Metal Storm logo
Slipknot

Original post

Posted by tulkas, 14.07.2006 - 09:15
Outside metal one of my favorite bands is Slipknot. I really like it for all the ideology they transmit with their music and their lyrics, which I consider the best I´ve seen. The thing is, a lot of my friends bother me because they don´t like it for some reason, soooo I just wanted to hear your opinion about this band, whether you like it or not and why, and if there´s any other fans like me out there?
24.08.2011 - 04:00
Mattybu

Written by FinnishSammich on 22.08.2011 at 17:15

Written by Mattybu on 22.08.2011 at 03:59

And this comparison to Maiden is just wrong, what are you people doing?...

Having opinions?

No I mean why are they even getting compared? They're pretty much opposites on the spectrum of metal, why? WHYY?????

And realistically I'm too lazy to quote him but, Troy Gallant, to those who think Slipknot is better than Iron Maiden, I will gladly disregard that and every other opinion they ever have, that's all I'm saying. On a purely "which is better music" scale, because they are obviously worlds apart in terms of genre.
24.08.2011 - 04:46
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 24.08.2011 at 03:37

Written by Guest on 24.08.2011 at 03:24

Written by Guest on 24.08.2011 at 01:29

Absolutely nothing. Vezzy get's butt hurt about them.

At least they're more metal than Slipknot.

Prove it. You seem to know the formula for what constitutes how metal something is.

Mass internet opinion is not fact btw.

Not to feed this off-topicness any further, but I think this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y24MmylTeY4 quite fits the atmosphere in this discussion.
24.08.2011 - 11:44
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Mattybu on 24.08.2011 at 04:00

I will gladly disregard that and every other opinion they ever have, that's all I'm saying.

Sorry mate, thaty's pretty douche from your part.
Some people just preffer other music. In my case... I just don't like heavy metal at all except some Motörhead here and there. We don't say that Iron Maiden is a bad band, if someone said that, quote him please. Saying that a band is bad and that you just don't like them is a total different thing.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
24.08.2011 - 13:20
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Mattybu on 22.08.2011 at 03:59

And this comparison to Maiden is just wrong, what are you people doing?...

I agree, totally meaningless comparison. Regardless of whether you can judge a band by their 'metalness' what does comparing Iron Maiden with Slipknot achieve? They're totally different musically.

The only thing I can think of which can be remotely comparable between the two is their popularity.
24.08.2011 - 14:05
JD
Account deleted
Pfffft, for how long will this continue?
25.08.2011 - 01:01
Mattybu

Written by X-Ray Rod on 24.08.2011 at 11:44

Written by Mattybu on 24.08.2011 at 04:00

I will gladly disregard that and every other opinion they ever have, that's all I'm saying.

Sorry mate, thaty's pretty douche from your part.
Some people just preffer other music. In my case... I just don't like heavy metal at all except some Motörhead here and there. We don't say that Iron Maiden is a bad band, if someone said that, quote him please. Saying that a band is bad and that you just don't like them is a total different thing.

I don't see how it's a douche move, someone saying Slipknot (of all the tripe out there Slipknot!) is better than Iron Maiden I can pretty much confer that their opinions are going to be totally off from mine, so why would I value them or regard them as something worth reading... Maybe I was exaggerating when I said "every opinion ever" but for the most part I can be certain that their opinions will be different from mine. And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, I'm not gonna say man if you like Slipknot you're an idiot, I'm gonna say man I hate Slipknot and don't understand the appeal but if you like them whatever. Not really being a douche. Being a douche would be bashing someone for an opinion, and I don't bash people, I bash Slipknot (or whatever the band may be).

And realistically, like I said in my first post it makes 0.000000000000000 iotas of sense comparing to Slipknot to Iron Maiden anyways, even by popularity, I'm pretty sure the fans of each are very different crowds.
25.08.2011 - 01:11
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Then use your words carefully as they did sound kind of douchy.

Written by Mattybu on 25.08.2011 at 01:01

And realistically, like I said in my first post it makes 0.000000000000000 iotas of sense comparing to Slipknot to Iron Maiden anyways, even by popularity, I'm pretty sure the fans of each are very different crowds.

You should have seen the Korn vs Dark Funeral thread. Hilarious. It's not impossible to compare bands like those though. It's just a matter of "do you preffer..." and with that sentence you can compare anything tbh.
----
Rod, let me love you.
25.08.2011 - 01:15
Mattybu

Written by X-Ray Rod on 25.08.2011 at 01:11

Then use your words carefully as they did sound kind of douchy.

