Album: Divinity Destroyed
Style: Progressive metal
Release date: 2003

01. Ascension
02. November
03. December
04. Transubstantiation
05. The Sun, The Moon, The Earth, And The Rain

Ok, it's time to sit down and finally review the new Ep by my good ol' friends from Divinity Destroyed, which 2001 Cd "Nocturnal Dawn" is also reviewed in Metal Storm, by yours truly of course, damn I'm productive.
First I would like to congratulate these guys, because they're fucking working bees! Last time I heard about Mark Ward (Vocals & Guitar) he wrote to me "thanks for the nice review blah blah", a few months later Wham! They released 2 Cds! In the same year! One full-length called "Eden In Ashes" and this self-titled Ep! That's more than the majority of bands release these days, and keep in mind that this band is unsigned, so all of this is self-released. Also a BIG boo-hoo to me, because I had these Cds for a looong time now, I just now, months later I took the time to review them, sorry Mark, I have a new girlfriend, so you know how is it.

Anyway, nobody is interested in my personal life, so let's proceed (if any is interested, please e-mail me and I'll fill you up with kinky details).
Last time I received a Divinity Destroyed Cd, it was a crappy Cd with no cover, no art, no lyrics, no nothing, nevertheless it was great. Now I get this exquisite DigiPak with great artwork and magnificent presentation, these guys won the lottery or what?

I put the Cd in, a nice piano intro begins "Ascension" I have understood this is a concept Ep of some sorts, something to do with the moon cycles or so, each song flows into each other, and the piano line of the first song marks the melody section for the rest of the songs.
First "real" song, "November" features once again Mark's typical vocals, it may sound gay, but I really missed it, the vocal delivery of this fella' goes from clear voices from great grunts, depends on the mood, and believe me, these guys know how to handle different moods in their songs, so they become repetitive.

"December" has a pretty useless rain sound effect for 1 minute as an intro, after that, the song kicks in, it begins really Doomy, with the back up growl vocals, then the speed sets up with the great keyboards of Emily Heerema, which I found buried too deep in the mix, you can hardly appreciate them. The song turns into "Transubstantiation" (whatever that means), this track has a great instrumental part, very progressive and again it turns into the last song, "The Sun, The Moon, The Earth and The Rain" a powerful epic ending with great moments and even some female back up vocals.

Divinity Destroyed have improved in every single way, especially visually and musically, two fundamental aspects. I sense big achievements for these band, they're going to be nexy big American Metal band, is a shame that they're still unsigned, but when they get a record contract, I want my credit in the "thanks to" section of their next Cd!

Written by Undercraft | 09.07.2004

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 13 users
07.04.2009 - 21:42
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
I just got this EP and...WOW! I can't believe I have missed this band. I've been looking for music like this for a while. Great review. I am looking for their other material now.
----
(space for rent)

Hits total: 2662 | This month: 6