Metal Storm logo
Slipknot

Original post

Posted by tulkas, 14.07.2006 - 09:15
Outside metal one of my favorite bands is Slipknot. I really like it for all the ideology they transmit with their music and their lyrics, which I consider the best I´ve seen. The thing is, a lot of my friends bother me because they don´t like it for some reason, soooo I just wanted to hear your opinion about this band, whether you like it or not and why, and if there´s any other fans like me out there?
20.09.2006 - 15:43
marinBG
Written by Guest on 19.07.2006 at 23:11
BUT, it's not a brutal band (i m tired of hearing this)

IOWA was pretty brutal imo... most of the stuff on this album is pure brutality, dude! wtf?!?
----
...cause I don't give a fuck if you hate me!
20.09.2006 - 20:42
Quardt
Account deleted
Written by marinBG on 20.09.2006 at 15:43

IOWA was pretty brutal imo... most of the stuff on this album is pure brutality, dude! wtf?!?

i dont think its brutal either have you ever heard cannibal corpse? or other death metal bands thats brutal
20.09.2006 - 21:40
Baz Anderson
Staff
no. if you think 'Iowa' is 'brutal' then you should really go and listen to some Cryptopsy and such stuff
Slipknot is just the band that might ease you into more extreme metal
21.09.2006 - 00:01
Dam3k
That mask "show" it's fair enough for me... -.- hehe
----

21.09.2006 - 00:08
Streetcleaner
Account deleted

Yeap... I'm not a Slipknot fan, but I know that they have NOTHING to envy in terms of brutality to ANY Metal band...
21.09.2006 - 00:47
marinBG
Written by Guest on 20.09.2006 at 20:42

i dont think its brutal either have you ever heard cannibal corpse? or other death metal bands thats brutal

of course I've heard Cannibal Corpse... That was the first metal band I started to listen to actually, so I don't really think that I need to be "eased out" into the havier stuff... they are brutal in a bit of a differnt way... but I don't think they are really that much more brutal than SlipKnot... what do Cannibal Corpse have that SlipKnot don't? Cause I can mention a lot of things SlipKnot have and Cannibal Corpse don't... common man, you have to admit it... don't talk before you've listened... there are songs, especially on IOWA that are brutal as hell, with the blast beats, the brutal downtuned riffs and 3 peopel screaming... and on top of that having two more sets of percusion that defentenly do not lithen up the mood... SlipKnot are brutal as hell and the only reason one wouldn't admit for me would be that they either didn't listen at all to them or were prejudiced when they did it... open your years and listen to People=shit and Disasterpiece and come and tell me again they are not brutal... OK, maybe there are a few bands that are more brutal than them, but that doen't change the fact that they are prety fucking brutal... and for me personally they are brutal in a much more interesting way than Cannibal Corpse for example...

Written by Guest on 21.09.2006 at 00:08
Yeap... I'm not a Slipknot fan, but I know that they have NOTHING to envy in terms of brutality to ANY Metal band...

very concise and very true.... that's it!
----
...cause I don't give a fuck if you hate me!
21.09.2006 - 01:18
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
The early stuff is "listenable", but it pure shit now days.... 100% sold out, I saw an intreview with them.... I honestly, it didnt surprise me when the lead singer said "Well I think its better to kids be mushing in our conserts, because I mean its a type of exercise" WTF was that?
----
21.09.2006 - 15:10
Warman
Erotic Stains
I do dislike this band, but man ... Joey Jordison sure is one hell of a drummer!
----
21.09.2006 - 18:26
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Warman on 21.09.2006 at 15:10

I do dislike this band, but man ... Joey Jordison sure is one hell of a drummer!

I suppose you dont know who Derek Roddy or Flo Mouriner is then.
21.09.2006 - 20:01
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 21.09.2006 at 18:26

Written by Warman on 21.09.2006 at 15:10

I suppose you dont know who Derek Roddy or Flo Mouriner is then.

