Metal Storm logo
Best Progressive Metal Band

Original post

Posted by Endoftherainbow, 13.07.2006 - 02:27
Seeing as Prog Metal is such a diverse genre I was wondering what peoples favorite band in this genre is and why. What album is your favorite, what do you think of this bands live preformance, and anything else you would like to add. My favorite Prog Metal band is Tool because all of their albums are amazing. My favorite is Aenima though because it contains most of my favorite songs by them like Hooker With a Penis. Although I haven't seen Tool live yet I would say it looks like they have a sick live show with their lights and everything else that's going on. Other favorites of mine include Opeth, Symphony X, Ayreon, Porcupine Tree, Devin Townsend, Evergrey, Shadows Gallery, Star One, Circus Maximus, Rush, and Dream Theater.
07.07.2009 - 17:59
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
In no order my favoriites:

Opeth
Riverside
Porcupine Tree
Fates Warning
Tool
----
rekt
07.07.2009 - 19:39
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 24.04.2008 at 22:32

Indukti what band are that?

Indukti is a band from Poland - Mariusz Duda of Riverside was guest vocals on it - pretty experimental sound if you ask me, they use violin and harp. Amazing band, listeners of progressive rock/metal should definitely check them out. They are to release their second album soon.

Their debut album - 2005 - S.U.S.A.R.

My favourite prog-metal bands (in no particular order)

Threshold
Riverside
Fates Warning
Ark
Pain of Salvation
Sieges Even
Dream Theater
Shadow Gallery
Conception
Dreamscape
Psychotic Waltz/DeadSoul Tribe
Redemption

I don't classify Porcupine Tree as prog-metal (at least not based on their last two albums which have metal elements IMO), so I haven't forgotten about them.

I'll be back if I forgot anything else (which I'm sure i did). That's all for now.
08.07.2009 - 02:49
Hamird
Lieutenant
Has anyone realized that how many bands are releasing (going to release) albums this year. I personally say it's a good year for Progressive Metal fans.. Still they're big names, should see whether new albums are as big as their band or not?
Anyway this year Devin Townsend, Dream Theater, Riverside are some those big bands that have released their albums so far.. And Porcupine Tree, Pain of Salvation and three other Devin Townsend albums are in the way.. And of course the most important to me is Orphaned Land which is coming with their new album after five years.
08.07.2009 - 06:16
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Hamird on 08.07.2009 at 02:49

Has anyone realized that how many bands are releasing (going to release) albums this year. I personally say it's a good year for Progressive Metal fans.. Still they're big names, should see whether new albums are as big as their band or not?
Anyway this year Devin Townsend, Dream Theater, Riverside are some those big bands that have released their albums so far.. And Porcupine Tree, Pain of Salvation and three other Devin Townsend albums are in the way.. And of course the most important to me is Orphaned Land which is coming with their new album after five years.

One more to watch for : Redemption
----
rekt
05.11.2009 - 21:06
cold103

My favorites:

Pain of Salvation
Ayreon
The 3rd and the Mortal

If you're not familiar with The 3rd and the Mortal, check out their album "Painting on Glass". It's a fantastic album!
06.11.2009 - 00:46
ToMegaTherion

Opeth will always be a favorite here
06.11.2009 - 02:50
Culty

Spheric Universe Experience makes some pretty great stuff like their album Mental Torments.
But my favorite would probably have to be either PoS or Fate's Warning.
----
Gfnttlr
06.11.2009 - 09:33
Angelic Storm
Melodious
My faves are Dream Theater, Symphony X, Fates Warning, Shadow Gallery, and Anubis Gate.
07.11.2009 - 10:17
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
THE best band is Suspyre....been a fan of prog metal for quite some time but these guys completely blew me away. If some of you havent heard of them, check out their latest album "When Time Fades" its absolutely ridiculously good. Similar to Symphony X but sort of makes them sound like generic powermetal lol Never been a fan of Dream Theatre, they're very boring to me I think the vocalist is the culprit he puts me to sleep.

So yeah, apart from them I feel the best ones around are Seventh Wonder, Circus Maximus, Symphony X, Opeth, Meshuggah and Mirrorthrone (Not sure about this entry because its more Avantgarde, yet very progressive).
07.11.2009 - 10:21
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Oh yeah, I can't believe I forgot about Vanden Plas! lol They are a great band!
08.11.2009 - 21:06
jollygreen

Tool-Aenima (is my favorite too)
They put on awesome shows but the security at their shows are crazy! Pretty much don't wear anything sharp and pointy or bring water for that matter I don't know if it was because I was in Baltimore or what but they take everything except your clothes. Others...
Dream Theater/OSI
Pineapple Thief
Porcupine Tree
Sevendust
10.11.2009 - 00:10
nana.MD
Star-Queen
...uhm for me:

Dream Theater
Evergrey
Spastic Ink
Gordian Knot
Opeth
Tool
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
12.11.2009 - 00:55
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Well mine are Opeth, Kathaarsys and maybe Porcupine Tree. I like lots of prog bands but those are my all-time favorites.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
12.11.2009 - 08:01
IronBlackZepp

Dream Theater and Symphony x. I cant seem to get into any other prog metal bands, well I like albums or songs by other prog metal bands but not the bands whole collections. For Example I like Operation mindcrime and Empire by Queensryche, but none of their later prog stuff(and their early albums dont count because they are not really prog). But I like almost everything by DT and SX.

