Metal Storm logo
Is Death Magnetic a Thrash Album or its not?

Poll

Is Death Magnetic A Thrash Album or Its not?

No
Yes

Total votes: 167
04.04.2009 - 16:26
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Please listen to the album nicely and vote at this poll. The main goal of this poll is to enlighten that what fans think about this album and why?
For me its like a thrash metal album, specially when it goes to Kirk Hammet's solo's. Its not like 80's Thrash albums and all of us know it for sure, But I cant say it is a Death Metal or Glam! nor Doom or Heavy and doesnt need to think about Black Metal too! For me, this album "Based On Thrash Metal", then its enough for me to call it a Thrash Metal album.
04.04.2009 - 16:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I lietened it and well I say yes but this is not thrash what we use to hear from Met, but its thrash but belive me there many better thrash bands nowdays
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.04.2009 - 16:46
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 04.04.2009 at 16:32

I lietened it and well I say yes but this is not thrash what we use to hear from Met, but its thrash but belive me there many better thrash bands nowdays

I didnt say that there arent better albums or bands.
04.04.2009 - 17:54
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Anyone who thinks it's a thrash album has sadly been deceived and needs to listen to some REAL thrash metal.

There are ten songs on the album - all about the same length. Even with loose definitions, no more than four of the songs are thrash metal. The rest are heavy metal. Thus, it is a heavy metal album (with some thrash pieces, if you want to be that pedantic).

Honestly... if any threads on MS deserve a face-palm picture, this is one of them.
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
04.04.2009 - 18:29
Endoftherainbow
It's not even a metal album let alone a thrash album, hard rock at best. These guys should have thrown in the towel long ago this cd was like complete shit the extended addition.
04.04.2009 - 19:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Endoftherainbow on 04.04.2009 at 18:29

It's not even a metal album let alone a thrash album, hard rock at best. ...

This is the single most ridiculous statement I have read on the MS forums in a very very very very long time.

Okay, you don't like the album, neither do I, but to say it isn't metal is just ridiculous. Denying the metalness of this album would mean that 85% of metal isn't metal.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.04.2009 - 19:20
Elio
Red Nightmare
I think that a poll won't solve the doubt.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
04.04.2009 - 19:47
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Elio on 04.04.2009 at 19:20

I think that a poll won't solve the doubt.

I didnt open this poll to solve a problem, I want to hear ppl's opinion about genre of this album.
04.04.2009 - 19:49
thesabbathfan
Heavy metal. not thrash metal.
----
04.04.2009 - 19:52
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by thesabbathfan on 04.04.2009 at 19:49

Heavy metal. not thrash metal.

it would be nice if you explain why you think its Heavy Metal. 5 ppl voted for no, but just one of them explaind why.
04.04.2009 - 19:55
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin

It's not even a metal album let alone a thrash album, hard rock at best. These guys should have thrown in the towel long ago this cd was like complete shit the extended addition.

weren't you the clown bitching about the MS awards and what should be classified as what?

this recent post clearly indicates you don't have a clue. you are clueless. you don't have clue one.

but please keep up the comedy.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
04.04.2009 - 20:24
Endoftherainbow
Written by BitterCOld on 04.04.2009 at 19:55

weren't you the clown bitching about the MS awards and what should be classified as what?

this recent post clearly indicates you don't have a clue. you are clueless. you don't have clue one.

What's metal about it? The metal elements it does have i could find in a Nickelback song, so if I'm so clueless you'll be able to enlighten me on how this cd is metal. But hey if you want to fool yourself into thinking it's metal go for it but if this is metal then so is Nirvana. However, please continue to think you know something about metal. All you seem to like to do is make statements that have nothing to do with the actual thread so please I'd really like to know what makes this a metal cd.
04.04.2009 - 20:31
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Endoftherainbow on 04.04.2009 at 20:24

Written by BitterCOld on 04.04.2009 at 19:55

What's metal about it? The metal elements it does have i could find in a Nickelback song, so if I'm so clueless you'll be able to enlighten me on how this cd is metal. But hey if you want to fool yourself into thinking it's metal go for it but if this is metal then so is Nirvana. However, please continue to think you know something about metal. All you seem to like to do is make statements that have nothing to do with the actual thread so please I'd really like to know what makes this a metal cd.

