04. Recueillement
05. Faux Semblants
06. I XIII V XIX XV V XXI XVIII XIX - IX XIX - IV V I IV
07. Trouble (Eveils Infâmes)
08. Video Girl
09. La Reine Trayeuse
10. Amesoeurs
11. Au Crépuscule De Nos Rêves

Amusingly, when I type "Amesoeurs" into the OpenOffice.org Writer, the spell checker politely suggests that perhaps I meant "Amateurs" or "Poseurs". Luckily, neither of these terms apply to Neige's post-punk/black metal project; however, this doesn't prevent the long awaited and highly anticipated Amesoeurs LP from being a disappointment.

Compared to the excellent Ruines Humaines EP from 2006, Amesoeurs goes in a decidedly more post-punk direction, recalling particularly The Sound in both mood and song structure. Actually - wait! Since nobody on the Internet seems to have noticed this, let me repeat myself:

Amesoeurs' post-punk tracks resemble Adrian Borland's band almost to the point of being a rip-off!!

...and therein also lies the biggest problem with this release - Amesoeurs' re-interpretation of the style is simply lackluster. The paranoid, claustrophobic guitar lines are replaced here by far more simple blackened versions and Audrey Sylvain's emotionless vocals do nothing to elevate the songs from mediocrity. Meanwhile, Neige unleashes his scream far more sporadically in the few more black metal oriented tracks on Amesoeurs and even those excursions are not particularly impressive. In "Recueuillement", for example, he does a short duet with Sylvain that reminds me far too much of the 'beauty and the beast' abominations of yesteryear. Nevertheless, tracks like "Gas In Vein" and "Trouble (Eveils Infâmes)" provide some fairly decent black metal, while "Heurt" with Sylvain on vocals is actually the best song on the album since it mixes her vocals with very fast blast beats. Unfortunately, nothing here is mind blowing or inspiring the same sense of awe that the band's EP did.

Perhaps I'm being too harsh here since after all, few black metal fans are likely to be fans of The Sound at the same time. To them, Amesoeurs' music will sound fresh, exciting, unique and perhaps even beautiful. Nevertheless, those looking for a far more successful hybrid of post-punk and black metal should listen to Have A Nice Life's Deathconsciousness instead.

Written on 05.05.2009 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Guest review by
Unhealer
Rating:
I remember checking out this record for the first time almost three years ago. Back then when I didn't even know who Neige was and I usually wasn't very passionate about the thought of metal blending with other considerably different music styles. Being just not ready for this kind of release, I turned it down at first listen. Years later, after getting into the likes of Alcest and Les Discrets and having expanded my tastes further beyond the boundaries of metal, I was reminded of that strange project Amesoeurs and I decided to give it another chance.

Read more ››
published 03.03.2012 | Comments (12)

Comments

Comments: 26   Visited by: 280 users
05.05.2009 - 21:16
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
When i first read it... i thought: why he is so HARSH!!! ... its is one of my fav. releases of the year...but when i gave a listen to "Ruines Humaines"....i knew what is your point behind this review....yeah they had a little bit change in style....and this record could be better if they just kept the same vein...

and its may be these changes were the reason behind the band split....
06.05.2009 - 09:04
Rating: 9
gid

Just a note jupitreas: the track "I XII V XIX XV V XXI XVIII XIX - IX XIX - IV V I IV" is the piano interlude. The black metal track after the interlude is called "Trouble (éveils infâmes)".

While I really like this album, I think I still prefer "Ruines humaines".
06.05.2009 - 09:06
gid

Written by pazuzuovbabel on 05.05.2009 at 21:16

and its may be these changes were the reason behind the band split....

Nah, I think it was to do with bandmembers' personal problems, rather than any disagreement of where the music was going. They had already decided to split up before recording this album. If the problem had been the music, they wouldn't have recorded it.
06.05.2009 - 10:32
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by gid on 06.05.2009 at 09:04

Just a note jupitreas: the track "I XII V XIX XV V XXI XVIII XIX - IX XIX - IV V I IV" is the piano interlude. The black metal track after the interlude is called "Trouble (éveils infâmes)".

