Metal Storm logo
Slipknot

Original post

Posted by tulkas, 14.07.2006 - 09:15
Outside metal one of my favorite bands is Slipknot. I really like it for all the ideology they transmit with their music and their lyrics, which I consider the best I´ve seen. The thing is, a lot of my friends bother me because they don´t like it for some reason, soooo I just wanted to hear your opinion about this band, whether you like it or not and why, and if there´s any other fans like me out there?
28.01.2013 - 19:05
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Jtbmetal123 on 28.01.2013 at 14:35

I think Slipknot is gone, as much as I love that band. They are yesterdays news. Corey and Jim moved on to Stone Sour.

^^^This right here. I've been saying this same damn thing for years as well. SlipknoT should just throw in the towel and all members go their own way. I personally would love for Mick and Joey to start a thrash or death metal band together, I think that shit would wreck shop.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

29.01.2013 - 00:55
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by psykometal on 28.01.2013 at 19:05
^^^This right here. I've been saying this same damn thing for years as well. SlipknoT should just throw in the towel and all members go their own way. I personally would love for Mick and Joey to start a thrash or death metal band together, I think that shit would wreck shop.

Although many thrash/death fans would hate anything they did before they even heard it, I for one, would love to hear something in that vein from those two! A lot of people don't even realise that many of Slipknot's members were actually in death metal bands before Slipknot existed. No matter what anyone thinks about Slipknot, there is genuine talent in that band. Mick and Joey could create some awesome death or thrash together I'm sure, I doubt it will happen though... I like Slipknot, and even I think now is the time for them to call it a day.
29.01.2013 - 01:11
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Angelic Storm on 29.01.2013 at 00:55

Although many thrash/death fans would hate anything they did before they even heard it, I for one, would love to hear something in that vein from those two! A lot of people don't even realise that many of Slipknot's members were actually in death metal bands before Slipknot existed. No matter what anyone thinks about Slipknot, there is genuine talent in that band. Mick and Joey could create some awesome death or thrash together I'm sure, I doubt it will happen though... I like Slipknot, and even I think now is the time for them to call it a day.

All too true unfortunately that a lot of anti-Slipknot people would scoff at the idea of any new band that features members of Slipknot. They'd see the sticker on the cover that says "Featuring members of SlipknoT" and immediately disregard it as total garbage.

There really is a shit load of talent in the band but I don't feel that the evolution of said talent is so well suited for Slipknot anymore. Corey and James have definitely evolved as musicians in the direction best suited for Stone Sour and it bleeds into Slipknot too much now. I really do feel they all need to just throw in the towel and go their separate ways or if they are really just that intent on continueing to write music together maybe they need to let Slipknot rest and reorganize into a different band with a different name ( and just have "reunion tours" once every 5 years or so ).

Frankly knowing that Mick is really into thrash and death metal and Joey is really into death and black metal I'm really surprised the 2 of them have never tried to do any kind of death/black/thrash side project together away from Slipknot.
----

29.01.2013 - 01:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I have heard some of the stuff they did before Slipknot and that made Slipknot sound like a brilliant band to me

Meaning they are into that sort of music and are talented musicians is no guarantee they can pull it off.

Mike Portnoy is a huge fan of extreme metal but never played it cause, and he said that in an interview himself, he wouldn't be able too pull it off.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.01.2013 - 03:08
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.01.2013 at 01:22

Meaning they are into that sort of music and are talented musicians is no guarantee they can pull it off.

Mike Portnoy is a huge fan of extreme metal but never played it cause, and he said that in an interview himself, he wouldn't be able too pull it off.

Well Joey we know can play death and black metal just fine, look at his Roadrunner United track with Glen Benton and the fact he has performed with Satyricon. And I've read interviews with Mick and Corey talking about Mick enjoying playing death and thrash, plus the earlier Slipknot riffs from Mick were pretty capable of being used for death or thrash.

