02. Fallen (Angel Son)
03. Deathstorm
04. Stained By Hate
05. Bloodpath
06. Annihilated Gods
07. Sinners Lust
08. Dark Signs
09. 8th Dominion

I think it's about time someone combines our two favourite things: metal and Happy Families! 'Than I'd like from you, from the "Long-Running And Incredbly Solid Swedish Death Metal" category the band Grave.' 'Here you go.' 'Thank you very much, that completes the family!'

And joy is all around. Another thing that's all around, is Death fucking metal. If you're listening to Grave at the moment, of course. 'Cause Grave is exactly that: Death fucking metal. Let's throw in a nice cliché-metaphor at this point - because you know, clichés are used so often for a reason - Grave is like a warmachine without a steer, going full throttle. You know what that means - desaster and destruction.

So if you're dealing with a surplus of energy or just feel like you should train those neck muscles, don't hesitate to spend some money on Grave's "Dominion VIII". You'll get a stomping mid-tempo, groovy and pummeling record in return. But one with great, nastylicious solos and a good amount of melody too. Melody that isn't blatantly obvious (curse you Gothenburg bands) but nonetheless present and an enriching factor. The vocal delivery by Ola Lindgren is brutal and to the point, exactly like we're used to. Trademark Swedish Death metal stuff, in short. As if you didn't know that already.

With releases from bands such as Grave the question is not 'what are we going to hear?', but 'how good is this stuff?' Of course you already know what this sounds like, but how well are they performing this time (a valid question when you take albums such as "Hating Life" into consideration... although it wasn't as horrible as some people said, just a little different, but I'm really drifting off here). Well, I can tell you now that there's no need to worry about the quality. "Dominion VIII" may not be a new "Soulless" or "You'll Never See", but it's certainly a damn bitchy and pissed off piece of music. Hail to rotten and doomed Death fucking metal! Don't like that? Go fish!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 20.04.2009 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 140 users
20.04.2009 - 15:44
Bas
Retired Staff
And here y'all can read an interview with them from two years ago
http://www.metalstorm.ee/pub/interview.php?interview_id=399

I might just get this one, actually I was just feeling like listening to some good death metal again when I saw this review on the frontpage
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
20.04.2009 - 16:59
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Haha, nice review man, i never paid attention to Grave all that much, but since i read this i'll give Dominion VIII a try. Keep the death metal reviews coming ! Listen to Tribulation's debut Lucas, sounds like your kind of DM.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
26.04.2009 - 19:54
Rating: 7
Shadowcross
The Summoner
I actually didn't mind this album, and i think your review is pretty spot on
around a 7 for me
28.04.2009 - 01:06
kackbratze

I think this is their best since the first three albums. I'm really digging that album because it sounds so old-school. It has some tasty breakdowns and slow parts. And I think the vocals are the best performance by Ola yet, if still not as good as the first vocalist, but pretty good.

The 20+ second long power chord at the beginning of A World in Darkness appealed to me from the first time listening to it. I immediately thought that this would be a good opener for concerts. Then I saw them live some weeks later and they indeed opened with that song. It was monumental. Haha.
19.05.2009 - 14:54
Rating: 8
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Spot-on review. it says the truth about this album. i'd like it a bit better. at least they played it very good live!!!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!

Hits total: 5050 | This month: 5