Metal Storm logo
Is Death Magnetic a Thrash Album or its not?

Original post

Posted by , 04.04.2009 - 16:26
Please listen to the album nicely and vote at this poll. The main goal of this poll is to enlighten that what fans think about this album and why?
For me its like a thrash metal album, specially when it goes to Kirk Hammet's solo's. Its not like 80's Thrash albums and all of us know it for sure, But I cant say it is a Death Metal or Glam! nor Doom or Heavy and doesnt need to think about Black Metal too! For me, this album "Based On Thrash Metal", then its enough for me to call it a Thrash Metal album.

Poll

Is Death Magnetic A Thrash Album or Its not?

No
Yes

Total votes: 167
17.05.2009 - 11:16
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Guest on 17.05.2009 at 11:08

Written by Deadmeat on 17.05.2009 at 11:06

Written by Guest on 17.05.2009 at 11:01

@Deadmeat, I can hear them but cant say that they are pure heavy, I mean no bands called heavy metal with such elements. but I can hear some absolute thrash metal elements as Solos for example.

no one said it is pure heavy no one said it is pure thrash. most people here claim that it has thrash moments but it IS not thrash.

yes I know its not a pure thrash, but I say its Based on thrash, and there is no doubt about it, at least for me.

the New clause called "based on thrash" i guess is your discovery. you asked if this album is thrash. not based on thrash. IMO this is not even based on thrash. it is a combination of heavy with thrash were heavy is in most moments than thrash. Death Magnetic has a thrashy production but this doesn't make it thrash. it has songs of 5-9 minutes and most of them have a 1-2 thrashy minutes. is it thrash??? also this album has many heavy metal melodies..
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
17.05.2009 - 11:22
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by Guest on 17.05.2009 at 11:11

@Deadmeat, but if its not a pure Heavy Metal album, how can we Nominate it for best Heavy Metal Album of the year? this is a little weird.

There is simply no category for Thrash Heavy Metal or something like that, so you have to put it either in the Thrash section or in the Heavy section, and the stuff has chosen the Heavy section, so just accept that!
17.05.2009 - 11:24
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Diabolos on 17.05.2009 at 11:22

Written by Guest on 17.05.2009 at 11:11

@Deadmeat, but if its not a pure Heavy Metal album, how can we Nominate it for best Heavy Metal Album of the year? this is a little weird.

There is simply no category for Thrash Heavy Metal or something like that, so you have to put it either in the Thrash section or in the Heavy section, and the stuff has chosen the Heavy section, so just accept that!

when its based on Thrash, Im not a follower! and its not Rational man to follow things which you think they are wrong.
17.05.2009 - 11:25
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Deadmeat on 17.05.2009 at 11:16

Written by Guest on 17.05.2009 at 11:08

Written by Deadmeat on 17.05.2009 at 11:06

Written by Guest on 17.05.2009 at 11:01

@Deadmeat, I can hear them but cant say that they are pure heavy, I mean no bands called heavy metal with such elements. but I can hear some absolute thrash metal elements as Solos for example.

no one said it is pure heavy no one said it is pure thrash. most people here claim that it has thrash moments but it IS not thrash.

yes I know its not a pure thrash, but I say its Based on thrash, and there is no doubt about it, at least for me.

the New clause called "based on thrash" i guess is your discovery. you asked if this album is thrash. not based on thrash. IMO this is not even based on thrash. it is a combination of heavy with thrash were heavy is in most moments than thrash. Death Magnetic has a thrashy production but this doesn't make it thrash. it has songs of 5-9 minutes and most of them have a 1-2 thrashy minutes. is it thrash??? also this album has many heavy metal melodies..