And you can't really gauge their current abilities based on pre-Slipknot death metal recordings. They are all vastly better musicians than way the fuck back then. You are still correct though that they may not be able to pull it off but I think they probably could though and I would definitely be more than happy to listen to any of such material if they should ever decide to branch out from Slipknot together just in case it does turn out to be as good as I am hoping.

I'll check out anything that Joey collaberates on though, Murderdolls was fucking ingenius on the first album, that second one though just sounded entirely too contrived.
----

29.01.2013 - 03:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by psykometal on 29.01.2013 at 03:08

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.01.2013 at 01:22

Well Joey we know can play death and black metal just fine, look at his Roadrunner United track with Glen Benton and the fact he has performed with Satyricon. And I've read interviews with Mick and Corey talking about Mick enjoying playing death and thrash, plus the earlier Slipknot riffs from Mick were pretty capable of being used for death or thrash.

And you can't really gauge their current abilities based on pre-Slipknot death metal recordings. They are all vastly better musicians than way the fuck back then. You are still correct though that they may not be able to pull it off but I think they probably could though and I would definitely be more than happy to listen to any of such material if they should ever decide to branch out from Slipknot together just in case it does turn out to be as good as I am hoping.

I'll check out anything that Joey collaberates on though, Murderdolls was fucking ingenius on the first album, that second one though just sounded entirely too contrived.

yes he perfomed with Satyricon and Slayer and Metallica but that was none of his own material. he was playing other people'stuff. And tbh the Roadrunner United track was a trainwreck.

As for the Murderdolls debut album well let's put it this way I find that even worse than the worse Slipknot album He is an extremely good drummer but just can't write music to save his life it seems (or at least for me he can't)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.01.2013 - 03:26
stupid noob
Account deleted

I think Slipknot is gone, as much as I love that band. They are yesterdays news. Corey and Jim moved on to Stone Sour.

Unfortunately I have to agree! With Stone Sour now being their primary focus, Slipknot may as well be dissolved so all members can focus on other projects. It pains me to think about a Slipknot-free world, but if it means other great albums for me to listen to then I'm all for it!
29.01.2013 - 04:02
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.01.2013 at 03:15

yes he perfomed with Satyricon and Slayer and Metallica but that was none of his own material. he was playing other people'stuff. And tbh the Roadrunner United track was a trainwreck.

As for the Murderdolls debut album well let's put it this way I find that even worse than the worse Slipknot album He is an extremely good drummer but just can't write music to save his life it seems (or at least for me he can't)

The parenthesis part is definitely accurate. But you are definitely pickier and more critical about metal than I am.

temporary deviation alert Speaking of Roadrunner United though, knowing that you are somewhat of a King Diamond fan of sorts (primarily Mercyful Fate of course ) I am curious to know how you felt about the Trivium/King Diamond track? I thought the track was pretty bitchin' but you and me almost never see eye to eye on our metal.
----

29.01.2013 - 04:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by psykometal on 29.01.2013 at 04:02

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.01.2013 at 03:15

The parenthesis part is definitely accurate. But you are definitely pickier and more critical about metal than I am.

temporary deviation alert Speaking of Roadrunner United though, knowing that you are somewhat of a King Diamond fan of sorts (primarily Mercyful Fate of course ) I am curious to know how you felt about the Trivium/King Diamond track? I thought the track was pretty bitchin' but you and me almost never see eye to eye on our metal.

that track was just weird. But then again the entire Roadrunner Untied album was a total shambles. If you want to hear good collaboartions listen to Probot. Or as a soundtrack the Jugement Night SOuntrack with metal teaming up with rap/hip hop
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.01.2013 - 05:24
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Marcel recommending Probot and the Judgement Night Soundtrack? I know a lot of people on here think that he is very one dimensional musically, even where metal is concerned, but I've definitely seen enough now to realise that is not quite true!