Written by Mattybu on 25.08.2011 at 01:01

You should have seen the Korn vs Dark Funeral thread. Hilarious. It's not impossible to compare bands like those though. It's just a matter of "do you preffer..." and with that sentence you can compare anything tbh.

You've gotta be kidding me... Hehe, I think I'll start a Motley Crue vs Morbid Angel thread! Or maybe Stryper vs Decide... Wait that would almost work
25.08.2011 - 01:21
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Mattybu on 25.08.2011 at 01:15

You've gotta be kidding me... Hehe, I think I'll start a Motley Crue vs Morbid Angel thread! Or maybe Stryper vs Decide... Wait that would almost work

The Korn vs Dark Funeral thread had a great origin though... also a purpose. It was created by a guy that knows his black metal and said (and I agree with him) that Dark Funeral is just generic and boring black metal, he posted that in the band's thread I believe. I don't know how but it went to the point that he said "I take Korn over Dark Funeral anyday.... they were at least original" (which is true). That's why he created the poll. It's far more interesting and intelligent that most polls around here tbh
----
Rod, let me love you.
25.08.2011 - 05:58
Metal_4Ever

Why do people hate Slipknot?
25.08.2011 - 10:08
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Metal_4Ever on 25.08.2011 at 05:58

Exactly the same reason you hate any band, you really don't like their music.
25.08.2011 - 13:02
Metal_4Ever

Written by R'Vannith on 25.08.2011 at 10:08

But there's something wrong, I think Slipknot is hated by metalstormer and here is a proof http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=61
25.08.2011 - 13:14
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Metal_4Ever on 25.08.2011 at 13:02

Written by R'Vannith on 25.08.2011 at 10:08

But there's something wrong, I think Slipknot is hated by metalstormer and here is a proof http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=61

As I see it I suppose it has something to do with the popularity of hating this particular band. Slipknot is popular among a number of people who like that sort of music, and among numbers of people who like other forms of music, specifically metal, it is also popular to dislike the band. Now whether this popular dislike is based on anything of merit is another matter.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is as popular to dislike Slipknot's music just as much as it is to like it.
25.08.2011 - 14:30
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Metal_4Ever on 25.08.2011 at 13:02

Oh man... Are you serious? This is worse than using Wikipedia a source.

The main reason to why Slipknot is hated by the metal community (why are you just saying metalstormer here?) is because:
- They don't like the music
- A lot of them feel cool and tough saying that they hate the band, which is pathetic btw.
- They are extremely popular, which to so people is bad because they say that Slipknot gives metal a bad name.

There are other reasons though.
----
Rod, let me love you.
25.08.2011 - 16:02
JD
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 25.08.2011 at 14:30

- A lot of them feel cool and tough saying that they hate the band, which is pathetic btw.

[Like]

(I'm just trying it maybe it's cooler than +1)
25.08.2011 - 18:28
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 24.08.2011 at 03:37

Written by Guest on 24.08.2011 at 03:24

Written by Guest on 24.08.2011 at 01:29

Absolutely nothing. Vezzy get's butt hurt about them.

At least they're more metal than Slipknot.

Prove it. You seem to know the formula for what constitutes how metal something is.

Mass internet opinion is not fact btw.

like (i hit the button if there was one)
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
25.08.2011 - 18:46
Mattybu

Written by X-Ray Rod on 25.08.2011 at 01:21

Written by Mattybu on 25.08.2011 at 01:15

The Korn vs Dark Funeral thread had a great origin though... also a purpose. It was created by a guy that knows his black metal and said (and I agree with him) that Dark Funeral is just generic and boring black metal, he posted that in the band's thread I believe. I don't know how but it went to the point that he said "I take Korn over Dark Funeral anyday.... they were at least original" (which is true). That's why he created the poll. It's far more interesting and intelligent that most polls around here tbh

Well you could do that with all kinds of bands. There's generic and original bands in every genre, it's like saying Primus is better than Cannibal Corpse. Do I get intelligence points for the comparison, because CC has more fans but Primus is 100007x more original. But they're not the same genre, that's the only thing that confuses me, because then the basis for comparison only has to be originality, and then you might as well throw movies, food, socks, or anything else you could judge the originality of into the mix.

