Metal Storm logo
Best Swedish Melodic Death/Gothenburg Metal band

Original post

Posted by Valmont, 13.07.2006 - 01:37
One extremely important piece of the melodic death jigsaw puzzle is the Gothenburg style, named after the city from which it originated. It is not certain what band originally started the Gothenburg sound, but it is widely accepted that In Flames, At the Gates, and Dark Tranquillity are the three major popularizers of the style, and some of the only widely known bands to practice it, with newer bands such as Arch Enemy and The Haunted being offshoots of Carcass and At The Gates respectively. -Wikipedia
I thought i can just give a little info. Not that you need it tho. Anyways so, which one is it for you? I guess this will end up Amon Amarth being the leader. I don't know maybe because they stayed pure from the beginning but my choice is Dark Tranquillity. They are giving the little signs of turning out like In Flames tho but i follow them!

Poll

Which one is the best Swedish "Melodic Death/Gothenburg Metal" band?

Dark Tranquillity
Amon Amarth
In Flames (pre-Clayman)
Arch Enemy
At The Gates
Edge of Sanity
Other
Soilwork

Total votes: 429
23.06.2007 - 23:05
Bash'
:)
Me too, went for Amon Amarth .. They are really the best to me between all those .. Arch E comes then .. and the worst to me is Soilwork .. didn't like there music so much ..
----
I saw her standing by the crimson sea...
Isolated by the silent thoughts...
Her gazing was intense but so dead...

The teardrops corroded the soil.. She couldn't say a word to me...
25.06.2007 - 19:10
Abattoir

It was difficult to decide, because all the bands are great for me...but i chose Arch Enemy. Women growling, i like it..hehe
29.06.2007 - 01:43
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
I suppose Mors Principium Est would take Edge Of Sanity's place on this poll now I think I voted Dark Tranquillity before here. They are one of my favourite bands, they've never dissapointed me, and I really admire their progression throughout the years. I still like In Flames; though I have to say Come Clarity is their worst album, Reroute To Remain is brilliant, and Soundtrack To Your Escape is quite a pleasant listen once in a while as well.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
01.07.2007 - 14:44
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
In flames. Actually i like the albums later clayman as well, except the last one.
Arch enemy follows
----
give praise for the blood it bled,
grant a rose for the dead...
01.07.2007 - 14:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Passenger on 29.06.2007 at 01:43

I suppose Mors Principium Est would take Edge Of Sanity's place on this poll now I think I voted Dark Tranquillity before here. They are one of my favourite bands, they've never dissapointed me, and I really admire their progression throughout the years. I still like In Flames; though I have to say Come Clarity is their worst album, Reroute To Remain is brilliant, and Soundtrack To Your Escape is quite a pleasant listen once in a while as well.

Hehhe i woud not ay EoS belongs here ist more tchical DM how Melo but thay are good and one of best DM bands ever and moust poetical DM band in this planate
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.07.2007 - 02:35
Varegan
Hamranakara
you had to add Dismember too. but I say just Amon Amarth
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
02.07.2007 - 16:24
Sacred Viking

Amon Amarth are true melodicc death metal band an d my vote for they
09.09.2007 - 13:04
Carrion
Account deleted
I like all the band mentioned in the poll, but my favorite is In Flames.
09.09.2007 - 22:55
Stalker
Lone wanderer
At The Gates for me. I dont really like the rest of the bands from list much.
----
10.09.2007 - 10:10
Chaosgoat

Amon Amarth and Arch Enemy tie for me. Both incredibly good IMO.
11.09.2007 - 22:59
Ellie
Account deleted
I chose other..because Dream Evil is my favourite band to come out of Gothenburg. Anyways..I assumed they would count
12.09.2007 - 04:00
selken
Irreligious
All of these bands are unique in their variants and I like them all
But I voted for Dark Tranquillity because IMO they are a bit more melodic than other bands yet remaining the most extreme for me, But also I like Hypocrisy a lot and I haven't listened to soilwork yet...
----
17.09.2007 - 13:12
jorthyf
Account deleted
Man...I had to do it and vote for Edge of Sanity. If it wasn't for that album Crimson though then At the Gates would easily have my vote.
17.09.2007 - 14:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 17.09.2007 at 13:12

Man...I had to do it and vote for Edge of Sanity. If it wasn't for that album Crimson though then At the Gates would easily have my vote.

