Metal Storm logo
Is Death Magnetic a Thrash Album or its not?

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 04.04.2009 - 16:26
Please listen to the album nicely and vote at this poll. The main goal of this poll is to enlighten that what fans think about this album and why?
For me its like a thrash metal album, specially when it goes to Kirk Hammet's solo's. Its not like 80's Thrash albums and all of us know it for sure, But I cant say it is a Death Metal or Glam! nor Doom or Heavy and doesnt need to think about Black Metal too! For me, this album "Based On Thrash Metal", then its enough for me to call it a Thrash Metal album.

Poll

Is Death Magnetic A Thrash Album or Its not?

No
Yes

Total votes: 167
17.07.2009 - 14:46
Solstafir!
All Nightmare long is an awesome thrash song!
I vote YES.
17.07.2009 - 23:09
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Solstafir! on 17.07.2009 at 14:46

All Nightmare long is an awesome thrash song!
I vote YES.

enough said, lol, what about other songs? none of them are thrash?
17.07.2009 - 23:12
Evil Chip
Some songs remind me of thrash but when I hear the whole album I think its a heavy metal album.
31.07.2009 - 22:44
Brave
Written by Deadmeat on 07.04.2009 at 17:07

Written by Brave on 05.04.2009 at 18:51

and i think it's not real thrash metal

then why you voted yes? i mean ok you like it, but if you think it is not thrash why dont you say: "it's not thrash but i like it a lot!"
why should you vote yes? just because you like the album?

Well i like album but more than i like the band
01.08.2009 - 11:35
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Brave on 31.07.2009 at 22:44

then why you voted yes? i mean ok you like it, but if you think it is not thrash why dont you say: "it's not thrash but i like it a lot!"

this wasnt his question! he said if you like the album, it doesnt mean its a thrash album.
01.08.2009 - 21:54
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Written by Guest on 01.08.2009 at 11:35

this wasnt his question! he said if you like the album, it doesnt mean its a thrash album.

I think it could be taken as that, because a lot of people are labeling it Nu, which I would not like if it was. Thrash.
02.08.2009 - 00:19
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by bloodwrage on 01.08.2009 at 21:54

Written by Guest on 01.08.2009 at 11:35

I think it could be taken as that, because a lot of people are labeling it Nu, which I would not like if it was. Thrash.

NU? lol after some years now I understand that a lot of ppl are against metallica and say what they want without knowing nothin about rock ! doesnt matter let them to think what they want but this album is a thrash album not heavy metal, in every metal song there are some elements of heavy metal but it doesnt mean that all of them arent nothin but heavy metal. anyway Beer 'Em All
02.08.2009 - 02:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 02.08.2009 at 00:19

Written by bloodwrage on 01.08.2009 at 21:54

NU? lol after some years now I understand that a lot of ppl are against metallica and say what they want without knowing nothin about rock ! doesnt matter let them to think what they want but this album is a thrash album not heavy metal, in every metal song there are some elements of heavy metal but it doesnt mean that all of them arent nothin but heavy metal. anyway Beer 'Em All

Labelling this album as Nu is just ridiculous I totally agree. But I still disagree that this album is thrash, only a few songs have thrash elements in them the rest are just just pure plain heavy metal.
But Nu never.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.10.2009 - 21:12
Hanyuchan
Sounds to me more like a straight up heavy metal album.
24.10.2009 - 21:27
Znoy
Sometimes i think - trash - sometimes - alternative. But it is not heavy metal. That is why Judas's "Nostradamus" may be the winner in 2008
I can say that it is "alternative trash" metal. I heard some alternative riffs for my mind. Lyrics are not deep and clever. We can hear this themes and riffs from other of hundreds bands. Madness, schizophrenia, brutality...
Boring...
25.10.2009 - 09:22
Angelic Storm
Melodious
It is basically a thrash album, peppered with some of the later alternative elements they embraced from the 90's onwards. Songs like "My Apocalypse" and "That Was Just Your Life" are definitely thrash songs, and certain parts in other songs are also thrash. I like to call it a "mature thrash album".
03.12.2009 - 17:47
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
As I remember metallica's last genre was called just Heavy Metal on their metal storm's page, but now it says Thrash Heavy Metal. if Im not wrong about this change, now Im really happy cause of this thread. it seems that it helped a little.
03.12.2009 - 18:24
Chainer
Witch Hunter Gen
Quote:
I like to call it a "mature thrash album".

When you put it like that it really sounds like their a bunch of old dudes trying to get back some former glory. And if this 'mature thrash' exists what the hell is it? Some of Death Magnetic is great, and some of it seems watered down, so is this so called 'mature thrash' in fact a metal album with some thrash elements? Its true that some of Death Magnetic is thrash, but 'some' thrash is not enough to constitute a thrash album.
----
Written by Dangerboner on 02.11.2009 at 08:11

Everything he doesn't like is metalcore. Britney Spears, Elton John, Michael Moore, and green beans are also metalcore, in case you guys didn't know.
03.12.2009 - 21:45
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 03.12.2009 at 17:47

As I remember metallica's last genre was called just Heavy Metal on their metal storm's page, but now it says Thrash Heavy Metal. if Im not wrong about this change, now Im really happy cause of this thread. it seems that it helped a little.

