Metal Storm logo
They Rule The Band

Original post

Posted by , 13.07.2006 - 04:12
So this thread is about those band members who are complete control freaks...band members who are in the limelight more then other members, composing more passages, always noted for more ideas and concepts then other members, members who basically write all the music, stuff like that...I know a lot of them in the rock vien (Robert Fripp of King Crimson for example) but maybe you MSers could shed light on some of those metal figureheads who basically treat the other band members simply as hired guns...I'm not talking about solo artists, but actual bands where one band member is a complete control freak...that one band member that created the band from his own two hands and thus just thinks he can disband the band whenever he wants, owns the rights to the material and name, etc, etc...
05.02.2007 - 20:31
?Bodomchild?

Henrik Garcia - Dark Moor , i didnt heard them since the self tittled album cuz i dont like the new formation but Henrik is a awesome composer in the older albums, also some of the bands contribute a lot and a lot of them quit and he can handled the band by himself

Tom Angelripper - Sodom , without him there's no Sodomania !!!
----
asd
06.02.2007 - 23:33
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Jon Schaffer from Iced Earth is definitely the most recognized member of the band, after all he did create the band.

Others are Dave Mustaine (Megadeth), Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree), Glen Benton (Deicide), Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom), Chuck Shuldiner (Death), Alex Skolnick (Testament)

It's too bad that some of these guys are recognized more than others. For example, when I think of Children of Bodom, one of the first things that I think of is Janne Warman, not Alexi. If there were no other members in the band, there wouldn't even be a band!
10.03.2007 - 08:45
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Cronos from Venom, I just read the liner notes for 'Cast In Stone', which Cronos wrote, and he spends most of 5 pages or so shitting all over Mantas and Abbadon.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
11.03.2007 - 00:48
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Lars Ulrich from Metallica, he decides how they play the songs and pretty much everything Metallica does, you'll know what i'm talking about if you saw their DVD. James Hetfeild from Metallica also sort of does that but not nearly as much as Lars.
14.03.2007 - 13:27
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Written by Guest on 11.03.2007 at 00:48

Lars Ulrich from Metallica, he decides how they play the songs and pretty much everything Metallica does, you'll know what i'm talking about if you saw their DVD. James Hetfeild from Metallica also sort of does that but not nearly as much as Lars.

Is it? I thought even hettfield has control over the band as much as ohters.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
14.03.2007 - 14:17
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Paganblood on 14.03.2007 at 13:27

before cliff burton died, there was the trio, james-cliff-lars. after his death, lars slowly but surely started to take over the band, with bad consequences. kirk hammet, though a brilliant guitarist, pretty much doesn't have any power in the band, and if i was him, i would have left after st. anger.

other than that, i'll say mike shinoda from linkin park, he's basically the band(not considering them metal people, just an example) other than that it's steve harris for maiden, jon schaffer for iced earth, and if i'm not mistaken, joey de maio from manowar is a similar guy.
14.03.2007 - 16:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Valentin B on 14.03.2007 at 14:17

before cliff burton died, there was the trio, james-cliff-lars. after his death, lars slowly but surely started to take over the band, with bad consequences. kirk hammet, though a brilliant guitarist, pretty much doesn't have any power in the band, and if i was him, i would have left after st. anger.

other than that, i'll say mike shinoda from linkin park, he's basically the band(not considering them metal people, just an example) other than that it's steve harris for maiden, jon schaffer for iced earth, and if i'm not mistaken, joey de maio from manowar is a similar guy.

Mmm, soprry to say but Cliff never ran the band it was always Lars and James. It was Lars' brainchild anyway, he started looking for others to join him.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.03.2007 - 20:16
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Yeah, for Metallica Lars was always the leader from their Thrash days to now with their St. Anger crap, by the way it was his stupid idea to not do any solos in that album.

I also just found out from my friend that likes the Beatles that John Lennon was supposedly a control freak .
16.03.2007 - 11:57
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Written by Valentin B on 14.03.2007 at 14:17

I didn't know that kirk was in that position..
about Iron Maiden, yes, harris is in an important person in the band, but I don't think Iron maiden will disband if harris leaves, because others in the band have good positons as well.
I don't care about linkin park and iced earth, and I don't know much about manowar. anyway, I understood that you were just giving an example.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
16.03.2007 - 14:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 14.03.2007 at 20:16

Yeah, for Metallica Lars was always the leader from their Thrash days to now with their St. Anger crap, by the way it was his stupid idea to not do any solos in that album.

