Metal Storm logo
Best Progressive Metal Band

Original post

Posted by Endoftherainbow, 13.07.2006 - 02:27
Seeing as Prog Metal is such a diverse genre I was wondering what peoples favorite band in this genre is and why. What album is your favorite, what do you think of this bands live preformance, and anything else you would like to add. My favorite Prog Metal band is Tool because all of their albums are amazing. My favorite is Aenima though because it contains most of my favorite songs by them like Hooker With a Penis. Although I haven't seen Tool live yet I would say it looks like they have a sick live show with their lights and everything else that's going on. Other favorites of mine include Opeth, Symphony X, Ayreon, Porcupine Tree, Devin Townsend, Evergrey, Shadows Gallery, Star One, Circus Maximus, Rush, and Dream Theater.
21.05.2011 - 06:22
GroundZero
Queensrÿche, Ayreon and Dream Theater.

In my personal opinion Rush is a Progressive Rock band, Rush is no metal.
23.05.2011 - 07:25
Sammol
Opeth and Planet X
23.05.2011 - 16:55
Gojira imo, Some of what they do is classic balls to the walls metal, but alot of their stuff has an experimental hit to it, which I usually don't like, but I'm diggin it like mad with Gojira.
17.02.2012 - 03:09
Sentinel65
Opeth is my favorite, so many varying styles, they never get old for me. Mastodon is up there also for me.
17.02.2012 - 13:18
For old times sake I am going to say Opeth simply because not only did they start me off on my extreme metal obsession with Orchid but each new record the put out sounds fresh and if not radically different then different enough that they never get old.

But currently I am championing Cormorant. Metezoa is fucking fantastic and their newest LP Dwellings is even better. I know everyone seems to be head over heels for Mastodon but for me Cormorant is the most interesting American prog metal act around.
07.09.2012 - 09:20
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
For me, Pain of Salvation is one of the most ambitious and diverse bands of the entire genre. Musically, they are able to go from heavy and brooding (Ashes), to soft and delicate (Second Love), to whacky and all-over-the-place (Stress). The band is also able to tackle with hot topics such as God and the existence of mankind (BE), create concepts for their live albums (12:5), and go way outside of their usual boundaries to create something new and unique from anything else in their catalogue (Road Salt Duo). While the Road Salt albums are what I feel to be the band's weakest releases (I still enjoy them nevertheless), it just goes to show that this band is not afraid to try new things, take the unexpected route in their musical exploration (without ending up like Morbid Angel of course), and make great music in the process.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
08.09.2012 - 01:19
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Written by Yasmine on 20.05.2011 at 16:32

Opeth doesn't quite have the technical "displays" most prog bands have....sorta lacking.

I personally don't think the technical "displays" are really all that necessary in demonstrating to a listener a band's status as a progressive metal artist. I believe there are other characteristics and traits that classify a band as such, including concept albums, musical diversity, atmosphere, songs that go over the ten minute mark, and so forth. Opeth may not "show off" as much as Dream Theater per se, but they are still a technical band nevertheless. Hell, I remember this one little moment in the middle of White Cluster from Still Life (5:35-7:09), where the band was kind of "showing off" a bit, and it was cool to hear. That's just my opinion anyway. I understand the post is a year old btw. lol
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
10.09.2012 - 23:38
Fritillaria
Account deleted
I say Opeth before Heritage and Nevermore
11.09.2012 - 15:45
helofloki
Written by CobiWan1993 on 07.09.2012 at 09:20

For me, Pain of Salvation is one of the most ambitious and diverse bands of the entire genre. (et cetera)

Yea agreed. My favorite band of all time, even if my obsession has cooled off a bit. Still, I was obsessed for about a decade. What isn't there to say about this band? They do everything and they are bold. Rapcore disco progmetal album? Why not? Their entire catalogue is full of brilliant song writing, catchy unique guitar tone and the greatest prog vocalist of all time and it's not even close. All solos are perfect, never super fancy, always enhancing the song. They are ambitious and ever pushing the boundaries. Honestly, Road Salt II was the first album I straight up balked at. I can't get into it. Every single one of their other albums I was somewhere between very happy and blown away when they came out.

