Metal Storm logo
Waltari - Yeah! Yeah! Die! Die! Death Metal Symphony In Deep C review

Bandcamp music player
Reviewer:

57 users:
Band: Waltari
Album: Yeah! Yeah! Die! Die! Death Metal Symphony In Deep C
Style: Alternative metal, Avantgarde metal, Symphonic death metal, Progressive thrash metal
Release date: May 1996

01. Misty Dreariness
02. A Sign
03. Deeper Into The Mud
04. The Struggle For Life And Death Of "Knowledge"
05. Completely Alone
06. Move
07. Time, Irrelevant
08. The Top
09. How Long Can U Go? [bonus]

I'm very shocked at how little well known this album by the Finnish Waltari is amongst the members of MetalStorm. When I was heard this album for the first time ten years ago it was for me something entirely new. I never heard anything like this previously, nor even after, too. It was a complete revelation for me and my surroundings, and this album has became almost a cult thing.

I´m not among the fans of this band, but this album is totally different from the others in their discography. It is a very interesting combination of genres. Slow instrumental passages are mixed with heavy death metal, followed by skips to the operatic heights. The music goes up and down, in a completely unexpected reversal, but always clearly and naturally. Songs continue to surprise from beginning to end, and change comes in often at quite unexpected moments.

The album starts with the instrumental "Misty Dreariness". There the band tries us to lull us to sleep with long violin rhythms and after six minutes, when you fall into the lethargic state, the sound of violins are overridden by a hard strike to the strings, and the music comes. In the dramatic finale, the orchestra and the hard tones of guitars drive to the next song. Here they come at us with full force. Harsh vocals alternate with a clean voice, as well as a woman's operatic voice. It is a really fantastic combination that perfectly meshes with each part with the others. Orchestra is expletory with the band in each tone...and so on. Every part of this album, is different than the part before, and the result is each one stands out on it's own.

You must hear this album, It is the only way to understand what I'm talking about, really. Waltari, together with a symphony orchestra, has done an excellent job, and "Yeah! Yeah! Die! Die?" should have a place among the best achievements in music history. It is just a big shame that the band didn't play anything else like this. I cannot do anything else other than to give almost the highest rating. While it is just my opinion, and not everyone will agree with it, I really think that album is a jewel.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 10

Written by Heart_of_METAL | 25.04.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 108 users
27.04.2009 - 05:32
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
This is actually one of the few symphonic death metal albums I enjoy and think it gives the likes of Therion a run for their money... It is nevertheless far from perfect, unfortunately. Although I like Kartsy's vocals in most of their other works, his trademark nasal approach simply doesn't fit with the majestic sound of this particular album. If they focused more on the basics here, that is symphony and death metal, the results would be completely stunning, as it is, the album is not very consistent....

Actually, their second attempt at mixing extreme metal with a symphony orchestra (and ballet), "Evangelicum" is even better, since they avoided the inconsistencies present in "Yeah, Yeah...."
Sadly, it has never been released in any shape or form as far as I know and all that remains is various low quality TV captures available on youtube...
27.04.2009 - 23:55
Rating: 10
AnarChrist

One of the most underrated symphonic metal (and maybe metal in general) albums indeed. I think it is better than anything that such well-known symphonic metal outfits like Haggard or Therion ever put out, even if it's quite different sounding compared to their works. Variety is the main key here, the combinations of old school death metal, mindblowing symphonic music, electronic sounds in some songs, and vocal styles ranging from usual clean vocals to growls to operatic singing to even some borderline rapping in one song - all of it fits together here supremely, though as jupitreas said, consistency is indeed a problem, mainly due to very long calm symphonic interludes in the second half of the album. But overall this is a fantastic album that is not quite like anything else you have come across, and listening to is advised if only for the adventure of it.
----
oh my fucking god, fucking dinosaurs
29.06.2010 - 02:18
Rating: 6
Asunder

The production, especially the symphonic parts, make it hard to me to really get into. Great album otherwise.
27.09.2012 - 15:00
Rating: 8
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
This album makes my brain melt like no other music... The lack of a coherent structure and the unexpected changes in rhythm, genre and style are a huge mindfuck.

Excellent album.
06.09.2016 - 18:00
Rating: 9
busodeLcueo

I personaLLy don't care much for the aLbum itseLf, but "move" is just amazing.

Hits total: 8738 | This month: 12