Metal Storm logo
Is Doom Metal an Original Metal Genre or not?

Original post

Posted by , 05.04.2009 - 19:23
Maybe someone thinks why I opened such poll. I have to tell a story:
I was at a persian metal blog 2 mounths ago, I entered to Doom Metal thread and saw a post which was saying:

"Doom Metal is not an Original Metal Genre and it came through Heavy Metal by Black Sabbath"

we talked a lot about this, my opinion was that Doom Metal is an original genre, but the lady who was talkin with me tried to convince me that its not and her reasons were that we cant find any 2 doom metal bands which sounds the same! and her other reason was that, "why every subgenres of doom metal has a suffix or prefix such as black doom, death doom ... etc.

I said to her, that I'll open a poll here at Metal Storm for enlighten this topic.

Edited: The other thing which we talked about it much, was that she and her friends were saying that: "Traditional Doom is not a original one cause its coming through the heart of NWOBHM and Heavy Metal itself", they tried to convince me that Traditional is mixed with Doom

Poll

Is Doom Metal an Original Metal Genre or not?

Yes it is Original
No its not Original

Total votes: 101
09.04.2009 - 19:25
Slayer666

If you ask me, it's incredibly stupid to actually call an entire genre original or unoriginal. Original compared to what? Another genre? That can hardly even BE compared. The only thing that cen be labeled as original as either a band or an album, and even then you compare one og those to others of the same genre.
09.04.2009 - 19:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Well ks her what is death/black metal is it belonsg to death metal genre or black metal genre
Id we talk about whos genre whos not I say we shood discuss if power metal is genre or belongs to pop rock
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.04.2009 - 20:00
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 09.04.2009 at 19:25

If you ask me, it's incredibly stupid to actually call an entire genre original or unoriginal. Original compared to what? Another genre? That can hardly even BE compared. The only thing that cen be labeled as original as either a band or an album, and even then you compare one og those to others of the same genre.

is death metal an original genre of metal musi or not? I think this may help you! or
is metal an original genre of music or not?
is rock an original genre of music or not?
09.04.2009 - 20:07
Slayer666

Written by Guest on 09.04.2009 at 20:00

is death metal an original genre of metal musi or not? I think this may help you! or

When you say that something is original, you compare it to something that already exsits. If it's different than that which you are comparing it to, than you say it's original. What are you comparing Death metal or Doom metal to?
OR, perhaps I misunderstood you. When you say original, do you mean that that music derives from some other kind of music or is has been formed on it's own? Is that what you meant?
09.04.2009 - 22:20
tulkas
el parcero
Of course it is original. the fact that a genre was influcened by another, or that a musical style was influenced by another, doesn't mean that it is not original. if that was true, then metal as a whole wouldn't be original, and that's just stupid, as you've already might've thought. sure, there's influence, whch means there's stuff that might be slightly the same, but it doesn't mean it's not original. doom is as original as black is, as heavy is, etc etc.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
10.04.2009 - 15:55
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 09.04.2009 at 20:07

OR, perhaps I misunderstood you. When you say original, do you mean that that music derives from some other kind of music or is has been formed on it's own? Is that what you meant?

first of all you have to know that Im not so agree with take genres too serious, cause as you said we cant say for example: metallica's Load and Reload are Rock albums, cause we can see a lot of country music's elements and some metal elements on them. as we cant say it about Death Magnetic. (ppl over here have to not compare this poll to my another poll about Death Magnetic, cause that one is a little personal to be honest and so hard to Recognize or maybe its meaningless! but not this one IMO)

But we have to care about some important kinds of music, when someone says Doom Metal is not original, I think he/she means that: Doom Metal is not a genre itself (do you understand?) and its Just a "Mixed UP Genre" as for example "Atmospheric Death Metal" is, let me explain you this way:
if was asked: "Is Death Doom Metal an original genre of metal music or not?" maybe at least 90% of ppl over here would answer by "No its not".

but We are talkin about an important part of metal music as Death Metal as ... , so I think now you understand what Ive meant.
12.04.2009 - 18:19
Slayer666

Written by Guest on 10.04.2009 at 15:55

Written by Slayer666 on 09.04.2009 at 20:07

first of all you have to know that Im not so agree with take genres too serious, cause as you said we cant say for example: metallica's Load and Reload are Rock albums, cause we can see a lot of country music's elements and some metal elements on them. as we cant say it about Death Magnetic. (ppl over here have to not compare this poll to my another poll about Death Magnetic, cause that one is a little personal to be honest and so hard to Recognize or maybe its meaningless! but not this one IMO)