Cheers, seems like I mislabeled a song. Not particularly surprising since I dont know French
06.05.2009 - 12:48
Promonex
Cathemeral
Written by jupitreas on 06.05.2009 at 10:32

Written by gid on 06.05.2009 at 09:04

Cheers, seems like I mislabeled a song. Not particularly surprising since I dont know French

Even the label had the two songs mixed up in the booklets, so it's not really surprising that reviewers all over the world have done so as well.

Anyway, I've enjoyed this release a lot, but had to realize that I'm not all too familiar with their influences. Which albums by The Sounds would you recommend the most?
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
06.05.2009 - 13:01
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by Promonex on 06.05.2009 at 12:48

Even the label had the two songs mixed up in the booklets, so it's not really surprising that reviewers all over the world have done so as well.

Anyway, I've enjoyed this release a lot, but had to realize that I'm not all too familiar with their influences. Which albums by The Sounds would you recommend the most?

Just for the sake of clarity - it's The Sound, ie. singular, not plural. I'm saying this since there also exists a band called The Sounds
I'd recommend starting with the album From The Lion's Mouth. Not only is it a great album, it also contains their most basic style, without detours into other genres, experiments etc. and therefore a great place to start. BTW - no idea if the Sound was an actual influence (although since they are an inportant post-punk band and Amesoeurs claim to be post-punk it is likely).
06.05.2009 - 16:00
Rating: 7
Talvi

Thanks jupitreas! Your reviews are always the best ones because you don't hear just metal. Most people are overrating this album a lot. I'll try that album from The Sound too since I liked Amesoeurs approach to post-punk.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
06.05.2009 - 16:15
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I disagree with the review.
Yeah, I'm not that into other kind of black Metal/punk ro whatever so that's maybe the reason to why I found this album to be beautiful and brilliant. I wouldn't vote for it for the awards though. Because it's not Black metal enough.

And I don't see a problem with the originality. I've seen far worse cases of rip-off albums and they do have good reviews. Originality isn't a big deal for me [although it's always welcome] but it's the performance that count and I think they did a great job. Specially the vocalist. Nice voice.

I do agree with one thing... Heurt is the best song. Really amazing.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
06.05.2009 - 20:37
gid

Written by Promonex on 06.05.2009 at 12:48

Actually, I spoke to Fursy (the bassist and the guy who did the booklet design) and he said he switched the track order around on the last page of the booklet for purely aesthetic reasons. There was no mistake... but the track listing on the back of the case is the correct order.
06.05.2009 - 21:35
Promonex
Cathemeral
Written by gid on 06.05.2009 at 20:37

Actually, I spoke to Fursy (the bassist and the guy who did the booklet design) and he said he switched the track order around on the last page of the booklet for purely aesthetic reasons. There was no mistake... but the track listing on the back of the case is the correct order.

Well, Fursy has also posted a bulletin on Myspace:

Quote:
Hi

Due to comments on internet, i want to let you know that i did a mistake in the tracklist written in the very booklet. The songs "I XIII V...." and "Troubles" have been switched. We have checked it a thousand time but as the diction in graphic design says "There is always a mistake in every album artwork"... But the tracklist on the back cover is alright.
All apologies for this, it's quite a big mistake which will be corrected in the next printings processes...

Fursy
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
06.05.2009 - 21:48
gid

Weird. He told me it was intentional. Ah well.
07.05.2009 - 00:43
Ag Fox
Angel No More
I don't normally listen to Black or post punk, so I disagree with the harsh review as I can't really compare with other works of the genre. I just think the music in here is a great listen. I enjoyed Ruines Humaines, but I also really enjoy their s/t album. Just not too happy that they have to split...
----
loves 小巫
07.05.2009 - 19:21
Damnated
Churchburner
good review. i especially liked that, unlike most listeners of this album, you compare it to post-punk and not to black metal. this is how it should be, as this album is hardly more than an average post-punk album.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
12.05.2009 - 01:58
DreadfulYgg