I certainly wouldn't disagree that the members' pre-Slipknot stuff wasn't very good, I just wanted to point out that they weren't exactly new to the world of extreme metal. I also very much agree with psykometal that many of the early Slipknot riffs easily could have been used for thrash, and particularly, death metal material.

On the issue of the current state of Slipknot... what made the early Slipknot material so captivating and great, was the genuine anger and rage that went into those recordings. Even using the death of Paul Gray as a catalyst, I think it will still be very difficult for the guys to revisit the spirit of their early days. Now, I realise this self same thing could be said of most bands, but for me, that hunger and rage was the key to Slipknot making their best material. If that can't be recaptured, then they should just call it a day really.
29.01.2013 - 06:08
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Angelic Storm on 29.01.2013 at 05:24

Now, I realise this self same thing could be said of most bands, but for me, that hunger and rage was the key to Slipknot making their best material. If that can't be recaptured, then they should just call it a day really.

Exactly! No rage means no Slipknot. And it certainly seems as though they have all grown-up and matured beyond that rage that made Slipknot the band that they were. But families and more introspective "other bands" have a tendency to do that to pissed off angsty musicians.
----

29.01.2013 - 17:17
Jtbmetal123

Written by psykometal on 28.01.2013 at 19:05

That would be interesting to see but I doubt it would ever happen.
29.01.2013 - 17:19
Jtbmetal123

Written by Guest on 29.01.2013 at 03:26

Unfortunately I have to agree! With Stone Sour now being their primary focus, Slipknot may as well be dissolved so all members can focus on other projects. It pains me to think about a Slipknot-free world, but if it means other great albums for me to listen to then I'm all for it!

I know man, I know its sad to see Slipknot go away,for the best interest for the members and fans,they should focus on other projects. There is great talent in ever member. Even 133.
31.01.2013 - 01:11
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by psykometal on 29.01.2013 at 06:08
Exactly! No rage means no Slipknot. And it certainly seems as though they have all grown-up and matured beyond that rage that made Slipknot the band that they were. But families and more introspective "other bands" have a tendency to do that to pissed off angsty musicians.

Well, the thing is, although you could make a similar case for a band say, like Metallica, it doesn't really work on the same level, as there was always more to Metallica than just anger. Even on their earliest material. Slipknot at their best, was always about undiluted rage, no matter what form it took. Whether on a more in your face song like "Disasterpiece", or one of their more abstract numbers like "Scissors", that was always an integral aspect of the band. To take that away, is to take the esscence of Slipknot away. Now that they're all (likely) millionaires, living comfortably in fancy houses, and able to tour in luxury, how are they supposed to conjur up that same level of emotion and rage that fuelled their early releases? Perhaps Paul's death could reignite a fire in them again, but I still have my reservations about that... Ultimately, I think it would be best for the other members to put their talents to use in other bands, and let Slipknot rest with their dignity still intact. xD
31.01.2013 - 20:45
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by Angelic Storm on 31.01.2013 at 01:11

Ultimately, I think it would be best for the other members to put their talents to use in other bands, and let Slipknot rest with their dignity still intact. xD

Slipknot has dignity? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I do not like Slipknot.
31.01.2013 - 20:58
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Azarath on 31.01.2013 at 20:45
Slipknot has dignity? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I do not like Slipknot.

Stating your dislike of Slipknot was not necessary, when your initial comment had already made that blatantly obvious.
01.02.2013 - 23:35
Seita
Account deleted
It's nice to see an intelligent, introspective and sincere discussion happening about Slipknot on a metal forum since so many "true" metal fans love to criticize and insult the band to no end and, really, for no good reason either.

I very much enjoy Slipknot and appreciate how much progression they have made as a band from album-to-album. The self-titled is the epitome of angst-ridden aggression and Iowa is the natural progression and refinement of this sound; Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses) is a brilliant, experimental and progressive album whilst All Hope Is Gone is one of the finest modern metal recordings around, taking elements from all previous albums and introducing some new ones as well.

