04. The Snow In My Hand
05. The Crown Of Sympathy
06. Turn Loose The Swans
07. Black God
08. Your River [live] [1996 Japanese bonus]
09. Le Cerf Malade [2003 remastered limited edition bonus]
10. Transcending (Into The Exquisite) [2003 remastered limited edition bonus]
11. Your Shameful Heaven [live] [2003 remastered limited edition bonus]

If you wonder "What do many of today's doom/death metal bands have in common?" just listen to My Dying Bride's "Turn Loose the Swans" and you'll see. I wonder who could have imagined that a band like My Dying Bride back in 1993 with the very promising debut album "As the Flower Withers" (1992) would evolve so much in their second album becoming one of the most important pioneers of a new-born genre of doom/death metal. I guess not many. They took both the sound of the band, and of the whole genre, many steps further. My Dying Bride made it happen releasing one of the most classic albums not only for the 90s doom/death metal but also for the overall doom metal scene giving alternative meaning to the word "doom" in the metal scene.

My Dying Bride, in "Turn Loose the Swans," combines the slow doomy metal sound with a fragile dark wailing aesthetic which makes their sound unique and innovative for the time being, but also deeply influential for the years to come. The guitar riffing is slow and mournful. At times there are emotional outbursts with the guitars sounding more threatening, harmonizing in a perfect way with the rhythm section. Imposing at times, accompanying at others, the rhythm section creates unbreakable walls of sound. The production is also much better than on their debut album helping the band clearly show their great ideas.

Now, do you remember someone named Martin Powell playing the violin as a guest musician on "As the flower withers?" I guess so, because from now on he has become a member of My Dying Bride. Enriching either the intensely mournful or desperately nightmarish atmosphere of the band, he adds another special sense to their special sound. Also in "Turn Loose the Swans," the charismatic front-man of My Dying Bride, Aaron Stainthorpe, shows the grandeur of his voice. Unfolding his greatness, his clear, trembling, descriptive voice, almost-crying at times, semi-reciting at others, never leaves behind his intense, deep grunts, interpretive lyrics or bleeding poetry.

Every single composition, from the very first sound echoing until the last, every word being uttered by Aaron are special parts of a puzzle drowned in bleakness that is "Turn Loose the Swans." The dark mourning opus "Sear Me MCMXCIII" is one of the most classic My Dying Bride melodies featuring only Aaron's clear voice, the violin and the keyboards fragile wailing sounds leaving you bleeding. Musically, lyrically and emotionally astonishing, "Your River" caresses your shivering skin with thorns. From the dark elegiac hymn bearing the name "The Songless Bird" to the greatness of "The Snow in My Hand," ranging from serene moments to raging outbursts, expressing anger through pain, the album flows wonderfully through inspiration and emotion.

In the all-time classic My Dying Bride opus, "The Crown of Sympathy," the melodies are so characteristic that they scar your soul for all eternity. Moving slowly to the title-track "Turn Loose the Swans" is a slow doomy composition in which My Dying Bride unfolds once more their greatness with mourning guitar riffing, bleeding violin melodies and a dramatic interpretation by Aaron. On the wings of "Black God" and its fragile nocturnal melodies that surround you we are led to this doleful opus' bitter end?

"Turn Loose the Swans" is one of the most innovative releases of the 90's and definitely one of those albums consisting of the quintessence of doom/death metal. A must-have album for all the restless souls in oblivion?

Written on 09.06.2005 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 182 users
08.04.2009 - 12:19
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Good review but maybe not the best. this album is one of the best metal moments IMO. you cant compare it to any release cause its 100% original without a doubt. one of the most depressing metal albums ever, with such Poems! (cause I cant call them such as simple lyrics). I dont know why noone answered this review after 4 years! its so disgusting man! this is just one of the most masterpieces of at least doom metal ever!

nowadays ppl talk about that Aaron's voice is lame and he has to learn about singing!!! but I dont think that aaron changed his voice at this album! his voice is such those days and nothin is changed about his voice.
08.04.2009 - 19:27
Rating: 9
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Well I never wrote something here because I didn't know what to say. The album is good. But not THAT good. The debut kick it's ass easily imo.

But yeah, this album is still really good but a 10 is too much for my taste. something around 8,3 would be ok.

That's of course my opinion
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
05.06.2009 - 00:16
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Quote:
I wonder who could have imagined that a band like My Dying Bride back in 1993 with the very promising debut album "As the Flower Withers" (1992) would evolve so much in their second album becoming one of the most important pioneers of a new-born genre of doom/death metal.

It was really a great improovment from the debut. I love the track ''The Songless Birds'', beautiful piece of doom/death. Great work of the vocalist in this one also.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
10.09.2009 - 06:29
Rating: 10
AngelOfDisease

From the albums i've heard from them, this is definitely their best, and probably their best from all lol
I just love The Crown Of Sympathy... the best song from the album
great review!
12.09.2009 - 12:54
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by AngelOfDisease on 10.09.2009 at 06:29

for me its very hard to choose a song from this extremly masterpiece album! but im the black god !
12.09.2009 - 21:11
AngelOfDisease

Written by Guest on 12.09.2009 at 12:54

Written by AngelOfDisease on 10.09.2009 at 06:29

for me its very hard to choose a song from this extremly masterpiece album! but im the black god !

haha well yeah black god is also a masterpiece of a song but I tend to choose the longest songs as the best from the albums XD
13.09.2009 - 06:05
VPeter

Their best album, everything is balanced out well. I wish My Dying Bride would structure their new albums more like this.
13.09.2009 - 22:56
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by VPeter on 13.09.2009 at 06:05

I wish My Dying Bride would structure their new albums more like this.

impossible as heaven!
12.11.2009 - 20:12
SatyriconChick

Have always LOVED this album. I can't decide whether this one or The Angel and the Dark River is my favorite by MDB.
06.08.2010 - 02:43
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by SatyriconChick on 12.11.2009 at 20:12

Have always LOVED this album. I can't decide whether this one or The Angel and the Dark River is my favorite by MDB.

this is better for me, I think this album is one of the most unique albums of metal. And to be honest for me the most.
----
Kiss my ass if you dont like me, I dont care.
28.04.2016 - 19:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Only song I did not like here is Sear Me 1993 to soft, to spoken, not music, not good start day on Mp3 player
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 12517 | This month: 13