Metal Storm logo
Dream Theater vs Symphony X

Original post

Posted by IronBlackZepp, 22.04.2009 - 02:20
Somthing that is often brought up by prog fans is, who is better, Dream Theater or Symphony X. Probably the two most influential bands of the genre, with some of the best musicians in the history of music. Both bands bring different elements to the stile. Dream Theater brings more elements of thrash metal, and Symphony X brings more elements of power metal. Who ever you pick you have give respect to both of these bands for holding up all of these years and making the music that they want to make, and influencing almost every other prog metal band or artist to ever write a song after them.

Poll

Which do you think is a better band?

Dream Theater
Symphony X

Total votes: 120
13.01.2010 - 16:33
macraigma
Written by thvnderforge on 10.01.2010 at 22:46

Micheal romeo's guitar work shatters any thing produced by dream theater. also dream theater are sell outs. their only good song in my view are "glass prison" which doesnt even compare to the master pieces such as inferno, smoke and mirrors, and evolution. symphony x shouldnt even be compared to drwam thater for dream theater isnt even on the same level of talent as symphony x.

Symphony takes my vote.

lol damn dude, why'd you have to bash my favorite band haha
----
"Now for the weak an abortion
Celebrate perfection that grows
The flesh, a gift of science
The soul a fault of a god"
18.01.2010 - 08:24
IronBlackZepp
Written by thvnderforge on 10.01.2010 at 22:46

Micheal romeo's guitar work shatters any thing produced by dream theater. also dream theater are sell outs. their only good song in my view are "glass prison" which doesnt even compare to the master pieces such as inferno, smoke and mirrors, and evolution. symphony x shouldnt even be compared to drwam thater for dream theater isnt even on the same level of talent as symphony x.

Symphony takes my vote.

Micheal Romeo is one of the greatest guitarists of all time, but to say he is better then John Petrucci or anyone who plays an instrument in DT is false. As far as the music both bands have written it really depends on opinion, some like DT more some like SX more. But as far as technical ability geos both bands are about even.
18.01.2010 - 10:16
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Dream Theater just gets too long and progressive for me sometimes.
18.01.2010 - 18:07
brunotvrs
Although both bands are "prog", I think they are really different. Symphony X is much more "powerful" in a lot of ways, and maybe much more "Metal"... But still, Dream Theater takes my vote, since they are, imo, more complete than Symphony X, musically speaking.

Sometimes I still feel like listening to Symphony X and can't stand listening to DT, though... As I said, they are very different in my opinion. Way too different!

Also I prefer DT's lyrical themes.
----
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." Calvin Coolidge
08.06.2010 - 21:53
krystal-moon
By the time I started listening to metal (I was maybe 8 or 9, and my sister was my Heavy Metal dealer) I had, among others, a tape called Symphony X "The Damnation Game" and one called Dream Theater "Images and Words". I loved them both. To me it sounded like magic...how could someone play and sing anything so wonderful? Songs like "Another Day" and "Edge of Forever" cannot be replaced in my heart.

Then growing up I started to see the subtle "shades" and folds of the music I love. I am by NO MEANS a musician, so I wouldn't dare play "critic" here. Having said that, between the two, Symphony X is the band I couldn't go without for more than a couple of days. I think it's the only band that has made me cry when watching them play live; my heart just burst with emotion and I couldn't hold it in any more
I saw both bands live at a gig in Rome last year, and I'm afraid Dream Theater did nothing for me. I was actually sad they didn't. They even played "Surrounded", which I love, but even that was just void of emotion to me, so I don't think it's a case of not liking the new sound.

As far as talent goes, I think both bands have heaps of it. Technically speaking, probably Dream Theater surpass Symphony X in that department (musical people help me out here ) but I like that Symphony X are able to bring it down a notch, making a song simpler (maybe) but on the whole more enjoyable. I sometimes feel that Dream Theater just have to "impress" by doing the most complicated thing they can come up with.
Other than that, I prefer Allen's voice to LaBrie's, and I think Romeo has a "depth" and, sometimes, softness I do not find with Petrucci. I like the lyrics written by both bands, but I find Dream Theater are slightly better at "painting" a picture with words.

Sorry if this awfully long, hope I haven't bored anyone to death!

