Metal Storm logo
Gjallarhorn

03.04.2009 - 07:42
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
I have discovered this band for accident. By searching informations about Gjallarhorn (the italian band who plays Viking metal, and released an album in tribute to Quorthon) I found another band called Gjallarhorn, but they are not metal in any kind.

According to the wikipedia, this ''is a band that performs world music with roots in the folk music of Finland. The quartet was born in 1994. The band's music echoes the ancient folk music tradition of Scandinavia with medieval ballads, minuets, prayers in runo-metric chanting and ancient Icelandic rímur epics in a modern way.'' Not much to say after that.

I have downloaded three of their albums: ''Sjofn'', that is the best one by far, the female vocals and variety of instruments are exellent, the atmosphere moves from dark/melancholic to an lively ''happy'' climate. Songs like ''The Water-Sprite And The Maide'', ''Su Ru Ruskadirej'', ''Hjaoningarima'' and ''Dance a Little'' represents the different aspects of this work.
As for the other two albuns (''Grimborg'' and ''Rimfaxe''), they are also very good, but didn't share the spirit of the ''Sjofn''... looks like nothing changes between the albuns, but is notable that the contrast of emotions of ''Sjofn'' makes it superior to the other works.

Anyway, whoever likes folkloric music, with an exellent atmosphere and beautiful female vocals should check this out. Although its not metal, it approaches and calls the attention of folk metal for its theme.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/