First, he never said that Jordison is THE best drummer and second, Slipknot's drummer IS one of the best ever. You can't deny that.
21.09.2006 - 20:18
Valentin B
Iconoclast
that guy is one heck of a drum machine...but being the best in the world is an unbelievably vague cathegorization
he's one of the best though.he could be in the top 10 all time best drummers
22.09.2006 - 00:08
Basso
Account deleted
I do agree that he is a very skilled drummer. But not that he is among the world ranks.

On a sidenote : I would like to add that I was once myself a slipknot fan, and I do not dislike slipknots music. I still do enjoy it at times. But the Subliminal Verses isnt really something I cheer for.
22.09.2006 - 05:17
Ibanez07
Account deleted
I don't know about one of the best...but he's definitely one of my favirotes. Definitely one of the quickest, and has an amazing set. Apparently he can shred on guitar too...but I don't really listen to the Murderdolls.
22.09.2006 - 07:18
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
lol I don't think the Murderdolls shred much...

I guess Joey is an above average drummer, but I can name 374 drummers that would put him to shame.
23.09.2006 - 15:36
DyNo!!
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 22.09.2006 at 07:18

lol I don't think the Murderdolls shred much...

I guess Joey is an above average drummer, but I can name 374 drummers that would put him to shame.

yes. i agree... he's fast but nothing more... for me a drummer has to be CREATIVE. There are thousand and more drummers that can play, or write, music like joey jordison... i think he's damn overrated!
23.09.2006 - 18:56
Baz Anderson
Staff
yeh - this is one thing i have never understood
why does everyone think Joey is such an amazing drummer
i guess because they are so commercial now all the people who like them dont know about the world of extreme metal so just wont know about the standard or drumming of todays extreme metal
so they just think Joey is so amazing without looking further into better drummers

i never thought he was spectacular. of course you need skill to do the things he does but there are way more drummers that could out-drum him
23.09.2006 - 21:45
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by 4look4rd on 21.09.2006 at 01:18

The early stuff is "listenable", but it pure shit now days.... 100% sold out, I saw an intreview with them.... I honestly, it didnt surprise me when the lead singer said "Well I think its better to kids be mushing in our conserts, because I mean its a type of exercise" WTF was that?

If you mean early stuff counting the self-title, this work can also be seen as them selling out for they kept from doing solos there after the orders of their producer at the time.

Moshing can be an exercise, why not? You run, you kick, you make punches, etc. Any type of movement can be considered as an exercise. Plus moshing can let some stress, anger and rage behind what can be consider kind of healthy (I don't mosh myself though).

Slipknot is indeed heavy and that is undeniable. They would be the heaviest band I have heard in Nu Metal within the Nu Metal aspects of part of their music. Joey Jordison comes to be the most important figure of the band I would say, because his skills can rival drummers from other genres; unfortunately the music that Slipknot makes as a whole, to me, restraints what Joey could play if he were in another band which played a different subgenre of Metal. It is possible that Jordison could surprise us far more in other circumstances, in another band which plays a more extreme type of Metal which can allow him to fully give his potential. I know that Jordison participates in the writing of the songs in Slipknot, but what I mean with having him in another band which can let him give his total potential is about having him in a band in which he knows that his drumming has to be faster, faster than what he wants to achieve in Slipknot.

This little motherfucker has filled in drums for Lars Ulrich in Metallica (we had Dave Lombardo in the help of Metallica too that one time and Jordison was the one who played the most songs in the show, in fact, after playing some songs Dave was not called back to play with the 'Tallica guys). He also filled in for Frost in Satyricon when he could not get into the U.S. and we all know that Frost shoes are not easy to fill. Not only that, but he also played live drums for the band Ministry; incredible achievements this little giant has done. He even made guest vocals for ancient pioneering band Necrophagia in the song "Stitch Her Further".

In Murderdolls Joey also lets us know that he can play guitars. They play Glam/Punk in this band and those genres do not require that insane guitar playing I would say. Nonetheless Jordison comes up with some catchy guitar solos there.

He not only plays drums and guitars but he also can write music for a whole band. He was one of the musicians selected (in fact the first one to come in mind) as "Team Captains" for the Roadrunner United project in which he produced, wrote the music and played drums in the tracks: "Annihilation By The Hands Of God", "Tired 'N Lonely" (he also played bass guitar in this one), "No Way Out" (he played bass guitar) and "Constitution Down" and "Enemy Of The State"; unfortunately I have not heard any of those yet. This means that this little fucker, if he wanted to, could make his own one-man band.

