Metal Storm logo
Nevermore

Original post

Posted by , 17.05.2006 - 10:54
"Seattle's NEVERMORE welcome you to "This Godless Endeavor", a grand overture where musical tapestries are fascinatingly complex while entirely accessible. The band's sixth full-length marks another peak in NEVERMORE's rapid ascend in the Metal scene and falls into line with its highly acclaimed predecessors. The first of which being the self-titled debut album released in 1995, one year after the official foundation of the band by former SANCTUARY members Warrel Dane (vocals), Jeff Loomis (guitar) and Jim Sheppard (bass). By adding drummer Van Williams the nucleus of NEVERMORE was born. Though at that time the world all-to-willingly embraced the Grunge-movement, the band dared to continue their vision for a creative and multi-faceted Metal sound. The internationally reputed producer Neil Kernon (Queensryche, Judas Priest, Flotsam & Jetsam, Yes, Rolling Stones, Journey) believed in the potential of NEVERMORE and recorded their impressive debut at his own risk. It did not take too long until the quartet was signed to Century Media Records and due to the fans' pleasant memories of SANCTUARY, and NEVERMORE's touring activities (Europe with Blind Guardian, US with Death) they could raise a good amount of interest throughout the Metal scene and found a lot of thankful purchasers.

The follow-up "In Memory" EP (1996) and the second album "The Politics Of Ecstasy" (1996) displayed NEVERMORE on their quest for their very own, unmistakable sound. The band experimented with a whole lot of influences from various styles and impressed with a great degree of highly-technical finesse that never endangered the catchiness of the songs. Still, NEVERMORE never wrote songs that easily stuck in your head, even though they're nowhere near as complicated as an Ikea construction manual, resulting in listeners giving their albums four or five runs before the variety of each song becomes obvious.

After "The Politics Of Ecstasy" the band parted ways with their second guitarist Pat O'Brien (now in Cannibal Corpse) and it took them almost a year until they found former Forbidden-member Tim Calvert to fill the vacant spot. With this line-up they recorded the masterly "Dreaming Neon Black" (1999) which showed the perfect balance between all the different components of the NEVERMORE sound. There were small, complex mini-dramas as well as super-tight thrashers and quiet, emotional tunes opposed to angry noise eruptions. NEVERMORE managed to create an album equipped with numerous non-metal trademarks which sound appealing to the usually very sensitively reacting true metal community. Or maybe it was still metal enough that it could not even upset the die-hard purists? Anyway, it is a matter of fact that the career of our five heroes just went straight up. Seemingly endless, but still extremely successful tours followed the release, the US was toured not less than four times, Europe was frequently visited (with LeFay - now Morgana Lefay again -, Sacred Steel, Nocturnal Rites) and they even stopped in Australia for a number of shows. After all, guitarist Tim Calvert decided to leave the band in early 2000 to focus on non-musical activities. The remaining band members decided to carry on as a four-piece and did not hesitate to start recording their fourth album "Dead Heart In A Dead World (2000)". For the first time not Neil Kernon but Andy Sneap (Machine Head, Testament, Skinlab, Napalm Death, Stuck Mojo) worked the knobs and moved especially Loomis "skin-flaying" guitar play to the production's forefront. Again tireless world touring followed and turned songs like "Narcosynthesis" and "Inside Four Walls" into anthemic fan favorites. German Rock Hard magazine stated fittingly: "This is the masterpiece of one of the most talented bands in present time".

2003's Enemies Of Reality received similar praise: "must have album of the year" said Outburn Magazine, Guitar One called NEVERMORE's newest songs "opuses that often reach dark symphonic peaks". With performing at Europe's largest rock festivals including the infamous Dynamo, the prestigious Wacken Open Air and sharing stage with metal's elite including Arch Enemy, Children Of Bodom, Dimmu Borgir, Iced Earth, King Diamond and Opeth throughout their recording career NEVERMORE could manifest the high position they deservedly occupy within the metal scene.

