7 users:
Band: Moss
Album: Tombs Of The Blind Drugged
Release date: 2009

01. Skeletal Keys
02. Tombs Of The Blind Drugged
03. Eternal Return
04. Maimed And Slaughtered [Discharge cover]

The masters of the filthy tunnel of horrors are back with a new invitation to a journey of insanity. Still on Rise Above Records, the British Moss desires no change in style. Why change a winning formula, after all? Their two full-lengths, Chtonic Rites and Sub Templum, where two albums filled with Drone, Doom, various perverted and distorted audial extremities and a healthy dose of madness. "Tombs Of The Blind Drugged" is no different.

Although, this is actually a compilation containing only four short songs so in that sense it's not really a full-length. But then again, the word 'short' here should be read into context (which is, obviously, Drone Doom) so all in all this thing is still longer than Slayer's "Reign In Blood". The first three songs were crafted by typical Moss-aesthetics: slow, noisy and oh so extreme. They don't do much different than they did on their previous stuff, but I'm glad to announce that the production has returned to the sound of Chtonic Rites rather than continue the lighter sound of Sub Templum, so we're once again treated to Moss in its densest and fullest form.

The fourth track is where things are really getting interesting though. "Maimed And Slaughtered" is a cover of should-be legends Discharge and a really great cover at that. Of course the original version was a killer track but Moss' version really fucking slays! Starting out with distorted drones and brooding drumming, Moss takes its deconstructionism to the point where this songs is nothing but a mess of ugly drones with pissed-off Eyehategod-esque vocals, rhythmic entrancing drumming and wailing, slow whammy bar abuse. Especially that whammy bar stuff is something they should do more often!

In conclusion, "Tombs Of The Blind Drugged" is again a release in the vein of classic Moss. It doesn't top either Chtonic Rites or Sub Templum, but it is definitely worthy of your time. Newbies to this band should go for the full-lengths first, seasoned sickos know what their next trip of perversion will lead to.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 7

Written on 04.05.2009 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 100 users
04.05.2009 - 23:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
OKay, so this is an e.p. but why does it say at the top, under the album title, that it is a compilation?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.05.2009 - 23:46
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.05.2009 at 23:32

OKay, so this is an e.p. but why does it say at the top, under the album title, that it is a compilation?

Amusingly, the promotional notes that came with the album claim that this is in fact an LP.
04.05.2009 - 23:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by jupitreas on 04.05.2009 at 23:46

Amusingly, the promotional notes that came with the album claim that this is in fact an LP.

Guess that means it will only be released on vinyl then?
Which is of course totally possible.

But having three new songs on it and a cover I still can't see it being a compilation. A compilation would mean, at l;east to me, that a lot of it would also be old songs.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.05.2009 - 23:53
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.05.2009 at 23:50

Written by jupitreas on 04.05.2009 at 23:46

Guess that means it will only be released on vinyl then?
Which is of course totally possible.

But having three new songs on it and a cover I still can't see it being a compilation. A compilation would mean, at l;east to me, that a lot of it would also be old songs.

Not vinyl, LP can also mean long play CD...

Anyway, regarding the review and the album - pretty much spot on. I still think Moss needs to learn to meander less.
05.05.2009 - 03:23
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Well this album is a compilation of two eps released in the same year. with a bonus track? i dunno what to call it, really.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
05.05.2009 - 15:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Lucas on 05.05.2009 at 03:23

Well this album is a compilation of two eps released in the same year. with a bonus track? i dunno what to call it, really.

Aha I see, then it IS a compilation I guess.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.10.2009 - 13:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
'Maimed And Slaugthered' is unfortunately not featured on the cd-version of Tombs Of The Blind Drugged so that means I will also have to hunt down the vinyl version.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 6823 | This month: 22