Metal Storm logo
Ask your language questions here

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 10.04.2009 - 17:15
Just ask your language questions here. doesnt matter if its not about English. you can ask about any languages here.

But, Especially ppl from USA, plz dont take ppl's Dication Faults here. this is not a thread about it. thankx
30.01.2010 - 16:11
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Warman on 09.09.2009 at 15:21

Ä is pronounced like the "A" in "ask".

the word "ask" can be pronounced in different ways... is Ä like in American or British "ask" then?

Is Ä pronounced like E in SvErige?
30.01.2010 - 16:15
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Ernis on 30.01.2010 at 16:11

Exactly!
----
30.01.2010 - 16:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Warman on 30.01.2010 at 16:15

Exactly!

In street where I live has such letter :p
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.01.2010 - 16:25
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Bad English on 30.01.2010 at 16:19

Exactly!

Estonian language has Ä... not only Ä... we also have Ö Ü and Õ...not to speak of ? Z and ?... so exotic for foreigners...
30.01.2010 - 16:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernis on 30.01.2010 at 16:25

Written by Bad English on 30.01.2010 at 16:19

Exactly!

Estonian language has Ä... not only Ä... we also have Ö Ü and Õ...not to speak of ? Z and ?... so exotic for foreigners...

in Sweden not Latvia LOL
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.01.2010 - 16:45
Warman
Erotic Stains

Do you have Mr. Bad Ass himself: Å?
----
30.01.2010 - 16:53
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Warman on 30.01.2010 at 16:45

why is that letter so badass?
30.01.2010 - 17:01
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by FOOCK Nam on 30.01.2010 at 15:56

I have a question:

- What is the most common meaning of "spiritual"
- Does "mind" refers to the something besides body, means "thought". Is that mind = thought
- "Viciously protective" --> negative or positive ? and how does that kind "protective" affect to the people who are protected, as negative or positive ?

Hope somebody can help

1. Spiritual - supernatural (spirits/ghosts/etc.); referring to something separate from physical nature (theoretical existence); religious or sacred ("one with God")
2. Mind - consciousness (act of living); memory (recollection of thought); opinion (as in to "change one's mind"); intellect (ability to think) -- something (as in a life form) capable of reasoning and/or forming thoughts
3. Viciously protective - "vicious" usually refers to an immoral act of evil, something done out of spite or malice, whereas "protection" refers to a form of preservation; therefore "viciously protective" implies the thing/person being viciously protective is doing so out of spite/malice, while the thing/person being viciously protected is being shielded from harm for reasons not necessarily related to its/their well-being.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
30.01.2010 - 19:12
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Warman on 30.01.2010 at 16:45

We don't...

In case you didn't know, in the book "From Finland With Love" there is a whole section about Swedish-speaking Finns and Finland-Sweden relations with the title "Å".
31.01.2010 - 03:13
FOOCK Nam
Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.01.2010 at 17:01

Written by FOOCK Nam on 30.01.2010 at 15:56

I have a question:

- What is the most common meaning of "spiritual"
- Does "mind" refers to the something besides body, means "thought". Is that mind = thought
- "Viciously protective" --> negative or positive ? and how does that kind "protective" affect to the people who are protected, as negative or positive ?

Hope somebody can help

1. Spiritual - supernatural (spirits/ghosts/etc.); referring to something separate from physical nature (theoretical existence); religious or sacred ("one with God")
2. Mind - consciousness (act of living); memory (recollection of thought); opinion (as in to "change one's mind"); intellect (ability to think) -- something (as in a life form) capable of reasoning and/or forming thoughts
3. Viciously protective - "vicious" usually refers to an immoral act of evil, something done out of spite or malice, whereas "protection" refers to a form of preservation; therefore "viciously protective" implies the thing/person being viciously protective is doing so out of spite/malice, while the thing/person being viciously protected is being shielded from harm for reasons not necessarily related to its/their well-being.

