Metal Storm logo
Quotes gone wrong

‹‹ Back to Bugs
13.07.2006 - 03:12
Stigmatized
I'll get a notification saying I've been quoted, so I'll go to the page to respond. When I get there, either I've been quoted with no response, or they've responded but their quote is in the middle of the post. A couple of examples are on the following pages-

http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=1653

http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=38

You'll see me posting about the quote being messed up.
13.07.2006 - 09:52
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Excuse me but i don't see what's wrong there, you've been quoted so the system sent you a notification.They "have responded but their quote features in the middle" or "you have been quoted with no response" are not bugs.Maybe they have quoted you after writing the message so their quote features in the middle...
13.07.2006 - 10:18
Ivan
Retired Admin
This is not a bug - some people just mess up the quotes when there's a lot of them. If some quotes are unclosed, they're closed automatically at the end of the post, hence the post itself appears inside them.
13.07.2006 - 16:23
Stigmatized
@Ivan-Ok thanks man!

@Siegreicher-You have no idea what the hell you're talking about.
14.07.2006 - 00:24
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
you have to make sure you get the right amount of quote and unquote signs and in the right places and without spelling errors.

also, though its not usually a problem, avoid quoting posts that contain quotes. it looks rubbish, its pointless and usually leads to a quote command being missed out somehwere and screwing up the whole post
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
14.07.2006 - 11:34
wrathchild

Also - I did that sometimes though I'm not sure it really works - I reply to some posts by clicking the "Quote" button but I completely remove the actual quote from my post. The quote was not needed but the sending of a notification was somehow more important. That's why some people may be notified without being able to see any quote.

I'll try to avoid that by now... It's pointless.
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
14.07.2006 - 12:51
Ivan
Retired Admin
Written by wrathchild on 14.07.2006 at 11:34

Also - I did that sometimes though I'm not sure it really works - I reply to some posts by clicking the "Quote" button but I completely remove the actual quote from my post. The quote was not needed but the sending of a notification was somehow more important. That's why some people may be notified without being able to see any quote.

I'll try to avoid that by now... It's pointless.

I think the notification is not sent if you remove the quote itself... But I can be wrong.
14.07.2006 - 13:34
wrathchild

Well, tell me if you recieved a notification for this new post of mine
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
14.07.2006 - 14:15
Ivan
Retired Admin
Written by wrathchild on 14.07.2006 at 13:34

Well, tell me if you recieved a notification for this new post of mine

I didn't
14.07.2006 - 23:48
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Written by Stigmatized on 13.07.2006 at 16:23

@Siegreicher-You have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

Yes, i do...anyway,this is not a reason to get angry.
24.07.2006 - 00:45
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Something weird happened to me today. I received a notification of someone quoting me, I clicked the link provided and it took me, supposedly, to the page. What went wrong was that it was not the page were I was quoted, I mean, it said that it was the last page of the thread but in reality it was not because I just made a post in that thread and it did not appear, not even the posts of the latest Metalstormers that got to post. Still the number of the page was the last one.

Because of this weird stuff, I went to the forum, got inside the thread and there was the quote in the last page. It seems that the notification had a wrong link and the page that was linked had a wrong page number. I am clueless of how this could have happened.
----
Christless
25.07.2006 - 21:05
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Darth Satanious on 24.07.2006 at 00:45

Something weird happened to me today. I received a notification of someone quoting me, I clicked the link provided and it took me, supposedly, to the page. What went wrong was that it was not the page were I was quoted, I mean, it said that it was the last page of the thread but in reality it was not because I just made a post in that thread and it did not appear, not even the posts of the latest Metalstormers that got to post. Still the number of the page was the last one.

Because of this weird stuff, I went to the forum, got inside the thread and there was the quote in the last page. It seems that the notification had a wrong link and the page that was linked had a wrong page number. I am clueless of how this could have happened.

The same thing happened to me, quite many times. I went on the last page, but there was nothing. I thought it was a mistake at the first time, but after a while I cheked back, and the last page that I saw earlier was the one before the last, and I found the post wich qouted me. I don't know any permanent solution, though, just 'step out and step in again'
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
02.09.2006 - 07:34
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Around 10 min. ago, I was watching a thread where I posted, someone quoted me and I didn't recieve th notification, it's the first time it happens to me
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
12.03.2007 - 15:48
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i've got quoted a few times, but didn't receive the notification. can some moddie tell me why?
12.03.2007 - 19:55
wrathchild

Written by Valentin B on 12.03.2007 at 15:48

i've got quoted a few times, but didn't receive the notification. can some moddie tell me why?

Perhaps the one who quoted you edited his/her post and removed the quote before you could see it.
----

Txus, Mägo De Oz
13.03.2007 - 12:38
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
What if someone quotes, and later deletes the quote? Maybe the person who is quoted gets a notification, but he might see no response... this is just my guess, but I think something like this happened to me once.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
14.11.2008 - 13:06
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Uhhh Ivan...something related to this I noticed is bizarre. I was looking through my posts (directly from my profile), and when I went to go edit a small grammatical error it came out all messed up, its hard to explain, if you want to see what I mean go to the "500" thread in "General Website Discussion".
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
14.11.2008 - 15:27
Ivan
Retired Admin
Written by Doc G. on 14.11.2008 at 13:06

Uhhh Ivan...something related to this I noticed is bizarre. I was looking through my posts (directly from my profile), and when I went to go edit a small grammatical error it came out all messed up, its hard to explain, if you want to see what I mean go to the "500" thread in "General Website Discussion".

OK, problem found and fixed.
10.12.2008 - 05:38
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Yeah i got quoted in the Tankard video release news and i hadnt even commented on it...
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
10.12.2008 - 14:36
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Written by LeChron James on 10.12.2008 at 05:38

Yeah i got quoted in the Tankard video release news and i hadnt even commented on it...

me too, these days i'm recieving several wrong notifications in News where i haden't commented on...
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
10.12.2008 - 15:50
FOOCK Nam

Same as me, got notification from Metallica new video but when went there, no any quote for me. But well, this is not such a big problem.
10.12.2008 - 16:38
GT
Coffee!!
It's not a bug guys...you don't get a notification because you were quoted, but because the news item is related to one of your favourite bands listed in your profiles. You can turn it of in your settings
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
10.12.2008 - 17:07
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Stupid me. I should've guessed!
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face