Release date: November 1991

01. Ominous Lamentation
02. Slithering Maceration Of Ulcerous Facial Tissue
03. Grotesque Laceration Of Mortified Flesh
04. Severe Catatonia In Pathology
05. Crimson Concerto
06. The Succulent Aftermath Of A Subdural Hemorrhage
07. An Orgy Of Flying Limbs And Gore

The first EP released by this Swedish Goregrind band called "General Surgery", released by Relapse Records of course; this is a record filled with a lot of (early) Carcass riffs, yes, I know most Goregrind bands often utilize and derange Carcass's riffs, but "General Surgery"?Damn this band made it more than obvious, and I won't hesitate to say The "Man?This sounds like a Carcass Rip-Off" words.

The album starts with an instrumental piece Called "Genital Grind?" oh no wait, the song's name is actually "Omnius Lamentation", this piece resembles badly to Genital Grinder, and some riffs are exactly the same in fact. The whole EP is wrapped with this kind of tracks (ala Carcass Style I mean); even the vocal work is really similar, everything from the breakdowns to the solos, passing trough the riffing and the drumming sounds like a Carcass Rip-Off if you ask me.

Now, even though this sounds like a Rip-Off, the members have skills and talent, the music is (All Rip-Offs aside) incredible, they manage to sound really raw and tight at the same time, most of the tracks have some complex solos and one or two progressions. Then there's also the drummer, the best member in the band in my opinion, the beats are really powerful, rapid and catchy as hell, so he gives "General Surgery" some extra points.

If you are a Carcass fan skip this album, the aftermath is not pretty believe me. You'll get really pissed off for the "Rip-Off" bit, then you'll want to break the CD, then you'll yell at your mom because she sent you to take out the Trash can, then your dad will punish you cause you yelled at your mom, then you'll yell at your dad, your dad will punish you more, because of that you'll kick your dog and make your little sister cry, and so on?so to avoid this kind of troubles, just skip this release.

Written by Herzebeth | 17.08.2005

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 20 users
13.04.2009 - 04:17
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Loud & Clear Herzebeth! So this review is kinda usless, maybe you could have shortened this writing something like "Man... This sounds like a Carcass Rip-Off" don't you think so?
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"

Hits total: 4814 | This month: 13