Thanks a lot. It is very clearly. Ten stars grade for you
31.01.2010 - 15:39
FOOCK Nam
Another language question:
- What is the different between "married life" and "marriage" ?
13.02.2010 - 16:09
Tormentor666
Written by FOOCK Nam on 31.01.2010 at 15:39

I think "married life" refers to the lifestyle you have when you are married, your relation with your wife and the way you live together... and "marriage" just makes reference to the fact of being married.
----
WARFARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
13.02.2010 - 16:14
FOOCK Nam
Written by Tormentor666 on 13.02.2010 at 16:09

Written by FOOCK Nam on 31.01.2010 at 15:39

I think "married life" refers to the lifestyle you have when you are married, your relation with your wife and the way you live together... and "marriage" just makes reference to the fact of being married.

Thanks for your idea
13.02.2010 - 16:17
Tormentor666
You're always welcome. Let's see if a native speaker can tell us if it's right or wrong.
----
WARFARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
14.02.2010 - 06:26
FOOCK Nam
Written by Tormentor666 on 13.02.2010 at 16:17

You're always welcome. Let's see if a native speaker can tell us if it's right or wrong.

A UK member explains for me they are same, and she told me same as your idea that the lifestyle or life after marriage for "married life". So,
06.02.2012 - 15:14
Skøllgrim
Northern
*Edited*
There seems to be some general confusion and questions regarding the letters and pronunciation in the different Nordic countries.
I'll try to break it down into a post.
I will cover Norwegian, Danish, Swedish and Finnish, which means I left out Icelandic and Faroese letters as I am not all that familiar with them.
Nor did I cover Estonian letters which kind of is a shame on Metal Storm an Estonian based webpage.

Norwegian and Danish "special letters"
Ø / ø - A letter which sounds like the U in hunt (Hønt) or UR in fur (fø) or in the Swedish word "nött." And like Ö in Finnish. Yö (night).
Æ / æ - A letter which sounds like the A in the american Ask (Æsk) or A in address (æddress) looking closely at this letter you'll see that its both A and E mixed togheter.
Å / å - A letter which sounds like the O in horse (Hårse) or the O in on (ån)

Swedish "special letters"
Imagine Norwegian/Danish letters but with dots.
Ö / ö = Ø / ø
Ä / ä = Æ / æ
Å / å = Å / å - No change here

Finnish "special letters and extra info"
Same as the Swedish ones except they don't have the Å / å letter in any Finnish word, but they do have it in their alphabet named Swedish O
They have a minority in Finland that have Swedish as their native tongue (Swedish speaking Finns / Finnish-swedes / Finlandssvenskar) and they have last names with Å / å letter.
I lived a while in Finland and the troublesome thing with Finnish is that they pronounce their letters differently.
U is pronounced OO like the OO in the English word fOOd
O is pronounced Å like A in the English word All (which is why they don't have Å in their Finnish words)
Y is like U in the French word "lUnettes" or the Swedish word "syll". The sound does not exist in standard English which means you can't bring an example from English, lthough some people who speak English with an accent might pronounce it in a manner that it sounds almost like "y".

Please correct me if there's something that's wrong / doesn't make sense.
Cheers to Ernis for pointing out obvious flaws I had entered, I honestly shouldn't be allowed to write sometimes
06.02.2012 - 17:55
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Skøllgrim on 06.02.2012 at 15:14

There seems to be some general confusion and questions regarding the letters and pronunciation in the different Nordic countries.
I'll try to break it down into a post
I will cover Norwegian, Danish, Swedish and Finnish, which means I left out Icelandic and Faroese letters as I am not all that familiar with them.
Nor did I cover Estonian letters which kind of is a shame on Metal Storm an Estonian based webpage.