i completely fail to see in exactly what universe this wouldn't qualify as a metal album. it's got the usual elements - heavy riffing, fast paced, barked vocals...

seeing as you are the one whose opinion seems to differ from the norm who think it's either "heavy" or "thrash", please give me an in depth break down of the apsects of what you consider metal to be and how this album fails to qualify.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
04.04.2009 - 20:42
Valentin B
Iconoclast
No, it's not. it does flirt with thrash metal at some points(mostly the fast bits in some songs) but as for the main sound of the album it's definitely not thrash.
04.04.2009 - 21:46
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
Well, it's the more thrashy album since the 80's, I have to say yes but just by a bit...
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
04.04.2009 - 22:17
Slayer666
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.04.2009 at 19:11

This is the single most ridiculous statement I have read on the MS forums in a very very very very long time.

Okay, you don't like the album, neither do I, but to say it isn't metal is just ridiculous. Denying the metalness of this album would mean that 85% of metal isn't metal.

Than listen only to that 15%!!!! TR00 METAL FOREVER!!!!! KVLT RULES!!!! This was a joke, in case someone didn't quite get that.
About the matter, I think your precentage is waaaaay too high. What you're saying is that this album is actually harder than 85% of metal! Totaly absurd. About the album, well compared to some mainstream "metal", this is certanly Tharsh. Compared to, say, Slayer..... nah, not so much. Not at all, in fact.
05.04.2009 - 00:38
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
It's hard to say because thrash has changed. Old thrash was influenced by NWOBHM and punk, for the most part, and thrash these days seems to be only influenced by old thrash, which basically results in just fast heavy metal, right? If I can't clearly hear a band's influences, sometimes it's hard for me to judge their exact genre, in some cases. It's been too long since I've listened to Death Magnetic, and honestly I'd be happy if I never heard it again, but I really don't care whether or not someone calls it thrash or heavy metal.
05.04.2009 - 02:58
ToMegaTherion
I quite enjoy the album i think its probably as good an album as anyone could have hoped for given their recent history in producing albums. Death magnetic I think is kind of Thrash but with elements of the Load and Reload days. Some songs are certainly thrash, while others seem to be a kind of heavy metal blend with a bit more speed.
05.04.2009 - 10:22
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 05.04.2009 at 00:38

It's hard to say because thrash has changed. Old thrash was influenced by NWOBHM and punk, for the most part, and thrash these days seems to be only influenced by old thrash, which basically results in just fast heavy metal, right? If I can't clearly hear a band's influences, sometimes it's hard for me to judge their exact genre, in some cases. It's been too long since I've listened to Death Magnetic, and honestly I'd be happy if I never heard it again, but I really don't care whether or not someone calls it thrash or heavy metal.

Im totally agree with you, for example when I look at "Lamb of God" I cant say that they are a thrash band if I want to compare them with G4!
05.04.2009 - 10:24
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 04.04.2009 at 22:17

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.04.2009 at 19:11

Than listen only to that 15%!!!! TR00 METAL FOREVER!!!!! KVLT RULES!!!! This was a joke, in case someone didn't quite get that.
About the matter, I think your precentage is waaaaay too high. What you're saying is that this album is actually harder than 85% of metal! Totaly absurd. About the album, well compared to some mainstream "metal", this is certanly Tharsh. Compared to, say, Slayer..... nah, not so much. Not at all, in fact.

Im agree about 85% ! cause when I dook at this album I see 2 songs which arent so metal!! "Unforgiven III" and "the Day that Never Comes", but take a look at the other songs, they are metal and to be honest they are more like thrash than heavy and its so clear.
05.04.2009 - 10:26
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by SlaytallicA on 04.04.2009 at 21:46

Well, it's the more thrashy album since the 80's, I have to say yes but just by a bit...

can you explain it plz, cause I didnt know why you think its more thrashy?
05.04.2009 - 12:37
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Guest on 05.04.2009 at 10:26

Written by SlaytallicA on 04.04.2009 at 21:46

can you explain it plz, cause I didnt know why you think its more thrashy?

