05. Officer Nice
06. Subterfuge
07. Kill On Command
08. Phobophobia
09. Bodies On Bodies
10. I Profit
11. T.D.S. (Take It As You Will)
12. Parapalegic

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the quintessential thrash album. If you thought that Kill 'em All was relentless, then you obviously haven't heard this adrenaline-pumping masterpiece yet. Not even the pure speed and intensity of Reign in Blood can touch the fury of Vio-lence's 1988 debut album Eternal Nightmare. Led by present Machine Head guitarists Robb Flynn and Phil Demmel, along with the unique vocal contributions of Sean Killian, Eternal Nightmare is an album that will live on in thrash circles forever.

Now when I say quintessential thrash album, I'm not talking about an album with an inclusion of ballads or mid-tempo numbers. What I'm talking about is an album with the brutal crunch of overdriven guitars quickly slamming tremolo-picked, palm-muted riffs through your ears, one after another, with surprising fluency. I'm talking about an album with vocals that would make any singer on Broadway cower in fear. And of course, I'm talking about an album with lyrical content that is both terrifying and grotesque. With those credentials in mind, this album fits the bill better than any other thrash album.

From the opening track, it is clear that these credentials are met on Eternal Nightmare with an onslaught of powerful thrash and a twisted tale of the onset of insanity. "Phobophobia" is my personal favorite, as it contains an array of truly infectious riffs, along with a maniacal delivery of vocals by Sean Killian, who at times barks out the lyrics with impressive speed and ferocity on the track. "Kill on Command" wraps up the album well and brings it home with an all out speed metal assault in the final minute. But to be honest, words can't really do the songs justice. No properly placed adjective can truly encapsulate their power.

What really sets this album apart from others is the vocal performance by Sean Killian. At first listen, it might be enough to garner a chuckle out of the wildest metal lunatic. However, when the power of the production and songwriting come together, it truly makes for a unique experience. Killian does well to not only deliver the lyrics, but to deliver their essence. With all his heart and soul he spills out a truly insane and original performance that is worth noting even after an incidental laugh or two.

So once again, if you're looking for an album that defines the thrash genre, look no further than Eternal Nightmare. It is truly one of the more underrated metal albums ever made and a thrash classic that no metal fan should overlook.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 10

Written by Nosurper | 28.03.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 35   Visited by: 136 users
18.12.2011 - 22:17
Rating: 9
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
If I could, I'd rescore this album around an 8.9 or an even 9
----
18.12.2011 - 23:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Nosurper on 18.12.2011 at 22:17
If I could, I'd rescore this album around an 8.9 or an even 9

At least you still think it's in the range of brilliance.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.01.2013 - 19:34
Illog1cal
Account deleted
I prefer even Paul Baloff to Sean Killian, this guy makes me grate my teeth together. Underneath his less than impacting wailing I can hear some great, if generic, riffs, and the songs are put together in typical Bay Area form similar to the faster songs on 'Bonded By Blood'.
07.03.2014 - 20:33
Rating: 7
pkillerjp

A decent thrash album, that came in a few years too late. Some really good riffs scattered throughout the album, I'd give it a respectable 7. Over rated due to the fact that it was often looked over for more mainstream releases. Vocals hurt it a tad, especially over the length of the album.
05.11.2019 - 04:23
Rating: 10
Timelord

There is no such thing as "over rated"! When more people like it than those who don't doesn't make it over rated. I have no idea why people feel the need to say that whenever they don't like something. At the time of release and even now Eternal Nightmare just crushes! Along with several friends of mine at the time we already had our our free demos that were offered before EN was released. Paraplegic was included in the demo but not the album.

Hits total: 7665 | This month: 12