Also to answer the age old question of why do people hate Slipknot: Hold on, Slipknot fans, why do you even care!? PEOPLE EQUALS SHIT, PEOPLE EQUALS SHIT, PEOPLE EQUALS SHIT! GRR!!

That's a hilariously bad song by the way
25.08.2011 - 18:57
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Mattybu on 25.08.2011 at 18:46

Also to answer the age old question of why do people hate Slipknot: Hold on, Slipknot fans, why do you even care!? PEOPLE EQUALS SHIT, PEOPLE EQUALS SHIT, PEOPLE EQUALS SHIT! GRR!!

You mean lyrically bad song, like 90% of the rest of metal. Song-wise it's really quite good.
25.08.2011 - 18:59
Mattybu

Written by Guest on 25.08.2011 at 18:57

You mean lyrically bad song, like 90% of the rest of metal. Song-wise it's really quite good.

Man not that I'm saying they're the only problem, but when the lyrics of your song are that bad...

25.08.2011 - 19:02
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Mattybu on 25.08.2011 at 18:59

Man not that I'm saying they're the only problem, but when the lyrics of your song are that bad...

Maybe you just need to take life a bit less seriously. Frankly Nu Metal (if we're calling them that here) is one of the more fun genres of metal compared to the serious business of most of the others.
25.08.2011 - 19:06
Mattybu

Written by Guest on 25.08.2011 at 19:02

Written by Mattybu on 25.08.2011 at 18:59

Maybe you just need to take life a bit less seriously. Frankly Nu Metal (if we're calling them that here) is one of the more fun genres of metal compared to the serious business of most of the others.

Well, I don't know, but all the lyrics of that song are just like angst teen angry about stuff lyrics, and to me Slipknot with their (lame) costumes and general appearance they put off try to seem like a bunch of badasses or something (and if that is what they are trying they fail)... They don't seem like a "fun" band... If I want some less serious lyrics I will gladly listen to Anthrax's Among the Living though, because that album has a fun side but is still awesome.
26.08.2011 - 11:40
Slayer666

It's quite obvious you've never listened to that song while hammered out of your mind. Because mind = raped in that case.

And don't dis the band for its lyrics, man. They're supposed to write music, not poetry. Most of the bands in your Favorite list aren't exactly Byron material, you know.
26.08.2011 - 12:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Slayer666 on 26.08.2011 at 11:40

And don't dis the band for its lyrics, man. They're supposed to write music, not poetry. Most of the bands in your Favorite list aren't exactly Byron material, you know.

Yeah I found his cmment funny as well due to his fav bands and especially the band in his avatar.
Not that I mind shitty lyrics. If I did I shouldn't be listening to metal.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.08.2011 - 20:14
@gent_-_orange

Havent listened to this band for ages... They are a good gateway Band into more extreme stuff and I respect them for that,
I mean damn... I would be lying if I said that I didn't worship them fanatically when I was younger. I bet a fair few of us wouldn't be listening to metal today if it wasn't for bands like them.
27.08.2011 - 22:37
Mattybu

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.08.2011 at 12:13

Written by Slayer666 on 26.08.2011 at 11:40

Yeah I found his cmment funny as well due to his fav bands and especially the band in his avatar.
Not that I mind shitty lyrics. If I did I shouldn't be listening to metal.

Man the avatar is a joke... You really think I like the album Metal Magic by Pantera?... The only song I like by them is the one that was in a Spongebob episode, and only because it was in a Spongebob episode

Also Slayer666, I can dis the band for the lyrics as much as I want, they do suck you know.
04.09.2011 - 10:51
JasusaChrusta

I AM HAAATEEEEDDDD

That one song is why I liked Slipknot when I was like 12.
01.10.2011 - 04:54
S.I.T.A
Account deleted
Hahahah. Good old slipknot aye? What the hell?
27.11.2011 - 20:53
MetalicIron

Best band ever! but this band would be nothing without the beer can guy.
----
/m\ METAL /m\
27.11.2011 - 20:55
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I think their best musician is the guy who dances on the drums.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
28.11.2011 - 00:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.11.2011 at 20:55

I think their best musician is the guy who dances on the drums.

Nah.

Only really good musician they have is Joey Jordison. It's just a shame he wastes his talents in this pile of crap. The guy is an immensely good drummer who drums all sorts of styles and runs rings round almost all metal drummers.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996