I've come to enjoy this album, though I'll be the first one to admit that it was an overall disappointment. Expectations were off the charts for this album, so I almost feel bad for the band. But I have been wondering whether or not the decided split for the band prior to recording the music had anything to do with the decrease in quality of the songs. I mean, how excited and inspired would you be if you knew that you wouldn't be making music for the band ever again? So, that's my theory. At least we have Alcest though. =)
13.05.2009 - 17:16
Rating: 8
Elio
Red Nightmare
This album is one of the best from this year. Still Alcest is better
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
15.05.2009 - 13:14
Merchant of Doom

I think you are way out of kilter when you say Amesoeurs are almost a rip-off of The Sound... I can only hear some Sound's notes in Les Ruches Malades, and the basslines in Faux Semblants and Video Girl are "Soundesque", but a rip-off? Come on! Do you think Amesoeurs have ever heard of The Sound? You are just misleadings your young readers here, mate. They'll flock to buy The Sound's albums and they'll find no "Black Metal". Amesoeurs just don't sound like The Sound (pun intended). Period. It's all in your head... I thought the MDB review was funny, but you are clutching at straws now... You should get the sack, ASAP.

BTW, the best Sound's album is "All Fall Down", way better than the formulaic "From The Lion's Mouth"... believe me, I have all the original LPs, even the crappy ones...
15.05.2009 - 16:03
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by Merchant of Doom on 15.05.2009 at 13:14

I think you are way out of kilter when you say Amesoeurs are almost a rip-off of The Sound... I can only hear some Sound's notes in Les Ruches Malades, and the basslines in Faux Semblants and Video Girl are "Soundesque", but a rip-off? Come on! Do you think Amesoeurs have ever heard of The Sound? You are just misleadings your young readers here, mate. They'll flock to buy The Sound's albums and they'll find no "Black Metal". Amesoeurs just don't sound like The Sound (pun intended). Period. It's all in your head... I thought the MDB review was funny, but you are clutching at straws now... You should get the sack, ASAP.

BTW, the best Sound's album is "All Fall Down", way better than the formulaic "From The Lion's Mouth"... believe me, I have all the original LPs, even the crappy ones...

Wow, I'm really impressed that you own all the original Sound LPs. That is so cool and everything. Why don't you go ahead and listen to "All Fall Down" while learning how to read. You know, words mean different things when they are organized in various ways.

For example: "Amesoeurs' post-punk tracks resemble Adrian Borland's band almost to the point of being a rip-off!!" does not actually mean "Amesoeurs listen to The Sound all the time and rip them off in every song on this album". It just means that the post-punk portions of this album sound like The Sound (pun intended). Furthermore, let me clue you in on a little secret - you are free to disagree with me! You can even post your review of this album on Metal Storm.

Don't worry, I won't be sacked. Kinda hard to get sacked for stating your opinion in a review. Unless, of course, you believe everyone who disagrees with you should get shot. If that is the case, you are probably the reason why Adrian Borland jumped under that train in the first place. Thanks. I'd certainly prefer a new Sound album over Amesoeurs' lackluster take at post-punk.

BTW, sorry to be redundant but once again, I never wrote that "From The Lion's Mouth" is their best album, I merely stated it is a good place to start, unlike "All Fall Down", which is a far less accessible record.
15.05.2009 - 17:02
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
O well, I still don't see what's bad about the album. Because the only bad thing Jupitreas kept writing over and over again was the lack of originality and almost being a rip-off. So what? There are hundreds of albums that are less original than this.

I find the review really subjective. "Amesoeurs' re-interpretation of the style is simply lackluster"... well, maybe for you.

But yeah, if there's something I agree with, is that I find stupid to just start whining about the review. I don't like it, but I don't want you to be dead
----
Rod, let me love you.
15.05.2009 - 17:08
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by X-Ray Rod on 15.05.2009 at 17:02

O well, I still don't see what's bad about the album. Because the only bad thing Jupitreas kept writing over and over again was the lack of originality and almost being a rip-off. So what? There are hundreds of albums that are less original than this.

