I love polls

Liked band before this thread
Neutral stance
Dislike band
Hadn't heard before, now like

Total votes: 8
28.03.2009 - 23:16
Vunts
Finally the time is here. I was further bothered by the fact that I haven't made a thread for one of my favourite bands, so I decided to suck it up and get my ass down to writing something.

To try and say how Stormlord sounds is not as simple as explaining bands like, f.e. Cannibal Corpse. The way they are categorizing themselves is "epic extreme metal" or "epic black metal", which makes sense even. All of Stormlord's albums vary quite greatly and about the only thing in common with them is the vocals by Cristiano Borchi, to whom I like to refer as the 'Hansi on screaming'. Borchi is also the only person in the band who has been around since the band formed in 1991 in Italy. Being from the southern sunny regions of the Mediterranean might mean that they are a happy bunch of hippies, but thankfully that doesn't apply as far as the music goes. The band does their work seriously, as seriously as the sub-genre (which by now can also be called black/power I suppose) lets them. That definition works 100% on their latest album, but there have been hints in this direction from the start.

Supreme Art of War - released as their debut in 1999, two years after their first proper EP saw the light of day, the album sound well produced, but the instruments are still quite identifiable. The vocals are still developing on this album, so this is not a good way to start, especially since the album is quite far off from the band's future style. The music generally has an epic feel with majestic passages in songs, whether by operatic vocals (both male or female) or the occasionally medieval sounding keyboard work and also a few instances of violin. The drumming is fast and nothing extraordinary, nor do the musicians create something unique individually. But as a whole, the album works. The songs are somewhat long as well, with the shortest at 5.25 and longest clocking in at 9.32 (not counting the two instrumentals).I don't particularly listen to the release often because it feels outdated as far as the band is concerned, but I do see it as a good enough LP that I wouldn't shun it.
Highlights: Where My Spirit Forever Shall Be, Age of the Dragon, Of Steel and Ancient Might.
6/10

At the Gates of Utopia - is the 2nd album which was let out at 2001. I can say that my life would be emptier if I hadn't heard this release, because without the song Xanadu, I most likely wouldn't have found out about this band. So yes, this release is the first one that I heard and it still kicks ass, majorly. While the previous album was a bit more on the black/folk type of music, then this takes things into a more aggressive direction. 'Secrets of the Earth' has a quite cold starting riff for example. The songs do have their medium parts and there is a 2 minute instrumental which I always remove from the playlist, but generally the songs are all high tempo and melodic at the same time. The keyboards are used more here and the medieval tone is lost in the songs other than the instrumental, but they don't feel overpowering. Now, the vocals are starting the evolve nicely and already have the great feel that I love about this band. To step on the lyrical side, they are about Greek mythology. I can sometimes make out the words as I go along, but due to the accent, it is quite difficult most of the times.
As a special note here, the band covered Creeping Death by Metallica on the EP related to this album. The song was performed live and is also included as a bonus track on some versions of this release.
Highlights: Under the Samnites' Spears, Xanadu, Curse of Medusa, Secrets of the Earth
9/10

The Gorgon Cult - the year is 2004 and we come to the 3rd album. While 'Supreme Art' was old-sounding and 'At the Gates' was rougher, then this doesn't take "rough" further, but instead mellows up. They still play music fast, but the production is soft, almost cuddly. They do try to create atmosphere with songs like 'Under the Boards' and it does succeed, but the feeling lies too heavily on the keys. Even when the guitars do come in, then they don't try to expand by being unique, but instead try to improve the keys. I will keep my opinions on this album short, but do not be discouraged to try it out. It is in my opinion their softest release, but there are still good points to make up for the flaws.
The cover on this album is 'Moonchild' by Iron Maiden, being performed as a studio release.
Highlights: Dance of Hecate, Wurdulak
7/10