Dude, Thrash Heavy Metal was there almost right after its release....
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
03.12.2009 - 22:40
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 03.12.2009 at 21:45

Written by Guest on 03.12.2009 at 17:47

Dude, Thrash Heavy Metal was there almost right after its release....

anyway I think somthing is changed over there, 90's heavy metal? I cant remember such things. there is difference. cause Trash Heavy is acceptable. and my question shows that there was such a thing I dont know.
04.12.2009 - 16:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Last time Metallica's style was changed was February 1 2008 so way before this thread was started. Btw, as if we would listen to the nonsense ramblings in this thread from some Metallica fanboys.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.12.2009 - 18:12
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.12.2009 at 16:34

Last time Metallica's style was changed was February 1 2008 so way before this thread was started. Btw, as if we would listen to the nonsense ramblings in this thread from some Metallica fanboys.

you are a metallica fanboy arent you?
04.12.2009 - 18:33
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
It's really both, but a lot of songs are thrash. i voted thrash
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
05.12.2009 - 00:19
IronBlackZepp
I guess it really deosnt matter if this is thrash or not because it is a step in the right direction for Metallica. After years of bad albums they needed to put out something good. This is the best Metallica album since 1991, we should just be happy they didnt put out another st. anger. If you are a fan of Metallica you just gotta be happy with what is on this album because it is pretty great.
05.12.2009 - 06:53
SatyriconChick
I say yes. While it's not really comparable to their earliest releases, DM definitely has some thrash elements.
06.12.2009 - 02:50
Richard
Elite
Written by SatyriconChick on 05.12.2009 at 06:53

I say yes. While it's not really comparable to their earliest releases, DM definitely has some thrash elements.

True, but I wouldn't call it an outright 'Thrash album' as such because of that. My opinion on that matter leans more towards that of Marcel's earlier thoughts.

However, regardless of how one thinks of Metallica in this day and age, I do like this album. One could claim it is contrived in a way, and a group of multi-millionaires playing music which has elements from their past may make many potential listeners approach the album with a different mindset. But all things considered, I think it's a pretty damn good album.
----
10.12.2009 - 17:04
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Richard on 06.12.2009 at 02:50

Written by SatyriconChick on 05.12.2009 at 06:53

True, but I wouldn't call it an outright 'Thrash album' as such because of that. My opinion on that matter leans more towards that of Marcel's earlier thoughts.

However, regardless of how one thinks of Metallica in this day and age, I do like this album. One could claim it is contrived in a way, and a group of multi-millionaires playing music which has elements from their past may make many potential listeners approach the album with a different mindset. But all things considered, I think it's a pretty damn good album.

I think oyu can love metallica even if you are 60. why not? why ppl say: "Marcel you went to metallica's concert on this age?!!!!" its very meaningless. why new metallers think that metallica is kidish or ...

the other thing is about the genre. I dont think if this album is not a thrash album it means its a bad album! it can be a heavy metal album and a good one. someone overhere on this thread think that we(fanboys) are trying to say that this is a good album cause its a thrash one. no at least not IMO. I just wanted to discover that how many ppl are agree with me, and Im sure that if I opened a poll about "is it a heavy album or not" more ppl would vote for no I think.
17.01.2010 - 18:35
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
@ Ktulu and Marcel,

I remembered why I opened this poll! it was cause of nominations. MS had nominated it under Heavy Metal name. and for me it was more Trash. but all in all, why its not nominated in both genres? if an album is good it can harvest all awards I think. I think it was cause of Testament. but dont care anymore.
17.01.2010 - 19:09
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
@TBG: if you don't care why do you keep bringing up the subject? It was nominated in the heavy metal category because it's a heavy metal album (with thrash elements) not the other way around. If you feel otherwise to bad for you
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
17.01.2010 - 19:19
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by GT on 17.01.2010 at 19:09

@TBG: if you don't care why do you keep bringing up the subject?

cause its was needed, go back and read you will find why I used an @.
17.01.2010 - 19:34
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Guest on 17.01.2010 at 18:35

@ Ktulu and Marcel,

I remembered why I opened this poll! it was cause of nominations. MS had nominated it under Heavy Metal name. and for me it was more Trash. but all in all, why its not nominated in both genres? if an album is good it can harvest all awards I think. I think it was cause of Testament. but dont care anymore.

because that is how we roll. we don't want some useless poll like Terrorizer where one band wins all. the majority (after the fact and as evidenced by this poll) feel the album qualified as heavy. we put it in heavy.

get over it.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.01.2010 - 20:05
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 17.01.2010 at 19:34

Written by Guest on 17.01.2010 at 18:35

@ Ktulu and Marcel,

because that is how we roll. we don't want some useless poll like Terrorizer where one band wins all. the majority (after the fact and as evidenced by this poll) feel the album qualified as heavy. we put it in heavy.

get over it.

Sir Yes Sir.
26.04.2010 - 07:44
IDieForMetal
I think the album Death Magnetic, Metallica wanted to return to his style, and I think they succeeded. For me it is a very good album.
28.07.2010 - 07:25
Damage inc.
Great album
28.07.2010 - 14:35
vezzy
Stallmanite
It is thrash-y at times, but generally I'd call it a heavy metal album.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.