Am I actually the only who was glad that there were NO solos on St. Anger? I hate St. Anger, but IMO it is blessing that there were no solos, cause IMO Kirk is THE most overrated guitarist ever. And he should stay off his wah wah pedal.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.03.2007 - 14:55
UpTheIrons666

All you really hear about Gamma Ray is about Kai Hansen. Maiden is Stev Harris's creation, but he does let the other members contribute a great deal. Think of what powerslave would be without dickinsons songwriting.
16.03.2007 - 20:08
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.03.2007 at 14:00

Am I actually the only who was glad that there were NO solos on St. Anger? I hate St. Anger, but IMO it is blessing that there were no solos, cause IMO Kirk is THE most overrated guitarist ever. And he should stay off his wah wah pedal.

While it is true that he sucks and is overated nowadays, you have to admit that he was pretty good in the 80's (especily in "Ride the Lightening"). Anyways while his solos most likely would've sucked in St.Crap, I would've still liked to have seen him fricken try. Besides it's not like St. Anger could've been much worse anyways.
16.03.2007 - 20:33
Valentin B
Iconoclast

while i agree, he's not a genius guitarist, the solo in "one" is the most INSANE fast tapping sequence i have personally ever heard and on their debut album his solos are really good, especially on "hit the lights", although come to think of it, aren't those dave mustaine's solos?
18.03.2007 - 05:29
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
They are Mustaine's solos, but Hammet does a really good job in delivering them...he might be overrated, but he's still a great guitarist and people still take forever to learn his techniques...it's amazing how people will say that a guitarist is overrated just because he makes some money...and yes, Hammry executes great solos...I don't think that Lars has ANY RIGHT to say that there should be no solos on an album...Hammet should've been like FUCK YOU!
18.03.2007 - 06:46
selken
Irreligious
some well verified examples:
Timo Tolkki - Stratovarius
Mana - Moi dix Mois
Txus - Mägo de Oz
Dave Mustaine - Megadeth
Dani Filth - Cradle Of Filth
Quorthon - Bathory
Yoshiki Hayashi - X Japan
although some of them are solo proyects
----
02.04.2007 - 23:07
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
Timo Tolkki - Stratovarius
Tom S. Englund - Evergrey
Tuomas Holopainen - Nightwish
Dave Mustaine - Megadeth
Alexi Laiho - CoB
Tony Kakko - Sonata Arctica
Jon Shcaffer - Iced Earth
Kai Hansen - Gamma Ray

Im not saying this is the bad thing, or that thay are 'cruel masters' that wont listen to anyone else or something, it's just these people are the main writing and moving force in they're bands, and without them, these bands whould exsist, at least not in the way we know...
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
09.04.2007 - 04:45
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Well I'm sure names like Steve Harris, Dave Mustaine, and Chuck Schuldiner have been brought up here......I guess they rule/d their bands.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
09.04.2007 - 09:42
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest

No dude , you are not the only one .... i will just say + 1 to your post ( any actually i have countless friends who thinks the same ) .... now i dont wanna say crap abt that album. Period.

09.04.2007 - 10:16
Warman
Erotic Stains

Can't say I'm GLAD that there are no solos on the album, but I sure don't miss them. I wouldn't call Hammet overrated but I've always disliked most of Metallica's solos, very boring.
----
12.04.2007 - 05:02
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
One I never realised before is Joey Demaio from Manowar, when I thought of Manowar I usually thought Eric Adams, but now that I look at it, all Manowar songs are written by Joey, and Joey pretty much has control/dominance in any interview, which is pretty rare for a bassist.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
12.04.2007 - 12:34
Illusionist
Account deleted
Dave Mustaine is the control Freak incarnate. Seriously, read some of his liner notes sometimes.
26.07.2011 - 04:39
ToMegaTherion

I think i'm going to follow many others in here and say Dave Mustaine, the dude hasa hell of an ego. But I still really like Megadeth, so as long as he keeps writing good stuff I'm happy. It seems to me that the times he has shared the responsibility of writing the songs, most of them are just not as good as the Mustaine specials.
26.07.2011 - 09:20
JD
Account deleted
It seems to me that "Jamey" from Hatebreed is a ruler, yeah and Mustaine that dude is a freak.
26.07.2011 - 09:27
Wyrd

I think Devin Townsend when he worked on Strapping Young Lad should get a mention here if he hasn't already. I mean, without him, SYL would have never come to be.
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
27.07.2011 - 01:15
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Dave Mustaine. In his early years, he kept bringing and kicking out members from Megadeth.