I talked about it from my very first posts, maybe you dont have enough time to read whole posts over here.
17.05.2009 - 11:27
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Guest on 17.05.2009 at 11:25

I talked about it from my very first posts, maybe you dont have enough time to read whole posts over here.

i guess it does not change anything. you even don't say it is thrash. you say based it thrash cause it is NOT thash. i agree here with Diabolos, if there was a Heavy/Thrash category maybe it would fit better there..
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
17.05.2009 - 11:33
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Deadmeat on 17.05.2009 at 11:27

i guess it does not change anything. you even don't say it is thrash. you say based it thrash cause it is NOT thash. i agree here with Diabolos, if there was a Heavy/Thrash category maybe it would fit better there..

so it based on what? not thrash not heavy metal and not thrash heavy metal if based on Thrash Heavy metal so its an Exact Genre!
17.05.2009 - 11:35
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Guest on 17.05.2009 at 11:33

so it based on what? not thrash not heavy metal and not thrash heavy metal if based on Thrash Heavy metal so its an Exact Genre!

wtf does "based on xxx" mean???? it is or it is not. i don't understand this phrase... when you say based on you mean "it is" or something else????
----
17.05.2009 - 11:58
Diabolos
Space For Rent!

Ofcourse Thrash Heavy is a genre, but there's only a Thrash category and a Heavy category here, so you can decide between those two or leave it out, but not more
17.05.2009 - 13:00
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Diabolos on 17.05.2009 at 11:58

Ofcourse Thrash Heavy is a genre, but there's only a Thrash category and a Heavy category here, so you can decide between those two or leave it out, but not more

this is acceptable!
18.05.2009 - 06:10
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Guest on 17.05.2009 at 10:32

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 17.05.2009 at 02:38

I voted no... It has some thrashy elemets but it's in general a Heavy metal album.

would you mind to count some of those Elements?

Dude, what are you talkin' about? It's very clear that it's a heavy album full of "...And Justice For All".
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
18.05.2009 - 09:55
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 18.05.2009 at 06:10

Written by Guest on 17.05.2009 at 10:32

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 17.05.2009 at 02:38

I voted no... It has some thrashy elemets but it's in general a Heavy metal album.

would you mind to count some of those Elements?

Dude, what are you talkin' about? It's very clear that it's a heavy album full of "...And Justice For All".

lol, ok then!
19.05.2009 - 23:18
Omegabyss
Account deleted
I Shall call Death Magnetic, Progressive Thrash Metal!!!
19.05.2009 - 23:20
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Guest on 19.05.2009 at 23:18

why????
----
19.05.2009 - 23:22
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 19.05.2009 at 23:18

yeah right
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
19.05.2009 - 23:31
Omegabyss
Account deleted
Why not? it has thrash elements like in all nightmare long, end of the line, and that was just your life. but has the prog elements in Unforgiven III and day that never comes... its the best of both worlds, thats just how i see it
19.05.2009 - 23:31
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Guest on 19.05.2009 at 23:31

Why not? it has thrash elements like in all nightmare long, end of the line, and that was just your life. but has the prog elements in Unforgiven III and day that never comes... its the best of both worlds, thats just how i see it

can you exlain us where the prog elements are?
----
19.05.2009 - 23:35
Omegabyss
Account deleted
Its throughout the album, it sounds more mature than stufff from Master of Puppets and whatnot,

Metallica's music just matured
Look at Iron maiden's last 3 albums, its gotten more progressive since the powerslave days.
Priests new album is entirely different too i dont know what to label it...
20.05.2009 - 00:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 19.05.2009 at 23:35

Crap?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.05.2009 - 01:52
Omegabyss
Account deleted
LOL!!! well we are entitled to our own opinion... I dont see how you can call it crap when I call it a gem... But like they say, one mans trash is another mans treasure...

Or is it, When in Rome?
20.05.2009 - 07:13
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 19.05.2009 at 23:35

Its throughout the album, it sounds more mature than stufff from Master of Puppets and whatnot,

Metallica's music just matured
Look at Iron maiden's last 3 albums, its gotten more progressive since the powerslave days.

look man, mellow moments don't mean progressive. If you wanna know what prog thrash is, listen to Anacrusis or Watchtower, or Coroner.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
20.05.2009 - 11:38
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
This album has a lot of thrash metal elements, for example all of solo's and almost drums sounds, bass guitar is not sound like heavy metal bass songs. and in the end there are just some Riffs which are heavy. and in the end PPL JUST WANT TO HEAR SCREAMY VOCALS to call an album A TRASH ALBUM. but when james cant sing like that it doesnt mean that this album is heavy metal. (his vocals is not even heavy metal is it? )