Now, in 2005, "This Godless Endeavor" is the title of the band's latest work to date and was recorded at England's Backstage Studios, once again with Andy Sneap (who not only produced "Dead Heart In A Dead World" but also just recently re-worked "Enemies Of Reality"). "This Godless Endeavor" captures "the most ripping guitar work we've recorded", says vocalist Warrel Dane. Marking his NEVERMORE recording debut, guitarist Steve Smyth (ex-Testament/Dragonlord) joins core members Dane, Jeff Loomis, Jim Sheppard and Van Williams. Hugh Syme (Rush, Megadeth) provided stark album artwork, which according to Dane, "incorporates our ongoing theme of everyone wearing a mask." Appearing on the mainstage of Megadeth's Gigantour throughout the summer as well as moving over to Europe for a string of summer festivals and a full club-tour by September, NEVERMORE ask you to venture out, to experience the unfathomable, to join them on This Godless Endeavor. An album determined to become a future classic of the metal movement? "

Nevermore is:
Warrel Dane - vocals
Jeff Loomis - lead, rhythmn and acoustic guitars
Steve Smyth - lead, rhythmn and acoustic guitars
Jim Sheppard - bass
Van Williams - drums

03.03.2011 - 08:13
VloRD

Yeah, contrary to popular MS SB belief, I think Nevermore deserved the MS award.
----
06.03.2011 - 22:16
godisdead

Nevermore is such a great band hopefully will see them live soon and what albums should I get The Obsidan Conspiracy or Dreaming Neon Black?
14.04.2011 - 08:21
JCJen7

Is it possibly my sound system, or the quality of the songs (though they're on CD so that's not really possible), or maybe just my ears, or are Nevermore's songs just really really heavy sounding. I don't mean anything in their riffs (not saying otherwise either) but just the overrall mixing of their albums. When I listen to them, the bass seems very loud, and the bottom range of the guitars stand out as well. I quite like it, it's refreshing, just not sure if everyone sees it the same way.
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
14.04.2011 - 12:22
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by JCJen7 on 14.04.2011 at 08:21

Is it possibly my sound system, or the quality of the songs (though they're on CD so that's not really possible), or maybe just my ears, or are Nevermore's songs just really really heavy sounding. I don't mean anything in their riffs (not saying otherwise either) but just the overrall mixing of their albums. When I listen to them, the bass seems very loud, and the bottom range of the guitars stand out as well. I quite like it, it's refreshing, just not sure if everyone sees it the same way.

Don't forget that Jeff Loomis uses 8-string guitars and a lot of the riffs are played on the two lower strings.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
14.04.2011 - 12:58
wrathchild

Written by K✞ulu on 14.04.2011 at 12:22

Don't forget that Jeff Loomis uses 8-string guitars and a lot of the riffs are played on the two lower strings.

Eight? I've never seen him with more than 7 strings but why not... Is it used on any particular song?
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
14.04.2011 - 13:31
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by wrathchild on 14.04.2011 at 12:58

Written by K✞ulu on 14.04.2011 at 12:22

Eight? I've never seen him with more than 7 strings but why not... Is it used on any particular song?

Oops, you are right... For some reason I thought he used 8 strings. But still, the heaviness definitely comes from guitars in particular. The riffs are basically played three tones lower than could ever be played on a six-string guitar (it seems that Jeff uses a half-step tune down making the lowest string A#, which is three tones lower than E).

P.S. By the way, it is time to go back and listen to Zero Order Phase and Dead Heart in a Dead World.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
14.04.2011 - 16:17
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Meshuggah use 8 strings.

It might be the layers on the guitars as well.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
14.04.2011 - 18:18
Yasmine

Written by BloodTears on 14.04.2011 at 16:17

Meshuggah use 8 strings.

True, not that they need 8s or anything. lol

I like the new album musically, but the vocals are very subpar.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
14.04.2011 - 18:39
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Yasmine on 14.04.2011 at 18:18

Meshuggah use 8 strings.

The new album was disappointing to me even though it was good. I just come to expect a lot more quality from a band like Nevermore. Well, we all have crappy days. I guess that was it for them.
----

My Instagram
14.04.2011 - 18:50
Angelic Storm
Melodious
The new album was disappointing for me too. It's far from being a bad album, but from Nevermore who usually release very high quality albums, I found it to be a bit patchy and weak in some places. The high points on the album do deserve to be mentioned alongside Nevermore's best stuff, but overall it's just a bit lacking. *shrugs*
14.04.2011 - 18:50
Yasmine

Written by BloodTears on 14.04.2011 at 18:39

Written by Yasmine on 14.04.2011 at 18:18

Meshuggah use 8 strings.

The new album was disappointing to me even though it was good. I just come to expect a lot more quality from a band like Nevermore. Well, we all have crappy days. I guess that was it for them.

