I hope they come back to the Bay Area soon so i can see them again.
LONG LIVE THRASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Paul Baloff
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
15.08.2006 - 09:06
tattootildeath
Account deleted
i love exodus, and always have! i really like this offering, but i like tempo a bit more. anyway, i couldn't be more stoked with having exodus back!!!!!!!!!
06.04.2007 - 00:34
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Great album, they've had some better ones though.
26.04.2007 - 22:53
Rating: 8
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
man, you guys weren't joking...this album rules
26.04.2007 - 22:55
Nixx
Account deleted
Great album, still, "Tempo of the Damned" is considered my favourite.
27.04.2007 - 00:54
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I think the originality rating should be lower, but it doesn't take away anything from the music. I've been listening to this album nonstop.
24.11.2008 - 14:24
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Almost a golden album. almost.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
10.05.2009 - 00:49
Rating: 7
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
This album is really mediocre. it's been a while since i listened to it and i don't even remember the songtitles...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
10.05.2009 - 00:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Deadmeat on 10.05.2009 at 00:49

This album is really mediocre. it's been a while since i listened to it and i don't even remember the songtitles...

I totally agree with you here. Mediocre boring album with songs that lack variation and are way too long.
I will put on Tempo Of The Damned or Bonded By Blood, PLeasures Of The Flesh or Fabuklous Disaster if I want to hear some GOOD Exodus
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.05.2009 - 00:54
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.05.2009 at 00:52

Written by Deadmeat on 10.05.2009 at 00:49

I totally agree with you here. Mediocre boring album with songs that lack variation and are way too long.
I will put on Tempo Of The Damned or Bonded By Blood, PLeasures Of The Flesh or Fabuklous Disaster if I want to hear some GOOD Exodus

that's right man.. although i am a fan of "clear" productions, this one is so clear that makes the listening of this album even worse...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
10.05.2009 - 00:59
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Pleasures of the Flesh is the most overrated Exodus album by far. I'd take Shovel Headed Kill Machine over it any day. Plus, this album is still better than Exhibit A, which isn't saying much lol.

It sounds good on a sound system in a car, but becomes tedious when you really focus on it, like when wearing headphones.
10.05.2009 - 01:18
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Dangerboner on 10.05.2009 at 00:59

Pleasures of the Flesh is the most overrated Exodus album by far. I'd take Shovel Headed Kill Machine over it any day. Plus, this album is still better than Exhibit A, which isn't saying much lol.

It sounds good on a sound system in a car, but becomes tedious when you really focus on it, like when wearing headphones.

there is none memorable moment on this album. also the music is annoyingly repeating...
----
26.10.2009 - 05:19
Rating: 9
sbgmetal

This cd is so freaken heavy and fast... thrash done the right way.
26.02.2010 - 20:52
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I love this album, it's absolutely CRUSHING. i shudder to think how Darkness Descends would sound if Exodus re-recorded it with the same production(and a better vocalist lol).
28.02.2010 - 17:20
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I am the biggest fan of Zetro's vocals in Exodus. For me, he is definitely the best vocalist Exodus ever had. I also love all of Exodus's albums. But as much of a fangirl as I am over the classic Exodus, I totally wanted to give Rob Dukes a proper chance. And to be fair, he does a great job. I find that he tries to mimic Zetro's style quite a bit, which is a good thing as far as I am concerned! SHKM is a great album. Not quite the modern thrash classic that "Tempo Of The Damned" was, but for the most part, it is a sonically devastating album and definitely worthy of the Exodus name. I miss Rick Hunolt too, but Lee Altus does a great job on the second guitar spot.

For me, the main reason where this album just fails to match it's predecessor, is in its consistency. The first 5 songs are just awesome, and for a moment, I almost forgot about the loss of Zetro! Especially "Deathamphetamine", which is such an epically brutal song, and definitely one of the best songs Exodus have ever done. Most of the 2nd half of the album is either average, or just good. "44 Magnum Opus", is just too long for it's own good, and drags. It just fails to hold my attention in the way the other long song on the album ("Deathamphetamine") does. And is the weakest song on the album for me. But the album ends on a very strong note with the pulverising title track, and finishes off the album in great style!

I agree with most of the review, and the score for the album. I definitely found ''Atrocity Exhibition: Exhibit A" to be a disappointment after this album. SHKM though, is a worthy addition to Exodus' catalogue really, and is for the most part, a great album.

Hits total: 7432 | This month: 11