Metal Storm logo
Slipknot

Original post

Posted by tulkas, 14.07.2006 - 09:15
Outside metal one of my favorite bands is Slipknot. I really like it for all the ideology they transmit with their music and their lyrics, which I consider the best I´ve seen. The thing is, a lot of my friends bother me because they don´t like it for some reason, soooo I just wanted to hear your opinion about this band, whether you like it or not and why, and if there´s any other fans like me out there?
06.06.2012 - 22:00
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Slayer666 on 06.06.2012 at 21:23
Not me, although the fact that Slipknot are brilliant live still stands. But you can't really "feel" the performance while watching a video. Actually being there truly highlights their performance (though I suppose that's true for any band).

That is very true, so it's just a testament to how good they are live, that a simple live stream made someone who didn't like them acknowledge that they are great live. But Slipknot are like Slayer in that regard, where lots of people who are not really fans of the band, think they are amazing in a live setting. Say what you like about Slipknot, but they have such an intense energy onstage, and give absolutely everything into their live performance. Which is something that has to be admired, even if you're not a fan of their music.
25.07.2012 - 17:43
artking01

Slipknot here is actually really popular. I barely know people who doesn't like Slipknot who listens to metal. For me, they are one of the best metal bands. Awesome lyrics = awesome music.
----
Embarrass your competition
Buy Facebook Fans & Twitter Followers
www.FanAnimal.com
25.07.2012 - 17:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by artking01 on 25.07.2012 at 17:43
I barely know people who doesn't like Slipknot who listens to metal.

You must not know a lot of people online.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.07.2012 - 17:58
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.07.2012 at 17:47

Yup! From my own personal experience of metalheads online, most hate Slipknot. And most of them don't even regard Slipknot as even being metal at all...
28.07.2012 - 20:22
axelx666

I'll never understand why people hate slipknot, they are one of my favorite bands of all time..

i mean if it has screaming, and awesome rifts, IT'S METAL! (well not really but you get what im saying) (not to mention kick-ass.)

most metal-heads i know in RL, love slipknot. you either love them or hate them. can't be in the middle evidently. -shrugs-
----
"they can't stop us,let them try,for heavy metal we will die"
"on olemassa asioita karmivimmat yönä olen yksi heistä."
" we are the new bucolic,we are the pulse of the maggots"
"END"
29.07.2012 - 05:05
Numbskull

I saw them last Saturday (21st of July) in Chicago. I've never been a fan of the studio stuff; but, they are entertaining live. I definitely don't hate them or have a problem with their fans.
29.07.2012 - 10:17
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Numbskull on 29.07.2012 at 05:05

they are entertaining live. I definitely don't hate them or have a problem with their fans.

Said by "a recent cheered fan who came from their concert". True. I remember when I came back from Download(2002) watching Slipknot, I was fucking physically charged and I know how am I to the extreme started praising Slipknot in pretty weird way that my friends were like "Bro, you talking for hours, "Get off". It was pretty embarrassing. Now, Slipknot aren't great enough in live no matter what. Only Joey and Shawn are just great in live shows, other than that, all are red ass maggots.
17.08.2012 - 21:34
Lit.
Account deleted
Burn on Cynic. I saw them at Mayhem. I stand by what I said. Hell, they've impressed me enough that I wanna go out and buy that best of they released.
17.08.2012 - 22:02
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Guest on 17.08.2012 at 21:34

Burn on Cynic. I saw them at Mayhem. I stand by what I said. Hell, they've impressed me enough that I wanna go out and buy that best of they released.

Then don't stop yourself bro. Go ahead.
19.08.2012 - 13:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 29.07.2012 at 10:17

Said by "a recent cheered fan who came from their concert." True. I remember when I came back from Download(2002) watching Slipknot

Who are you quoting?

Not only did Download not exist in 2002, Slipknot didn't play there until 2005. I was there incidentally.
19.08.2012 - 17:01
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Guest on 19.08.2012 at 13:21

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 29.07.2012 at 10:17

Said by "a recent cheered fan who came from their concert." True. I remember when I came back from Download(2002) watching Slipknot

Who are you quoting?