Only the vocals killed it for me, if it was instrumental I'd have loved it to death for the most part.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
14.04.2011 - 18:57
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Angelic Storm on 14.04.2011 at 18:50

The new album was disappointing for me too. It's far from being a bad album, but from Nevermore who usually release very high quality albums, I found it to be a bit patchy and weak in some places. The high points on the album do deserve to be mentioned alongside Nevermore's best stuff, but overall it's just a bit lacking. *shrugs*

Couldn't agree more.
----

My Instagram
14.04.2011 - 18:58
BloodTears
ANA-thema
@Yasmine: What other Nevermore albums have you listened to?
----

My Instagram
14.04.2011 - 19:02
Yasmine

I have them all, I love em to death. Right up my alley.
----
14.04.2011 - 19:12
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by BloodTears on 14.04.2011 at 18:57
Couldn't agree more.

I definitely think it could have been better... Then again, I am a massive fan of the "Enemies Of Reality" album, even though many seem to class that as one of their weaker albums. lol

I was disappointed with Steve Smyth leaving, and then Chris Broderick. (who I think suits Nevermore far more than Megadeth) The twin guitar dynamic seems to work great in Nevermore, as much as Jeff Loomis is an icon of the band, and has always been there. And Steve contributed some great things to the last album, especially "A Future Uncertain" which is one of my fave Nevermore songs. I think maybe with Steve leaving, and Jeff and Warrel committing time to solo projects took some of the edge from the band...
14.04.2011 - 19:21
MetalSpider

Im just pissed that they pulled out of the North American tour...I've been wanting to see them for a long time!

Steve Smyth was awesome! This Godless Endeavour is still my favourite album by them.

And if Chris Broderick had stuck with Nevermore, it would have been bad ass!
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
14.04.2011 - 19:28
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Angelic Storm on 14.04.2011 at 19:12

Written by BloodTears on 14.04.2011 at 18:57
Couldn't agree more.

I definitely think it could have been better... Then again, I am a massive fan of the "Enemies Of Reality" album, even though many seem to class that as one of their weaker albums. lol

I was disappointed with Steve Smyth leaving, and then Chris Broderick. (who I think suits Nevermore far more than Megadeth) The twin guitar dynamic seems to work great in Nevermore, as much as Jeff Loomis is an icon of the band, and has always been there. And Steve contributed some great things to the last album, especially "A Future Uncertain" which is one of my fave Nevermore songs. I think maybe with Steve leaving, and Jeff and Warrel committing time to solo projects took some of the edge from the band...

Some people think Enemies of Reality is one of their weaker albums? I have to laugh to that, well, not for me at all. One of my favorites, without a doubt.

As for the band changes, I think that has contributed a lot to the state of things in the sense that both Steve Smyth and Chris contributed a lot to the band and pushed Jeff to do a lot more things. If it wasn't for them, I don't think he would have been so strong as he is. I loved Chris. I saw him twice live with Megadeth and not one with Nevermore. That is kinda sad really. I just watch their live shows and interviews and everything seems to be too relaxed, like there's nothing to "conquer", you know. As in, we're releasing this album because we can. I really have that impression. I'm hoping I'm wrong on this one and they start picking up the speed once again.

Having said that, a lot of people liked TOC.
----

My Instagram
14.04.2011 - 20:06
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by MetalSpider on 14.04.2011 at 19:21

Im just pissed that they pulled out of the North American tour...I've been wanting to see them for a long time!

Steve Smyth was awesome! This Godless Endeavour is still my favourite album by them.

Yep, that would suck a lot. I have seen Nevermore live once on the TGE tour, and they were awesome! But at least Symphony X are still on the tour, and they are a band I've waited so long to see live, but I still never have... *cries*

TGE is an amazing album, it's so consistent, every song on it is great. And Steve Smyth... his contributions on that album really can't be understated. "Sell My Heart For Stones" is a magical song, just a classic Nevermore ballad. And "A Future Uncertain" is just a monster! Steve definitely added to the band, and even though he was only on that album, I was very disappointed when he left. I also think Chris had the potential to contribute much to the band, and I wish he had stayed in Nevermore. His style and talents seem to be tailored much more to that band than Megadeth.

@Bloodtears: I couldn't agree more. Having Steve in the band, and then Chris definitely gave Jeff an added spark. I do believe he is at his best when he has another great guitarist to feed off. It pushes him to do even better. Despite Steve only performing on one album, and Chris on none, I do think losing them, especially Steve, was a big blow to the band. I do think they need a talented (and permanent!) 2nd guitarist in the band, as I think Jeff needs that extra push to make him excel himself.