I think he meant that Death Magnetic, compared to Metallica's album from Black Album to St.Anger, is the one which has more thrash elements.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
05.04.2009 - 13:07
ForeverDarkWoods
Doesn't sound like the stuff that I think of when I think about thrash metal. I don't think it's thrash personally, but my definition of thrash tends to be quite conservative, so I might not judge it fairly. It's possibly that it can be classified as thrash in the modern sense of the word, but I don't think a lot of the modern sounding thrash is thrash at all.

Basically, compared to Lamb Of God and Machine Head, then it's thrash, but compared to the old stuff like Deathrow, Destruction or Overkill, it's not even close IMO.

I don't really give much of a damn though, since the album isn't something I like to listen to when there's old Metallica to be had, but I have to vote that it isn't thrash because according to my experience Death Magnetic is not the way thrash sounds like.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
05.04.2009 - 13:52
DayFly
Written by Endoftherainbow on 04.04.2009 at 20:24

Oh now you've conviced me. I always thought Death Magnetic was metal, but that Nickelback comparison really brought me back to my senses. When in doubt, toss the name of a rock band held in very little regard, two if you want to play safe. Others will surely realise the soudness of your argument. Also, do not forget to question people's knowledge on metal; people who have been listening to the stuff longer than you have been alive.
05.04.2009 - 16:06
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 05.04.2009 at 13:07

Doesn't sound like the stuff that I think of when I think about thrash metal. I don't think it's thrash personally, but my definition of thrash tends to be quite conservative, so I might not judge it fairly. It's possibly that it can be classified as thrash in the modern sense of the word, but I don't think a lot of the modern sounding thrash is thrash at all.

Basically, compared to Lamb Of God and Machine Head, then it's thrash, but compared to the old stuff like Deathrow, Destruction or Overkill, it's not even close IMO.

I don't really give much of a damn though, since the album isn't something I like to listen to when there's old Metallica to be had, but I have to vote that it isn't thrash because according to my experience Death Magnetic is not the way thrash sounds like.

So you think that "Lamb of God" is not thrashy, now you convinced me why someone think Death Magnetic is not thrash! we have to judge equal. if Metal Storm thinks that "Lamb of God" is thrashy why they think "Death Magnetic" isnt?
05.04.2009 - 16:45
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
It amazes me that one has made the obvious joke yet, so I'll have to do it. (Syk you disappoint me).

It's TRASH for sure!

Ok, now that that's out of the way, no, I don't think it's thrash either. It has mroe in common with (average) Heavy metal, so that's where my vote goes. Hurray.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
05.04.2009 - 16:50
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 05.04.2009 at 16:45

It amazes me that one has made the obvious joke yet, so I'll have to do it. (Syk you disappoint me).

It's TRASH for sure!

Ok, now that that's out of the way, no, I don't think it's thrash either. It has mroe in common with (average) Heavy metal, so that's where my vote goes. Hurray.

you said everything but your reason. thank you.
05.04.2009 - 17:16
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Written by Guest on 05.04.2009 at 16:50

It's TRASH for sure!

you said everything but your reason. thank you.

Well, what about the lack of thrash riffs? Or thrash vocals? Or thrash etc... I just don't hear any thrash in this. Well, a riff here and there, a bit of aggression on some moments, but in the end, the balance slams down on the Heavy metal side.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
05.04.2009 - 17:16
Metal_Militia
I dont think its a thrash album more than it is just a "heavy metal" album. Because for me personally, i think a thrash album has to have a certain swagger. For example, i dont think James' vocals are fierce enough. They are good heavy metal vocals, but arent thrash in my opinion. The subject matters to some of the songs and some of the lyrics however are pretty thrash though. I just dont think it has the Fuck You attitude for a thrash album for me. I certainly like it though!
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

05.04.2009 - 17:25
Syk
myspace/bonerama

It's TRASH for sure!

I hate that mixup so much it just never crossed my mind. Thanks for the smile!
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays