Metal Storm logo
Is Doom Metal an Original Metal Genre or not?

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 05.04.2009 - 19:23
Maybe someone thinks why I opened such poll. I have to tell a story:
I was at a persian metal blog 2 mounths ago, I entered to Doom Metal thread and saw a post which was saying:

"Doom Metal is not an Original Metal Genre and it came through Heavy Metal by Black Sabbath"

we talked a lot about this, my opinion was that Doom Metal is an original genre, but the lady who was talkin with me tried to convince me that its not and her reasons were that we cant find any 2 doom metal bands which sounds the same! and her other reason was that, "why every subgenres of doom metal has a suffix or prefix such as black doom, death doom ... etc.

I said to her, that I'll open a poll here at Metal Storm for enlighten this topic.

Edited: The other thing which we talked about it much, was that she and her friends were saying that: "Traditional Doom is not a original one cause its coming through the heart of NWOBHM and Heavy Metal itself", they tried to convince me that Traditional is mixed with Doom

Poll

Is Doom Metal an Original Metal Genre or not?

Yes it is Original
No its not Original

Total votes: 102
03.06.2009 - 10:24
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Guest on 03.06.2009 at 10:03

Written by BitterCOld on 02.06.2009 at 21:28

Written by Guest on 02.06.2009 at 17:57

100% wrong

really?

for the most part, it seems fairly correct to me. it's wrong in some areas. that's not 100% wrong. Overreact and overstate much?

+ Marcel

lol, I didnt mean that all the tree is wrong, but it has mistakes, and I answered like that cause this guy asked if is it wrong or not. and if there is a Wrong and Right, I choose wrong for this tree.

the chart, for the most part is pretty good. it's not fucking "100% wrong" because 10 out of 120 bands are mislabeled.

in life there are things called "shades of gray" as pretty much NOTHING is 100% right or wrong. it's that attitude on your part that has contributed to your history of useless arguments, blow ups, and disciplinary actions. wake up, step up to reality. the incredible vast majority of life is in that gray in between area. the sooner you accept it, the better.

using your faulty logic, YOU are 100% wrong.

jesus mango fuck, imagine how school/university would be if instructors adopted your bullshit outlook on things. "Sorry, buddy, you got a 99% on your Accounting 210 test, 20% better than the next guy in the class. But you got one wrong, so YOU FAIL! 100% WRONG! 0%!"
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
10.06.2009 - 17:51
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
What a stupid question, maybe the subgenre with the most differences from the others, and so unique
----
give praise for the blood it bled,
grant a rose for the dead...
25.07.2009 - 02:52
Obin
Account deleted
I always thought that doom metal originaly came forth from death metal, and later on they started using clean vocals aswel.
25.07.2009 - 03:34
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Guest on 25.07.2009 at 02:52

I always thought that doom metal originaly came forth from death metal, and later on they started using clean vocals aswel.

doom metal kinda started with the track "Black Sabbath" ...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
25.07.2009 - 08:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite

Like bittercold said it kinda started with Black Sabbath.

It started with clean vocals with band such as Black Sabbath, Pentagram, Trouble, Candlemass and only later started to crossover with death metal (think My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, Anathema, Winter etc.)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.07.2009 - 10:42
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I find doom metal (at least those i have listened from it) to be quite specific and unique...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

25.07.2009 - 11:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ellrohir on 25.07.2009 at 10:42

I find doom metal (at least those i have listened from it) to be quite specific and unique...

and you're wright about it man its ubique there isnt genre who's so unique, only goths thinks gothic staff is uniqe and bm fans think they are warriors against ....lol
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.07.2009 - 13:56
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I am bm fan and i dont think i am warrior against anything
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

25.07.2009 - 15:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ellrohir on 25.07.2009 at 13:56

I am bm fan and i dont think i am warrior against anything

me to but those only BM who dontr like other genres like Ghaal , one member from MS etc
----

apos;'
[image]
26.07.2009 - 14:27
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Who are these 3 nice ppl who voted for no and didnt say nothin here at thread?
10.10.2009 - 10:15
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Well, I heard many doom bands in my life, and I also think this genre is unique enough to say it's original. But if you examine this from another side, like: When did the bands/journalists begin to say "Doom" instead of "Heavy"? So we could say the origin was the heavy metal but doom metal developed itself as a different music style through many years. So maybe it's not and original genre, because it has its roots, but also heavily unique to say it's original. I don't know.