I can see where people are coming from saying that the band should just part ways and focus on other projects. I admittedly am only familiar with Stone Sour although I know other members have other projects; Stone Sour is okay but it's missing something, just seems kind of passionless and predictable. Nevertheless, I would be interested to hear a new Slipknot album and am hoping for one in the future. I wouldn't mind if the band goes down a more "mellow" road as long as it's genuine and spirited although I am not sure if that will happen; some people consider Vol. 3 a mellow record but I think it rips, emotionally and otherwise.
08.04.2013 - 13:04
FuckFakeMetal

Reasons why Slipknot sucks:

Joey Jordison needs 3 drummers to play.
99% of the members don't do anything at all.
Member statistic:
Singers:67
Guitarists:289
Bassists:422
Drummers:954
Members that don't do anything:unknown but its believed that slipknot has between 2000-13 000 members.Some rumours even say it is as much as 20 000 members.

99% of the fans are bandmembers
Joey Jordison can't even hit his drums
Paul Gray sucked at bass
Their guitarist can only play open string powerchords in drop tuning
Corey Taylor sounds like he has a cock in throat

Their fans the maggots are the most butthurt fans ever,they are immature,childish,rude,violent and ignorant when it comes to music.
They threaten everyone who don't like this band with death and beatings.

Its not metal,its pop.
08.04.2013 - 20:30
Rasputin

Slipknot may have been one of the bands to go head to head with the European scene, however, once they replaced their original vocalist, everything went to hell. I can respect what they once stood for, or started with, and regardless of their musical ability that has improved, they placed too large of a stain on their name to be salvaged. They are talented, they could do so much more, yet album after album they just never seem to tap into that potential.
08.04.2013 - 21:43
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by FuckFakeMetal on 08.04.2013 at 13:04

Joey Jordison needs 3 drummers to play.
Joey Jordison can't even hit his drums

Its not metal,its pop.

I fucking hate Slipknot's music, but I would never deny Joey Jordison's abilities as a drummer. His playing style is solid, and he can fill in for just about any style of drummer on a tour. He's a fantastic drummer, but happens to be in a terrible band. Also, Slipknot don't play pop, they play a form of metal, just one I don't like.
08.04.2013 - 23:58
psykometal
A staff guy...
Their original vocalist was horrible, they didn't start "going head to head with Europe" until they fired that original jack-off and hired Corey. Joey's drummer is a beast. And the new guy above is either trolling or he's very immature, he's using the very old "Joey Jordison needs 3 drummers to play" excuse to hate on slipknot which was lame the first time somebody threw it out and it's still a weak and lame excuse/insult. Either way, he's not worth the time or enery to respond to so forget about him.
----

09.04.2013 - 01:00
Rasputin

Written by psykometal on 08.04.2013 at 23:58

Their original vocalist was horrible, they didn't start "going head to head with Europe" until they fired that original jack-off and hired Corey. Joey's drummer is a beast. And the new guy above is either trolling or he's very immature, he's using the very old "Joey Jordison needs 3 drummers to play" excuse to hate on slipknot which was lame the first time somebody threw it out and it's still a weak and lame excuse/insult. Either way, he's not worth the time or enery to respond to so forget about him.

They never got to go "head to head" with Europe, although they have a chance now, since European scene is stagnant and collapsing on itself. I actually liked the original vocalist as a vocalist, I will not go into discussing his personality, since I am not familiar with it. To be honest, I could care less for Slipknot in almost any installation, for me they belong to a different crowd that I do not like to associate with. But then again, the US scene is not one I care for at all, but that's not to say that there are no good bands. Slipknot is too "open," too close to mainstream for my taste, but taste differ. If you like it, more power to you.
09.04.2013 - 02:36
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Rasputin on 09.04.2013 at 01:00

They never got to go "head to head" with Europe, although they have a chance now, since European scene is stagnant and collapsing on itself. I actually liked the original vocalist as a vocalist, I will not go into discussing his personality, since I am not familiar with it. To be honest, I could care less for Slipknot in almost any installation, for me they belong to a different crowd that I do not like to associate with. But then again, the US scene is not one I care for at all, but that's not to say that there are no good bands. Slipknot is too "open," too close to mainstream for my taste, but taste differ. If you like it, more power to you.