I don't know how many more genius songs are in Danny g's head, but even with the newly reformed band I can't help but keep an eye on what's been going on. Yeah, so, best prog metal band? Piece of cake, Pain Of Salvation.
13.09.2012 - 16:17
Lit.
Account deleted
Crimson Glory.
13.09.2012 - 18:47
Evil Chip
I'd say for me it's between Porcupine tree, Riverside and (I hate to say this) Opeth (all the pre-watershed period).
16.09.2012 - 20:10
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I will never be able to decide
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
16.09.2012 - 20:57
Fredd
Account deleted
It's a fucking tough call. If we're speaking strict prog, I'd pick Dream Theater or Opeth. Otherwise I'd pick Alchemist or Nevermore.
17.09.2012 - 06:31
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by Guest on 13.09.2012 at 16:17

Crimson Glory.

Nice choice, if I want some old school heavy/prog metal I go for them or Savatage.
29.09.2012 - 03:50
Angry Chair
Opeth, without a doubt.
----
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot
29.09.2012 - 04:12
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Protest The Hero would be my choice.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
14.11.2014 - 23:01
_deepblack
1.Tool
2.Opeth
3.Devin Townsend
15.11.2014 - 08:10
Ganondox
Tool, very unique band with an amazing singer and lyrics.
22.01.2015 - 06:30
Amy
Written by CobiWan1993 on 07.09.2012 at 09:20

For me, Pain of Salvation is one of the most ambitious and diverse bands of the entire genre. Musically, they are able to go from heavy and brooding (Ashes), to soft and delicate (Second Love), to whacky and all-over-the-place (Stress). The band is also able to tackle with hot topics such as God and the existence of mankind (BE), create concepts for their live albums (12:5), and go way outside of their usual boundaries to create something new and unique from anything else in their catalogue (Road Salt Duo). While the Road Salt albums are what I feel to be the band's weakest releases (I still enjoy them nevertheless), it just goes to show that this band is not afraid to try new things, take the unexpected route in their musical exploration (without ending up like Morbid Angel of course), and make great music in the process.

So true I absolutely can't agree more.
----
\m/
29.01.2015 - 21:38
Nucky
Dream Theater,Opeth and Symphony X
16.02.2015 - 15:29
raveneffect
Tool, not even close. Everything they release is pure gold at every aspect. With the risk of sounding a little bit pretentious, I would say that, in order to fully apreciate the experience you have tov actually own the physical copies and the amazing art that completes the musical aspect.
23.03.2015 - 23:56
ADIresiduos
Symphony X, Queensryche (w/ Geoff Tate of course). Both have/had awesome singers and great music. Guitar shredder in Symphony X is just mind-blowing!
24.05.2015 - 21:51
sam1oq
Opeth and Dream Theater. For the rest I only have about one album per band.
30.06.2015 - 15:05
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Probably Ayreon though I really dislike what is often regarded as the strongest Ayreon prog album "The Human Equation". I suppose I like the sci fi stuff a lot more, reminds me of Eloy and other spacey type bands . I would say Ayreon because I could sit and listen to the discography, something I can't do with a band like Dream Theater.
30.06.2015 - 23:05
ADIresiduos
I would say: Symphony X (Paradise Lost), Queensryche (Operation Mindcrime), Rush (Moving Pictures).
Symphony X are just awesome musicians and they have very good songs, sometimes intricate, technical, but catchy and accesible.
Queensryche I've been listening to since the 80's, so, no need to explain; although I like the recordings with Geoff Tate better than with the new singer.
Rush, they're living legends and makers of very good prog songs. After all, they were one of the creators of the genre.