Norwegian and Danish "special letters"
Ø / ø - A letter which sounds like the U in hunt (Hønt) or U in under (ønder)
Æ / æ - A letter which sounds like the A in the american Ask (Æsk) or A in address (æddress) looking closely at this letter you'll see that its both A and E mixed togheter.
Å / å - A letter which sounds like the O in horse (Hårse) or the O in on (ån)

Swedish "special letters"
Imagine Norwegian/Danish letters but with dots.
Ö / ö = Ø / ø
Ä / ä = Æ / æ
Å / å = Å / å - No change here

Finnish "special letters and extra info"
Same as the Swedish ones except they don't have the Å / å letter in any Finnish word, but they do have it in their alphabet named Swedish O
They have a minority in Finland that have Swedish as their native tongue (Swedish speaking Finns / Finnish-swedes / Finlandssvenskar) and they have last names with Å / å letter.
I lived a while in Finland and the troublesome thing with Finnish is that they pronounce their letters differently.
U is pronounced O
O is pronounced Å (which is why they don't have Å in their Finnish words)
Y is ..... I'm not entirely sure (I think it is pronounced like U but I'm not entirely sure, so please feel free to reply)

I'm a Norwegian guy with a Swedish speaking Finn girlfriend so I think I got this pretty much under control.
Please correct me if there's something that's wrong / doesn't make sense and help me out with the finnish Y letter!

"y" in finnish is supposedly always pronounced as "u" (but not like in "union", more like the "oo" in "look"), I have a colleague here who speaks decent Finnish and has even lived a while in Tampere and when I asked her how Simo Häyhä is pronounced.. she replied, well, it's something like Simo Haeuhe or ˈsimɔ ˈhæy̯hæ according to Wiki.

I've been researching the nordic languages for quite a few months now, and I believe the Icelandic and Faroese letters Þ/þ and Ð/ð are named "thorn" and "eth" respectively.

The first one (Þ/þ) is pronounced (surprise surprise) just like the "th" in "thorn" and the second one (Ð/ð) as "th" in "the".
06.02.2012 - 21:45
Ernis
狼獾

Ø / ø - A letter which sounds like the U in hunt (Hønt) or U in under (ønder)

Excuse me? Under in English is not ønder but (Ande). Ø/Ö is supposed to sound like "ur" in the English word "fur" (fø) or in the Swedish word "nött." And like Ö in Finnish. Yö (night). Your Finnish girlfriend doesn't say "ya", does she?

U is pronounced O
O is pronounced Å (which is why they don't have Å in their Finnish words)
Y is ..... I'm not entirely sure (I think it is pronounced like U but I'm not entirely sure, so please feel free to reply)

Excuse me once more. I'm from Estonia. The letters of Finnish and Estonian are pronounced in an almost identical manner. That's why I can't understand how U is pronounced as O.

U is like OO in the English word "fOOd"

O is indeed like Å or like A in the English word "All"

Y is definitely NOT U. It's like u in the French word "lUnettes" or the Swedish word "syll". The sound does not exist in standard English which means you can't bring an example from English.

Written by Valentin B on 06.02.2012 at 17:55

"y" in finnish is supposedly always pronounced as "u" (but not like in "union", more like the "oo" in "look"), I have a colleague here who speaks decent Finnish and has even lived a while in Tampere and when I asked her how Simo Häyhä is pronounced.. she replied, well, it's something like Simo Haeuhe or ˈsimɔ ˈhæy̯hæ according to Wiki.

No, no, no. As I already stated. It's not "oo". The "oo" sound in Finnish corresponds to U. Y represents the sound that exists in French (lunettes, tu, mur, lune)
It doesn't exist in English, although some people who speak English with an accent might pronounce it in a manner that it sounds almost like "y".

"simɔ ˈhæy̯hæ" is correct (it's in IPA, can you understand IPA?) Simo Haeuhe is not correct. You can't create an English version of this name. Simo, perhaps, could be represented as "Seemaw" but "Häyhä" is impossible to be rendered because English language does not recognise such sound clusters, especially because this one contains a sound that doesn't even exist in English. You speak German or French? Both of them have Y/Ü. Such as in "ich hÜlfe dir"

Written by Valentin B on 06.02.2012 at 17:55

The first one (Þ/þ) is pronounced (surprise surprise) just like the "th" in "thorn" and the second one (Ð/ð) as "th" in "the".

