01. Tuistos Herz
02. Der Tod Wuotans
03. Ansuzgardaraiwô
04. Die Liebe Nerþus'
05. Frijôs Einsames Trauern
06. Einfühlungsvermögen
07. Frijôs Goldene Tränen
08. Der Weinende Hadnur

Burzum is a well known one-man band that is appreciated by metalheads worldwide mainly because of his black metal albums. However, that doesn't mean that he can compose only black metal and nothing else. On "Filosofem" Varg has proved that he is able to create an outstanding ambient music with the keyboard. He continued to make the great music on this later works.

"Hlidskjalf" is the latest and the shortest Burzum album. The first three are nothing but pure ambient masterpieces. The next tracks, "Die Liebe Nerpus'", is the most accessible Burzum track and the true highlight of the album. The next four tracks are slower than the first four tracks, probably because Varg wants to calm the listener down and let him fall asleep (we already saw this on "Filosofem" and "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss", haven't we?)

The album as a whole creates a haunting mountain ambient which takes you into a breathtaking journey through the dark forest. That is how I fell when listening to the album. The production is very good (this can be noticed clearly if you compare any track from this album with "Tomhet" or "Rundgang Um Die Transzendentale Saule Der Singularitat") and the same goes for the performance. The album is not very original because we already saw the similar music (Dead Can Dance - "Within the Realm of a Dying Sun" - an example).

Finally, this album is highly recommended to all who want to listen to something good. The first four tracks can match the works of the most awesome electronic bands like Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream. If you don't mind listening to something different and if you understand that the aesthetics are the least important part of the music than you will enjoy this album.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written by metalhead3 | 04.05.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 140 users
05.05.2009 - 16:00
Rating: 6
HardSide

Excellent review, hit it on the mark.
06.05.2009 - 16:39
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Quote:
If you don't mind listening to something different and if you understand that the aesthetics are the least important part of the music than you will enjoy this album.

Completely agree on that.
Although I think that Daudi Baldrs is better But both are good imo.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
22.06.2009 - 01:43
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Of the ambient albums, this is truly the best one to me.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
16.01.2010 - 01:17
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Pretty good album. Anyone into this and Daudi Baldrs should check out Trauma Absurdicum.
02.05.2012 - 18:46
Parasomnia

Recorded while he was in prison for murder too lol, adds another layer to the dark atmosphere.

Hits total: 6744 | This month: 5