Metal Storm logo
Greek Black Metal

Original post

Posted by , 26.03.2009 - 01:49
I have seen topics about Norwegian Black Metal, Canadian Black Metal, American Black Metal, British Black Metal, Swedish Black Metal, German Black Metal, and French Black Metal, but no topic about Greek Black Metal. To me, that is an outrage, because Greece has one of the most unique Black Metal scenes in the world.

Rotting Christ needs no introduction. Formed around the same time as Rotting Christ is Varathron, which displays black metal in its primitive stages, with mid-paced rhythms and low, death metal-type vocals. Then there's Necromantia, who have an 8-string bass in place of the guitar, which they effectively use to create an original sound. There's Agatus, who blends black metal with the NWOBHM sound, and Nocternity, a one-man band akin to Burzum and Graveland, who sings high praises of ancient Greece. There is also Astarte, the all-woman black metal band that is not afraid to experiment with the other extreme metal genres. Most notable of all is Naer Mataron, the Gorgoroth of the Hellenes (musically, that is).

Care to share your thoughts?
26.02.2014 - 01:37
Dungeon Shaker

I'm completely ignorant to the Greek black metal scene unfortunately, though I recently picked up the most recent Rotting Christ record, and really enjoyed it. Definitely open for recommendations.
----
www.thunderousvoices.com
19.09.2014 - 14:53
mz

I stumbled upon Morpheus Tales-Secular Noir which has a nice take on progressive black metal with few psychedelic moments thrown into the mix. Definitely one of the best 2014 records I've heard.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
19.09.2014 - 15:46
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^ Didn't like it very much soundwise, but... That cover *.*
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
19.09.2014 - 16:03
mz

Written by Karlabos on 19.09.2014 at 15:46

^ Didn't like it very much soundwise, but... That cover *.*

I don't know how it's possible to not like their sound =p
Cool cover, very eye catching.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
31.12.2014 - 22:02
Infernal Eternal

If you're into kvlt stuff, you should definetely check Sadistic Noise. R.I.P. Flesh
also check out: Zemial, Black Winter, Thou Art Lord, Kawir, Nergal, Fiendish Nymph, Acherontas, Acrimonious and Aherusia.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
01.01.2015 - 08:45
Vasil de Shumen

Scarlet Evil Witching Black ( Necromantia ) is my favorite Greek black metal album. This darkly jewel is better than every Rotting Christ album ...
19.12.2016 - 01:38
nikarg

Aenaon and Hail Spirit Noir have released two of the best black metal albums of this year. If someone prefers a little less experimental sound I quite like Human Serpent, they have already released a couple of very brutal albums and they did a split this year with Black Winter. Also last year Awe released their debut, which I found really great. Many will say they're a DSO ripoff because they use dissonance, but I think even if you don't really dig DSO (like myself) you should check them out because their music makes a lot more sense. If you're more into atmospheric, check out Spectral Lore and A Diadem Of Dead Stars. Finally, if you like Bathory, try Macabre Omen. They kick some serious ass.
18.03.2017 - 02:23
Cavernous

His Majesty At The Fucking Swamp. Besides that i find most greek black metal unworthy of anyone's time
18.05.2017 - 15:20
Totenlieder

Der Stürmer, excellent Greek black metal.
https://youtu.be/8w-6L-AgRXo
----
Blut & Krieg
02.08.2017 - 02:35
Undoctrinate

Horrified and Cult of Eibon
----
undoctrinate.bandcamp.com
facebook.com/undoctrinate
04.08.2017 - 17:25
Julius666

Hail Spirit Noir is a progressive rock band with very strong blackened elements. Really like the stuff, they've put out so far.
----
hipster kid
06.08.2017 - 00:24
Vampyrique

I own about 40 Greek black metal CDs, mostly 90s releases. My favourites are:

Kawir - To Cavirs
Agatus - Dawn of Martyrdom
Deviser - Transmission to Chaos
Rotting Christ - Thy Mighty Contract & Non Serviam
Varathron - His Majesty at the Swamp & Walpurgisnacht
Order of the Ebon Hand - The Mystic Path to the Netherworld
Legion of Doom - For Those of the Blood
Necromantia - Crossing the Fiery Path & Scarlet Evil Witching Black
Nergal - The Wizard of Nerath
05.01.2022 - 11:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Kawir founder and mastermind Παναγιώτης Ματεμτζής (Panagiotis Matemtzis) runs under name Therthonax will go under surgery

He wrote on bands Facebook
I was diagnosed with heart aneurism so 2 months now I am doing tests and soon I will do the surgery. So on behalf of kawir wishing you happy new year to all, health and stay strong I will do the same, ΧΑΙΡΕ

----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.02.2022 - 08:34
SXS

+1 from me for Rotting Christ
12.04.2022 - 19:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Drama Noir is working on new album, according to their Facebook
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.04.2023 - 03:54
Netzach
Planewalker
I recommend Lucifer's Child, the former Rotting Christ guitarist's new band.
07.08.2023 - 12:35
TheCrazyGoat

I recommend Tatir great band but forgotten even in Greece (I'm greek).
20.10.2023 - 07:30
mde017

I am big fan of Necromantia and Rotting Christ. From the newer bands I recommend Thy Darkened Shade. Funny enough I have never heard Spectral Lore and Varathron - will need to fix that.
----
Okręt mój płynie dalej gdzieś tam
Serce choć popękane chce bić
Nie ma Cię i nie było jest noc
Nie ma mnie i nie było jest dzień
03.01.2024 - 17:26
Vorg

I love Sarvari