Not only did Download not exist in 2002, Slipknot didn't play there until 2005. I was there incidentally.

Phew! again cynic? My mistake. I was in 2006. Apologies.
19.08.2012 - 17:12
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 19.08.2012 at 17:01

Oh yeah 2006 Download. I was at that one too. It rained shitloads that weekend.
19.08.2012 - 17:28
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Guest on 19.08.2012 at 17:12

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 19.08.2012 at 17:01

Oh yeah 2006 Download. I was at that one too. It rained shitloads that weekend.

Yeah. I was with my dad. It was my dad's last concert to any Metal band( due to some reason*).

* I won't forget that year too when we kicked out by mom for 5 days for participating in moshpit. ( No no, I wasn't into that).
16.09.2012 - 21:28
Angry Chair

I like slipknot, the people that hate on them are elitists.
----
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot
18.09.2012 - 01:25
Zombie94

Written by Angry Chair on 16.09.2012 at 21:28

Hating Slipknot (or indeed any nu-metal bands) does not make you an elitist..
18.09.2012 - 01:59
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Zombie94 on 18.09.2012 at 01:25

It doesn't, though a lot of the critiques I see of Slipknot and nu-metal bands in general have a large basis in frivilous reasons none of which pertain directly to the music. This automatically makes me wary of the integrity and honesty of such opinions. I also find it amusing that many critiques of Slipknot are very immature in nature, all the while claiming that they are music for kids/teens. Of course, there are some people who just genuinely don't like their music, purely based on the music and that alone, and that is not elitism. But, I think you need to have blinkers on to deny that there is an element within the metal fanbase whose main gripe with bands like Slipknot is based on frivilous, non-musical elements, and then dismiss the music purely (or at least primarily) based upon those elements.
18.09.2012 - 17:30
Angry Chair

I agree with you. I also have no memory of writing that comment and its something that I would not say. Strange maybe I left my computer on this forum on and I have lots of family members that use the computer.
----
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot
18.09.2012 - 19:07
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Angry Chair on 18.09.2012 at 17:30

I agree with you. I also have no memory of writing that comment and its something that I would not say. Strange maybe I left my computer on this forum on and I have lots of family members that use the computer.

Strange. But why your family thinks hating slipknot makes elitist?
18.09.2012 - 20:35
Angry Chair

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 18.09.2012 at 19:07

Written by Angry Chair on 18.09.2012 at 17:30

Strange. But why your family thinks hating slipknot makes elitist?

Agreed, have been asking and they have all denied it. I must have wrote it even though that's dosent sound like something I would put and I have no memory of it. I am really confused. When I read the comment I checked the name of the poster several times in disbelief. We shall just have to say its me in the end as there is no other answer.

Anyway have a good day while I puzzle the depths of my brain in search of an answer.
----
- Denis Diderot
19.09.2012 - 08:38
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Just relax. You don't need to push your brain cells to the extreme to get exploded like fucking water melon or something. But, i really don't think so that hating slipknot makes elitist or yells "THAT"S TOO MAINSTREAM FELLA" because they really have reasons(strong?) to be hated.

So, are you excited for their forthcoming album??
19.09.2012 - 14:11
Zombie94

Written by Angelic Storm on 18.09.2012 at 01:59

It doesn't, though a lot of the critiques I see of Slipknot and nu-metal bands in general have a large basis in frivilous reasons none of which pertain directly to the music. This automatically makes me wary of the integrity and honesty of such opinions. I also find it amusing that many critiques of Slipknot are very immature in nature, all the while claiming that they are music for kids/teens. Of course, there are some people who just genuinely don't like their music, purely based on the music and that alone, and that is not elitism. But, I think you need to have blinkers on to deny that there is an element within the metal fanbase whose main gripe with bands like Slipknot is based on frivilous, non-musical elements, and then dismiss the music purely (or at least primarily) based upon those elements.