As for EOR, yep it amazes me too, but I regularly see that album being classed as one of their weakest. It baffles me, because Ive always loved it, and think it's one of their best. lol A lot of people do love TOC, and I myself think it has some great moments. But... after such an amazing previous album, it does feel like a bit of a step down for me, at least consistency wise. Maybe if Steve had still been there, it'd have been another classic? I kinda think it would have been.
14.04.2011 - 20:30
MetalSpider

Written by Angelic Storm on 14.04.2011 at 20:06

Written by MetalSpider on 14.04.2011 at 19:21

Yep, that would suck a lot. I have seen Nevermore live once on the TGE tour, and they were awesome! But at least Symphony X are still on the tour, and they are a band I've waited so long to see live, but I still never have... *cries*

TGE is an amazing album, it's so consistent, every song on it is great. And Steve Smyth... his contributions on that album really can't be understated. "Sell My Heart For Stones" is a magical song, just a classic Nevermore ballad. And "A Future Uncertain" is just a monster! Steve definitely added to the band, and even though he was only on that album, I was very disappointed when he left. I also think Chris had the potential to contribute much to the band, and I wish he had stayed in Nevermore. His style and talents seem to be tailored much more to that band than Megadeth.

@Bloodtears: I couldn't agree more. Having Steve in the band, and then Chris definitely gave Jeff an added spark. I do believe he is at his best when he has another great guitarist to feed off. It pushes him to do even better. Despite Steve only performing on one album, and Chris on none, I do think losing them, especially Steve, was a big blow to the band. I do think they need a talented (and permanent!) 2nd guitarist in the band, as I think Jeff needs that extra push to make him excel himself.

As for EOR, yep it amazes me too, but I regularly see that album being classed as one of their weakest. It baffles me, because Ive always loved it, and think it's one of their best. lol A lot of people do love TOC, and I myself think it has some great moments. But... after such an amazing previous album, it does feel like a bit of a step down for me, at least consistency wise. Maybe if Steve had still been there, it'd have been another classic? I kinda think it would have been.

I'm the other way around. I've seen Symphony X live once, and they put on one hell of a show!! But I've wanted to see Nevermore for so long! I don't know when the last time they came to Toronto was.

Yeah Steve Smyth was a great fit for Nevermore. When he left, it sucked. But I had noticed that he was offering online guitar lessons some time ago, and I wanted to join but I never did lol.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
14.04.2011 - 22:07
thehondo

Uh..Broderick is a great fit with Megadeth! And Loomis is so wicked he doesnt need anybody else! Obsidian is great but doesnt touch Godless, Dead Heart or even Politics! 2005 Gigantour: Megadeth, Dream Theater, Nevermore and Symphony X. Theres what ya want!
----
No time like the present
15.04.2011 - 03:56
Yasmine

Broderick isn't a great fit for Megadeth, really really really below his talent level. I've seen Symphony X a number of times, good shows. Also Enemies is probably my favorite album, I think it's the one that best capture's the melancholy, etc. lol
----
17.04.2011 - 02:14
JCJen7

Anyone know why Nevermore pulled out of the tour yet?
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
17.04.2011 - 02:36
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by JCJen7 on 17.04.2011 at 02:14

Warrel said that Van and Jeff had family/personal issues that had to be dealt with, which is the reason for Nevermore pulling out of the tour.
17.04.2011 - 10:50
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.04.2011 at 02:36

Written by JCJen7 on 17.04.2011 at 02:14

Warrel said that Van and Jeff had family/personal issues that had to be dealt with, which is the reason for Nevermore pulling out of the tour.

I just hope they don't pull out of Vagos in the summer too.
----

My Instagram
22.04.2011 - 04:29
thehondo

This is a terrible day. I hope Loomis has his own band. You already know Warrel will do his solo thing and Sanctuary. Hopefully Jim will get healthy and join up. Wiiliams is way to good to not end up somewhere. Good luck guys!
----
No time like the present
01.05.2011 - 22:14
Wait, they aren't playing anymore?
05.05.2011 - 17:08
thehondo

Whats in the future? Has anybody heard yet?
----
No time like the present
05.05.2011 - 17:46
BloodTears
ANA-thema
All pretty silent in the Nevermore realm. I hope it's the end, it'll be for me anyway.
----

My Instagram
05.05.2011 - 22:04
Yasmine

There are actually some pretty good replacements floating around out there, but.......I'd rather see them call it a day on this project.
----
06.05.2011 - 00:32
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Yasmine on 05.05.2011 at 22:04

There are actually some pretty good replacements floating around out there, but.......I'd rather see them call it a day on this project.

What replacements?
----

My Instagram