Yep, you got that one right. In fact, the letter þ is actually called "thorn."
07.02.2012 - 02:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Ernis on 06.02.2012 at 21:45

Y is definitely NOT U. It's like u in the French word "lUnettes" or the Swedish word "syll". The sound does not exist in standard English which means you can't bring an example from English.

Or as in my surname Hubregtse, but since almost no-one on this site has heard that pronounced it isn't of much use hahaha.
the g in my name is pronounced as the ch in the Scottish word Loch, so as X in the phonetical alphabet. the tse more or less like the Chinese tse the br as in brrrrrr it's cold hahaha and H as in the English Hotel
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.02.2012 - 04:03
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
[sarcasm]I'm using all these in my new song title![/sarcasm]

In Canada (The french part)

we have é which is pronounced eh.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
07.02.2012 - 04:32
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.02.2012 at 02:39

Or as in my surname Hubregtse, but since almost no-one on this site has heard that pronounced it isn't of much use hahaha.
the g in my name is pronounced as the ch in the Scottish word Loch, so as X in the phonetical alphabet. the tse more or less like the Chinese tse the br as in brrrrrr it's cold hahaha and H as in the English Hotel

Hughbrrrrekhchuh?
Hu(Hugh)-br(brrrr)-eg(ekh)-tse(chuh)

The tse(chuh) representing like an 'e' at the end of German words: reise > r(rrr)-ei(eye)-se(zuh)?
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

07.02.2012 - 04:51
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Written by Ernis on 30.01.2010 at 19:12

Swedish-speaking Finns

If I'm not mistaken they're called Fenno-swedes (someone correct me if I'm wrong)...
----

07.02.2012 - 05:41
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Written by Ernis on 06.02.2012 at 21:45

Y represents the sound that exists in French (lunettes, tu, mur, lune)

I am American but I typically have an aptitude for pronouncing foreign languages. I have taken both Spanish and French classes in high school; Iforgot most of them but still have retained some words and the memory of the pronunciations. Also studied on my own a little German; have 2 close friends who took German classes at their high school and I wanted to know what some of Rammsteins songs were about and to be able to sing along. Also studied on my own some Norwegian; same reason for studying German but for early Dimmu Borgir songs. And studied some Swedish (because it was similar to German and Norwegian).

If I'm understanding this correctly it would basically be like the English word you; l-you-nettes, t-you, m-you-r, l-you-ne (at least that's how I was taught to say those words in French class)? And if so then it would be exactly like the u in union, also then "Häyhä" would be HahyouHah > H-ä(ah)-y(you)-H-ä(ah). No?
----

07.02.2012 - 06:00
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Using Children Of Bodom just cuz they're the first Finnish band that came to mind (trying to get a better grasp on Finnish if possible):
Alexi Laiho = Ahleksee Lyho?
Jaska Raatikainen = Yahskah Rahteekynen?
Janne Viljami Wirman = Yahnay Filyahmee Weerman?
Roope Latvala = Rrohpuh Lahtwahlah?
Henkka T. Blacksmith = Haynkah?
----

07.02.2012 - 21:26
Skøllgrim
Northern
Updated it with your replies Erni, you see anymore errors? Thanks
07.02.2012 - 22:24
Ernis
狼獾
Written by psykometal on 07.02.2012 at 05:41

If I'm understanding this correctly it would basically be like the English word you; l-you-nettes, t-you, m-you-r, l-you-ne (at least that's how I was taught to say those words in French class)? And if so then it would be exactly like the u in union, also then "Häyhä" would be HahyouHah > H-ä(ah)-y(you)-H-ä(ah). No?

Then you were not taught correctly. Lunettes is not pronounced as l-you-nettes. In IPA it would appear as "lynett"...

Was your French teacher a native speaker? That would explain something. A friend of mine studied French too and they learnt the pronunciation that was bent to meet the particularities of English pronunciation. My friends knew some American chicks who had some Italian ancestry. Damn, their Italian pronunciation was horrid. They don't say "grazie" like it should be said "gratsie"... they say "greyssyey" or "graahzyey"... yeh, because they learnt it that way. Usually native speakers have awful pronunciation when they speak foreign languages. The sad thing is... they learn it at school. It's as if the teachers didn't even attempt to teach the real pronunciation but just teach the students to pronounce the words as they would be in English.

