02. Call Of The Nameless Black
03. A Toil Beneath The Skin
04. Blood, Be Gone!
05. A Curse For The Dead
06. The Luring Depths
07. The Inimical
08. Man-Beast
09. The Reaping Of Flesh And Blood

Imagine going into a hotel elevator only to discover that the elevator man is wearing corpsepaint. The man then proceeds to screaming about Satan and blood, running around really fast and generally making a nuisance of himself throughout the ride. The Legion's music is exactly like that - it might seem like fun but in the end is still black metal elevator music.

The problem with the material on A Bliss To Suffer is that it is so pedestrian. There is no sense of threat here, no spark that would make silly occult lyrics seem convincing and absolutely no staying power. At least The Legion are a pretty fast band, so boring ideas don't linger for too long. Ex-Marduk drummer Emil Dragutinovic contributes some very speedy blastbeats while the rest of the band concentrates on rolling riffs and half growled half screamed vocals. Considering the drummer's connection and the name of the band, I wouldn't be surprised if Marduk and Keep Of Kalessin were the main inspirations here, but you know what - I hate to break it to you but those bands are fairly boring to begin with. I can't help but imagine the following train of thought taking place in the composition of this music - "Hmm, we have a pretty boring riff here, maybe if we play it faster nobody will notice?" Well, I noticed and here is something else that caught my attention: A Bliss To Suffer is one hell of an unintentionally funny record. A title like "Blood, be gone!" and overwrought, faux-poetic musings in "Call Of The Nameless Black" are just too hilarious to be for real.

So yeah, A Bliss To Suffer is on paper a pretty tolerable black metal release - it is fast, occult and atmospheric. Unfortunately, it is also uninspired and boring. And there is a reason why you don't tip the elevator man...

Written on 04.05.2009 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 79 users
05.05.2009 - 12:20
silenius

The song titels are extremely cliché if you ask me^^ Man-beast, CMON
06.05.2009 - 00:00
Rupert

Ha jup you've been writing some great reviews lately. But could this be a mock/satire band?

Hits total: 5076 | This month: 4