Wow, it sounds like you're writing a theses on this hehe

Yes a lot of immature people jump on the bandwagon of hate for Slipknot for no good reason. However the other side to that are the immature fans of Slipknot and other nu-metal bands, who can't accept that some people dislike their favorite bands for legitimate reasons, and label anyone who does as an elitist, or a metal hipster etc.

And just to clarify - I am not one of the people who hates Slipknot. I used to think they were super heavy and one of the most talented bands in the metal genre. But having listened to more music since then, I find that when I come back to listen to Slipknot it feels very watered down, formulaic and overly simple. And I don't think that it's any coincidence that a lot of metalheads who started out listening to bands like Slipknot/Disturbed/Korn begin to dislike them more and more as they listen to more metal music. That being said, I think Slipknot are very good at writing catchy songs and so I stick on Vol III from time to time if I'm at the gym. But the earlier work which seemed to prioritise 'extremity' sounds pretty poor to me nowadays.
21.09.2012 - 23:01
Chaosjunkie

Im new here. this is my first post.

slipknot and other "nu" metal bands do get a bad rap. i cant lie i listened to slipknot when their self titled came out. since then ive grown into heavier and heavier music. bands like slipknot are what they are. if you like them then listen to them. i would never bash someone because they like a band that i dont. i dont understand the elitism that some metalheads think they are entitled to. for the most part "nu" metal should be praised for the simple fact that it introduces young people to heavier music and just might open the door to even heavier music.

slipknot live: when i was 16-17 years old i saw them at ozzfest. they were good if memory serves but i had never heard them before so who really knows how good their show was. i did see them this year at mayhem (went to see motorhead and slayer) and they werent all that good. in their defense festivals normally always sound like crap. idk maybe i could take them more seriously if they took the masks off. idk
02.01.2013 - 14:31
Metalandy92

Written by Angelic Storm on 25.07.2012 at 17:58

Yup! From my own personal experience of metalheads online, most hate Slipknot. And most of them don't even regard Slipknot as even being metal at all...

Shitknot is not metal at all.
They should be labeled shit

Have you ever hear surfacing that song is terrible,worst intro ever.
And why the fuck is there 1 305 789 members in the band?
02.01.2013 - 18:21
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Metalandy92 on 02.01.2013 at 14:31

Written by Angelic Storm on 25.07.2012 at 17:58

Have you ever hear surfacing that song is terrible,worst intro ever.
And why the fuck is there 1 305 789 members in the band?

*dropkick on your face*

Slipknot's success is much more than your age. It's too banal that they just got bashed up by some hating chauvinist metalheads over their downgrading musical directions. But, it's too irritating to call "Slipknot is shit". You don't have a fucking rights to label them as "Shit".

Don't forget they're great live and have strong fucking fan following than you could ever counted your legit ancestors.
02.01.2013 - 18:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Metalandy92 on 02.01.2013 at 14:31

totally agreed they are shit, and this is putting it mildly.
But they were and still are totally metal. No matter what you think of the band's music.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.01.2013 - 19:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Angry 15 year old Norwegian Rhapsody Of Fire fan denounces Slipknot's metal status.

The world keeps on spinning.
02.01.2013 - 19:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 02.01.2013 at 19:34

Angry 15 year old Norwegian Rhapsody Of Fire fan

you forgot to mention pop such as Sabaton and Luca Turrilli (solo)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.01.2013 - 19:38
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.01.2013 at 19:36

I did spot them actually and just figured a fan of Rhapsody covers most forms of cheesy pop, though then again I haven't listened to either of those that extensively.
02.01.2013 - 19:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 02.01.2013 at 19:38

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.01.2013 at 19:36

I did spot them actually and just figured a fan of Rhapsody covers most forms of cheesy pop, though then again I haven't listened to either of those that extensively.

actually Sabato is ten times worse than Rhapsody in my books when it comes to souped up pop music.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.01.2013 - 19:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.01.2013 at 19:39

actually Sabato is ten times worse than Rhapsody in my books when it comes to souped up pop music.

I'll take your word on that