Anyway... English doesn't have Y/Ü. It's not "you", though. The Russians have the same problem, actually. They don't have that sound, that's why they always replace names such as "Ümera" with "Yumera"... Actually it's not that hard to make that sound. Just some practise and imitation and it works like a charm.

Written by psykometal on 07.02.2012 at 05:41

Alexi Laiho = Ahleksee Lyho?
Jaska Raatikainen = Yahskah Rahteekynen?
Janne Viljami Wirman = Yahnay Filyahmee Weerman?
Roope Latvala = Rrohpuh Lahtwahlah?
Henkka T. Blacksmith = Haynkah?

Ouch...

Well... When I'm reading the names on the left with the Finnish pronunciation and the names on the right with the English pronunciation, I must admit, I get different sounds. Another problem for the native English speakers is that they always try to anglicise foreign names. What you wrote is actually the closest you can get to the actual pronunciation but it still is quite far from it. English pronunciation is very difficult and deviates strongly from the actual pronunciation of the Latin letters. Many languages, including Finnish, more or less follow the original pronunciation. Because English had the "great vowel shift", the pronunciation doesn't correspond to the letters any longer.

Anyway... I don't know if it helps but... you have the original pronunciation of the letter on the left and the English possible pronunciations on the right... in the languages which follow the original pronunciation, every letter usually has just one possible pronunciation, unlike English...
Original - English
A (dart) - EI (lane)/O (all)/Ä (crass)/A (dart)
E (fed) - I (feed)/E (fed)
I (fit) - AI (fine)/I (fit)
O (toll) - O (toll)/OU (road)/ A (done)
U (full) - U (full)/YU (use)/ A (luck)
EE (the sound in fed, just longer) - I (feed)
OO (the sound of toll, just longer) - U (food)

Therefore... Henkka... it is just Henkka... Heart fEd Night Kilo Kilo dOne. Haynkah would not do... why? Because Haynkah would be written in Finnish like "Heinkaa". Janne is Janne (Yule dOne Night Night fEd)... Yahnay would be "Jaahnei"...

Any questions? You can ask here or send me a PM. Whatever floats yer boat.

Written by Skøllgrim on 07.02.2012 at 21:26

Updated it with your replies Erni, you see anymore errors? Thanks

Yep, sure. If your woman's a native Finnish speaker, I bet she could be of some marvellous help too.
07.02.2012 - 22:42
Skøllgrim
Northern
Sort of banned from metalstorm on her behalf. I procrastinate with MS :p
14.02.2012 - 13:18
FOOCK Nam
I need help on Portuguese language, what is "what the fuck" and "fuck" in Portuguese ? I tried google and some common phrase but it varies a lot. Please answer me fast, Im gonna meet the Portuguese one for his late birthday, hope this could be fun : D
18.02.2012 - 17:14
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
I have a question which doesn't relate to a language in particular, is it easy to learn a language when left to your own devices? I ask because multilingualism seems to be more common these days and feel kind of.. I don't know, backward with just one language.

I'd love to learn but I'm not particularly interested in forking out the money for lessons or whatever. Has anyone who's learnt a language on their own had much success with it?
18.02.2012 - 18:34
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by R'Vannith on 18.02.2012 at 17:14
I have a question which doesn't relate to a language in particular, is it easy to learn a language when left to your own devices? I ask because multilingualism seems to be more common these days and feel kind of.. I don't know, backward with just one language.

Bilingualism is more correct. Lots of people know their mother tongue, English and (possibly), a language similar to your mother tongue, because it's easy as fuck and why not, but not always. (Russian is popular in Slavic countries)

On the other hand, if you're a native English speaker, you already know the global language, so... I mean, it shouldn't be too hard to learn a European language by your own devices if you're dedicated.

Then again, I guess Spanish is popular with Americans, since some states have a high Hispanic population, and it's necessary in some cases.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.