But we have to care about some important kinds of music, when someone says Doom Metal is not original, I think he/she means that: Doom Metal is not a genre itself (do you understand?) and its Just a "Mixed UP Genre" as for example "Atmospheric Death Metal" is, let me explain you this way:
if was asked: "Is Death Doom Metal an original genre of metal music or not?" maybe at least 90% of ppl over here would answer by "No its not".

but We are talkin about an important part of metal music as Death Metal as ... , so I think now you understand what Ive meant.

Aah, that's what you meant...... Well, to that I have to say, Doom is an original genre. If you ask me, it's been formed on it's own, maybe a few influences from Heavy, but all in all, original in it's own right.
13.04.2009 - 23:28
ForeverDarkWoods

I sum my argument up to:

Doom metal is compromized of unique qualities that the other genres of metal do not have. It has been treading new territory that the other metal genres doesn't touch. It has a unique sound, and you can always recognize the doom influences when they are present. Doom is doom, and nothing else. Traditional doom sounds like nothing else, and while the lines sometimes blur around some of the subgenres, doom always has some identifiable qualities. For instance, no matter what you want to call it, bends like Reverend Bizarre and Saint Vitus can't be called anything but doom.

As such, doom is an original genre.

Besides, this seems kinda pointless. The music will still sound the same no matter what we call it. I could call it bigfoot metal and say that it's some strange subgenre of ambient music and it would still sound the same.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
14.04.2009 - 11:23
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 13.04.2009 at 23:28

I sum my argument up to:

Doom metal is compromized of unique qualities that the other genres of metal do not have. It has been treading new territory that the other metal genres doesn't touch. It has a unique sound, and you can always recognize the doom influences when they are present. Doom is doom, and nothing else. Traditional doom sounds like nothing else, and while the lines sometimes blur around some of the subgenres, doom always has some identifiable qualities. For instance, no matter what you want to call it, bends like Reverend Bizarre and Saint Vitus can't be called anything but doom.

As such, doom is an original genre.

Besides, this seems kinda pointless. The music will still sound the same no matter what we call it. I could call it bigfoot metal and say that it's some strange subgenre of ambient music and it would still sound the same.

it seems you heard a lot of doom, and yes you are so true. Doom have a Sense in it which other metal genres dont have it. most of doom bands has a sound which is screaming from miles that: this is a doom metal sound!
21.04.2009 - 09:10
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
This is taken from A Headbanger's Journey:

for the clear image click bellow:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b7/Metal_Genealogy.jpg

why it doesnt include Doom Metal?
21.04.2009 - 09:33
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Candlemass and cathedral show up under stoner metal...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.04.2009 - 09:41
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 21.04.2009 at 09:33

take a look at My Dying Bride, then you wont be surprised of candlemass!
21.04.2009 - 09:57
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 21.04.2009 at 09:41

Written by BitterCOld on 21.04.2009 at 09:33

take a look at My Dying Bride, then you wont be surprised of candlemass!

it also has Suicidal Tendencies and DRI as Metalcore... when both are cross over thrash.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.04.2009 - 10:03
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
@bittercold, have you seen the movie?
21.04.2009 - 13:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
That metal genealogy tree is quite hilarious at times. At times totally wrong and at other times totally spot on.
Although the documentary itself is good one should disregard this Metal Genealogy Tree
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.04.2009 - 14:18
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.04.2009 at 13:37

That metal genealogy tree is quite hilarious at times. At times totally wrong and at other times totally spot on.
Although the documentary itself is good one should disregard this Metal Genealogy Tree

but when you see all genres over there, its a shame that there isnt anythin about doom metal , and it seems that there are some ppl who denyes Doom Metal. Stoner is a genre but Doom Metal isnt?!
21.04.2009 - 19:00
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 21.04.2009 at 10:03

yes. i have seen both of his movies.
----

22.04.2009 - 15:24
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 21.04.2009 at 19:00

after you mentioned about both of his movies, I tried to found the another cause I hadnt seen that one, then I found that he has a third movie which is released yesterday!!!!-maybe its release date is change but its what IMDB says.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0242757/
22.04.2009 - 15:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 22.04.2009 at 15:24

after you mentioned about both of his movies, I tried to found the another cause I hadnt seen that one, then I found that he has a third movie which is released yesterday!!!!-maybe its release date is change but its what IMDB says.