I find the review really subjective. "Amesoeurs' re-interpretation of the style is simply lackluster"... well, maybe for you.

But yeah, if there's something I agree with, is that I find stupid to just start whining about the review. I don't like it, but I don't want you to be dead

Exactly. A review is really just a subjective critique, I think some people can't seem to grasp this concept. If this review annoys someone and they love the album, it still does its job since I made it clear that it is my opinion.
15.05.2009 - 17:11
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by jupitreas on 15.05.2009 at 17:08

Exactly. A review is really just a subjective critique, I think some people can't seem to grasp this concept. If this review annoys someone and they love the album, it still does its job since I made it clear that it is my opinion.

The funny thing is that thanks to your review... I really like this album. When I was hear for a couple of weeks ago. I saw the artwork in the "review list" in the index of MS. I thought that it looked nice so I read and then listened.
I've been listening to their songs every day since those weeks ago
----
Rod, let me love you.
15.05.2009 - 17:34
Merchant of Doom

Written by jupitreas on 15.05.2009 at 16:03

Wow, I'm really impressed that you own all the original Sound LPs. That is so cool and everything. Why don't you go ahead and listen to "All Fall Down" while learning how to read. You know, words mean different things when they are organized in various ways.

For example: "Amesoeurs' post-punk tracks resemble Adrian Borland's band almost to the point of being a rip-off!!" does not actually mean "Amesoeurs listen to The Sound all the time and rip them off in every song on this album". It just means that the post-punk portions of this album sound like The Sound (pun intended). Furthermore, let me clue you in on a little secret - you are free to disagree with me! You can even post your review of this album on Metal Storm.

Don't worry, I won't be sacked. Kinda hard to get sacked for stating your opinion in a review. Unless, of course, you believe everyone who disagrees with you should get shot. If that is the case, you are probably the reason why Adrian Borland jumped under that train in the first place. Thanks. I'd certainly prefer a new Sound album over Amesoeurs' lackluster take at post-punk.

BTW, sorry to be redundant but once again, I never wrote that "From The Lion's Mouth" is their best album, I merely stated it is a good place to start, unlike "All Fall Down", which is a far less accessible record.

I'll keep it short (and I will ignore you cheap, childish "humour"). With your "imaginative" Sound (and Borland) comparisons (attempt to show how "cool" or knowledgeable you are? God only knows), you are misleading Metal Storm's users. You are a disservice to them and to Metal Storm as well. One thing is expressing your opinion, another is writing bullshit.
25.05.2009 - 19:40
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Okay, i don't know The Sound. I don't know a thing about post-punk and to be honest it all seems too far away from me to care.
What I do know is Neige is bloody good!
12.10.2009 - 13:12
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Yeah, I disagree with harshness of the review for the same reason as some other people here. I really enjoyed this one, but honestly I know shit all about this genre so I really don't have much frame of reference, nor can I disagree with the actual content of the review. I'll definitely have a look into the other stuff you mentioned when I get some free time, Jerry.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
01.12.2009 - 18:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Quote:

Perhaps I'm being too harsh here since after all, few black metal fans are likely to be fans of The Sound at the same time. To them, Amesoeurs' music will sound fresh, exciting, unique and perhaps even beautiful.

I am a black metal fan and not a fan of The Sound or any post punk/new wave for that matter and to me Amesoeurs's music does not sound fresh, exciting, unique and not beautiful. It sounds uninspired, tired, lacklustre and will cure anyone suffering from insomnia. This is to me just as horrendous as what Lifelover does (mixing black metal with Coldplay)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.12.2009 - 18:51
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.12.2009 at 18:48

This is to me just as horrendous as what Lifelover does (mixing black metal with Coldplay)

Oh, now I know why I love both bands
Although it's kinda weird... I don't like Coldplay at all but I do like when bands like Lifelover use influences from them.
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.12.2009 - 19:02
Elio
Red Nightmare
"Nevertheless, those looking for a far more successful hybrid of post-punk and black metal should listen to Have A Nice Life's Deathconsciousness instead."

Amen.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.

Hits total: 8136 | This month: 10