Oh! And in case you were wondering, my vote went to Symphony X
----
Take my last breath as I fall into Eternity
09.06.2010 - 00:50
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by krystal-moon on 08.06.2010 at 21:53

Oh! And in case you were wondering, my vote went to Symphony X

Honestly, I'm not surprised that you like Symphony X more than Dream Theater. Obviously, you are a big fan of power metal and Symphony X seems to have PM traits that Dream Theater don't have... Which is the reason I don't like Symphony X as much, I think. Don't get me wrong, I love me some nomable power metal (especially the kinds with wizard, siren, cyclops and dragon flavors), but I'm more of a prog and classic heavy metal fan when it comes down to it. I will admit though that Symphony X DO have a more consistently solid discography and are a much better live band than Dream Theater.

I also agree with you on the vocals too. The only times I really like LaBrie's voice is on Images & Words and Ayreon's The Human Equation. Allen's voice is much better across everything he's been involved in. When it comes to Petrucci vs. Romeo, I think Romeo create great riffs (Petrucci rarely ever comes up with anything beyond a crappy Metallica-riff), and Petrucci has MUCH better solos. Also, I agree with DT having better lyrics too. Surrounded and Lines In the Sand are great examples of this. AND ALSO (lots of agreeing here) Dream Theater do "wank around" a lot, while Symphony X is a much tighter and focused band.

That all being said, my vote still goes for Dream Theater, because Their first four albums hold a very special place in my heart and are still among some of the best albums I have ever heard.

On a side note about your wishy-washy times at Symphony X shows... the only band that has made me tear-up live is Tran-Siberian Orchestra. For some reason their music (especially their ballads) move me in ways that are very hard to explain. I even choke up when singing along with some of their songs at home. XD
09.06.2010 - 07:44
whatsacow
I love symphony ex... and they are probably better in a loit of ways, but dream theater pretty much got me into metal so meh.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
10.06.2010 - 16:18
krystal-moon
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 09.06.2010 at 00:50

That all being said, my vote still goes for Dream Theater, because Their first four albums hold a very special place in my heart and are still among some of the best albums I have ever heard.

I know what you mean. Obviously the choice is ultimately based on personal preference, something that often has very little to do with rational reason or logic, and that is what makes it special; you fall in love with a painting, a song, even a person, and part of that is totally unexplainable, and absolutely personal. I actually like that idea a lot

On a side note about your wishy-washy times at Symphony X shows... the only band that has made me tear-up live is Tran-Siberian Orchestra. For some reason their music (especially their ballads) move me in ways that are very hard to explain. I even choke up when singing along with some of their songs at home. XD

I should check them out then. I'll send you a report, including a diagram explaining observed wishy-washyness reactions, and comparing results to previous lab tests
----
10.06.2010 - 17:34
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by krystal-moon on 10.06.2010 at 16:18

I know what you mean. Obviously the choice is ultimately based on personal preference, something that often has very little to do with rational reason or logic, and that is what makes it special; you fall in love with a painting, a song, even a person, and part of that is totally unexplainable, and absolutely personal. I actually like that idea a lot

Yup, yup! I'm glad that you understand!

Written by krystal-moon on 10.06.2010 at 16:18

I should check them out then. I'll send you a report, including a diagram explaining observed wishy-washyness reactions, and comparing results to previous lab tests

By no means did I imply that their music would have the same effect on you, because something like that is strictly personal. It either does something for you or not. I was just making a comparison. I'll probably send you some links of their music or sumfin though.
10.06.2010 - 17:37
krystal-moon
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 10.06.2010 at 17:34

By no means did I imply that their music would have the same effect on you, because something like that is strictly personal. It either does something for you or not. I was just making a comparison. I'll probably send you some links of their music or sumfin though.

Please do, I'd like that very much
----
10.06.2010 - 18:20
Fëanor
Very tough decision, however I voted DT.

Reason being, as someone has said, Symphony X is amazing but it's mostly because of Russel Allen and Michael Romeo, others in the band don't seem to pull their own weight. DT has nothing but amazing musicians, they all contribute. Also, on a personal level, DT influenced me more.

But don't get me wrong, I fucking love Symphony X. If I could vote for both, I would.