The first movie is Headbanger's Journey
Second movie is Global Metal
and his
Third movie is Iron Maiden: Flight 666 which was rleased yesterday cause I know that a couple of people I know were going to see it in the cinema yesterday.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.04.2009 - 16:01
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.04.2009 at 15:42

Written by Guest on 22.04.2009 at 15:24

The first movie is Headbanger's Journey
Second movie is Global Metal
and his
Third movie is Iron Maiden: Flight 666 which was rleased yesterday cause I know that a couple of people I know were going to see it in the cinema yesterday.

thank you marcel, it seems that its on Turkey's cinema's too. but I havent seen global metal too, I have to take a look at it.
25.04.2009 - 16:02
TheBigRossowski

How could one not consider Doom it's own genre? It's all generally from an individual perspective anyways. Everybody outside of the metal community wouldn't separate black metal from heavy metal. They couldn't draw a line between Emperor and Iron Maiden.

Who cares what that Lady thinks, Doom is Doom.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
25.04.2009 - 16:32
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
But I cant understand why this guy in "A Headbangers Journey" didnt accept Doom Metal as a genre! cause he is from deep inside of metal not an outlooker.
29.04.2009 - 13:18
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
Technically since Black Sabbath would rollin that catagory it's sorta the idea that started metal. Honestly, it's origional b/c a founding father of metal prettymuch wrote entirely based on the subject of "doom". In all reality how is it not origional?
----
08.05.2009 - 08:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I came across the following thread on the Hellride Music Forums and it goes perfectly with the discussion here (the guy at Hellride Music bumped into it at Metal-Archives (where else )
http://www.hellridemusic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19946
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.06.2009 - 17:57
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 02.06.2009 at 17:01

Written by Guest on 21.04.2009 at 09:10

this genealogy tree is a bit wrong

100% wrong
02.06.2009 - 21:28
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 02.06.2009 at 17:57

100% wrong

really?

for the most part, it seems fairly correct to me. it's wrong in some areas. that's not 100% wrong. Overreact and overstate much?
----

03.06.2009 - 07:28
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
This kind of thread doesn't surprise me, someone said here that people outside this kind of music wouln't be able to draw a line between Iron Maiden and Emperor, and I believe that in many ocassions that is so true, (now I can hear the typical phrase that my brother says to me: "all your music sounds like the same band") some months ago, I told a friend of mine that "indie" is not a musical genre, but a word to explain that this or that band is an independent band, without a label, etc. He responded with unholly fury that "Metal is not a musical genre" (knowing that I like metal of course), that idiot...

Again, the point is, we humans, always try to categorize everything, is like something embeded on our nature. As I said in other post, we use sub-genres to compare a band with another, so that way you will know what you will listen to when you buy an album from a new band, if it says, thrash metal you know how will it sound, not the same if it says power metal. But when you enjoy your music, genres are the less important you should care about, enjoy your music, simple as that.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
03.06.2009 - 08:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

Written by Guest on 02.06.2009 at 17:01

Written by Guest on 21.04.2009 at 09:10

this genealogy tree is a bit wrong

100% wrong

Nope, actually most of it is actually quite right. But he misses out on doom and has some weird stuff there as well.

Btw, the tree diagram wasn't composed by Sam Dunn, but by Martin Popoff of Brave words & Bloody Knuckles.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.06.2009 - 08:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by BitterCOld on 02.06.2009 at 21:28

100% wrong

really?

for the most part, it seems fairly correct to me. it's wrong in some areas. that's not 100% wrong. Overreact and overstate much?

And it wasn't drawn up by Sam Dunn but by Martin Popooff of Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles. I always knew he didn't know too much about thrash and what are its classics (just read his books on metal and see his ratings there) but saying Children Of Bodom are thrash is truly hilarious imo
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.06.2009 - 10:03
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 02.06.2009 at 21:28

100% wrong

really?

+ Marcel

lol, I didnt mean that all the tree is wrong, but it has mistakes, and I answered like that cause this guy asked if is it wrong or not. and if there is a Wrong and Right, I choose wrong for this tree.