Metal Storm logo
Best Progressive Metal Band

Original post

Posted by Endoftherainbow, 13.07.2006 - 02:27
Seeing as Prog Metal is such a diverse genre I was wondering what peoples favorite band in this genre is and why. What album is your favorite, what do you think of this bands live preformance, and anything else you would like to add. My favorite Prog Metal band is Tool because all of their albums are amazing. My favorite is Aenima though because it contains most of my favorite songs by them like Hooker With a Penis. Although I haven't seen Tool live yet I would say it looks like they have a sick live show with their lights and everything else that's going on. Other favorites of mine include Opeth, Symphony X, Ayreon, Porcupine Tree, Devin Townsend, Evergrey, Shadows Gallery, Star One, Circus Maximus, Rush, and Dream Theater.
29.01.2008 - 23:10
selken
Irreligious
Written by Bad English on 29.01.2008 at 23:06

Written by selken on 29.01.2008 at 23:02

Written by Bad English on 29.01.2008 at 22:57

Therion I dont know but BG last album are prog elements, a lot of tham,(i hatev that crappy album) and Rhapsody are lil prp elements too but Opeth are to extreme for that site

So what?? (again ) if they do exhibit prog elements they MUST have them, that's also valid for borknagar, death, and others, they are prog!!! I hate taht site. tyeh R gay!!!

But Dillinger Plan isnt prog!!! it was al albout that

all is relative, if I say they ar prog, they are prog
----
30.01.2008 - 18:52
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by selken on 29.01.2008 at 22:56

Written by Guest on 29.01.2008 at 22:46

Written by Bad English on 29.01.2008 at 22:30

Written by IllNiñoSweden on 29.01.2008 at 22:18

OK but they are progressive metal bands.

Yes thay are

No thay're not

Prog metal rules:
Quote:
Insist that your definition of prog metal is sacred and that the only progressive bands are the one you deem to be so. Accuse anyone who disagrees with you regarding the above of lacking musical intelligence and not being a true prog fan.

It seems that three of you are really true prog fans

I'm not one of those progressive metal fans anymore but I used to be and especially on this website way before your time...anyway, now that I think about it, said bands are progressive because they have odd time signatures, have jazz fusion elements and have complex structures that other bands within the metal genre would not be able to accomplish
01.02.2008 - 18:41
riffmeister
Account deleted
Queensryche. progressive doesn't always mean you have to play or sound like Dream Theater...Phsychotic Waltz is a great band as well...
20.04.2008 - 18:48
ArtiA
Robin Goodfellow
Porcupine Tree : the best
----
"The WAY" is perfect and complete like boundless space nothing redundant but because the mind continues to make distinction.
21.04.2008 - 05:20
Metal_Militia

1. Dream Theater
2. Opeth
3. Riverside
4. Savatage
5. Fates Warning
6. Indukti
7. Pain Of Salvation
8. Dark Suns
9. Evergrey
10. Royal Hunt

//Speaking of Opeth, did you guys hear a couple of their new songs off Watershed got leaked yesterday?? I got 2 of em and they KICK ASS Especially The Lotus Eater. PM me if you want me to send them to ya//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

23.04.2008 - 23:09
Nazgal
Account deleted
Porcupine Tree, Opeth and Riverside are probably my favorite Progressive Metal bands, even though Porcupine Tree isn't completely Progressive Metal. Riverside has a great variety of beautiful slow parts and harder parts, in their songs.
24.04.2008 - 22:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Indukti what band are that?
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.04.2008 - 01:28
addiction

well i guess i would name the ones everybody did...but i think my top 3 would be opeth, pain of salvation and porcupine tree. obviously dream theater should never be forgotten when it comes to this...
----
alive in the superunknown
25.04.2008 - 08:51
Hamird
Lieutenant
opeth is most influential band in progressive metal, i think other bands should fight for 2econd place..
25.04.2008 - 09:23
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Symphony X ! Romeo is great, and big, and talentous!
21.05.2008 - 23:04
vatro
Account deleted
I can't decide Symphony x or Dream Theater
22.05.2008 - 04:25
Ferret
Account deleted
Tool and Dream Theater for me.
23.05.2008 - 09:28
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
Written by Guest on 30.01.2008 at 18:52

Written by selken on 29.01.2008 at 22:56

Written by Guest on 29.01.2008 at 22:46

Written by Bad English on 29.01.2008 at 22:30

Written by IllNiñoSweden on 29.01.2008 at 22:18

OK but they are progressive metal bands.

Yes thay are

No thay're not

Prog metal rules:
Quote:
Insist that your definition of prog metal is sacred and that the only progressive bands are the one you deem to be so. Accuse anyone who disagrees with you regarding the above of lacking musical intelligence and not being a true prog fan.

It seems that three of you are really true prog fans

I'm not one of those progressive metal fans anymore but I used to be ...

same here
27.06.2008 - 09:15
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Guest on 22.05.2008 at 04:25

Tool and Dream Theater for me.