And whats wrong whit 'Crimson'
----

apos;'
[image]
09.10.2007 - 00:05
Thrashy
Account deleted
In Flames!! all their album are great even the new ones they just different but metal still and great drumming
09.10.2007 - 23:22
Mustis
Account deleted
no way in flames is nothing compared to Dark Tranquillity. They are the best melodic death band in sweden. Dark Tranquillity Rules
09.10.2007 - 23:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 09.10.2007 at 23:22

no way in flames is nothing compared to Dark Tranquillity. They are the best melodic death band in sweden. Dark Tranquillity Rules

Knowing ghow in Flames are in nowdays i agree
----

apos;'
[image]
09.10.2007 - 23:41
Mustis
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 09.10.2007 at 23:26

Written by Guest on 09.10.2007 at 23:22

Knowing ghow in Flames are in nowdays i agree

of course, and listen to they new albums of dark tranquillity, they are gettin better and better the last 3 albums are great, they came to Venezuela in 2005 but i didnt go to the show because i didnt know well DT and i was only 14 years old damn it
10.10.2007 - 19:33
Grim Reaper
Account deleted
Amon Amarth rules, but i can't call them the best after I've seen Dark Tranquillity, the atmosphere DT generates is just Sexed Out ...
11.10.2007 - 08:31
Woutjinho
Account deleted
1. At The Gates
2. Dark Tranquillity
3. Soilwork
4. Amon Amarth
99. Arch Enemy
99. In Flames
11.10.2007 - 12:54
Ereinion'
Account deleted
I woted for DT they are not only the best Gothenburg Metal band in the world but also one of my all time favorite band.
12.10.2007 - 15:32
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Soilwork and Dark Tranquillity they are the most melodic and agressive of sweden
----
Stay Metal !!!
19.10.2007 - 19:45
Purge
Account deleted
Amon Amarth! :banger: The greatest band ever IMO!!! I also like Dark Tranquility but I can do without the rest... Dissection's 'Reinkaos' album is also excellent Gothenburg style melodeath even though purist Dissection fanatics may not appreciate the direction they took with it.
10.12.2007 - 21:25
RockeRoy

I don't understand why you guys like amon amarth and Datk tranquility so much i can't stand them!!! They just semi-ok bands in my opinion!! it's like they lack something! yes they lack the x-factor!
My vote goes to In Flames
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
11.12.2007 - 09:27
Marshmellow

Sonic Syndicate rules also...
dificult to decide, DT has a diferent atmosphere than the other bands...but i love Amon Amarth and old In Flames as well
Nightrage is also one of the bests, just due to their album Sweet Vengeance
11.12.2007 - 11:14
Sunioj

Written by Guest on 19.10.2007 at 19:45

Amon Amarth! :banger: The greatest band ever IMO!!! I also like Dark Tranquility but I can do without the rest... Dissection's 'Reinkaos' album is also excellent Gothenburg style melodeath even though purist Dissection fanatics may not appreciate the direction they took with it.

Ya know, after all the talk about how shitty the new Dissection is... its really not that bad in the end. The guitarwork is pretty impressive IMO, and some of the songs are a pleasant listen. Though I understand Dissection fans who will probably never listen to that album again.
11.12.2007 - 18:05
FrostbittenIlham
Account deleted
Written by Sunioj on 11.12.2007 at 11:14

Ya know, after all the talk about how shitty the new Dissection is... its really not that bad in the end. The guitarwork is pretty impressive IMO, and some of the songs are a pleasant listen. Though I understand Dissection fans who will probably never listen to that album again.

I agree. I prefer the two first albums, but I only listen to Reinkaos nowadays. It's more pleasant and easy to listen to, when taking a walk for instance.
12.12.2007 - 17:37
Philaenas
Account deleted
Amon Amarth all the way! Damn how these guys rock! And they also know how to put up a cool show I would say, after having seen them live. Their theme is superb and they have a lot of "ruggedness".
16.12.2007 - 14:42
IllNiñoSweden

In flames and Soilwork. Because they have best vocalist in their bands.
Arch Enemy for example have not a good vocalist, but very good guitars.
16.12.2007 - 14:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by IllNiñoSweden on 16.12.2007 at 14:42

In flames and Soilwork. Because they have best vocalist in their bands.
Arch Enemy for example have not a good vocalist, but very good guitars.

Angela are better vocalist how IF and Soilwork, but original AE was whit male vocals and thay was good in that period
----

apos;'
[image]