Metal Storm logo
Slipknot

Original post

Posted by tulkas, 14.07.2006 - 09:15
Outside metal one of my favorite bands is Slipknot. I really like it for all the ideology they transmit with their music and their lyrics, which I consider the best I´ve seen. The thing is, a lot of my friends bother me because they don´t like it for some reason, soooo I just wanted to hear your opinion about this band, whether you like it or not and why, and if there´s any other fans like me out there?
18.08.2011 - 06:50
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
I will admit, I like a few of their songs but this band is more important for serving as a gateway band than for the music it produced.
18.08.2011 - 12:22
Slayer666

Written by Guest on 18.08.2011 at 04:57

a band that released 7 albums that pioneered both the NWOBHM and power metal albums

And this is precisely why I'll always prefer the gimmicky Slipknot over the so-called "classic" Iron Maiden, Judas Priest etc.

Power metal I completely dislike and NWOBHM is kinda redundant nowadays. It may have been awesome and revolutionary back in the day, when Heavy and NWOBHM were, more-or-less, the only forms of metal. But now, when you've got over 2 dozen of different styles, genres, variations, combinations and such, why go back to the prototype? Metal has evolved, Maiden have not. It also doesn't help that all post-80's albums were lackluster at best, complete shit at worst. And as Joe said, no band deserves to live off fame it gathered 20 years ago when they haven't done anything redeeming in that time. Maiden have around 15 albums, all done in, more-or-less similar style. Slipknot have 4, but each represents a step forward in the band's sound. Granted, All Hope is Gone is generally disliked, but I find it awesome, if not as much as the other ones.

So, yeah. Iron Maiden gets my thanks for pioneering 2 genres I couldn't give a flying fuck about, while Slipknot was one of my "gateway" bands some 6 years ago, and, unlike other "gateway" bands of mine, I still enjoy them a lot.

Besides, Maiden's "Best of" compilations themselves are a reason to diss them.
18.08.2011 - 19:56
Void Eater
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 18.08.2011 at 12:22

a band that released 7 albums that pioneered both the NWOBHM and power metal albums

And this is precisely why I'll always prefer the gimmicky Slipknot over the so-called "classic" Iron Maiden, Judas Priest etc.

Power metal I completely dislike and NWOBHM is kinda redundant nowadays. It may have been awesome and revolutionary back in the day, when Heavy and NWOBHM were, more-or-less, the only forms of metal. But now, when you've got over 2 dozen of different styles, genres, variations, combinations and such, why go back to the prototype? Metal has evolved, Maiden have not. It also doesn't help that all post-80's albums were lackluster at best, complete shit at worst. And as Joe said, no band deserves to live off fame it gathered 20 years ago when they haven't done anything redeeming in that time. Maiden have around 15 albums, all done in, more-or-less similar style. Slipknot have 4, but each represents a step forward in the band's sound. Granted, All Hope is Gone is generally disliked, but I find it awesome, if not as much as the other ones.

So, yeah. Iron Maiden gets my thanks for pioneering 2 genres I couldn't give a flying fuck about, while Slipknot was one of my "gateway" bands some 6 years ago, and, unlike other "gateway" bands of mine, I still enjoy them a lot.

Besides, Maiden's "Best of" compilations themselves are a reason to diss them.

Well, I couldn't disagree more with you're idea of dismissing the prototype, when the NWOBHM churned out some great bands, but to each his own.
18.08.2011 - 21:39
X-Ray Rod
Skandino

Well my position has always been kind of like this: Respect the band for what they have done... Even though you totally dislike the music.
I mean, I would never say that Iron Maiden is a bad band, I just don't like them and they are redundant to this current time.
Same as black metal bands like Venom or Von... A lot of black metalheads do not like them at all but there's still a well-deserved respect for those bands for everything they did for the genre.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
18.08.2011 - 22:01
brapp32

I feel the same way mr. Doctor. I think you should respect the bands that helped pave the way for bands that you like today. Musically I think iron maiden are terrible. But I realize without maiden and other bands like them I wouldn't have all the music I like today.
19.08.2011 - 06:48
JCJen7

I am sorry to turn this in to an Iron Maiden thread, but I can't believe I am reading this stuff. Just because Maiden made their albums 30 years ago doesn't mean it sounds stale. 30 years ago, yes, it was innovative, and revolutionary. But you don't have to be able to appreciate that to like the music. Just listen to it. They are very talented musicians and songwriters. I can understand a person mot liking the music, but just because the music is older, doesn't mean it's worse.