and about Progressive or Avant-Grade, Im agree that Metallica after 90's are Avant-Grade and in this album maybe a little Progressive, but Unofrgiven III is not a metal song as Nothing Else Matters wasnt a Metal song, this is a Ballad not a Progressive song.
20.05.2009 - 13:41
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Guest on 20.05.2009 at 11:38

and in the end PPL JUST WANT TO HEAR SCREAMY VOCALS to call an album A TRASH ALBUM. but when james cant sing like that it doesnt mean that this album is heavy metal. (his vocals is not even heavy metal is it? )

i didn't see many people here saying that because of the vocals DM is not thrash. basically i didn't see Anyone. everyone talked about the music...
----
20.05.2009 - 14:31
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Deadmeat on 20.05.2009 at 13:41

and in the end PPL JUST WANT TO HEAR SCREAMY VOCALS to call an album A TRASH ALBUM. but when james cant sing like that it doesnt mean that this album is heavy metal. (his vocals is not even heavy metal is it? )

i didn't see many people here saying that because of the vocals DM is not thrash. basically i didn't see Anyone. everyone talked about the music...

so you mean if James was sang screamy as 80's, this was a heavy metal album again?
20.05.2009 - 14:50
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Guest on 20.05.2009 at 14:31

so you mean if James was sang screamy as 80's, this was a heavy metal album again?

halfors screams to. but it is heavy metal. the vocals don't not play as important role as music. metallica in kill them all and ride the lightning had more screaming vocals but they had much speed, musical dirrection etc so to be mentioned as thrash. do you say that the music of kill em all and death magnetic is the same style????
----
20.05.2009 - 14:54
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Deadmeat on 20.05.2009 at 14:50

Written by Guest on 20.05.2009 at 14:31

halfors screams to. but it is heavy metal. the vocals don't not play as important role as music. metallica in kill them all and ride the lightning had more screaming vocals but they had much speed, musical dirrection etc so to be mentioned as thrash. do you say that the music of kill em all and death magnetic is the same style????

ok this is a heavy metal album with trash elements lol, so tell me which heavy metal album is like Death Magnetic, I want to hear such albums more.
20.05.2009 - 15:20
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Guest on 20.05.2009 at 14:54

ok this is a heavy metal album with trash elements lol, so tell me which heavy metal album is like Death Magnetic, I want to hear such albums more.

i don't know many as i do listen a lot to heavy but the last album of anthrax is heavy metal with thrash moments as DM...
----
21.05.2009 - 19:45
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Deadmeat on 20.05.2009 at 15:20

i don't know many as i do listen a lot to heavy but the last album of anthrax is heavy metal with thrash moments as DM...

and its a heavy metal album? which?
21.05.2009 - 19:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 21.05.2009 at 19:45

We've Come For You All he means. And yes that is also a heavy metal album with thrash moments just like Death Magnetic. Although the two sound nothing alike. But then again it doesn't have to sound like exactly something else to belong to the same group/
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.05.2009 - 20:42
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.05.2009 at 19:53

We've Come For You All he means. And yes that is also a heavy metal album with thrash moments just like Death Magnetic. Although the two sound nothing alike. But then again it doesn't have to sound like exactly something else to belong to the same group/

when you call Lamb of God, a thrash metal in MS, then you can call We've Come For You as a heavy metal album.
this is a really metalcore album and some songs are comparable with Lamb of God works thats all, has nothing with Death Magnetic.

PS: ROFL, Anthrax after 1994 is a heavy metal band LOL, LMAFO

http://metalstorm.ee/bands/band.php?band_id=35&bandname=Anthrax
21.05.2009 - 20:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 21.05.2009 at 20:42

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.05.2009 at 19:53

when you call Lamb of God, a thrash metal in MS, then you can call We've Come For You as a heavy metal album.
this is a really metalcore album and some songs are comparable with Lamb of God works thats all, has nothing with Death Magnetic.

PS: ROFL, Anthrax after 1994 is a heavy metal band LOL, LMAFO

http://metalstorm.ee/bands/band.php?band_id=35&bandname=Anthrax

Lamb Of God's As The Palaces Burn is purely thrash just like Slayer.

Anthrax after 1994 isn't thrash at all. if you think that is thrash then you clearly have no idea what thrash is.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996