3 users:
Band: Lithica
Album: Invokation Of Satan Within
Style: Symphonic black metal
Release date: December 2008

01. Invokation Of Satan Within
02. Retaliation On Heaven
03. With Prosperity And All Power
04. Grominsloft (Essence Of The Devil's Path)
05. Vigor Of The Satanic Mantra
06. Clairvoyance Of The Glorious Ruin
07. Beyond Humanity
08. Unrestrained Darkness
09. The Fires Of Purity

Lets venture deep into the dark forest, put some corpsepaint on, the corpsepaint being black and white face paint purchased from the Early Learning Centre, and prance around pretending we are grim and evil black metal fiends. Sounds like a great idea in theory right, but you wouldn't actually do it. Canada's Lithica on the other hand would, and have done that.

"Invokation Of Satan Within" is the band's first full-length release, and with respect to the band have pushed it out without any label support, but it is this lack of label and proper production that is the downfall of the album. This is as cliché as black metal gets, comically enough a scream of "Satan!" is the first vocal to be heard on the album.

The songs aren't bad at all, most have been written really quite nicely and are enjoyable to hear, but it is the production of the album that is neither clean or the classic raw black metal sound that ruins and magic this album could have evoked. The whole mix sounds thin, there is no power behind the vocals, no rawness behind the guitar, the bass sits contently unaware in the middle, but the drums are the worst. The band do cite a real human drummer in the booklet, but especially as the drums kick off the first song of the album "Retaliation On Heaven" they sound strikingly and suspiciously similar to a drum machine or computer, and do so for the duration of the album. If this entity called "Thoth" is human, and this is the drumming of a real, mortal human being, he has my respect and the production of the album severely takes away from his performance, but alas, my Frosty sense doth tingle and suspects wizardry. The keyboards used to create the organ sounds of songs like "Grominsloft (Essence Of The Devil's Path)" also sound thin and artificial.

Lithica as far as can be told are taking this seriously, but unfortunately the air of the album is as menacing and grim as Cradle Of Filth's weaker moments. The band do have the right state of mind, they have the Satanic dedication of Gorgoroth, but the album's unprofessional production takes away from the genuineness and authenticity of the black metal. Unfortunate but true, the band need support from a label and from there may flourish into a believable black metal band. They have the potential, they just need the opportunity.

Written on 09.04.2009 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 54 users
10.04.2009 - 10:08
tulkas
el parcero
Saw this was a BM band, so i thought i'd check it out, but read this review and i'm having second thoughts. if not having proper production makes it weak i'd rather wait for another album when hopefully they'll have a label, and then check them out. as you say, they are good, but production ruins it, so i still want to check them out, but i don't want my first impression of the band be a negative one
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
10.04.2009 - 14:43
HardSide

Now thats a nice cover.
10.04.2009 - 18:07
Rupert

I see what you mean about the drumming, but I think he's just using way too many triggers. Funny review by the way.
11.04.2009 - 11:15
Rating: 7
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by tulkas on 10.04.2009 at 10:08

Saw this was a BM band, so i thought i'd check it out, but read this review and i'm having second thoughts. if not having proper production makes it weak i'd rather wait for another album when hopefully they'll have a label, and then check them out. as you say, they are good, but production ruins it, so i still want to check them out, but i don't want my first impression of the band be a negative one

First off, about the review, LOL. I enjoyed it, though it is hard for me to be 100% unbiased with it considering a few close friends of mine are in the band.

Now in response to Tulkas (and I guess the end part of the review), yeah opportunity would be nice, but the way things roll in this town, I doubt they're going to get much more promotion. As solid as they are for a small-time local band, very few bands here get ahead without a gimmick, being uber-technical or trying to be Finntroll or Moonsorrow. The production is a lot better than their first demo you have to admit (I believe you also reviewed that one, Baz), but one of the main problems being the guy who mixed and "produced" it is the guy from Dark Forest, who (even if you compare it to Dark Forest) seems to turn the keyboards and the drums waaay too high, which might be the problem here.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
16.09.2009 - 09:30
Rating: 7
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by HardSide on 10.04.2009 at 14:43

Now thats a nice cover.

If you're not being facetious, the cover was also drawn by a friend of mine, who I'm getting to design my next tattoo. She is very good. Some of her artwork can be found here:

http://www.myspace.com/craniumillustration
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
16.09.2009 - 19:00
HardSide

Written by Doc G. on 16.09.2009 at 09:30

Written by HardSide on 10.04.2009 at 14:43

Now thats a nice cover.

If you're not being facetious, the cover was also drawn by a friend of mine, who I'm getting to design my next tattoo. She is very good. Some of her artwork can be found here:

http://www.myspace.com/craniumillustration

Not at all, the cover is what brought me to read the review, the sound is ok, it lacks heart or whatever you wanna call it, only listened to the myspace song.
09.06.2011 - 23:37
BlckMtlMelodies

You know, this band is a nice little surprise. I realize this review and its album are a couple years old. Hope the production stuff has been sorted out for this suggested 2011 album. I'd like to hear some more and would see them if they got to Toronto. Listening to "With Prosperity and Power" ....it's strong.
09.06.2011 - 23:59
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by BlckMtlMelodies on 09.06.2011 at 23:37

I'd like to hear some more and would see them if they got to Toronto.

I doubt they'll ever make the trip from Calgary.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."

Hits total: 4248 | This month: 11