I misread your post, I was under the impression you were saying they went head to head with Europe until they hired Corey.

I don't know the guy either but those comments are clearly either trolling or immature.

I used to be a die-hard Slipknot fan but haven't cared much for them since Vol. 3, loved eponymous and Iowa though. Now though I wish they would just break up and do their own things and just maybe regroup every few to five years for a reunion tour and then disband again for another few to five years, I don't think any of them have the frame of mind to write proper Slipknot music anymore.
----

09.04.2013 - 02:58
Rasputin

Written by psykometal on 09.04.2013 at 02:36

Written by Rasputin on 09.04.2013 at 01:00

I misread your post, I was under the impression you were saying they went head to head with Europe until they hired Corey.

I don't know the guy either but those comments are clearly either trolling or immature.

I used to be a die-hard Slipknot fan but haven't cared much for them since Vol. 3, loved eponymous and Iowa though. Now though I wish they would just break up and do their own things and just maybe regroup every few to five years for a reunion tour and then disband again for another few to five years, I don't think any of them have the frame of mind to write proper Slipknot music anymore.

To be honest, there are very few bands in general, that can write proper music anymore. 7-8 years ago, I was not able to go through all the albums, because there were so many of them, now, if I find 5 I am amazed, regardless of "genre."
I think also, that some bands just need to stop, or make a new band and experiment, since a lot of them ruined their rep. by making dumb choices. But that is another topic.
09.04.2013 - 06:55
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by FuckFakeMetal on 08.04.2013 at 13:04

Blah, blah, blah...

I swear to God I've seen that post before...
And even then, it was gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy...
09.04.2013 - 07:13
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Guest on 09.04.2013 at 06:55

I swear to God I've seen that post before...
And even then, it was gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy...

Dude, I've seen AND heard that argument multiple times for over a decade!
----

09.04.2013 - 07:15
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by psykometal on 09.04.2013 at 07:13

Dude, I've seen AND heard that argument multiple times for over a decade!

Thought it looked familiar.
Still gaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy, though.
09.04.2013 - 07:19
psykometal
A staff guy...
More reasons to not take that guy seriously at all: he created an account with a bunch of retarded info, posted 1 single post in the Slipknot forum talking retarded shit, then fucked off and hasn't logged back in since.

And look at his personal info:

Fake Metal
Avenged Sevenfold
Slipknot
Suicide Silence
Trivium
New Metallica
Dragonforce
Bring Me The Horizon
All That Remains
Lamb Of God and every nu metal,metalcore and deathcore band

I may not like all those bands but they're ALL clearly metal, so he's definitely either extremely immature/naive or just a troll.
----

09.04.2013 - 07:40
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by psykometal on 09.04.2013 at 07:19

More reasons to not take that guy seriously at all: he created an account with a bunch of retarded info, posted 1 single post in the Slipknot forum talking retarded shit, then fucked off and hasn't logged back in since.

That sucks. I wanted to yell at him, call him a fag and just unleash 31 flavors of hell on this thread.
Oh, well.
09.04.2013 - 15:03
FuckFakeMetal

Written by psykometal on 09.04.2013 at 07:19

And look at his personal info:

Fake Metal
Avenged Sevenfold
Slipknot
Suicide Silence
Trivium
New Metallica
Dragonforce
Bring Me The Horizon
All That Remains
Lamb Of God and every nu metal,metalcore and deathcore band

I may not like all those bands but they're ALL clearly metal, so he's definitely either extremely immature/naive or just a troll.

How the fuck are they metal?
Fake metal poser faggots is what they are.