Side note, 2 best concerts I've seen:
1 DT in Quebec city (outdoor show show on the docks) '03
2 Symphony X in Montreal (Foufounes) '04
----
~Everything we think we know is merely a guess, and every thought process is a theory in progress.~

I'm not insane - I'm just smarter than you!
02.07.2010 - 23:52
Sulac
I'll have to go with Symphony X here. Its one of my favorite bands of all time (top 15)
27.07.2010 - 15:48
MetalFist
Account deleted
Im sorry to Symphony X here, but IMO Dream Theater have better music. It's just so.. soo... amazing.
27.07.2010 - 17:37
VinciShredder
I prefer Symphony X, but both are truly impossible for the 'better' spot...they both rock equally!
----
When in despair on what to play on your guitar next, just shred the hell out of that bitch.
28.07.2010 - 03:51
YonTroper
Written by Fëanor on 10.06.2010 at 18:20

Very tough decision, however I voted DT.

Reason being, as someone has said, Symphony X is amazing but it's mostly because of Russel Allen and Michael Romeo, others in the band don't seem to pull their own weight. DT has nothing but amazing musicians, they all contribute. Also, on a personal level, DT influenced me more.

But don't get me wrong, I fucking love Symphony X. If I could vote for both, I would.

This, basically, plus I prefer DT's lyrics to Symphony X's, even though I don't think they're as good now as they were on Images and Words, and DT does tend to wank on a bit. And LaBrie isn't as bad as everyone says he is (well, until Falling Into Infinity he wasn't, and he's got better), I don't get all the hate...

Oh, and I voted Dream Theater.
----
I need a signature. Dunno what to write.
28.07.2010 - 14:51
Aetherius
Both bands are "prog" but very different. I have liked both of these bands for over a decade so i feel very close to both of them. I feel petrucci is the more talented guitarist of the two, whether you like him or not. For me personally, i feel more emotion come out of Petrucci's solos. They seem to flow freely. Romeo is good also. But I just feel his playing lacks the heart felt emotion. Romeos playing sounds more technical and mechanical, if that is the right way i am trying to put it. I am putting down neither because i like both of these guys. Seeing them each live is a treat and i recommend to anyone
28.07.2010 - 17:56
Storchillarn
They're so very different from eachother but if you look at both bands' body of work, Dream Theater have released a whole lot more and is the more versatile band. That being said, DT's later albums aren't as good as those of Symphony X IMO, and Allen outdoes Labrie by far. Love them both but Symphony X are better a.t.m. so they get my vote!
28.07.2010 - 23:51
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Dream theater i like better i love symphony x too one of my favorite bands but dream theater is my all time favorite because their so versatile
----
Stay Metal !!!
29.06.2011 - 01:19
Damshak
Symphony X
17.09.2015 - 18:22
Lopolik
I cannot vote here.. I really love DT and SX both equally. They are both awesome.
18.09.2015 - 14:59
slim pickings
Account deleted
I've voted for Dream Theater, I just listen to them more, I need a special mood to listen to Symphony X (my power metal mood as I listen to little of that these days).
I like Symphony X but I don't think they have an album the same league as Images & Words, Awake, SFAM or Train Of Thought.
22.09.2015 - 12:02
Ganondox
Russell Allen > James LaBrie, 'nuff said.
23.09.2015 - 02:43
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
John Petrucci > Michael Romeo

Dream Theater as a band has more variety and as stated above, Symphony X doesn't have an album as good as the best from DT.
23.09.2015 - 14:12
Ganondox
Written by Azarath on 23.09.2015 at 02:43

John Petrucci > Michael Romeo

Dream Theater as a band has more variety and as stated above, Symphony X doesn't have an album as good as the best from DT.

With a singer like a Russel Allen, Michael Romeo could be replaced by the guy from Emmure and the band would still be great. Adrenaline Mob kinda proved that. Meanwhile LaBrie only has a career at all because of Petrucci. Anyway, while Dream Theater is more varied, Petrucci isn't THAT much better than Romeo, while it's pretty clear that Allen is a league ahead of LaBrie.
23.09.2015 - 22:19
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by Ganondox on 23.09.2015 at 14:12

With a singer like a Russel Allen, Michael Romeo could be replaced by the guy from Emmure and the band would still be great. Adrenaline Mob kinda proved that. Meanwhile LaBrie only has a career at all because of Petrucci. Anyway, while Dream Theater is more varied, Petrucci isn't THAT much better than Romeo, while it's pretty clear that Allen is a league ahead of LaBrie.

But didn't Adrenaline Mob... suck terribly? LaBrie was a pretty damn good singer back in the day - the LaBrie of Awake would more than hold his own against Allen. Who knows what might have been if not for the food poisoning?