I tried to get into Opeth but the vocals are not really my stile. Even the clean vocals are not too good in my opinion, but not bad either. However I do like the bands music, I just cant enjoy it with those growls. Its kinda weird because I enjoy some extreme power metal songs, even though they tend to have growles or harsh vocals. Its really too bad, because Opeth are not a band too be missed as far as the music goes, but I start listening to a song by them and I start to enjoy it, but then the growling starts and I have to wait till he stops or sings in his clean voice to start liking it again.
12.11.2009 - 18:33
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Dream Theater will always be my favorite. Since Im not that much into the genre. And ''Metropolis Pt. 2'' simply amuse me like no other album.

Only progressive metal album I truly buy... and it was worth..
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
26.04.2011 - 20:57
Rigantona

Opeth - Blackwater Park

This album is the real perfection of progressive metal as far as I'm concerned. Solitude, romance, panic, love, revelation, bliss, vengeance, mortification, passion... all of this makes me really love this masterpiece of music/poetry/genius.
----
"All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players."
William Shakespeare
27.04.2011 - 00:39
Yasmine

When Opeth and Tool are progressive............

Crimson Glory, Symphony X, and I love Misanthrope.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
27.04.2011 - 18:34
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Yasmine on 27.04.2011 at 00:39

So you're saying they are not progressive?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
27.04.2011 - 19:51
Yasmine

Written by BloodTears on 27.04.2011 at 18:34

Written by Yasmine on 27.04.2011 at 00:39

So you're saying they are not progressive?

If we're calling progressive a genre Opeth might be, but I think people put Tool here because they "sound different", not because they're actually progressive. I think if we define the genre Tool might get left out.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
27.04.2011 - 20:18
jazar94

Opeth is melodic death metal. Conflict resolved, no?
28.04.2011 - 00:26
Fat & Sassy!

I think Pain of Salvation, Orphaned Land and Devin Townsend are kings of the genre right now. They are and have been making music that I think is effectively pushing the genre forward. Dream Theater? They just need to get their shit together and release something that doesn't sound like they're trying so hard to be "heavy". >_>
29.04.2011 - 01:04
Luneth
Account deleted
Pagan's Mind; Symphony X; Adagio...and Opeth.
30.04.2011 - 09:26
whatsacow

Maudlin of the Well. It's terrible that this band goes so unnoticed. They are one of the most creative and beautiful bands I have ever heard. Mixing genres such as jazz, metal, Indie, folk, classical and even pop into their abums, sometimes even crossing genres in the same song. However, it doesn't seem like they do this just to be progressive. Their albums flow. They fit. And It works beautifully.
Other than that, I'd say: Orphaned Land, Tool, Opeth, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Unexpect, Cynic, Atheist and Planet X.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
01.05.2011 - 01:51
Fat & Sassy!

Written by whatsacow on 30.04.2011 at 09:26

Maudlin of the Well. It's terrible that this band goes so unnoticed. They are one of the most creative and beautiful bands I have ever heard. Mixing genres such as jazz, metal, Indie, folk, classical and even pop into their abums, sometimes even crossing genres in the same song. However, it doesn't seem like they do this just to be progressive. Their albums flow. They fit. And It works beautifully.
Other than that, I'd say: Orphaned Land, Tool, Opeth, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Unexpect, Cynic, Atheist and Planet X.

I'll have to check this band out. They sound pretty awesome. And I noticed you mentioned DSO and Unexpect, "progressive" and "avant-garde" are such ambiguous labels that I usually group them together too. And if we're doing that, then I'll just go ahead and throw Akphaezya in while I'm at it. Top-notch French band. =3
01.05.2011 - 03:55
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust

If you look at my favorite bands... you can tell that I agree with you.

nothing comes close to maudlin of the Well, I am amazed every time I listen to their music. Very surreal... astral music.
01.05.2011 - 04:22
Wyrd

In no order, these are my top prog bands.

Devin Townsend Band/Project
Dark Empire
Dream Theater
Pagans Mind
Into Eternity
James LaBrie
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
01.05.2011 - 04:34
whatsacow

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 01.05.2011 at 01:51

I'll have to check this band out. They sound pretty awesome. And I noticed you mentioned DSO and Unexpect, "progressive" and "avant-garde" are such ambiguous labels that I usually group them together too. And if we're doing that, then I'll just go ahead and throw Akphaezya in while I'm at it. Top-notch French band. =3

Same. Avant garde might as well be prog, it's just a more extreme version of it. Often, though, I find bands are considered avant-garde simply because they have no other label.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
01.05.2011 - 04:39
whatsacow

Written by Introspekrieg on 01.05.2011 at 03:55

If you look at my favorite bands... you can tell that I agree with you.

nothing comes close to maudlin of the Well, I am amazed every time I listen to their music. Very surreal... astral music.

I looked at your favourites list and jizzed. And realised I forgot Animals as Leaders in my favourite prog list lol.
----
20.05.2011 - 16:03
Razorback

Opeth,their skills are just amazing.
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
20.05.2011 - 16:32
Yasmine

Opeth doesn't quite have the technical "displays" most prog bands have....sorta lacking.
----