Mare Nostrum - yesteryear, 2008 was the end of a 4 year silence from the band. Was the wait worth it? HELL YES. When I first really listened to the songs, then I was astounded by the quality. The level of epic on this album goes way higher than power metal bands usually try to accomplish. And this is achieved without fully denouncing their blackish roots. The release is melodic, there is no denying that. There are folk instruments, keys, operatic vocals, clean vocals, female vocals...about everything has been tried to fit in. I honestly cannot find a flaw with this album. The keys are actually more toned down here, with guitars taking on a bigger role (though not as prominent as 'At the Gates'). The drums are on a consistent beat, sometimes slowing down only to pick up where they left off. There is also a ballad on this album, 'Castaway', but it is not a power ballad. It just means that it has more calm drumming and dominant clean vocals, but not completely forgetting the screams. All in all, this was and still is my favourite album in 2008.
Highlights: even though it's difficult to pick something from a perfect album, then: Mare Nostrum, And the Wind Shall Scream My Name, Scorn
10/10

Now that that's over with, I will provide a few links, so that unaware people could get a glimpse of the band.

Their myspace of course, mostly with songs from their latest album.

Homepage with not a great number of songs, but they do have either a full song or a sample from my 'highlights' from every album except Mare Nostrum (which is on myspace)
28.03.2009 - 23:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
How I love your polls man, real;y all shood learn how open treads/polls
Aboit me, I like this band but its like but not like I listen it offen, I heard many from band, but when I lsitening I like it but I wont listen it each du how I do listen other bands, so I vote Neutral stance but whit like touch
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.04.2009 - 00:42
Vunts
Hahaha, damn this april fools day got a giggle out of me 41 minutes after being over: "The way they are categorizing themselves is "epic extreme flower" or "epic pink flower", which makes sense even"
Sure does make sense if the sentence is kept the same after the general style is rolled back.
02.04.2009 - 08:46
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by Vunts on 28.03.2009 at 23:16

Supreme Art of War - released as their debut in 1999, two years after their first proper EP saw the light of day, the album sound well produced, but the instruments are still quite identifiable. The vocals are still developing on this album, so this is not a good way to start, especially since the album is quite far off from the band's future style. The music generally has an epic feel with majestic passages in songs, whether by operatic vocals (both male or female) or the occasionally medieval sounding keyboard work and also a few instances of violin. The drumming is fast and nothing extraordinary, nor do the musicians create something unique individually. But as a whole, the album works. The songs are somewhat long as well, with the shortest at 5.25 and longest clocking in at 9.32 (not counting the two instrumentals).I don't particularly listen to the release often because it feels outdated as far as the band is concerned, but I do see it as a good enough LP that I wouldn't shun it.
Highlights: Where My Spirit Forever Shall Be, Age of the Dragon, Of Steel and Ancient Might.
6/10

I love this release and think it's their best. To hear the genres of power and black brought together like this is so damn cool. This album is epic, flowery and cheesy as hell while still retaining some of the bm spirit. It's one of the funniest albums in history.

The rest of the stuff is also good but not like this one. The comedy value of this album is just priceless...
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
02.04.2009 - 17:06
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
I was disappointed by both Mare Nostrum and At the Gates of Utopia. All the songs sound the same, the vocalist's voice is annoying and he even has a lisp, and THAT is unbearable.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
02.04.2009 - 18:21
Vunts
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 02.04.2009 at 08:46

Written by Vunts on 28.03.2009 at 23:16

Supreme Art of War

I love this release and think it's their best. To hear the genres of power and black brought together like this is so damn cool. This album is epic, flowery and cheesy as hell while still retaining some of the bm spirit. It's one of the funniest albums in history.

The rest of the stuff is also good but not like this one. The comedy value of this album is just priceless...

Never did see them as a comedy band myself though
02.04.2009 - 18:27
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
I only know "At The Gates Of Utopia", "The Gorgon Cult" and an EP of Stormlord, but they are not bad at all (but also nothing special imo ). Because of that I voted for "neutral stance"