But there's really no point in picking apart bands like this. What matters is what they do as a unit. And Symphony X's music is more limited to the metal side of things while Dream Theater has a more open, diverse sound. And better albums.
25.09.2015 - 10:44
Ganondox
Written by Azarath on 23.09.2015 at 22:19

Written by Ganondox on 23.09.2015 at 14:12

But didn't Adrenaline Mob... suck terribly?

Only if you hate anything remotely hard rock. I think the only people who actually hate them are does who are disappointed it's not Symphony X, while everyone else either just doesn't care about them or thinks they are at least okay.

And Allen is still much better than even Awake LaBrie, but whatever. You're right, what matters is how they are as a unit, and I'd still give that to Symphony X as they are better at focusing on something and making it meaningful while Dream Theater is all over the place. Sure, they don't do as much, but they do it damn well. I will admit I do actually have an album by Dream Theater while only a single from Symphony X, but that's mainly because Octavarium was album only and I just haven't settled on a Symphony X album.
28.04.2019 - 07:12
Dmuzkman
Symphony X incorporates their technique in in a way that fits the entire song. Dream Theater to me is technical just for the sake of being technical. Their technical interludes don't always fit into the song as well. Both bands have awesome musicianship and stylistically they really are not that close.
My breakdown of some of the players is as follows. Russell Allen blows James LeBrie off the stage... period! Not even close. But also DT does nothing in the way of vocal harmonies either. Nor have they ever.
Petrucci vrs Romeo comes down to which tone you like. Technically I think Romeo dusts Petrucci. His playing is almost neoclassical meets Shawn Lane. He even occasionally thiws in some legato techniques similar to Allen Holdsworth. Now that being said ...Petrucci does tend to have a beautiful tone which has some nice wet effects behind it, but he tends to be given space and more ballad types of things to develop his extended solos over. Petrucci does have some amazing solos in works like Shatttered Fortress. Also Petrucci likes to double up with Rudess on some pretty insane written out patterns. Michael Romeo has a dryer sound which some people don't like and rarely solos over slower tempos. As a guitar player myself and a classicaly trained pianist , I think Romeo has better fluidity in his solos. Romeo plays absolutely effortlessly. Petrucci is a buzz saw of a picker and his arpeggios seem more inspired off of the way Steve Morse plays them.
Both keyboardist Jordan Rudess and Michael Pinnella share a Julliard background. Ruddess is a great player and a master of incorperating everything his instrument can do. His videos are both informative and he is an incredibly well spoken man. He seems like he would be an incredible teacher. His synth solo style tends to annoy me however as over the top flashy, too much like trying to be a guitarist.
Jordan's piano work is superb however. Pinella really shines in becoming the one man orchestra
Not an easy feat given he has to recreate a lot of the stuff Romeo does with his Giga Studio works. He could use a little more variety in his synth solo patches which ironically he does on his solo albums. My favorite non jazz oriented keyboard players were Eddy Jobson and Mark Robertson of Cairo although I have no idea what he is doing these days. He incorporated more techniques you would see from an actual concert pianist ie octaves, thirds, sixths and a left hand as skilled as his right. After watching Andre Hamelin play the piano it is really hard to be impressed by most keyboard players. Bottom line the ability to play Chopin is considered almost entry level in terms of concert pianist requirements. I love that music myself. When you start pulling off Liszt and Alkan then we are talking. Sorry for my book. Keep up the good fight and the love for both of these bands.
04.11.2019 - 17:17
All Metal
I watched them both live in the same show in the original Gigantour created with Megadeth. I went for Dream Theater and I was big in to prog back then. At the time I preferred Dream Theater, though it could be that they put on a better light show. I liked Symphony X and nowadays I like more that style. Perhaps I would like them more now. I'm not voting.
06.07.2022 - 05:36
24emd
Theory Snob
Symphony X is boring to me, DT's even more commercial releases are better imo. Petrucci does much better guitar work than Romeo. SX albums for me are either half good half bad or all bad. DT releases are pretty much all good apart from a few weaker ones. Funny thing is, I would prefer power metal brought into it, but honestly SX does it all wrong.
----
"I am too stupid to be human, and I lack common sense." - Proverbs 30:2
"Music? Well, it's just entertainment, folks!" - Devin Townsend

Best 2024 Albums