02. Evenfall
03. Pale Enchantress
04. December Elegy
05. Midwintertears
06. Angellore
07. My Lost Lenore
08. Wasteland's Caress
09. Postludium

After the release of their self-titled EP, Tristania became a part of a rising label at that time (1998), Napalm Records. They started working on their long-awaited debut album since "Tristania" had received good critics from the music press. And, yes, during 1998, the debut album of Tristania, "Widow's Weeds," saw the light of day and became one of those sparkling jewels in the world of gothic metal, one of those albums that always shines for their unique feeling and beauty!

Many are the elements that consist of this beauteous diamond named "Widow's Weeds," so let's see them one by one. First of all, I should mention the intense and vivid interpretation of Morten Veland. He is one of the best vocalists to pass from the atmospheric metal scene, generally, whose powerful grunts can make the listener shiver, drowned in sorrow, at any moment. Of course we shouldn't forget that Morten Veland is a huge fan of gothic rock as it was formed back in the 80s, with bands like The Sisters Of Mercy and The Fields Of The Nephilim. These elements are quite vivid in the guitar work of Tristania, but also on the gothic rock oriented clean vocals on "Angellore" interpreted by Osten Bergoy. Another strong part in Tristania's music is the charismatic Vibeke Stene's ethereal voice and also the choir that enriches the overall atmosphere with emotional colors, escalating the emotional charge of the compositions. The lyrics breathe sorrow, despair, pain and grief and they are written in a beautiful and poetic way making the dramatic essence of Tristania even more intense.

The guitar riffing is deeply inspired and at times gothic rock oriented. The keyboard piano-sounding melodies float in the air like serene mourning chants and harmonize beautifully with the violin pieces that are utterly elegiac; caressing your skin with withered rose petals leaving wounds behind. Of course, we shouldn't forget the rhythm section's excellent work that makes the compositions sound more imposing, powerful and vivid! Everyone in the band pours their soul into this album and seems to fit the word perfection without any second thought.

Songs like the dramatic and inspired "Evenfall," the elegiac and enchanting "Pale Enchantress," the gothic rock oriented "Angellore," the tear-filled and dynamic "Midwinter Tears" and, generally, the whole album fills the air with intense emotions and a wailing atmosphere; a unique atmosphere that becomes more and more addictive as you listen to "Widow's Weeds."

"Widow's Weeds" is a pure gothic metal masterpiece showing the real face of gothic through a metal prism, an album that was never surpassed, even by Tristania.

Written on 26.08.2005 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Guest review by
Ealdamir
Rating:
Well, well, well?Tristania's Widow's Weeds. It is about time I wrote a review for one of my beloved albums. So, I will try to sum up the majesty of this album in these lines.

Widow's Weeds is the first full-length of Tristania. The band was formed two years earlier by Einar Moen-keys, Keneth Olsson-drums and Morten Veland-guitars/vocals. Morten was the main figure behind Tristania back then. After a self-titled EP in 1997 that got rave reviews around Europe they signed a record deal with Napalm records and started preparing this masterpiece.

Read more ››
published 26.08.2005 | Comments (11)

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 81 users
07.04.2009 - 10:27
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Exellent album. Gothic metal is not even close to be one of my favorite style. But this album is an exellent piece of work... songs like ''Pale Enchantress'', ''Midwintertears'' and ''Angellore'' are masterpieces, the keyboard work is perfect, the atmosphere is also inspiring.

That's a must have for any metal fan, regardless the favorite style. 9.9 end up being a very fair rate. Best Tristania album ever.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
08.03.2010 - 17:24
Rating: 10
Spell

Best Tristania / Gothic Metal album ever! great review, I listen to this album ever since it was released and i dont think i will ever get enough of it. its so sad how Tristania went downhill after World of Glass, its just sad to see them now becoming "just another chick metal band"
13.12.2010 - 00:35
Homer S.
Account deleted
Damn my teenage years, dissing masterpieces like that! What was I thinking?
Had this album for years and hated it...until one day I listened to it from start to finish...and LOVED IT..."My Lost Lenore" and "Evenfall" are the best songs they ever conceived.
This album is the best example of the "Beauty and the Beast" type of Gothic Metal.
Great review!
10.01.2013 - 10:24
Rating: 10
Ethan1994

Good review. Widow's Weeds is my favourite Tristania album too.
My favourite songs from this album are "Evenfall", "Pale Enchantress", "December Elegy" and "My Lost Lenore".
22.07.2015 - 18:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 13.12.2010 at 00:35

Damn my teenage years, dissing masterpieces like that! What was I thinking?
Had this album for years and hated it...until one day I listened to it from start to finish...and LOVED IT..."My Lost Lenore" and "Evenfall" are the best songs they ever conceived.
This album is the best example of the "Beauty and the Beast" type of Gothic Metal.
Great review!

This is why in my teenage years I tried be indecent, even hang around whit friends I try be alone, solitude don't influence my judgment, friends do ... I like all genres in metal, not one
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 6481 | This month: 8