01. Intro
02. Try Future
03. Cave Dweller
04. Zombie Burial
05. Embers
06. Traitor
07. Science Parade
08. The Next World Master Will Carry My Blood

Try Future is a strange little record. One thing is certain - this is completely unique music. Sure, influences are present, echoes of other bands can be heard here and there, this is still metal; however, the fact remains that I have never heard anything quite like it before.

Although elements of post-hardcore, symphonic and industrial are present in Antigua & Barbuda's sound, this is primarily a black metal record at heart. Or at least, that is the impression I got, since Try Future is quite unusual. A song like "Embers" combines a maelstrom black metal assault with post-metal textures and drones. The title track resembles Botch for about 2 minutes before slaying with an absolutely killer Amesoeurs-style black-gaze riff, culminating in an industrial coda. Interesting stuff right? Well, wait for it - even more strange, and certainly annoying as hell upon initial listen, are the vocals squeaking their way from beyond the music. Think Converge's Jacob Bannon and his clean vocals but resembling a whiny, weeping baby even more than he does. But frankly, far more annoying than the vocals are the phone sounds present in some songs. I fucking hate that. I promise you, if I ever again have to stumble out of bed looking for my cellphone or haphazardly skim my system tray for the Skype icon, you will have my cat's life on your conscience.

But you know what? Despite inciting my unadulterated hatred on a few occasions, I like this album. Being annoying is a part of doing your own thing and I accept that. Try Future gets my recommendation.

Written on 04.05.2009 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 54 users
05.05.2009 - 03:53
Fhuesc

What a strange band name
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
05.05.2009 - 09:43
silenius

Hmm, sounds fun^^ will have to check it out, with phone sounds or not;D
06.05.2009 - 00:19
Promonex
Cathemeral
This review had me stuttering WTF at least four times. Guess I'll have to check this out now. No idea whether I'm gonna like it, but thanks for the recommendation anyway.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
31.01.2010 - 01:38
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
The actual name of the band is Antigua Y Barbuda, since they're Spanish.

Review made me really interested in the band, definetly check them out. Metal Archives describes them merely as Progressive Metal, but through jupitreas review I can see that is much more than that.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/

Hits total: 4593 | This month: 7