Tool is not progressive metal. Their style of playing is Alternative.
28.06.2008 - 01:36
Shinigamy
Account deleted
1. Time Requiem
2. Ring of Fire
3. Warmen
4. Dream Theater
5. Symphony X

That is my best list, becouse of keyboards, in first one keyboarder is Richard Andersen a real genie in prog rock/metal, second i Vitajl Kuprij rock/metal and third my favorite keyboards janne Wirman (warman)
13.08.2008 - 03:08
Mosquiller

Anyone mention "Ocean Machine" yet?!
...one of the Devin Townsend's projects.

also, "Spiral Architect" is recommended to TECHNICAL prog fans.

Written by Hamird on 27.06.2008 at 09:15

They play alternative progressive metal.
----
Written by Konrad on 10.12.2009 at 22:41

Hey, if you put your mind to something, you can accomplish it...just don't give up.
13.08.2008 - 07:34
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Mosquiller on 13.08.2008 at 03:08

Ah, What's that?? Alternative Progressive metal..? Created by who?
Musically one of the basis of progressive music is the key-boards. which is not seen in Tool..
I've listened to all their works, and i've seen no progressive elements in the band. Long songs don't mean that they are progressive.
They are Alternative with some Avant-garde in addition..
15.08.2008 - 01:00
Mosquiller

Written by Hamird on 13.08.2008 at 07:34

Written by Mosquiller on 13.08.2008 at 03:08

Ah, What's that?? Alternative Progressive metal..? Created by who?
Musically one of the basis of progressive music is the key-boards. which is not seen in Tool..
I've listened to all their works, and i've seen no progressive elements in the band. Long songs don't mean that they are progressive.
They are Alternative with some Avant-garde in addition..

Tool, specially their earlier works, were influenced by Nirvana.
they have managed to maintain their earlier sound throughout their musical career while adding the prog elements. keyboard is not a MUST. specially while they are of the alternative genre.
(Death - The Sound Of Perseverance, prog death without using keyboard. Iron Maiden - A Matter Of Life And Death, prog NWOBHM, where is the fuckin keyboad?? Cynic, technical progressive death/jazz influneced, they use keyboard)

I don't care about Tool so I am not going to bother defending them anymore!
----
Written by Konrad on 10.12.2009 at 22:41

Hey, if you put your mind to something, you can accomplish it...just don't give up.
15.08.2008 - 01:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Well, Tool ARE actually alternative progressive metal. A band DOES NOT need keyboards at all to be progressive. It has to do with the song structures.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.08.2008 - 03:19
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.08.2008 at 01:06

Well, Tool ARE actually alternative progressive metal. A band DOES NOT need keyboards at all to be progressive. It has to do with the song structures.

Man, I hate it when people say that Progressive Metal is Metal with keyboards. Look at Queensryche, no keyboards there, yet they were pne of the first Progressive Metal bands!
----
(space for rent)
17.08.2008 - 09:28
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Yeah...there are a lot of metal bands that use keyboards and aren't progressive...there are so many progressive metal bands over the years (Anacrusis, The Beyond, Queensryche, Dead Soul Tribe, Freak Kitchen, etc...) that do not use keyboards...

And there is no best progressive metal band...that is outrageous! Most of them are so damn unique in their own way that it is hard to pinpoint a certain continuity on any of them...they all take the term "progressive" and make it their own in their own musical styling
21.10.2008 - 17:24
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Dream theater and Purcupine tree can't deceide love them both:maniac:
22.10.2008 - 23:34
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Porcupine, with an "o"
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
23.10.2008 - 11:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 17.08.2008 at 09:28

(Anacrusis, The Beyond, Queensryche, that do not use keyboards...

Anacrusis awesoem thrash band, realy awesome, I love it and anjoy ewery somg from band, shame thay exist enymore

Alos Queensryche ''I dont belive in love , i never was I never will, she never was real'' thats why i love that band so much
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.10.2008 - 08:21
RockeRoy

1. Textures
2. Opeth
3. Ayreon
4. Dream Theater
5. Pink floyd
6. Tool
7. Death
8. Meshuggah
9. Devin Townsend
10. Cynic
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
01.12.2008 - 07:51
Lehctim

Pagan's Mind! I didnt look through all the posts, but I cant believe no one mentioned them yet that I saw. Theyre on a level of their own. Communic is the only prog band that comes close, for me.
01.12.2008 - 22:32
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Very hard to pick one band. Progressive is one of my favourite metal genres... Maybe Opeth, Ayreon, Dream Theater, Queensryche, Riverside... so many! lol
Lately I've been listening to Communic a lot. Damn good band.. so addictive.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
04.04.2009 - 16:05
BuzzPhil

Definitively Dream Theater. It is my favorite Progressive Metal band and by far! Followed by Mastodon...
06.04.2009 - 06:40
DarkMistress

I´d keep with tool, but it´s still Pain of Salvation, i think it´s not just about the virtuous solos but also lyrics and the performance
----
Wait in fire
06.04.2009 - 11:12
Eeric
Account deleted
1. Pagan's Mind
2. Dream Theater