Their albums, well, "Mate.Feed.Kill.Repeat." was something weird I have to say. The self-titled was pretty good with a few songs you can consider as fillers. "IOWA" is my favorite; this is Slipknot's heaviest album to date and man, I took the juice out of it to the point I hardly play it these days, I just cannot stand it that much anymore after listening to it to exhaustion. And the "Volume 3 (The Subliminal Verses)" wasn't that bad but I was expecting them to keep what they presented in IOWA instead of going more melody oriented as they did and at the same time bringing a Corey Tailor who seemed to want to transform Slipknot into Stone Sour. Too much clean vocals, even for Slipknot.
----
Christless
24.09.2006 - 01:24
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Baz Anderson on 23.09.2006 at 18:56

why does everyone think Joey is such an amazing drummer?

The same reason why a lot of people think the Blink 182 drummer is amazing. lol that's something I've never understood
24.09.2006 - 22:47
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
all i can say is apparently Satyr thought him a sufficiently skilled drummer to fill in for Frost on a Satyricon US tour in 2004... that's a decent endorsement.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
25.09.2006 - 02:57
?Bodomchild?
Written by Dangerboner on 24.09.2006 at 01:24

Written by Baz Anderson on 23.09.2006 at 18:56

why does everyone think Joey is such an amazing drummer?

The same reason why a lot of people think the Blink 182 drummer is amazing. lol that's something I've never understood

Cuz a lot of people ho heard Slipknot and heard blin 182 so that people dont know a fuck about real music......and the most of that people have from 12 to 15 years....well in my country u can see it every day
----
asd
25.09.2006 - 06:30
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 24.09.2006 at 22:47

all i can say is apparently Satyr thought him a sufficiently skilled drummer to fill in for Frost on a Satyricon US tour in 2004... that's a decent endorsement.

Satyr is an asshole, if you ask me... a talented asshole... since I saw the DVD of their tour with Pantera I can't stand Satyr... but yes, Slipknot's drummer is amazing that's for sure...
25.09.2006 - 06:37
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Guest on 25.09.2006 at 06:30

Satyr is an asshole, if you ask me... a talented asshole... since I saw the DVD of their tour with Pantera I can't stand Satyr... but yes, Slipknot's drummer is amazing that's for sure...

Why is he an asshole?

I think he's overrated, BTW.
25.09.2006 - 06:39
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 25.09.2006 at 06:37

Written by Guest on 25.09.2006 at 06:30

Why is he an asshole?

I think he's overrated, BTW.

I think so, he's overrated except the first two albums tht are pretty amazing
26.09.2006 - 10:00
Baz Anderson
Staff
so being overrated makes him an 'asshole'?
27.09.2006 - 14:23
DyNo!!
Account deleted
in particular slipknot are overrated, 9 person that can't equal motorhead that are in 3...
but they're milionaire... 9 assholes
29.09.2006 - 00:52
Tencho
I love slipknot shows. they take to the end the energy of their songs
30.09.2006 - 19:04
rebelos
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 27.09.2006 at 14:23

in particular slipknot are overrated, 9 person that can't equal motorhead that are in 3...
but they're milionaire... 9 assholes

i disagree with you, Lemmy has one of the worst voices i've ever heard!
and they are not too technicall either
01.10.2006 - 01:01
Remus
Slipknot have maybe 3 that i like. Other than that, well...

Joey on the other hand is good though. On the Roadrunner United disc he blasts pretty well on "Anihilation by the hands of god" but he's definately not the "best drummer in the world"!
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
02.10.2006 - 20:41
Necronomicon
Account deleted
have anyone heard the new band one of the guys from slipknot has startet... it is some kind of pop/rock FUCK it sucks
02.10.2006 - 21:49
spirit_inblack
harshhead
A very happy birthday to James Root, the guaitarist today. He's got one of the better looking masks out the bunch. Not the most talented guitarist, but I enjoy to listen to his riffs and playing style.