And also, just because in the last 12 years, Slipknot has been arguably a better band, doesn't mean they are better at all. Why can't a band ride their legend from 20 years ago? Does that music get worse? When you think of Iron Maiden, why would you think of the 90's? Why not think of their best albums? The albums that define them! There is no reason to think of their worst stuff, because you can easily not listen to it.
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
19.08.2011 - 13:29
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by JCJen7 on 19.08.2011 at 06:48

I am sorry to turn this in to an Iron Maiden thread, but I can't believe I am reading this stuff. Just because Maiden made their albums 30 years ago doesn't mean it sounds stale. 30 years ago, yes, it was innovative, and revolutionary. But you don't have to be able to appreciate that to like the music. Just listen to it. They are very talented musicians and songwriters. I can understand a person mot liking the music, but just because the music is older, doesn't mean it's worse.

And also, just because in the last 12 years, Slipknot has been arguably a better band, doesn't mean they are better at all. Why can't a band ride their legend from 20 years ago? Does that music get worse? When you think of Iron Maiden, why would you think of the 90's? Why not think of their best albums? The albums that define them! There is no reason to think of their worst stuff, because you can easily not listen to it.

No one is saying that their older stuff is stale but that was a different era yet it was still the same band. It's my opinion that with every poor album a band releases it denigrates their image as a whole. If Maiden had stopped making albums a long, long time ago they'd have a much less tarnished vision of "legendary." I'm not one for legends anyway, I wasn't old enough to know them in their prime and I don't fall for this conglomeration of rippling internet fueled enthusiam that strikes younger generations and propagates the glory of their long gone past (even though they weren't there so it's not like those albums are necessarily affecting those people in the same way). I know Maiden release very average albums in my day and age and that's how I regard them. Average.
19.08.2011 - 13:40
Slayer666

Why can't a band ride their legend from 20 years ago?

Let's put it like this: I'm pretty sure your parents don't still praise you for the first time you went to the bathroom all by yourself. Sure, that was great back then, when you were a toddler. But now, all these years later, if you want praise, you'll have to do bigger and better things.
Same thing with Maiden. Great work at paving a path for so many other bands, but a lot of the bands that they paved the path for surpassed them. It's kind of a "student surpasses master" thing. It's important to know your history to appreciate the present, yes. But you also can't live in history either.

Even though Slipknot are mostly a cash-grab band that will quite likely be forgotten a few years after they disband (and keep in mind I'm a huge fan), they have something Maiden don't: progression. Each album is noticeably more evolved and better than the last, with the possible exclusion of All Hope is Gone, but, like I've said, I even consider that one great. Maiden keep doing pretty much the same thing for 30 years now. It's time to either take a step forward in their music, or stop putting out albums.

Anyway, that's just the way I see it. I'm sure there are thousands and thousands of people who like Maiden's, Motorhead's, AC/DC's etc. approach of churning out the same stuff over and over again, but I find that pretty boring after 3 albums, at the very most.
19.08.2011 - 17:09
JD
Account deleted
Why not starting a Slipknot VS Iron Maiden poll? or just let someone change the title of this thread
19.08.2011 - 17:20
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 19.08.2011 at 17:09

Why not starting a Slipknot VS Iron Maiden poll? or just let someone change the title of this thread

Who would you choose?
19.08.2011 - 17:24
JD
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 19.08.2011 at 17:20

Who would you choose?

Slipknot, I will even choose Nirvana over Iron Maiden.
19.08.2011 - 17:25
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 19.08.2011 at 17:24

Who would you choose?

I'd choose Maiden over any band in the world any day.
19.08.2011 - 18:23
Zombie94

Written by Guest on 18.08.2011 at 06:50

I will admit, I like a few of their songs but this band is more important for serving as a gateway band than for the music it produced.

Exactly. Slipknot is often THE band that mainstream music listeners associate with metal, largely because of the amount of exposure and publicity they've generated. And I have to admit that when I first listened to them I was under the impression that this was really hardcore and extreme metal. Since then my tastes and knowledge of metal have expanded and matured and I now find a lot of nu metal bands I used to think were the shit (Slipknot, Disturbed, Limp Bizkit etc.) are somewhat dull and generic and only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to this incredibly multi faceted and diverse form of music.
19.08.2011 - 21:43
X-Ray Rod
Skandino

Meh, not the first time this has happened. There's a Korn vs Dark Funeral poll somewhere.
----
Rod, let me love you.
19.08.2011 - 22:09
FinnishSammich

Written by Guest on 19.08.2011 at 17:25

Who would you choose?

I'd choose Maiden over any band in the world any day.

And I'd choose everything else over Iron Maiden
19.08.2011 - 22:58
JCJen7

Disclaimer: I am sorry if I mess up who I quote....I still don't perfectly understand it all.

I know Maiden release very average albums in my day and age and that's how I regard them. Average.

I just can't agree with that. Differant ways to look at music I suppose. I simply, don't listen to them in the 90's. I mean, it's all on CD, digital, and vinyl, I can listen to any Maiden album I want, and there is probably 10 albums or so that to me are fantastic. I listen to one of those. And they give me more enjoyment than Slipknot.