PS: What is doom metal in Black Sabbath? I always thought as heavy metal about it.
----
10.10.2009 - 12:21
Jan
I simply can't get my head around her argument - but never mind:

I think that doom (of course) is a original genre. Nuff said.
11.10.2009 - 11:32
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
For me Doom is as original as "Old School Heavy Metal" is, cause they have born almost at the same time and maybe thats why very less ppl who dont have good information about metal music think that Doom is nothin but a mixed genre.
27.02.2010 - 10:34
Britland
I voted no. Doom is just one of many branches (albeit a major one) stemming from the tree of HM. Black Sabbath was first notable instance. But then what about The Kinks? You Really Got Me must be one of the first HM songs? Everything splinters once it has been defined - that is why the labelling now is almost meaningless. It is all HM.
22.09.2011 - 20:16
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Of course it's an original genre, and in the recent years it became as big as death and black metal. Also, it has musical characteristics different from other metal genres, and this makes it an original genre.
28.10.2012 - 11:38
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I do believe so, it is slower and heavier than many other genres of metal and therefore makes it a distinct and unique genre.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
31.10.2012 - 14:45
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
What kind of a question is that? By that logic the entire metal genre is unoriginal if we are speaking of Black Sabbath as an influence. Rubbish. All music has its inspirations and the doom genre you have today is clearly something of a distinct sound to the kind of music Black Sabbath were playing, not to mention the various forms it has developed into.
31.10.2012 - 17:21
Aristarchos
Written by Britland on 27.02.2010 at 10:34

I voted no. Doom is just one of many branches (albeit a major one) stemming from the tree of HM. Black Sabbath was first notable instance. But then what about The Kinks? You Really Got Me must be one of the first HM songs? Everything splinters once it has been defined - that is why the labelling now is almost meaningless. It is all HM.

I wouldn't call "You Really Got Me" heavy metal, although it's probably the first hard rock song ever. I think Blue Cheer's "Summertime Blues" from 1967 is the first example of heavy metal.
27.01.2013 - 05:10
squidrick420
Written by BitterCOld on 25.07.2009 at 03:34

doom metal kinda started with the track "Black Sabbath" ...

correct. nothing defines old doom more than early sabbath, especially the Masters Of Reality album
24.08.2013 - 14:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Is there some portal or like facebook for example Doom and its all supgenres, simmilar pages or portals where I can read newswest doom metal news?
----

apos;'
[image]
25.08.2013 - 03:27
Heavy Mettle
Written by Bad English on 24.08.2013 at 14:52

Is there some portal or like facebook for example Doom and its all supgenres, simmilar pages or portals where I can read newswest doom metal news?

I believe your best bet would be http://www.doommantia.com/, since they seem to be on top of things. However, I also know the admins of that site were homeless for a little while, so I can't be too sure how up-to-date it is.
25.08.2013 - 21:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Heavy Mettle on 25.08.2013 at 03:27

Written by Bad English on 24.08.2013 at 14:52

I believe your best bet would be http://www.doommantia.com/, since they seem to be on top of things. However, I also know the admins of that site were homeless for a little while, so I can't be too sure how up-to-date it is.

seems decent to me, but I would like more MS style where are more 1-2 day old news poseted everywhere, because looking to all band pages are not possible ;(
blabber sucks and ms members dont add so much news , I am only one who do add a lot of news, old days here were diferent
----

apos;'
[image]
28.08.2013 - 09:28
Lady GaGa
Account deleted
Of course it is, it's one of the most original genre.