Written by Slayer666 on 19.08.2011 at 13:40

Why can't a band ride their legend from 20 years ago?

Let's put it like this: I'm pretty sure your parents don't still praise you for the first time you went to the bathroom all by yourself. Sure, that was great back then, when you were a toddler. But now, all these years later, if you want praise, you'll have to do bigger and better things.

Well, I sort of understand, however, I would call their first 7 albums quite superior to a kid shitting. To me, it's more like a kid hitting a hole in one in golfing, and doing it 7 times in a row. That, is always impressive. It was 30 years ago, it is now. And when you think of Maiden, you remember them as the band that hit all those great shots in the 80's. And, today, they're out there hittin' birdies!

Edit: Yep, I messed up. There should be some kind of class or directions for that! Anyways, Im trying to quote JOE on the first one, I'm not argueing with myself obviously.
----

CHECK THESE OUT
20.08.2011 - 01:42
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by FinnishSammich on 19.08.2011 at 22:09

You like Korn so I won't blame you.
22.08.2011 - 03:59
Mattybu

Obviously Slipknot is better than Iron Maiden there so much heavier and br00tal!!! I'm gonna go to hot topic and buy 666 Slipknot products just to show how hardcore I am!!!

lol you can disregard that as a sensible comment on Slipknot if you want but I for one hate the lot of 'em. And this comparison to Maiden is just wrong, what are you people doing?...
22.08.2011 - 13:27
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 20.08.2011 at 01:42

And you like Wintersun.

Wussy.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
22.08.2011 - 15:59
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 22.08.2011 at 13:27

And you like Wintersun.

Wussy.

What's wrong with Wintersun?
22.08.2011 - 17:15
FinnishSammich

Written by Mattybu on 22.08.2011 at 03:59

And this comparison to Maiden is just wrong, what are you people doing?...

Having opinions?
22.08.2011 - 18:37
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by FinnishSammich on 22.08.2011 at 17:15
Having opinions?

But his opinion is the right one, the rest of us are wrong.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.08.2011 - 18:49
Slayer666

Having opinions?

But if your opinion strays from the opinion of the majority, like if you think that Iron Maiden < Slipknot in any way, it's null and void, and you're automatically a moron. True fact.
23.08.2011 - 00:07
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Slayer666 on 22.08.2011 at 18:49

Having opinions?

But if your opinion strays from the opinion of the majority, like if you think that Iron Maiden < Slipknot in any way, it's null and void, and you're automatically a moron. True fact.

Quoting one of the best guys who ever lived:

Quote:
Personally, when it comes to rights, I think one of two things is true. I think either we have unlimited rights, or we have no rights at all. Personally I lean towards unlimited rights, I feel for instance I have the right to do anything I please, BUT! If I do something you don't like I think you have the right to kill me. So where are you gonna find a fairer fucking deal than that? So the next time some asshole says to you "I have the right to my opinion." You say, "oh yeah? Well I have the right to my opinion and my opinion is you have no right to your opinion!" then shoot the fuck and walk away?
----
Rod, let me love you.
23.08.2011 - 09:41
JCJen7

Written by X-Ray Rod on 23.08.2011 at 00:07

Quoting one of the best guys who ever lived:

Personally, when it comes to rights, I think one of two things is true. I think either we have unlimited rights, or we have no rights at all. Personally I lean towards unlimited rights, I feel for instance I have the right to do anything I please, BUT! If I do something you don't like I think you have the right to kill me. So where are you gonna find a fairer fucking deal than that? So the next time some asshole says to you "I have the right to my opinion." You say, "oh yeah? Well I have the right to my opinion and my opinion is you have no right to your opinion!" then shoot the fuck and walk away?

I might as well indulge.

Written by FinnishSammich on 17.08.2011 at 22:48

Written by Guest on 17.08.2011 at 22:50

Slipknot > Iron Gayden IMO

Count me in too.

----

CHECK THESE OUT
23.08.2011 - 10:47
JD
Account deleted
Trying to kill us twice? "double post"
24.08.2011 - 01:29
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 22.08.2011 at 15:59

Written by vezzy on 22.08.2011 at 13:27

And you like Wintersun.

Wussy.

What's wrong with Wintersun?

Absolutely nothing. Vezzy get's butt hurt about them.
24.08.2011 - 02:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
There's nothing wrong with Wintersun aside from being a very average metal band with an inordinately large fanbase. It happens a lot in metal.
24.08.2011 - 03:24
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 24.08.2011 at 01:29

At least they're more metal than Slipknot.
24.08.2011 - 03:37
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 24.08.2011 at 03:24

Written by Guest on 24.08.2011 at 01:29

At least they're more metal than Slipknot.

Prove it. You seem to know the formula for what constitutes how metal something is.

Mass internet opinion is not fact btw.